Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

ShadowHawk posted:

The whole point of the exploit is that you don't need a second observatory -- the original one will (buggily) start working for the distant command chair.

but that would only happen if you never built an obs in your main base. I couldn't imagine that situation ever happening.

That or you switched command chairs for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ShadowHawk posted:

The fix is as I proposed: don't make comm chairs recyclable without breaking their matching IP -- you need to build a CC to build IP, so it makes sense.
But why would you "fix" it? Why is it broken? And why should IPs need a CC to function? If I drop a JP out of tres but then someone kills the Proto Lab, the JP doesn't vanish - there's no reason to tie it to the Proto that was dropped by. If I drop an IP near a CC and someone kills the CC, why should the IP shut down? What problem in the game would this solve?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

TychoCelchuuu posted:

But why would you "fix" it? Why is it broken? And why should IPs need a CC to function? If I drop a JP out of tres but then someone kills the Proto Lab, the JP doesn't vanish - there's no reason to tie it to the Proto that was dropped by. If I drop an IP near a CC and someone kills the CC, why should the IP shut down? What problem in the game would this solve?
IP are the only structure in the game that requires a CC to be built. They're more akin to batteries and turrets than weapons and an armory.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Cyks posted:

but that would only happen if you never built an obs in your main base. I couldn't imagine that situation ever happening.

That or you switched command chairs for some reason.
Right that's how this works -- they build an obs and IP in their starting base, have a marine build up a CC (and only a CC) in a distant tech point, then immediately switch commanders, sell the first CC, and beacon to the new tech point. I believe it might even work before the original CC finishes recycling -- the whole team gets there as soon as the CC goes up.

What makes it problematic is that it's much much faster than early phase gates, is actually cheaper, and carries no risk to the original base as the marines are still spawning there.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's definitely much faster than phasing to the new tech point but at the cost of one CC, one beacon, and however many new IPs you need to build. If you don't build any new IPs then there's no way you're defending the new base and if you don't build any IPs in your starting base then you can't defend that. If you build one IP in your starting base and one IP in your new base you're still going to have issues defending the new base without always beaconing because most of your marines are going to spawn out in the boondocks are your original base. And for all of the resources you've spent wouldn't it have been easier just to tech to phases gates? The only thing you gain by doing this is speed, but marines don't need speed in the early game because speed is useless without a way to secure the tech points. I guess it would be a nice way to put early pressure on a hive if you didn't spawn close enough to it for your liking but if you can make pressure THAT early work, your team is much better than the aliens and you're pretty much going to win anyways.

You're spending a nontrivial amount of resources for a one time shift of your base to whatever location you want. That is of questionable value as far as I can tell.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
If marines spawn in Server Room and aliens in Warehouse on Tram it has the same effect as doing the whole build-a-base-and-beacon thing, but for free. The only time I've seen the close locations give the marine team a big boost to be able to end the game immediately is if they hugely outclass the other team..so they would've won it later anyway. There's nothing to fix or change, it's a bad way to open a game.

That exploit where the whole marine team can run to the alien base together at the start of the match and get there even faster than the beacon strat though daang how'd that make it past QA?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Okay gently caress this, let me know when Marines can win a game against an Alien team that isn't just plain bad

P-Funk
Jan 7, 2001

xzzy posted:

It's kind of turning into a broken record at this point, but the game has terrible damage cues. You're not dying in a single bite, you're just not noticing all the damage you're taking.
I hated this so much when I first got the game. I've gotten used to it mostly but it's still bad for newer players.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ShadowHawk posted:

What makes it problematic is that it's much much faster than early phase gates, is actually cheaper, and carries no risk to the original base as the marines are still spawning there.
Except most of the time my opener as a non-khammander Alien is
1) Ask Khammander if he's going to drop a hive any time soon.
2a) If yes, go Gorge to drop Hydras/clogs and speed-build new Hive.
2b) If no, sprint towards the Marine starting area and eat IPs and/or power nodes.

In the case of 2a, we've already got a second hive growing and the Marines have crippled their mid-game. In the case of 2b, if the entire team beaconed to right beside our hive while I was en-route then they're going to be fresh out of IPs. I'm not saying this tactic will never work (it obviously must work or you wouldn't be complaining) but it seems way riskier than you're making out.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
Just had a game that lasted way over an hour if not two, ended up winning as marines. Really was a battle of attrition more than anything with the goal being to hold the line until we reached a critical mass of exos then just pushed here and there. Ended up harassing an enemy hive as the ARCs went after and killing both within less than a minute of each other which was pretty surprising. It seems like if you get cautious people in exos with good support the marines just have to hold certain choke points, we had seriously ceded all the map except repair and operations in mineshaft, with our only pushes being the gap and central which both failed pretty hard. Eventually we just must have struck at the opportune time since they assaulted with about 4 or 5 onos and we just ran over them in about 5 minutes after that.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Okay gently caress this, let me know when Marines can win a game against an Alien team that isn't just plain bad

I'm letting you know right this instant. In fact, allow me to go back in time a while to let you know then.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A couple of Exos sitting in base with good lines of sight to the exits will destroy all-onos assaults. It gets trickier with mixed assaults, but if you have a few exos and are in a forced turtle the absolute best thing that can happen is that they push with an Onos mass, you'll rip through them and then they'll have to defend against your response push with skulks and gorges. While skulks and gorges are usually the go-to Exo counter you'll also have the huge advantage of pushing at a time when the Aliens are still reeling from the shock-horror of failing an Onos-rush, and also they'll have no (or very few) fades or lerks to take out the support marines.

The biggest obstacle is organising the Marine players to put forward an all-out and properly organised strike after an extended turtle, and by "biggest obstacle" I mean "task of herculean proportions" so good job!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 7, 2013

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Going back to biting damage, did someone say it hurts marines more if bites are central. E.g. You need to jump up at marines and chomp? This I did not know! This is coming from the newbie who only realised aliens had awesome predator vision while accidently pressing f. Newbness asside , it's nice to have a rough start as a newbie, normally new players are coddled.

Any word on more maps? Would love to see some oldies. My fave was the one where marines started in an area with a large cargo lift down, also there was a metal work foundry of sorts in a very large space, that's all I can remember

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Hey dudes, I bought this in the Steam encore sale. I had played some Natural Selection 1 before so I knew a little about what the game was going to be like going in. Trip report:

Twitch reflexes seem really important. Like, Counter Strike level important. Since I had gotten used to calmer shooters like BF3, I had to play a few games to get a feel for the shooting. For some reason, it helps me shoot better when I pretend I'm playing against AI dudes. Less nervous twitching I guess. Also, biting individually with clicks seems to be more effective than holding the button down for me.

Commanding the marines is hella fun. In fact, I'd rather be commanding the marines than doing anything else. It feels like I'm playing Starcraft, except sometimes your marines refuse to secure the extractor point in the middle of the map. But still, it's really rewarding when you and your marines work together and stuff works. Helping your marines out with medpacks and giving them the poo poo they ask for is really fun too. Alien commanding wasn't as fun since you can't issue direct orders and your job is mostly placing cysts and getting evolutions (which inevitably are the ones your team don't want)

I also like following orders as a marine. This is the only game I know where you're directly taking orders from an actual human commander. Something about this activates some dopamine gland in the "let's be in the military" part of my brain. Maybe I should join the army in real life or something.

Playing the aliens is okay, I guess. I don't really like the fact that you have to be playing as a skulk 90% of the time. Skulks are pretty fun to control though, and it makes the Fade and the Onos even more scary to the marines when they show up, so it's not too bad I guess.

Kinda sucks being in the losing team. At some point a pack of Onoses (Onosus? Onoi?) are going to roll into your base and there doesn't seem to be much you can do about it if your commander is incompetent. I can understand why this happens though. It would be a pretty lovely RTS if the sides were forcibly balanced all the time.

All in all, this game is a good game. I am going to play more of this game because it is good. A Good Game.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

simosimo posted:

Going back to biting damage, did someone say it hurts marines more if bites are central. E.g. You need to jump up at marines and chomp? This I did not know! This is coming from the newbie who only realised aliens had awesome predator vision while accidently pressing f. Newbness asside , it's nice to have a rough start as a newbie, normally new players are coddled.

Any word on more maps? Would love to see some oldies. My fave was the one where marines started in an area with a large cargo lift down, also there was a metal work foundry of sorts in a very large space, that's all I can remember

There's a "bite cone." If your targeting reticle is ON the marine, its a 75 damage chomp, if its slightly off, its 50, and if you are swiping them its 25. basically think that your melee has a very small aoe in front of you, and being directly in front = more damage.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

simosimo posted:

Pretty sure that's ns_bast. Don't know if anybody is working on it but I have played an unskinned ns_caged so far. A lot of the old map makers claim to be updating their maps.

There's also the NS1 mod being made for the NS2 engine that should bring back all the old maps.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Orange Crush Rush posted:

One of the Beta builds had the Marines in favor. But that was half a year ago.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Minorkos posted:

At some point a pack of Onoses (Onosus? Onoi?) are going to roll into your base and there doesn't seem to be much you can do about it if your commander is incompetent.

I heard from Tycho that the plural of Onos is Oshit.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

teh_Broseph posted:

I heard from Tycho that the plural of Onos is Oshit.
This is correct.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.
Question for you guys.

When I play Alien, specifically skulk, the marines jump around like a bitch and it's not uncommon to completely lose sight of them. They move, strafe and jump like rats and keeping a visual is hard work, usually total luck.

When I play marine and try and do this, jumping and moving at the same time is slow as poo poo, the aliens seem to bite me to shreds in 0.6 seconds and almost never seem to lose sight of me.

I feel slow and sluggy when being attacked, yet when I attack a marine I feel like they're avoiding bites too easily.

Is this just me, or am I missing some marine avoidance tactic?

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

Torpor posted:

Garfu, Joe! was in the TBG server earlier today wrecking everything and making everything onesided. It was beyond painful as that server already tends to team stack.

I posted about the TBG servers earlier but didn't know anyone actually played on it.
Look for me, I'm [TBGr]-MatthewC.

I also play on the NCIX servers, and NS2Goons whenever anyone is around.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

MorsAnima posted:

The only thing I can think of is making sure not to move backwards as a marine. Other than that its probably just bad luck.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MorsAnima posted:

Question for you guys.

When I play Alien, specifically skulk, the marines jump around like a bitch and it's not uncommon to completely lose sight of them. They move, strafe and jump like rats and keeping a visual is hard work, usually total luck.

When I play marine and try and do this, jumping and moving at the same time is slow as poo poo, the aliens seem to bite me to shreds in 0.6 seconds and almost never seem to lose sight of me.

I feel slow and sluggy when being attacked, yet when I attack a marine I feel like they're avoiding bites too easily.

As said don't move backwards it slows your movement. It is best to strafe side to side do not press back at all as it slows all movement even strafing. Don't just spam jump randomly you have to use it with purpose a jump over the skulk to the side towards your team is much more useful than a jump straight up and back down into their skulk-mouf. It only takes 11 bullets at the most to kill a skulk so make sure to aim your shots fire the gun in a burst mode at a distance and only fire when aimed at the enemy in CQB. If you keep moving their attacks will do much less damage only 1/3rd at the edges of their attack. Your gun does full damage no matter where you hit them as long as you hit them.

DrPlump fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 8, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Weak rear end marines. I know if some ravenous chihuahua boasting two inch teeth was literally biting my dick off, I'd run just as fast backwards as I could forwards. :colbert:

Also I'd use my squad mates as human shields because gently caress that noise.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

xzzy posted:

Weak rear end marines. I know if some ravenous chihuahua boasting two inch teeth was literally biting my dick off, I'd run just as fast backwards as I could forwards. :colbert:

Also I'd use my squad mates as human shields because gently caress that noise.

I'd be huddled in the com chair, dropping turrets and mines, and writing letters to my CO, my senator, my recruiter, my family, my dog and every media outlet I could think of saying we need to research turret batteries that can support more than 3 turrets and more than one battery per room.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or maybe "extension cord technology" that allows you to plug a sentry into a wall outlet.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
That's really just adding more of a weakness. You've never had a dog or cat chew through a cable? Alien dogs gonna have no problems.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

StuntKid posted:

I posted about the TBG servers earlier but didn't know anyone actually played on it.
Look for me, I'm [TBGr]-MatthewC.

I also play on the NCIX servers, and NS2Goons whenever anyone is around.

Can you tell people in TBG to stop team stacking all the goddamn time?

And what happened to the other server?

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

Torpor posted:

Can you tell people in TBG to stop team stacking all the goddamn time?

And what happened to the other server?

TBG Vancouver is down, soon to become TBG Calgary as the guy hosting it had to move.
Yeah, I'm pretty against the team stacking, if you hop on with me on there, I'll sv_randomall a lot to try and keep it balanced, or at least if its stacked its not by choice. It sucks cause there will be 4 TBG hopping on one side and I'll take the other to try and balance it out, but its hard to fight those odds.

Then you've got people like DJANGO in there who are 68-2. You'd swear he's got an aimbot from what he's doing, this game is really missing a First Person Spectator mode, thats for sure.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003
EDIT: Double post, but quoted, somehow? Weirdness. Not a phone app. :P

StuntKid fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 8, 2013

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Phone app post spotted.

DJANGO was a smurf, arc | ryan, he was playing with me, but then I left so I guess with me gone he was able to get more kills.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Garfu posted:

Phone app post spotted.

DJANGO was a smurf, arc | ryan, he was playing with me, but then I left so I guess with me gone he was able to get more kills.

Why is ryyyan not banned from every server in this game, I thought after the youtube video posted of him clearly white walling and who knows what else, plus his convenient departure from competitive matches right after file consistency checks were implemented people would have clued into the obvious.

Look at his ingame stats: http://ns2stats.org/player/player/1743 such bullshit.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Let's not forget this entire time he's been pretending to be Ryan Mitchell (sycknesS, 'famous' NS1 player?) when he actually isn't since I talked to the real Ryan Mitchell on teamspeak and whatnot. But that's a whole other dealio.

Also regarding his stats... they aren't all that mindblowing, for the 2 weeks before I went on vacation last week I had a 10.8 K/D. It happens.

edit: http://ns2stats.org/player/player/207 heh. Hmm, for some reason my rankings are a lot shittier than his even though my K/D is better and I have more kills. NS2stats is weird.

VVV play on servers with NS2Stats

Garfu fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 8, 2013

AgentF
May 11, 2009
^^^^^^^
I've played like 300 hours of this game. What do I need to do to get my stats up on that site?

I read some threads about cheating on the NS2 forums and the reactions to the OP were almost always "OH NOOEESS get over it, if you need to cheat then you're probably bad anyway", which is not a valid response to pointing out a serious issue in a competitive game.

Edit: Lookit dis poo poo.

AgentF fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 8, 2013

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

AgentF posted:

I'm letting you know right this instant. In fact, allow me to go back in time a while to let you know then.

My mistake, I should of been more clear on my statement:

Let me know when Marines can win without doing a 10 minute Egglock rush.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I'm interested in hearing the reasons why you've come to the idea. As far as I can tell, aliens and marines seems pretty well balanced to me. I play them roughly equally (I favour aliens more than marines) and I seem to win equally and lose equally with each team, more or less. The marines have a mobility that's hard for the aliens to match and once they get entrenched next to a hive they can be very dangerous and hard to dislodge. The variety of strategies I see for winning range from map domination to sneaky jp rushes to long drawn-out sieges. In fact, most egg-locking efforts I see don't last for very long.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It is so early in the game's lifespan to talk about balance it's not even funny. Much of the community has only been playing for two months and a big portion of them have been playing for much less since they bought the game in the Winter sale. Most people are varying degrees of awful and saying that one team is too good is like saying that all of your meals in a restaurant have too much salt when you've only received the appetizers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AgentF posted:

I'm interested in hearing the reasons why you've come to the idea. As far as I can tell, aliens and marines seems pretty well balanced to me. I play them roughly equally (I favour aliens more than marines) and I seem to win equally and lose equally with each team, more or less. The marines have a mobility that's hard for the aliens to match and once they get entrenched next to a hive they can be very dangerous and hard to dislodge. The variety of strategies I see for winning range from map domination to sneaky jp rushes to long drawn-out sieges. In fact, most egg-locking efforts I see don't last for very long.
I'd say he feels that way because of the thing that's been said a few times now; inexperienced marines are less effective than inexperienced aliens. If you're playing a lot of pub matches you're going to feel like marines are underpowered because the new (or just bad) players on the Alien side are going to have a much higher minimum contribution level than the new and/or bad players on the Marine side.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Is it intentional that ARCs can shoot through walls? I always figured it was a bug or an oversight but I'm a pretty new player and don't know much about it. There's nothing more annoying than playing Aliens and having your hive bombarded from 3 rooms over where the Marines have set up a huge base and have a bunch of dudes and MACs chilling just chain-killing Aliens and chain-repairing all their ARCs that fire through some vent shafts apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Completely intentional, but it's more like half a room over so you're not defenseless, you just have to fight over a seige spot if it looks like the marines are setting up base.

• Locked thread