Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Car Stranger
Feb 16, 2005

Banana Yaya posted:

The game doesn't run very well on my admittedly antiquated system. This is what I've got:

C2D E8500
4 GB RAM
GTX 460 1 GB (slightly overclocked)

Do you think I'd be fine if I upgraded to a GTX 660 or should I just shell out for a new system?
I'm on Q6600/8800GT OC/4GB and it runs fine for me at medium settings and 1680x1050. So that seems weird, unless it's processor heavy and can use >2 cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Car Stranger posted:

I'm on Q6600/8800GT OC/4GB and it runs fine for me at medium settings and 1680x1050. So that seems weird, unless it's processor heavy and can use >2 cores.

Eh, that does sort of answer my question since I was trying to play it on high settings. Welp, I'll probably have to get a new rig now.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

The game's story is a joke, no matter which way you slice it.

The game's story is one of the best I've played, but it does a bad job of ensuring the players experience the story. The writer is clearly frustrated that a lot of people didn't play it out like his playtesters.

Kittykisses
Mar 20, 2009

Phuzun posted:

Which drivers are you using? The newest ones had the same issue for me. I rolled back to the 306 drivers and set the disable desktop composition option for the game exe. I also have a 570.

I am running the latest version (310.70 I think?)

I think I possibly may have fixed it by disabling CUDA from the nvidia control panel and/or slightly overclocking my video cards memory voltage. I'm going to play some more and see if I get any crashes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

The game's story is one of the best I've played, but it does a bad job of ensuring the players experience the story. The writer is clearly frustrated that a lot of people didn't play it out like his playtesters.

I mean, I guess it's got more story than say, Gears of War, or Halo, but what exactly is it about this that you think is good?

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Chamale posted:

Could you go into more detail about how you think it was supposed to play out? There ARE hints of what the writer intended, but it's not done well.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
The biggest problem with the story is that it isn't necessarily inherently bad, it's that the writer is amateurish as gently caress in telling it, and crafting an actual, engaging story. Like I said before, there are characters that are set up to have emotional impact and actually engage with the themes of the story, but the writer does nothing with them other than say "this guy did a bad thing," or "this guy had something happen to him."

It actually reminds me of JRPG characterization. It's the stereotypical "I WAS AN ORPHAN AND THEN I BECAME A STRONG SOLDIER," thing - you'd think it ties into some sort of theme, but they're all cheap tricks to try and give faux emotional depth to the characters.

Again, there are good, interesting themes in this game - themes that could have been explored, linked more directly to other writers, authors, directors, and so on - but Far Cry 3's writer refuses to do it. He tries to make all of these little "narrative touches," that, at best, are just banal. Oh! The sun sets in the west, THINGS ARE REVERSED HERE. Big poo poo, so what? That's the problem with the author's little "THEY DIDN'T NOTICE X," tirade. X just doesn't matter and is not an interesting comment on anything. There's just nothing clever or inventive or creative done with the story, so while it works on an Action Movie level ("tie the fight sequences together,") it's not in any way a good story.

Even ignoring all of this, the very few interesting devices the writer has are hugely overused. The hallucinations, for instance. Towards about mid-game, they shift from being a means of story exposition to just apparently being a way for the writer to write himself out of sticky situations and avoid explaining thing. The Vaas fight is the biggest culprit of this, and I think the Hoyt fight is, too. They create situations where a plotline can be resolved with no reference to the story.

Nombres fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 6, 2013

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

Nombres posted:

The biggest problem with the story is that it isn't necessarily inherently bad, it's that the writer is amateurish as gently caress in telling it, and crafting an actual, engaging story. Like I said before, there are characters that are set up to have emotional impact and actually engage with the themes of the story, but the writer does nothing with them other than say "this guy did a bad thing," or "this guy had something happen to him."

It actually reminds me of JRPG characterization. It's the stereotypical "I WAS AN ORPHAN AND THEN I BECAME A STRONG SOLDIER," thing - you'd think it ties into some sort of theme, but they're all cheap tricks to try and give faux emotional depth to the characters.

Again, there are good, interesting themes in this game - themes that could have been explored, linked more directly to other writers, authors, directors, and so on - but Far Cry 3's writer refuses to do it. He tries to make all of these little "narrative touches," that, at best, are just banal. Oh! The sun sets in the west, THINGS ARE REVERSED HERE. Big poo poo, so what? That's the problem with the author's little "THEY DIDN'T NOTICE X," tirade. X just doesn't matter and is not an interesting comment on anything. There's just nothing clever or inventive or creative done with the story, so while it works on an Action Movie level ("tie the fight sequences together,") it's not in any way a good story.

Even ignoring all of this, the very few interesting devices the writer has are hugely overused. The hallucinations, for instance. Towards about mid-game, they shift from being a means of story exposition to just apparently being a way for the writer to write himself out of sticky situations and avoid explaining thing. The Vaas fight is the biggest culprit of this, and I think the Hoyt fight is, too. They create situations where a plotline can be resolved with no reference to the story.

This is a good way of putting it. I thought that the writer was going to use that sense of unreality from recurring hallucinations to make some sort of broader point about the island, or Jason's childish power fantasies, ANYTHING...and then the main plot ended.

End-game spoilers below.

Vaas: Why did the writer think it was a good idea to have Jason get stabbed by Vaas, then fight him in a dream state? I wasn't even sure he'd actually died until the plot and all of the characters went along with it. My reaction: "Oh, he IS dead. Huh."

Citra: She ends up having almost no purpose in the plot, and her characterization is paper-thin. More pointless hallucination sequences, embarrassing sex scene, CHOOSE TO STAY OR FREE YOUR FRIENDS!

Hoyt: He's set-up as the head villain, but has almost no build-up to his character or the final conflict with Jason beyond his killing of Sam. There's no emotional engagement at all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just made a giant post about my feelings on the story in the other thread, if anyone cares.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

more friedman units posted:

This is a good way of putting it. I thought that the writer was going to use that sense of unreality from recurring hallucinations to make some sort of broader point about the island, or Jason's childish power fantasies, ANYTHING...and then the main plot ended.

End-game spoilers below.

Vaas: Why did the writer think it was a good idea to have Jason get stabbed by Vaas, then fight him in a dream state? I wasn't even sure he'd actually died until the plot and all of the characters went along with it. My reaction: "Oh, he IS dead. Huh."

Citra: She ends up having almost no purpose in the plot, and her characterization is paper-thin. More pointless hallucination sequences, embarrassing sex scene, CHOOSE TO STAY OR FREE YOUR FRIENDS!

Hoyt: He's set-up as the head villain, but has almost no build-up to his character or the final conflict with Jason beyond his killing of Sam. There's no emotional engagement at all.

Yeah, I agree with these. On a logistical level, it makes a bit of sense to write the dream-fight sequence for Vaas, because if you didn't, you'd need to dream up ways for Jason to get out of there, to fight out, be rescued, etc., etc.. It's just easier to do it in a dream-fight, but that doesn't make the story any better or more coherent, it's just a lazy sidestep by the writer. It also ruins the catharsis of the fight - when you've killed him, you don't really acknowledge it because of how it's portrayed, so there's no release, no feeling of "I've finally bested him," or "At last, his reign of terror is over." It's just a dream sequence for all you know until you get back to the temple and find out, then promptly go, "oh."

Additionally, there's an interesting dynamic set up between Hoyt and Vaas but again the author never uses it. Vaas changes - for a brief, flickering moment - from an unstoppable force of bestial insanity to a timid, powerless man when confronted by Hoyt. Hoyt has him in his grasp, and Vaas can do nothing about it. They could have used this to flesh out Vaas so much more, but the writer just sort of leaves it there.

Nombres fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 6, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The NPC who runs the knife-throwing minigame is a total pool shark. When you do a practice session he can't hit the broad side of a barn, but when you play for a wager he suddenly transforms into a pro.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Bifford posted:

The NPC who runs the knife-throwing minigame is a total pool shark. When you do a practice session he can't hit the broad side of a barn, but when you play for a wager he suddenly transforms into a pro.

I know, I hate that. It kind of makes me wish I could do stuff like kill him or after I lose a game of poker shoot everyone at the table and get my money back. Obviously doesn't fit with the theme of the game, but oh well. I'm a sore loser I guess.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Banana Yaya posted:

The game doesn't run very well on my admittedly antiquated system. This is what I've got:

C2D E8500
4 GB RAM
GTX 460 1 GB (slightly overclocked)

Do you think I'd be fine if I upgraded to a GTX 660 or should I just shell out for a new system?
Its your CPU, I guarantee it. I used to be on a similar system (C2D E6600 @ 3 GHz, 8 GB RAM, GTX 460 1 GB), and I played a lot of Far Cry 2, but I had to disable shadows entirely and turn geometry down in order to get it playable. In December 2011 I upgraded to an i7-2700K but kept the GTX 460 (still using 8 GB of RAM). I ran some benchmarks in Far Cry 2 on both setups, specifically Ranch Small benchmark. The E6600 managed 38 FPS average at 640x480 (windowed) with the default "Optimal" settings, the i7-2700K does 150+ FPS average at the same settings and it hasn't hit the CPU limit yet...

From watching my CPU monitor gadget, FC2 ran 4 threads, and FC3 is running at least 8 threads. So yeah, the Dunia engines benefit tremendously from the jump up to quad cores, and FC3 might get a kick out of even more cores (but we'll have to wait quite a while for video cards to catch up before we can be sure).

So keep your 460, but get a quad core (even just dropping in a similarly clocked core 2 quad should help considerably, and would probably be the easiest and quickest option for you).

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Man am I pissed off. Loaded the game on my 360 today, pressed continue and saw that it loaded a savestate around 6 hours prior to where I left off. On the 'load' screen there is only one autosave instead of 3 too:(
poo poo poo poo poo poo
I guess I'm done with this game.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Kittykisses posted:

I am running the latest version (310.70 I think?)

I think I possibly may have fixed it by disabling CUDA from the nvidia control panel and/or slightly overclocking my video cards memory voltage. I'm going to play some more and see if I get any crashes.

I was running the newest whql drivers, which are for the game. They are the ones I had roll back from to the 306. If CUDA or the voltage helped, that is great. I'm not going to mess around with CUDA since I run folding@home.

The game is really good though and I went through it in about 3, 6 hour plays last weekend. I thought it was a good story, far more then I would expect in a game like this.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Knuc If U Buck posted:

The game's story is a joke, no matter which way you slice it.

Could you go into more detail about how you think it was supposed to play out? There ARE hints of what the writer intended, but it's not done well.

I don't care what the writer intended. He has his interpretation. I have mine. You have yours. The nice thing about stories in games is that they can be experienced differently because the player has agency. I also don't care that some here think they're the arbiters of quality storytelling and that we all must abide by their determination that "the story is a joke."

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The writer had a lot of super cool toys in his toybox, but instead of setting a coherent scene he just threw them around the room like a shithead and hoped they would land in clever ways.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Was pleasantly surprised by the AI when playing the bomb defusing mission at the drug farm with Sam on the second island.

While defending him a charger set off a fire that consumed the hut he was defusing the bomb inside. So the he ran out of the hut took cover behind a fence and came back to defusing the bomb once the fire burnt out.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

Adraeus posted:

I don't care what the writer intended. He has his interpretation. I have mine. You have yours. The nice thing about stories in games is that they can be experienced differently because the player has agency. I also don't care that some here think they're the arbiters of quality storytelling and that we all must abide by their determination that "the story is a joke."

Right, death of the author, I agree with you about interpretation. I also don't think it's a stretch to say that this game has a threadbare story that didn't pull off what I think the author wanted and didn't give much material for critical analysis either.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Right, death of the author, I agree with you about interpretation. I also don't think it's a stretch to say that this game has a threadbare story that didn't pull off what I think the author wanted and didn't give much material for critical analysis either.

Which is fine. New Vegas wasn't exactly Shakespeare. Far Cry 3 gives you enough story to experience a great game. From there, you can use your imagination, if you have one.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Pocket Billiards posted:

Was pleasantly surprised by the AI when playing the bomb defusing mission at the drug farm with Sam on the second island.

While defending him a charger set off a fire that consumed the hut he was defusing the bomb inside. So the he ran out of the hut took cover behind a fence and came back to defusing the bomb once the fire burnt out.

I've noticed this behavior too except on a mission a fire consumed the entire field where he was supposed to run to the next building so he just stood still for 30 seconds straight.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

For me, Sam stood in the middle of a raging loving inferno, right in the flames, the entire time he was defusing a bomb. Then he left the hut and made me wait like two minutes for the fire to go out before moving on.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

Adraeus posted:

Which is fine. New Vegas wasn't exactly Shakespeare. Far Cry 3 gives you enough story to experience a great game. From there, you can use your imagination, if you have one.

I enjoyed the game-play enough to finish the plot. The problem was that I do have an imagination, and I kept imagining the interesting directions that the writer could have gone with the plot...right up to the point where the credits rolled. I don't think anyone would be complaining about an action game having a bad story if it weren't for the writer going on record about all of the various messages people were supposed to be getting, plus how problematic the whole thing would be if it WASN'T intended to be a take-down of 20-something white guy power fantasies.

I wouldn't compare any games to Shakespeare, or even mediocre novels. Far Cry 3's story is notably bad even compared to other games.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I wouldn't compare any games to Shakespeare, or even mediocre novels. Far Cry 3's story is notably bad even compared to other games.

You've clearly not played a lot of games then. And, again, while you may think the story is bad, I don't, so I'm not sure why you're trying to convince me that you're right and I'm wrong.

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 6, 2013

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Although I didn't LIKE the story, I wasn't really bothered by it either. It's not very much in your face asDiablo III's. I couldn't skip the annoying cutscenes, but other than that I had a blast. Maybe it's because I took the time to explore the islands in between missions so I forgot about why I was there in the first place.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Swartz posted:

I know, I hate that. It kind of makes me wish I could do stuff like kill him or after I lose a game of poker shoot everyone at the table and get my money back. Obviously doesn't fit with the theme of the game, but oh well. I'm a sore loser I guess.
Well, the difficulty level of the minigame is supposed to scale with the size of the wager (Novice->Skilled->Expert etc.). Still, this guy is consciously scaling his skill level according to how much money the sucker is putting down, which stills makes me think "sonovabitch".

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 6, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

It's better than Far Cry 2's story. Was there even a story in that game?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Possibly, I can't remember. I do remember Far Cry 1 being about mutant monkeys and people with rocketarms and a crazy scientist who mutates himself at the end so you can have a bossfight though. gently caress those monkeys

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Far Cry 3's story is notably bad even compared to other games.

I think it's an above-average narrative as far as first-person shooters go, but I hold video game stories at the bare minimum standards of storytelling for the most part, so that's not really saying all that much.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Possibly, I can't remember. I do remember Far Cry 1 being about mutant monkeys and people with rocketarms and a crazy scientist who mutates himself at the end so you can have a bossfight though. gently caress those monkeys

The moment those monkeys appeared was the moment Far Cry 1 when from great to poo poo.

Kittykisses
Mar 20, 2009

Phuzun posted:

I was running the newest whql drivers, which are for the game. They are the ones I had roll back from to the 306. If CUDA or the voltage helped, that is great. I'm not going to mess around with CUDA since I run folding@home.

The game is really good though and I went through it in about 3, 6 hour plays last weekend. I thought it was a good story, far more then I would expect in a game like this.

False alarm... had another crash. I was able to play for a good hour before it froze though.

Going to try rolling back to 306.97 and see if that helps.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Two things I've learned from playing the custom maps on xbox:

1-All of the maps are god awful
2-People playing these maps are retarded. I actually killed the entire enemy team 4 times with a sniper before they finally decided to shoot back at me.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cardboard Box posted:

I think it's an above-average narrative as far as first-person shooters go, but I hold video game stories at the bare minimum standards of storytelling for the most part, so that's not really saying all that much.

Well, if you're going to judge a video game's story, don't judge the story next to a novel; judge the story as one where you're part of the story. You're writing most of the story as you play. Everything else is meant to be just enough background to propel you forward.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adraeus posted:

Well, if you're going to judge a video game's story, don't judge the story next to a novel; judge the story as one where you're part of the story. You're writing most of the story as you play. Everything else is meant to be just enough background to propel you forward.

Given the linear storytelling aspects I don't really see why games shouldn't be held to the same story telling aspects as books. Half the stuff I read never even imagined having a 20 million dollar budget. I mean, I'm talking the actual story bits, not the part where Jason wanders off for five hours to cause another genocide.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Blast of Confetti posted:

I mean, I'm talking the actual story bits, not the part where Jason wanders off for five hours to cause another genocide.

That's part of the story for your Jason though! For the purpose of analysis, criticism, or just plain ol' complaining, we like to talk about gameplay and story as separate topics, but the game is the context. If we are to judge the quality of a story within a game, removing the story from that context to judge its quality makes the evaluation meaningless because the story is not meant to be experienced on its own.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Baron Bifford posted:

It's better than Far Cry 2's story. Was there even a story in that game?
Yeah; you're an amoral mercenary hired to kill a even more amoral mercenary, but you eventually realise that the only person in the entire country who wasn't using you for their own selfish ends was the guy you were sent to kill, because he'd seen Apocalypse Now come to understand the madness of war, and through him now you do too. Then you both commit suicide.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

Harmonica posted:

Replacing models and animations is already possible. It would take a team of people to attempt something like that, though, given that you can't just pop out good looking dinosaurs with animations and all that. Don't think we're at the stage where enough is known about the game data, or there are enough community produced tools (or an SDK :( ) to attempt a total conversion. Unless there are some people working very quietly on them!

I'm working on a few Jurassic Park styled maps for multiplayer, though, in the mean time :)

I do realise that, I lecture in Games Design and Animation so I was going to task my students with modelling and rigging some dino models to throw in, but I wanted to see if it was possible first. Let me know if you finish the JP inspired maps!

Mister Bung fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 6, 2013

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Did they finally fix weapon progression on PC? I really like the multiplayer in this but don't want to keep losing progress on my unlocks

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

VarXX posted:

Did they finally fix weapon progression on PC? I really like the multiplayer in this but don't want to keep losing progress on my unlocks

I'm not sure if co-op and competitive multi are separate but I'm 99% sure they're fixed in co-op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Xoidanor posted:

The moment those monkeys appeared was the moment Far Cry 1 when from great to poo poo.

I agree as far as the quality of gameplay goes, but I really wish more games made a left turn into crazytown partway through. Like, I don't really play Call of Duty games, but I'd love it if halfway through the standard dogshit-stupid plot of Black Ops 3, aliens invade after zero foreshadowing and everything else becomes completely irrelevant.

• Locked thread