Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Holy poo poo, how do you deal with Medusas? They chain petrify all of my units with no cooldown and then rip them apart while they can't move and oh god why it hurts so much and :derp:.

Game is pretty goddamned neat looking even though I'm completely at a loss so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Bloodly posted:

I wish I really knew what I was meant to be doing in terms of exploring vs conquering. What do you do first?

A rule of thumb I use is to conquer until you can't. As independents get stronger the further from your demesne, you're likely to hit a brick wall of unconquerable provinces every now and then. That's the cue to explore provinces for sweet gold, gear and xp. You should want to be exploring with an objective though. For instance, if you hit nasty provinces with a couple of powerful units like slugs, spiders and basilisks, explore to build up the funds for the web spell and some armour-piercing ranged units. If you're meeting powerful independent armies with lots of higher tier units like thugs and ogres you'll want to explore for the money to hit tier 2 yourself, or to grind a hero's xp until he's ready to take them on. As you're learning the game you naturally won't know what to aim for, so just click up the tech tree a bit, pick something achievable that looks cool (and you have the resources for) and go for it.

A side benefit of this (that some people might consider a drawback) is that sometimes this means you expand your way to your opponents front door very early. If this happens, take the offensive wherever possible. A quick win against an unprepared opponent can save you from a long, frustrating defeat.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
I've found that barring a major disparity in power, it's always best to go for a quick knockout when you find the enemy cap. If you can take down the guards without significant losses, that usually means you have it in the bag.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Kanos posted:

Holy poo poo, how do you deal with Medusas? They chain petrify all of my units with no cooldown and then rip them apart while they can't move and oh god why it hurts so much and :derp:.

Game is pretty goddamned neat looking even though I'm completely at a loss so far.

They have really low ranged defense so they get ripped apart by a Scout or competent archer units.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Quake posted:

They have really low ranged defense so they get ripped apart by a Scout or competent archer units.

I tried this and they just chain petrified all 6 of my shooters for the entire fight until they got into melee and killed everyone who couldn't move or attack. My solution was to never fight them again. Ditto Giant Spiders.

I'm still only on the first post-tutorial shard though, so I assume higher tech makes them less horrifying.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kanos posted:

I tried this and they just chain petrified all 6 of my shooters for the entire fight until they got into melee and killed everyone who couldn't move or attack. My solution was to never fight them again. Ditto Giant Spiders.

I'm still only on the first post-tutorial shard though, so I assume higher tech makes them less horrifying.

Huddle in a corner, send some disposable melees forward for them to chain-petrify while you're sniping them. You need good ranged units.

Drawde
Sep 1, 2006
Is there a decent way of getting rid of those inquisition guys that try to purge the evil out a random province? Usually I deny them and I have to deal with them attacking randomly throughout the rest of the game. I tried letting them do it once and deal with the unhappiness, but they just show up again asking to do it another province. I need guards everywhere anyways, but I feel like I could be using cheaper guards if I wasn't trying to stave off their attacks every few turns.

In general, what types of guards do you like to use? The forest keepers are pretty nice considering their strength and the happiness bonus, but they can only be used in forests. Patrolmen seem to my usual choice for most places.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Drawde posted:

Is there a decent way of getting rid of those inquisition guys that try to purge the evil out a random province? Usually I deny them and I have to deal with them attacking randomly throughout the rest of the game. I tried letting them do it once and deal with the unhappiness, but they just show up again asking to do it another province. I need guards everywhere anyways, but I feel like I could be using cheaper guards if I wasn't trying to stave off their attacks every few turns.

In general, what types of guards do you like to use? The forest keepers are pretty nice considering their strength and the happiness bonus, but they can only be used in forests. Patrolmen seem to my usual choice for most places.

Hunters. Cheap, have no upkeep, can beat most revolts and random events (although notably not the Inquisition) and always take out at least one enemy unit.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Drawde posted:

I believe the only way to stop the inquisition is to explore your provinces and hope you find their hideout so you can stomp it. Of course, you have to get lucky to find that needle in a haystack. My advice for future encounters is to just let them do the purge. It'll piss off the targeted province and I'm pretty sure it's counted as evil, but it's worth saving the headache.

Mr.Hell
Nov 10, 2011
I don't know if its been mentioned so far, but if you start with a province making about 14 gold, a very strong opening strategy is a commander with healing magic and 3 swordsmen. The swordsmen's already high defence will be boosted by your commander, your commander can actually do something useful in battle (heal your troops), and you can use the healing ritual to get your army up to max health after an encounter. You'll have a lot of surplus gems, so you can do this whenever the ritual recharges. You need to expand quickly in order to offset your unit maintenance, but that should be possible. And your swordsmen will be levelling up right from the start.

Are people sure expert mode grants no bonuses or penalties? Because it feels like I've tried everything I could at this point, and I'm still getting stomped, with the ai throwing multiple heroes at me with tier 2 stuff while I'm just moving off of tier one with one hero. And they have province guards in addition to that, too.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think difficulty works differently in the campaign (harder/easier opponents)

Mr.Hell
Nov 10, 2011

victrix posted:

I think difficulty works differently in the campaign (harder/easier opponents)

I'm playing skirmish - is 'normal' difficulty expert in campaign and lower otherwise, then?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mr.Hell posted:

I'm playing skirmish - is 'normal' difficulty expert in campaign and lower otherwise, then?

What the gog forum said was that Expert was no bonuses, no penalties for the AI - I'd assume that applies to skirmishes

From what people have said in the campaign, the AI seems to always have certain perks depending on campaign progress - I haven't touched the campaign so I have no idea

I do know the AI in skirmish has kicked my rear end repeatedly :eng99:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mr.Hell posted:

The difficulties in the campaign go from begginer to competent. All the others blend into a single option called "gently caress you!"

However, I do recommend trying out the campaign, since having a limited tech tree forces you to learn a decent early survival build order.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Mr.Hell posted:

I don't know if its been mentioned so far, but if you start with a province making about 14 gold, a very strong opening strategy is a commander with healing magic and 3 swordsmen. The swordsmen's already high defence will be boosted by your commander, your commander can actually do something useful in battle (heal your troops), and you can use the healing ritual to get your army up to max health after an encounter. You'll have a lot of surplus gems, so you can do this whenever the ritual recharges. You need to expand quickly in order to offset your unit maintenance, but that should be possible. And your swordsmen will be levelling up right from the start.

The cheaper (and more malevolent) alternative to this is Barbarians instead of Swordsmen. You have to alter your tactics a bit as they're more flimsy, but I find their killing power makes them very capable early game expansion troops. And if you can manage to keep them alive for a few levels, and reward them with a few medals, they really start to shine.

Speaking of which, does anyone know any tricks for boosting the medal rewards of your troops? The AI seems good at awarding them to itself, as I've noticed a lot more Order of the Defender medals getting handed out when I F10.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fargo Fukes posted:

The cheaper (and more malevolent) alternative to this is Barbarians instead of Swordsmen. You have to alter your tactics a bit as they're more flimsy, but I find their killing power makes them very capable early game expansion troops. And if you can manage to keep them alive for a few levels, and reward them with a few medals, they really start to shine.

Speaking of which, does anyone know any tricks for boosting the medal rewards of your troops? The AI seems good at awarding them to itself, as I've noticed a lot more Order of the Defender medals getting handed out when I F10.

Have a unit take the brunt of the fighting (either by damage taken, damage dealt, stamina spent or damage healed), it should increase the chances for it to receive a medal.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus
Is the only way to run this game on a Mac to use Wine or another windows emulator?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I did have to start over and I find it's still a tough game, but I am not flailing around on the beginning shards. HOPEFULLY this gives me a slight edge when it comes to facing off against the other Masters later on in the campaign.

A Commander makes the troops MEGA tough so I like the idea. THe trouble is it seems like a very deep investment. Either you get a Commander, outfit him, and get mega troops and NEVER have them die. Or it seems your Commander would be useless since his army gets destroyed. Is it worth while to stock up on T1 units with a commander?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Jastiger posted:

A Commander makes the troops MEGA tough so I like the idea. THe trouble is it seems like a very deep investment. Either you get a Commander, outfit him, and get mega troops and NEVER have them die. Or it seems your Commander would be useless since his army gets destroyed. Is it worth while to stock up on T1 units with a commander?

An army led by a Commander has much more survivability, yeah. Combine it with appropriate spells, healing and troops and a Commander can segue very handily from early game expansion to smashing your opponents front door in. If playing good you'll want to acquire a shield wall of swordsmen and keep them alive with healing spells and units as long as possible so they pick up medals and become nigh-invincible. If playing evil you'll probably want to start with Barbarians and rush for Thugs as soon as possible. It's cool when you get relatively high-level Barbarians but don't get too attached to them, they'll never last.

Is Vianta meant to be incompetent or what? I just played a Large shard against her, Beleth and a local Lord. Myself and Beleth got scrapping quite quickly on our half of the shard and I finally tore his keep down around turn 80. I then spent a few dozen turns trying to cross the middle of the map, which was infested with medusas and giants, and when I finally broke through, worried that Vianta would have had all this time to expand in peace, found her chilling with barely even her first ring conquered. What the gently caress up, girl? No rush, hey?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

victrix posted:

What the gog forum said was that Expert was no bonuses, no penalties for the AI - I'd assume that applies to skirmishes

From what people have said in the campaign, the AI seems to always have certain perks depending on campaign progress - I haven't touched the campaign so I have no idea

I do know the AI in skirmish has kicked my rear end repeatedly :eng99:

The .var files are openable with Notepad/Wordpad/whatever.

Difficulty.var posted:

/0
Name: Beginner;
Start gold: 1000
Start gem: 100
Gold income add: 15
Gem income add: 5
Population: 1100
Exp mod: 80
Loot mod: 110
Neutral HP: 55
Corruption start: 18
Corruption max: 60
Hero advice: 1
Score: 25

/1
Name: Skilled;
Start gold: 850
Start gem: 50
Gold income add: 10
Gem income add: 3
Population: 550
Exp mod: 90
Loot mod: 100
Neutral HP: 70
Corruption start: 16
Corruption max: 66
Hero advice: 1
Score: 50

/2
Name: Competent;
Start gold: 600
Start gem: 30
Gold income add: 5
Gem income add: 1
Population: 110
Exp mod: 100
Loot mod: 90
Neutral HP: 85
Corruption start: 14
Corruption max: 72
Hero advice: 0
Score: 75

/3
Name: Expert;
Start gold: 500
Start gem: 20
Gold income add: 0
Gem income add: 0
Population: 10
Exp mod: 110
Loot mod: 80
Neutral HP: 100
Corruption start: 12
Corruption max: 78
Score: 100

/4
Name: Master;
Exp mod: 120
Loot mod: 70
Neutral HP: 115
Corruption start: 10
Corruption max: 84
Score: 125

/5
Name: Lord;
Exp mod: 130
Loot mod: 60
Neutral HP: 130
Corruption start: 8
Corruption max: 90
Score: 150

/6
Name: Overlord;
Exp mod: 140
Loot mod: 50
Neutral HP: 145
Corruption start: 6
Corruption max: 96
Score: 175

It doesn't say what the AI's getting. If it's the same start as your own, then no matter what you're in for problems.

I wonder how quick you should get a second Hero? There's little more annoying than hearing your people get scared of settling, then having to run back.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 7, 2013

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

poo poo starting with 500 gold and 20 gems, I'd like to see some youtube of a russian guy playing on a really high difficutly.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

The Quake posted:

poo poo starting with 500 gold and 20 gems, I'd like to see some youtube of a russian guy playing on a really high difficutly.

This might be kind of a stupid question, but what do you ever end up actually spending gems on besides random events and spells? I'm a few missions in to the campaign, I just nuke everything all day every day with every one of my heroes who needs to do so and my gem stockpile steadily grows.

(Also, has anyone had any luck applying for the beta test after the 'official' closing date? I applied myself a few days ago but haven't heard a peep.)

edit: I'm also a huge retard who plays on easy mode. That explains the never ending gem supply.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

The Quake posted:

I play expert which starts like that... that list almost makes me think I should play higher as the increased penalties aren't THAT bad.

I don't know what else higher dif. affects though.

The major difference so far is the early game, where you can't start with your ideal troops / spells, or quickly spit out a second hero. I now start with barbarians or (rarely) brigands, and work my way up.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

immortal flow posted:

(Also, has anyone had any luck applying for the beta test after the 'official' closing date? I applied myself a few days ago but haven't heard a peep.)
I signed up maybe a week ago, and got in just the other day, so they're definitely still taking in new folks.

My feelings about it are kinda mixed, though: I like some of the graphical updates, and the themed shards (world of death = low pop and lots of undead, desert = higher stamina costs, world of magic = duh, etc) are pretty cool, but I feel like the ui took a step back, and the new unit animations just slow down the pace of combat. Plus, it doesn't seem to be optimized very well, as my fps sucks even on minimal settings.

Still, it's a beta, so hopefully some of this will change before release

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 7, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I don't care about performance/missing poo poo, but the animation speed and particularly the UI are very concerning.

UI poo poo tends to be slooooooooooooow to change once artists get involved, and a bad UI would kill the game for me. The fact that its worse than its predecessor is not a good sign.

But still, beta, we'll see how it goes. If they push it out the door that'd blow, but if they take their time unlike most 'demo' betas, it could turn out fine.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
At what point in the campaign can you attck enemy shards? The goblin said something about them breaking apart when you're not strong enough.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tarquinn posted:

At what point in the campaign can you attck enemy shards? The goblin said something about them breaking apart when you're not strong enough.

Shortly after the first time your shard is attacked.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
I'll share a tip I found playing good:

The classical good army early on is 1 healer 3 swordsmen/pikemen. Swordsmen have parry, which makes them nearly invincible against the first melee strike, as well as vastly superior ranged defense. Pikemen have much weaker defensive-stats all around, but have first-strike.

Pikemen, in my opinion, are weaker in a single battle but better strategically. Here's why:

When you have a single wounded melee enemy in the battle, you can exploit the AI. The unit will just wander just outside of your pikemen line because it knows it will die against first strike if it attacks while wounded. A level 2 healer can learn recuperation, which allows the healer to regain 1 healing charge while resting. Given some tedious micromanagement, you can have all your surviving troops, AND your hero 100% healed at the end of every winning battle. A pikemen army in which you can prevent deaths is capable of continually beating enemy guards without a break for rest. You can save the gems that would have otherwise been spent on cure spells or rituals in other places. Sometimes, after a tough battle with a ranged/magical enemy, you'll have to beat them quickly and will end up with wounded pikemen. In the next battle, go ahead and beat on some weak melee neutrals like goblins/orcs/undead so your healer can get everyone back to 100%.

The same strategy also works during a battle, but in a different way. Sometimes you will see your pikemen being overwhelmed by superior enemy numbers, and your healer can't outheal the enemy damage. If you're positioned right, a wounded enemy who doesn't attack your pikemen will actually obstruct other enemy units from attacking, so that it's only attacked once instead of multiple times. This one turn can be the difference between your hero or your healer having the time to recharge an important area of your battle line.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Quake posted:

You could try VedeN's videos from here http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3448418

They're all in Russian, though. I think they're talking on the Russian forums about uploading this stuff on Youtube and supplying some English subs, but that's not going to happen in a while.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

my dad posted:

Shortly after the first time your shard is attacked.

Thanks.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
All the medal juggling and such makes me realize that there's more to this game than I had even realized.. drat russians :v:. I've TRIED to give a few key specific units (namely gryphons) Medals of the Victor but I couldn't duplicate it - I put 1 gryphon, a commander hero, and like 10 healers in an army, had them fight some weak enemy, let all of the healers die, killed most of the enemies with spells, and let the gryphon finish the last one off. Apparently, that's not enough - possibly the gryphon needs to get more than just the one kill... Regardless, Order of the Victor or whatever it's called is like the best medal, and the units that get it usually end up becoming high level badasses.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

All the medal juggling and such makes me realize that there's more to this game than I had even realized.. drat russians :v:. I've TRIED to give a few key specific units (namely gryphons) Medals of the Victor but I couldn't duplicate it - I put 1 gryphon, a commander hero, and like 10 healers in an army, had them fight some weak enemy, let all of the healers die, killed most of the enemies with spells, and let the gryphon finish the last one off. Apparently, that's not enough - possibly the gryphon needs to get more than just the one kill... Regardless, Order of the Victor or whatever it's called is like the best medal, and the units that get it usually end up becoming high level badasses.

I believe you get this one if the unit survived in a battle that killed 80% of the army and killed a shitton of units as well.

floor(TotalAllies / AliveAllies) > 5
MeleeKills + RangedKills > 0
Random(21 + TotalAllies + MeleeKills + RangedKills) >= 20,

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Any particular tips for the first couple of shards? I'm finding that the AI's ability to poo poo out instant endless walls of province guards simply ends up fencing me off until my only option due to my poo poo unit access is to grind my heroes to invincibility, which doesn't seem like a sustainable long term strategy. I'm not LOSING, I'm simply unable to effectively take ground with my awful garbage low tier units without a god hero to kill everything.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Kanos posted:

Any particular tips for the first couple of shards? I'm finding that the AI's ability to poo poo out instant endless walls of province guards simply ends up fencing me off until my only option due to my poo poo unit access is to grind my heroes to invincibility, which doesn't seem like a sustainable long term strategy. I'm not LOSING, I'm simply unable to effectively take ground with my awful garbage low tier units without a god hero to kill everything.

Other than being aggressive with early expansion so that this presents less of a problem, I'd suggest using swordsmen to support your hero since they can take quite a beating, or getting a good commander, since commanders turn tier one units into murder-machines. Build a fort near the frontlines to reinforce whenever you need, in addition to having a handy trap for enemy herous (they can't flee if they're sieging a fort) Try finding a harpy nest or a fairy tree in one of your provinces since they let you recruit useful, cheap tier 2 units. Also, get mercenaries. They're really, really useful in this situation.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Also, poke around for weaknesses. I have a lot of trouble with the AI inevitably allying with centaurs on turn two, then snapping up a load of centaur provinces defended with over a dozen excellent tier two units. It really annoys me, since there's no way they can be killing five ogres in that kind of time. Regardless, if you can find a way through the centaur provinces the AI heroes are usually pretty unimpressive.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kanos posted:

Take a warrior, go on a province capturing rampage. Once you've leveled the warrior somewhat, drop the units, go solo. Try to rush the opponents.

The thing with the first shards in the campaign is that T2+ buildings that the other heroes depend on for maximum efficiency are simply unavailable yet. The only two things the warrior needs, on the other hand, are himself and decent gear. And you'll find some.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
I found this post on a Russian board that gives the requirements for various medals.

Mr.Hell
Nov 10, 2011
Does anyone know how to get the dwarves to allow an alliance?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mr.Hell posted:

Does anyone know how to get the dwarves to allow an alliance?

You'll need a hero with ranks in the Diplomacy skill. If your karma isn't Evil, they'll ally with you through a quest to find a poleaxe in a Lair of Bandits, so hopefully you'll find one while exploring or have one at the ready. If your Diplomacy skill is high enough (3, I think), you can instantly buy an alliance through 3000 gold.

vvv: Sure thing.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Hell
Nov 10, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

You'll need a hero with ranks in the Diplomacy skill. If your karma isn't Evil, they'll ally with you through a quest to find a poleaxe in a Lair of Bandits, so hopefully you'll find one while exploring or have one at the ready. If your Diplomacy skill is high enough (3, I think), you can instantly buy an alliance through 3000 gold.

Thanks!

• Locked thread