Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Chainclaw posted:

You know you've probably just started people listing off a bunch of Saturn games that are still playable today, and aren't available elsewhere. Like Three Dirty Dwarves, that is still a fantastic 3 player brawler. It's got a fantastic art style to it, it's got really crazy boss fights and enemy design, and each dwarf plays a little different. The recovery mechanic is great, too, it's a lot like more recent coop games. There's no lives per player, if your health runs out, you are knocked out. As long as all three players aren't knocked out at the same time, the game continues. When you're knocked out, another player can walk over to revive you.

Three dirty dwarves was also on pc. It's interesting to me that PC games rarely count for people putting together retro collections unless the person is very specifically a computer game collector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Caitlin posted:

I don't know if I can handle that kind of creepy, but what really got me was she said it was on her doorstep. Her loving doorstep. No P.O. box, she just gave some dude her address. :psyduck:

Really though I just :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames: so much that it's vaguely appealing while being intensely creepy. Another 20 bucks blown on batteries and battery holders for the SNES carts...

It's extra lame since the collection is so huge, quality (I assume, I just scanned the video briefly because it is as creepy as gently caress), and in incredible condition. The dude just had to do the one creepy thing he could do with it. Why didn't he just make a video of this collection and blow everyone's minds?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Quidnose posted:

I tweaked my desktop setup this evening a tad:

SO stoked. :smugdog:

Can you explain the Game Genie being used for The Legend of Zelda? Not trying to get all "gaming prowess supremacy" on you, but that's like putting training wheels on a bike for a 15-year-old - you're either going to grasp the concept of balance, or you should just stop.

(I mean this as lighthearted as possible; maybe you used the Game Genie as some sort of filter because you were too lazy to clean connectors?)

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Can you explain the Game Genie being used for The Legend of Zelda? Not trying to get all "gaming prowess supremacy" on you, but that's like putting training wheels on a bike for a 15-year-old - you're either going to grasp the concept of balance, or you should just stop.

(I mean this as lighthearted as possible; maybe you used the Game Genie as some sort of filter because you were too lazy to clean connectors?)

When I played Zelda as a child (fairly close to release), I had no problem with the game until I got to Gannon. I just couldn't kill the bastard and Game Genied him. I finally played through the game again as an adult when the ambassador 3DS stuff came out. Gannon wasn't so bad; I don't know what was wrong with my younger self. I'm really impressed how much I remembered playing through the game after 20 years without playing it.

How can you tell that it isn't Zelda 2?

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

thedouche posted:

Because Zelda 1 is on the screen.

Anyway, I can't blame anyone for cheating to skip some of the money grind in that game.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

thedouche posted:

Because the TV features Zelda 1's gameplay.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
A few pages back I asked about SNES cart protectors and I ended up taking the advice of Keyboard Kid and purchased some decent sized resealable bags instead. I got a 100 pack of 130mm x 155mm bags for a few dollars and fit my loose SNES carts in them. I'm pretty happy with the result, it should protect them from dust and remain easy to get into so I can actually play them:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Xik, if you ever wanna trade PAL and American controllers... you know who to talk to.

I have all of them but the PAL ones!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

ACID POLICE posted:

Xik, if you ever wanna trade PAL and American controllers... you know who to talk to.

I have all of them but the PAL ones!

Sorry friend, I wish I had spares to give you :(

I have two but regularly play co-op. They actually don't show up very often here on trademe. Even though this is a PAL region the most common controllers for sale I see are either US ones or new reproductions based on the US design. They look good though right? I will never understand why they decided to go with the plain purple design for the US release. I guess it looks a little bit less like a "toy", which I gather was the direction they were trying to go in.

meadowlark
May 25, 2012

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I am going to run a bunch of tests for you this week
Don't discount the mini just yet.

I know this is a little late, but did you ever get around to this?

I'm still considering getting the mini and I'd like to hear your experiences
with using it with a PS2.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Teaser for a new documentary, Space Invaders: In Search Of Lost Time, about retro arcade collectors. Looks pretty good, supposed to be released sometime Spring 2013.

https://vimeo.com/50465335

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Because if I don't use the Game Genie to connect my games to my toaster the connection doesn't work half the time and the carts are a bitch to get out. :colbert:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Heh heh heh.... retro games.

e: Also I was changing the battery in my V-Saturn and found a Video CD/Photo CD/MPEG decoder expansion in there. Radical!

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 6, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've finally completed my mission of beating Super Mario Bros. (All-Stars version) without using the warp pipes, normal and hard mode. I honestly didn't know about the continue trick until I finished (I kept trying to do the NES A+start when it's A+B+start). It's a surprisingly easy game until world loving 8. gently caress world loving 8, gently caress hammer brothers, gently caress the maze at the end, Nintendo I hate you.

Strangely, I beat Lost Levels when I first got All-Stars but never bothered with the original game. I don't dare touch Lost Levels again.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Xik posted:

A few pages back I asked about SNES cart protectors and I ended up taking the advice of Keyboard Kid and purchased some decent sized resealable bags instead. I got a 100 pack of 130mm x 155mm bags for a few dollars and fit my loose SNES carts in them. I'm pretty happy with the result, it should protect them from dust and remain easy to get into so I can actually play them:

Oh my god I need PAL snes controllers so bad.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

West Ham Sandwich posted:

Someone needs to manufacture SFC shells with SNES-shaped cart slots so that I can swap my SNES guts into it... I feel like that is something people would buy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was looking for some good deals on some Japanese stuff and finding that the prices on the rarer games that I was interested in have been spiking upward. For most of them it seems like the price is 50% higher than it was three months ago. Stuff that was already super expensive hasn't shifted that much; it's more like the items in the middle that might have gained some interest is starting to push upward. I'm hoping it's just a New Year's bump...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACID POLICE posted:

Heh heh heh.... retro games.

e: Also I was changing the battery in my V-Saturn and found a Video CD/Photo CD/MPEG decoder expansion in there. Radical!

Is that one of the older Shin Megami Tensei games?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Was just about to ask the same thing. What is that?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It is. I can't tell if it's I or II, though.

WHY DO YOU THINK I WAS CALLED THORTON HAHAHAHA

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

gredgie posted:

I might go for a more ambitious collection of all flavours of all Metal Gear series games. Although, should I include Snake's Revenge in that? Since it's TECHNICALLY part of the series, but it's also... not... part of the series.

Do it anyway. Snake's Revenge gets a lot of crap because it's instruction manual had some weird made-up-by-the-manual-maker goofy plot in it, and people thought that's what the actual game was like, as opposed to the more par-for-course MG type plot it actually had. (Similarly, I think people may mistakenly attribute some of the really bizarre things in the real MG2 to it instead, like the hamsters, and the boss that strangles you.)

Snake's Revenge honestly isn't a bad game, if anything one can consider it more like a slightly more advanced remix of MG1 NES. Especially since unlike that one, you actually get to fight the Metal Gear at the end!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, #1.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Alright, I think I am finally going to learn to touch type. Whipped out the Dreamcast keyboard and Typing of the Dead. If I'm gonna waste time playing video games then I may as well pick up a useful skill in the process!

(Dammit, keep shifting with the wrong hand and typing the ! with my ring finger. Already feel myself improving, though!)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

West Ham Sandwich posted:

I have 2 PAL ones and 1 Japanese (SFC) one. Is there any reason you want the PAL over the SFC ones?

Granted the color scheme on them is awesome, I really love the concave/convex deal the USA controllers got. Not sure why I love it, I just do. Associating the concave button with running in Super Mario World is just engraved into my mind I guess.

Unrelated, I have been hearing this is supposed to be an excellent scart switch with absolutely no picture quality drop. Bonus is that it's a 5-way switch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350669543821&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

I will update the OP when others can verify but people on shmups are saying it's excellent. This is great as it's 1/3rd the price of the Shinybow one.

Sir_Seth posted:

I know this is a little late, but did you ever get around to this?

I'm still considering getting the mini and I'd like to hear your experiences
with using it with a PS2.

Okay I ran a bunch of tests. I did the PS2 over component cables. First I tried Final Fantasy VI from Anthology. It looked amazing. Just like the SNES looks on this thing. This is surprising, because I could have sworn the mod chip I had installed in my PS2 (fat) caused some weird interlacing issue where the fields looked reversed when playing PS1 games.

However, I tried Dark Cloud 2 and it didn't look to great. It looked like it was producing interlacing lines where I'd never had seen them before. I went to the menu screen and moved the arrow/cursor up and down and these interlacing lines would show up in the picture. It's kind of weird it did this in Dark Cloud 2 but not in FFVI considering they are on the same system.

HOWEVER!

I have this same issue with the 2 SNES games that do "hi res" graphics. I get some weird interlacing crap that I can't explain, and the pixelation is somehow worse.

At first I thought that this XRGB Mini was no good with 3-d graphics, but PS1 and Saturn games upscale gorgeously. It seems as though if it gets any higher res than low-res (even if that console is the SNES and its two sole hi-res games), that's when things turn to poo poo.

I wish I could explain what I mean better.

Edit: Something cool I just found out is that you can actually use your GBA as a controller when using the Game Boy Player for the Gamecube. Maybe I'm a dunce but I never knew that!

Also, I e-mailed that guy from Rose Colored Gaming about the GBA screens like 3 weeks ago and he has yet to respond to me :(

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 6, 2013

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

Tobaccrow posted:

Because Zelda 1 is on the screen.

Anyway, I can't blame anyone for cheating to skip some of the money grind in that game.

roffels posted:

Because the TV features Zelda 1's gameplay.

Wow, I'm not very observant.

It's not in any shape, way or form actually retro, but I'm enjoying Saturday Morning RPG on the iOS. It's a kind of simple throwback RPG with a fun battle system and an incredible amount of references to the 80's/90's. You get your powers from a magic Trapper Keeper, get pre-battle buffs from scratch and sniff stickers, and the weapons include a white glove for a moonwalk attack, a joystick that requires you to play pong/breakout/etc to attack, or fricking Simon amoung others.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

I have 2 PAL ones and 1 Japanese (SFC) one. Is there any reason you want the PAL over the SFC ones?

Granted the color scheme on them is awesome, I really love the concave/convex deal the USA controllers got. Not sure why I love it, I just do. Associating the concave button with running in Super Mario World is just engraved into my mind I guess.

I'm betting that most people don't want the SFC controller because the cord is so short. But, it's relatively trivial to fix... either by an extension cable, or a controller board/cable swap (since the cable unplugs from the board).

But, I like the short cord on the SFC controller, since my snes sits on my computer desk, so having 8 feet of cord would be awfully cumbersome.

I got used to the button shape as well. I think people make a bigger deal about the convex/concave buttons on the US controller than it really is. However, I did find a cheap third party controller that had convex/concave buttons in the colors, and I swapped out my purple buttons on my other controller, just because I like being different.

quote:

Edit: Something cool I just found out is that you can actually use your GBA as a controller when using the Game Boy Player for the Gamecube. Maybe I'm a dunce but I never knew that!

Meh, that's cool and all, but I still rather use a real controller. The GBA is fine when you're playing it portable, but the moment you play it on the big screen, I want a nice big dpad, instead of that tiny dpad on the gbas (and the terrible godawful dpad on the gba sp).

Don't waste money on that Hori pad either that's styled similarly to the SNES controller. Just buy the retroport adapter from retrousb and it'll work perfectly. It's what I use. The select button on the SNES controller is automatically programmed to the Gamecube Z button, but in the GB player, the Y button will correspond to the gameboy select button.

quote:

Also, I e-mailed that guy from Rose Colored Gaming about the GBA screens like 3 weeks ago and he has yet to respond to me :(

Hmm, don't know what to tell you, but the guy (he goes by the name Wiggy) actively posts on a ton of different gaming and retrogaming forums. Here's one of his posts over on digitpress:
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?161974-Something-that-may-interest-you-guys-need-input

We need to get him to sign up over here, as he has a ton of stuff that he's working on that'll interest most of us.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 6, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

fatpat268 posted:

Don't waste money on that Hori pad either that's styled similarly to the SNES controller. Just buy the retroport adapter from retrousb and it'll work perfectly. It's what I use. The select button on the SNES controller is automatically programmed to the Gamecube Z button, but in the GB player, the Y button will correspond to the gameboy select button.

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=31 :stare:

drat, that's certainly more affordable than tracking down a Hori pad. Are there any known issues of input lag with it? I'm not sure I agree with that Y button thing but it does look tempting.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

iastudent posted:

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=31 :stare:

drat, that's certainly more affordable than tracking down a Hori pad. Are there any known issues of input lag with it? I'm not sure I agree with that Y button thing but it does look tempting.

Input lag? Nah. If there's any, it's no more than a standard Gamecube controller.

As far as the Y button config... that's just the way Nintendo does it. Even on the 3ds for emulated NES games, the Y button is mapped to select. I actually don't mind. Not many games make much use of select, but there's some that do, and it can be convenient to have in that Y button spot.

The hori pad actually does have a separate select button though, so there's that. But certainly not worth all the extra money.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

That's good to hear on the input lag. I do speedrunning stuff on my GBP and thought it was safe to ask first.

I forgot the 3DS did that for VC games. Does X act as another B button as well?

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

iastudent posted:

That's good to hear on the input lag. I do speedrunning stuff on my GBP and thought it was safe to ask first.

I forgot the 3DS did that for VC games. Does X act as another B button as well?

Unfortunately, no.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

I have no preference, I am just very interested in a colorful-button controller. :3:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Is there any reason you want the PAL over the SFC ones?

I already have two SFC ones, I just need the PAL ones and my collection is complete! :D

I hadn't heard of Rose Colored Gaming or those backlight kits before, but I want one! I hope he's not sold out...

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Some time ago I posted about a "low-end" upscaler I purchased to use with my SNES. While I had the camera out for those cart bags, I decided to quickly take some comparison shots for those of you that may be interested. I used a Nintendo composite cable (originally from a N64 I believe) against an after-market S-Video cable hooked up to that budget upscaler. As I mentioned before, it's no XRGB Mini but it's still a reasonable improvement and it comes at a fraction of the cost. Please forgive my terrible camera work.

(If you would like to share these images around anywhere please do, I created an imgur gallery with the images to make it easier.)

The Super Metroid Title Screen:

Samus at a Save Point:

The Super Metroid Map Screen:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xik posted:

Some time ago I posted about a "low-end" upscaler I purchased to use with my SNES. While I had the camera out for those cart bags, I decided to quickly take some comparison shots for those of you that may be interested. I used a Nintendo composite cable (originally from a N64 I believe) against an after-market S-Video cable hooked up to that budget upscaler.

I might look into getting one of those. What kind of quality can it pull from basic RCA video? Oh, and does it need an external power cable, or does it just run off of the connected cables?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I might look into getting one of those. What kind of quality can it pull from basic RCA video? Oh, and does it need an external power cable, or does it just run off of the connected cables?

Composite's gonna be composite, no matter what. I mean, you could do a little cleanup on it, but it's never going to look as good as S-video (which is why that upscaler looks better) or RGB.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It does have an external power plug and as far as using the upscaler with a composite video signal (RCA cable); it's pretty terrible. If there is an improvement, I honestly can't notice it with the naked eye and my advice would be to not bother with the upscaler.

e:fb, should have refreshed.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I have abit of a strange request. I need a scan of the Sega Genesis Game Genie box(front, spine, and back). I've scoured all over for even a raw scan and I can't even find those. Either the Purple or Silver version boxes will do. I plan on making the cover able to fit either the EA Genesis boxes or the Universal Game Case boxes. So any help in aquiring a scan would be greatly appreciated.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Oh, and some more stuff that may be relevant to various people (*cough*Hamburglar*cough*):

HDMI NES. Found this browsing nintendoage. Apparently the guy who runs retrousb is working on a board to capture the video signals and convert them to HDMI. No rgb ppu needed. It'll be interesting to see the development of this as time goes on.

KHAN Games posted:

(Speaking for bunnyboy and may be completely wrong)

Right now the HDMI is an add-on to the internals of the top loader unit. In order for it to work on a toaster he is going to have to order a completely new set of boards to fit the inside of the toaster.

KHAN Games posted:

It's a beautiful thing.

Here's the forum topic over on nintendoage if you want to follow it further:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&catid=7&threadid=92557

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

fatpat268 posted:

HDMI NES. Found this browsing nintendoage. Apparently the guy who runs retrousb is working on a board to capture the video signals and convert them to HDMI. No rgb ppu needed. It'll be interesting to see the development of this as time goes on.

Hoooly poo poo that is beautiful. That being said, whenever I use emulators I tend to enable filters to make it look like a lovely PAL RCA TV or whatever, but still.. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I've got to admit, seeing that there are special devices people use to boost the display quality of their retro games that are intensive enough to require their own power source is kind of wowing to someone like me who is only just getting into this kind of thing. :psyduck:

• Locked thread