Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wonder if it means something that liked both that* and HOI3 :ohdear:

* This was before our household had regular internet access and I really had no idea that it was universally panned.

You know, I was so excited about MoO3 I couldn't wait for my pre-order copy to arrive in the mail, so I ran out on release day and bought a 2nd copy figuring I could give the other one away to someone as a gift later.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Darkrenown posted:

You know, I was so excited about MoO3 I couldn't wait for my pre-order copy to arrive in the mail, so I ran out on release day and bought a 2nd copy figuring I could give the other one away to someone as a gift later.

:(

Goddamn. I was incredibly excited about it, but pre-ordering wasn't really a thing I did at the time, so I was actually warned off it by an unfortunate friend who did pre-order it.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

run DNC posted:

I've played a whole bunch of games and every one has had a really big Poland. My most recent one was notable for them occupying the entirity of Italy for 15 years while also at war with HRE Austria and Russia, to the point that Mantua now controls all of Lombardia.

On that topic, here's the state of the world in 1624 in my Al-Andalus game:

AI restrictions off for the first 100 years, then 100 on, and then turned off again.
Poland has the largest army and economy out of the AI states.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Out of curiousity, why have you left the central/south american natives alone? You're missing out on a lot of gold.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

Goddamn. I was incredibly excited about it, but pre-ordering wasn't really a thing I did at the time, so I was actually warned off it by an unfortunate friend who did pre-order it.

I remember weeks and weeks of the True Believers continuing to insist that if you could just get over the 'Learning Cliff', MOO3 was an amazing game. :smith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The sad thing is it had some pretty neat ideas but they were implemented in a terrible way. There was a pretty active mod scene for a while that managed to turn it into an almost fun game, but it's completely dead now.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Wiz posted:

Out of curiousity, why have you left the central/south american natives alone? You're missing out on a lot of gold.

Well, I didn't want to have any non-contiguous territory in the new world, and I just recently colonized up to them. I did conquer the northernmost tribe in S-A and the new goldmines were amazing, but I decided to take out Italy before I cleaned up the rest since I just got a good tech lead on them, and I went from 0 levels of overextension to level 4 from the new Italian territory. I got that down to 2 levels by researching Gov tech 28 and switching to Absolute monarchy, but then my 8 admin king died and the new king has 3 admin, so I got another level of overextension. Now I just want to get rid of that again before I conquer anymore, and besides, beating up the native Americans is way less fun than taking over Europe.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Nightblade posted:

Well, I didn't want to have any non-contiguous territory in the new world, and I just recently colonized up to them. I did conquer the northernmost tribe in S-A and the new goldmines were amazing, but I decided to take out Italy before I cleaned up the rest since I just got a good tech lead on them, and I went from 0 levels of overextension to level 4 from the new Italian territory. I got that down to 2 levels by researching Gov tech 28 and switching to Absolute monarchy, but then my 8 admin king died and the new king has 3 admin, so I got another level of overextension. Now I just want to get rid of that again before I conquer anymore, and besides, beating up the native Americans is way less fun than taking over Europe.

At least attack them and take all their money in the peace deal. They get ridiculously rich, because they have all that gold and nothing to buy because of their awful tech levels.

reL
May 20, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

Or you could play some parts and let the AI carry out your plan in other parts, crazy I know! HoI3 really isn't the only game in the world with AI automation options.

No don't you see the world is black and white and your only options are to go insane in micromanagement hell or watch the game.

That being said I have something an hour total of HoI3 playtime, but I still find this micromanage/watch dichotomy to be ridiculous.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Friend Commuter posted:

At least attack them and take all their money in the peace deal. They get ridiculously rich, because they have all that gold and nothing to buy because of their awful tech levels.

I could only take about 250 from them for 100 war score, and that's just not enough for me to bother with it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Friend Commuter posted:

Not quite true in EU3+ because the new world natives start with 'New World Gold' which is a regular tradegood that gets switched to regular Gold if they are conquered or modernize.

Also Nightblade: Town Halls and City Halls are the answer to your overextension woes.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Wiz posted:

Not quite true in EU3+ because the new world natives start with 'New World Gold' which is a regular tradegood that gets switched to regular Gold if they are conquered or modernize.

Also Nightblade: Town Halls and City Halls are the answer to your overextension woes.

Already got Town Halls in every European and 5 SA provinces :)
I'm saving up money for when I hit Gov 29, so I can build the Cathedrals, and then later City Halls. I also just got another level of overextension without conquering any more, presumably because I moved towards Free Subjects.

I took Friend Commuter's advice and tried to take the natives gold in a war, but when I've occupied them completely 25 gold is worth 250 war score, even though they have over 100 gold, so that didn't really work out. :(

Edit: I think Cathedral and City Hall are switched in the build order, since Cathedral has twice the build time and requires higher gov tech than City Hall. Playing 1. 3.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 9, 2013

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I'm playing through EUIII for the first time (as Castille), and I have a couple questions.

Inflation: is there anything I can do about it besides having the right advisor and the national back idea? Just keeping my budget balanced lets it creep up steadily, and stops me from doing much else.

Are royal marriages just a waiting game, in the hopes that somebody will have a weak claim, our is there anything I can do about it. Not having my CK2-style murder button makes me feel a bit listless here.

I'm guessing the game will eventually give me a mission to take Aragon and become Spain, judging from the missions I've gotten so far. Is that about right?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Nolanar posted:

I'm playing through EUIII for the first time (as Castille), and I have a couple questions.

Inflation: is there anything I can do about it besides having the right advisor and the national back idea? Just keeping my budget balanced lets it creep up steadily, and stops me from doing much else.

Are royal marriages just a waiting game, in the hopes that somebody will have a weak claim, our is there anything I can do about it. Not having my CK2-style murder button makes me feel a bit listless here.

I'm guessing the game will eventually give me a mission to take Aragon and become Spain, judging from the missions I've gotten so far. Is that about right?

There is a ck2 murderbutton! You can assasinate heir with a spy, but its incredibly inaccurate and expensive!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nolanar posted:

Having small amounts of inflation is not a huge issue. As a general rule of thumb, anything under 10% is fine, and at 20% it becomes a problem. There are other ways to reduce it. Each step towards Centralization gives you .015 yearly reduction. Also when you move your sliders towards Free Citizens, one of the three events gives you an instant 2% inflation reduction.

Unfortunately for you, Castille does not get a non-generic mission to conquer Aragon. Getting a personal union is difficult and unreliable unless you get a claim right off the bat like in Kersch's LP. Otherwise you'll pretty much have to brute force your way. One way to do it is to get them excommunicated, but even that depends on them being on bad terms with the Pope. And you'll still have to wait for the provinces to core.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Nolanar posted:

Generally, if your inflation is lower than your neighbor's, is growing at a slower rate than your neighbor's (you can see this in the ledger), and is below 20% you're fine. Easiest way to PU Aragon is to just keep marrying and pray, sadly murdering heirs is just too unpredictable and you want to keep relations good. There will be a banner at the top of the screen that will tell you when there is a nation that has no heir and is vulnerable to a PU, so keep an eye on that. Also, keep your prestige up; if they have no heir but you have more prestige than they or anyone else married to them do, then you get your PU, so get the national idea that boosts prestige plus a rank 6 philosopher plus go to war with random nations whenever possible to get prestige bumps.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
This has probably come up before, but wouldn't it be great if Paradox released a thing so that you could tie all their games together, if you owned them all? So you could start a game in Crusader Kings II which would blend seamlessly into Europa Universalis which would flow into Vicky 2 which would run on into Hearts of Iron. And I don't just mean a save transfer, I mean the games would combine to form one super-Paradox game. Just think how many hours you could lose to that!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm playing EU3+ 1.04 as the Ming Dynasty in China. One thing I can't quite figure out is the conditions for getting the Colonial Aspiration decision. What are the "Northern" or "Southern" Expeditionary Ports (if I recall the name correctly)?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

6EQUJ5 posted:

This has probably come up before, but wouldn't it be great if Paradox released a thing so that you could tie all their games together, if you owned them all? So you could start a game in Crusader Kings II which would blend seamlessly into Europa Universalis which would flow into Vicky 2 which would run on into Hearts of Iron. And I don't just mean a save transfer, I mean the games would combine to form one super-Paradox game. Just think how many hours you could lose to that!

This is pretty much the Great White Whale of Paradox mods/tools/games.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Ray and Shirley posted:

Yeah I suspected it might be. Still, I shall dream, for I am dreadfully cracked about the head.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 9, 2013

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

DrSunshine posted:

I'm playing EU3+ 1.04 as the Ming Dynasty in China. One thing I can't quite figure out is the conditions for getting the Colonial Aspiration decision. What are the "Northern" or "Southern" Expeditionary Ports (if I recall the name correctly)?

They are in Europe. France/England and Iberia/North Africa respectively.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I've read so much about the Srbja LP but apparently it's Archives-only? Is it hosted somewhere else too?

Really wanna take a look at that thing.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Srjbyzantijum: the only country that got invaded by horsenomads in 1800

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Looks like I should keep pushing centralization and marrying Portuguese and Aragon...ian people for a while. But I at least conquered Morocco, which helped my prestige a good amount.

Ray and Shirley posted:

Are there even any tools to convert between games, or is it still pretty much a by-hand thing?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Darkrenown posted:

Most 4x games have planetary/city governors, the Civ games also have automate worker options, Galciv2 has rally points/auto fleets/and neat automated constructor ships, Distant Worlds can also be almost entirely run by the AI for you...

Did you have some point?

There's a point at which automation is just covering for bad design in a game and I believe Hearts of Iron 3 and Master of Iron 3 are both at that point.

Incidentally, I never use Civ's automate worker options because they do dumb things, rally points/auto armies etc are an example of good automation that Hearts of Iron 3 doesn't have, and Distant Worlds is a game I haven't played.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Vegetable posted:

Without a proper Casus Belli each province costs 10 infamy. I only can use Fabricated Claims CB and get each province for 3 infamy but as far as I know, only one province per war. So it's still a ton of waiting between multiple wars.

I've never seen that event, but the regular infamy to take a province is already 10 (without CB).
Right, but if all you need is Wien, you border it, and you can't take it by itself in a single war, it might be worth it to take advantage of the land-grabbing event. They aren't rare. If you occupy a province in your culture group, or one that you have a core or maybe temp claim on, you will get the offer after 3+ years of continuous occupation. I used the same thing as The Ottomans to take Cairo from the Mamluks after I'd already conquered the thin strip of land along the Mediterranean from them in an earlier war. Cairo was directly south of me, but it would have been extremely costly to isolate it since it had a port.

Tahirovic posted:

And Kersch did you ever think about making a more economy based mod? You already made tradegoods more fun but I could see a mod with more/changed buildings, some decisions and events being very interesting.
I did make a province decision that tried to add pop growth at the cost of local_tax but that didn't really seem to work, not to mention it's kinda hard to get the balance right. (Ever had a province that could build Galleons in 3 days? I did.)
Right now I just feel like I always want to have infamy, time spent at 0 infamy feels like wasted time. As I can't integrate provinces quick enough on my own I always have vassals and extend their territory by conquering and selling provinces. I'd prefer to use some of that manpower and money to actually build up my current provinces.
Haha, yeah things can get pretty wacky if you mess with modifiers enough. I remember in an earlier version of the Death and Taxes mod that I tried several months ago where there were so many ways to stack -% land tech cost that I was getting a new rank every 3-4 months. I finally locked my land tech growth when it capped out at "275 years ahead of its time" in like the 1670s.

And to be honest, I haven't really thought of modding for a while. Any time I've spent with EU3 lately has been spent trying out the EU3Plus betas.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

6EQUJ5 posted:

There's an EU3 mod named Steppe Wolfe that is somewhat similar to what you describe. You might want to check it out.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Was gonna say... with all the mechanics you'd need to cover all that, you'd almost certainly end up with a slightly more polished Steppe Wolfe. There is just no way to code for the Roman Empire, and 1400s France, and 19th century Prussian, and the USSR, and the modern US without having tons of abstraction (and we already have Civilization) and/or being utterly unplayable horrible.

I honestly don't know why anyone would want something like that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
And the problem with converters is that they'd be a huge programming effort (that would need to be tested and updated every time either of the two games they link is patched) that would sell less than the games. it's just too much effort for too little return.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gort posted:

There's a point at which automation is just covering for bad design in a game and I believe Hearts of Iron 3 and Master of Iron 3 are both at that point.

If you're automating anything other than small fronts half the world away so you can focus your attention on a primary front you're playing hoi3 wrong.

Hoi3 does have issues but the whole point of the game is that you're a warlord fighting massive wars. If you're just setting Berlin as the objective for the theatre ai why are you even playing?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Nolanar posted:

There's no pressing need to balance your monthly budget, you get a lump sum on the first day of each year, as long as you don't go below 0 you don't need to be making money each month.

Gort posted:

Incidentally, I never use Civ's automate worker options because they do dumb things, rally points/auto armies etc are an example of good automation that Hearts of Iron 3 doesn't have, and Distant Worlds is a game I haven't played.

I never used worker AI in Civ either. I also didn't use governors in any 4x before the very endgame sometimes, nor do I use automation in HoI3 for the most part. That's the amazing secret: Just because there's AI options doesn't mean you have to use them!

You don't need GC2 style rally points in HoI, because unlike GC where you build units on different planets and have to move them together to form fleets, in HoI you deploy all units from a central pool. However, if you automate an army and give it a target somewhere it will certainly move to attack/defend that area, including overseas if you attach some transports. HoI3 also has automated army options to a far greater extent than GC2 had automated fleets (Auto fleet option was "Once you have a fleet, attack nearest enemy"), so I really have no idea what you're talking about there.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Darkrenown posted:

I never used worker AI in Civ either. I also didn't use governors in any 4x before the very endgame sometimes, nor do I use automation in HoI3 for the most part. That's the amazing secret: Just because there's AI options doesn't mean you have to use them!

The game is too boring not to use the AI automation. There are simply too many provinces for me to care about.

Are we going to go over this again?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

run DNC posted:

They are in Europe. France/England and Iberia/North Africa respectively.

Oh. :smith:

So I can't become a colonial power as the Ming. I'm kind of disappointed! You'd have figured that with the "Divine Wind" expansion and all, they'd have given you the option to do the voyages of Zheng He and his treasure feet.

EDIT: Man, this is kind of depressing. Seems like all I do is worry about the steppe nomads and squash internal rebellions all the time, constantly praying that the stability doesn't drop below 2.

On the other hand, that sounds exactly like Chinese history. Hah!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 9, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gort posted:

The game is too boring not to use the AI automation. There are simply too many provinces for me to care about.

Are we going to go over this again?

I dunno, why jump in to the conversation if you don't actually want to have it? If you don't like HoI3 I really don't care, but if you post blatantly false things about it I am going to dispute them.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

DrSunshine posted:

Oh. :smith:

So I can't become a colonial power as the Ming. I'm kind of disappointed! You'd have figured that with the "Divine Wind" expansion and all, they'd have given you the option to do the voyages of Zheng He and his treasure feet.

That gameplay mechanic was actually added in EUIII+, normally you just need your colonial range to extend to America and then get colonists from something (vanilla EUIII; yearly you get 1 if you're Catholic, a bunch of national ideas give you colonists, and bordering hordes gives you colonists. EUIII+; yearly you get 1 for doing the colonial decision and then that unlocks the NIs you can also take for more). I think it was to prevent things like Poland dominating North America while AI Portugal hasn't even grabbed Azores.

You'll need Naval Tech 16 I believe to do the decision without a single European province, there should still be plenty of California and some South America up for grabs by then.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is the carnival of lust?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DrProsek posted:

That gameplay mechanic was actually added in EUIII+, normally you just need your colonial range to extend to America and then get colonists from something (vanilla EUIII; yearly you get 1 if you're Catholic, a bunch of national ideas give you colonists, and bordering hordes gives you colonists. EUIII+; yearly you get 1 for doing the colonial decision and then that unlocks the NIs you can also take for more). I think it was to prevent things like Poland dominating North America while AI Portugal hasn't even grabbed Azores.

You'll need Naval Tech 16 I believe to do the decision without a single European province, there should still be plenty of California and some South America up for grabs by then.

I'd also been wondering about that. How do I get colonists? Do I just need Naval Tech 16 then? Or do I need to build something, adopt a certain naval idea, or click a certain decision?

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

DrSunshine posted:

I'd also been wondering about that. How do I get colonists? Do I just need Naval Tech 16 then? Or do I need to build something, adopt a certain naval idea, or click a certain decision?

You can still become a colonial power as Ming if you really want to, the Europeans will just have a head start. All you need to do is take the "Colonial Initiative" decision once you qualify for it. That is what DrProsek was referring to regarding Naval Tech 16, which is presumably the tech level required if you don't own a European exploration port (I don't remember it off the top of my head, so I'm assuming DrProsek is correct). Once you do that, Quest for the New World and other colonial/naval ideas will naturally help you colonize, as can a few decisions you should be able to see the requirements for once you enact the Colonial Initiative decision.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Viscardus posted:

You can still become a colonial power as Ming if you really want to, the Europeans will just have a head start. All you need to do is take the "Colonial Initiative" decision once you qualify for it. That is what DrProsek was referring to regarding Naval Tech 16, which is presumably the tech level required if you don't own a European exploration port (I don't remember it off the top of my head, so I'm assuming DrProsek is correct). Once you do that, Quest for the New World and other colonial/naval ideas will naturally help you colonize, as can a few decisions you should be able to see the requirements for once you enact the Colonial Initiative decision.

Ah, okay, alright! Thanks for the advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is the carnival of lust?

There is a link in the "Scrap Book of Fond Memories" for the Dev Diary for MM about it; it was creepy at the time and hilarious to us now.

• Locked thread