Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I've never done a faster 180 on a movie. This seems... odd and interesting.

You see, HOLLYWOOD, what one good poster can do?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Delocated: The Movie

Awesome.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's your balaclava reference, not Pussy Riot?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Mirminsky Family, Mighty Joe John the Black Blonde, Todd Barry, Qi-qang, TB and Jon are far superior to a bunch of tone-deaf Russian political prisoners.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Is it bad that I saw goatse even without the fingers?

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Well, kudos for a poster trying to do something a bit different, but man do I hate that poster so much. It doesn't look like pastels or crayons or whatever it's supposed to be as much as it looks like layers upon layers of photoshop default filters. Bonus hard-to-read tagline.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

TheJoker138 posted:

The movie looks kind of great from the clips they've released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO0RPZcHDe4

So James Franco is playing a serious RiFF RaFF basically

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

bows1 posted:

He made me think of Sir Smokesalot from Half Baked.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

feedmyleg posted:

Some day when I'm a big Hollywood producer, I'm going to buy the rights to adapt old film posters into new movies, ignoring the bad B-movies themselves. I mean come on, adapting this could be incredible:

This was my second favorite movie as a kid. It's absolutely bonkers retarded. Please watch it if the opportunity presents itself.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Dillbag posted:

Maybe a bad poster, but definitely intriguing. Especially the tag line.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

bows1 posted:

Felt like he was playing Stone falling back into a life of crime after getting paroled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYho06z-_t8

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Dillbag posted:

Probably, but we're in the same boat.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Dillbag posted:

I saw it too, but then I read the tagline as "The Pie wants what it wants", thinking it was a depiction of an enormous raspberry galette mislabeled as "The Pie." There's even what appears to be a slice taken out of it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

OK Octopus posted:

I have this bad boy on my wall. I wish to God someone would bring this era of posters back.

I love the way the island is just kinda plonked randomly in the void. And a skywriter's labelled it just in case anyone was confused as to if it was the titular island.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I am irrationally fond of the classic sci-fi/horror poster cliche of the monster posing while cradling an unconscious woman. Even - or especially - when nothing like that ever happens in the movie.

By 1954 I think this was already a cliche, as it's being used misleadingly here:

I know I've seen others, but my memory fails me regarding their titles.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Bongo Bill posted:

I am irrationally fond of the classic sci-fi/horror poster cliche of the monster posing while cradling an unconscious woman. Even - or especially - when nothing like that ever happens in the movie.

That monster design has to be the laziest or most confusing monster design ever. "We'll put him in a gorilla suit but we can't use the head of the gorilla so we'll replace it with a skull, but a human skull on a gorilla body will look weird so let's put it in a space helmet with antennas!" It also has strangely delicate hands.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cacator posted:

That monster design has to be the laziest or most confusing monster design ever. "We'll put him in a gorilla suit but we can't use the head of the gorilla so we'll replace it with a skull, but a human skull on a gorilla body will look weird so let's put it in a space helmet with antennas!" It also has strangely delicate hands.

You've never seen Robot Monster, have you?

The skull is the only thing missing from the in-movie monster.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 10, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Young Freud posted:

You've never seen Robot Monster, have you?

The skull is the only thing missing from the in-movie monster.

Yeah, no skull, he's literally just a scubarilla.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I was gonna go with Odd Future.

Bongo Bill posted:

By 1954 I think this was already a cliche, as it's being used misleadingly here:

Yeah, my favourite part about this, is that not only is the robot a good guy, but the person he carries like that in the movie is a man.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Coffee And Pie posted:

You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention.

Directed by Harmony Korine, so keep your attention very, very low.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only thing connected to Harmony Korine that I've watched was Kids, and I thought it was a bleak, pretentious piece of poo poo. The basic summary of that film was "underage kids gently caress a lot, one of them is a scumbag with aids". The End.

That aside, I'm intrigued by James Franco's performance but I don't know if I'm intrigued enough to bother watching the movie. I'm sure it'll be creepy enough that I'd feel ashamed for buying a ticket/watching the movie in public.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Hey, look, a movie poster I like:

The half underwater T-Rex in particular is amazing. Instead of just compositing it over the sub scene, it's really half submerged!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

The only thing connected to Harmony Korine that I've watched was Kids, and I thought it was a bleak, pretentious piece of poo poo. The basic summary of that film was "underage kids gently caress a lot, one of them is a scumbag with aids". The End.

That aside, I'm intrigued by James Franco's performance but I don't know if I'm intrigued enough to bother watching the movie. I'm sure it'll be creepy enough that I'd feel ashamed for buying a ticket/watching the movie in public.

You should check out Mister Lonely. You certainly can't lump that plot alongside Kids.
edit: And Julien Donkey Boy, for anyone who decided on him after Gummo.

I didn't feel Trash Humpers and that Die Antward thing, but I think he's a totally interesting film maker from everything else, and someone I trust raved about Breakers and put it at the top of his films of the year, so I got my ticket for whenever the hell it screens in New Zealand.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 10, 2013

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

To be fair, I don't know how I'd sell "Fantasia" for it's premier either but, uh...?

In other news, the wacky snails in "Epic" continue to be jarring as hell:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Fantasia, I liked this :shroom: poster made for it during the 70s.

Saw another one like this for Alice on the old dvd, but I can't find it on Google.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is the 30 Days part of the title supposed to be a play on 30 Days of Night? Now? :psyduck:

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Rirse posted:

Saw another one like this for Alice on the old dvd, but I can't find it on Google.

When it comes to Fantasia I've always liked the simple design, especially with the shiny gold lettering:

Bonus horrible DeviantArt poo poo:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rirse posted:

I love it when movie companies straight-up marketed to acidheads and pot smokers. Let me see if I can dig up that 2001 poster calling it "the ultimate trip".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rahonavis posted:

In other news, the wacky snails in "Epic" continue to be jarring as hell:

:frogout:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dillbag posted:

Before you die you see the ring.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Rirse posted:

Might be this one. A couple sites claim that it's from the 1974 re-release.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

'Tis Brillig?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So we have The Comedy, and now Epic. Any other takers out there? Is 2014 going to see Action, Thriller[taken], or Sci-Fi?

A Loaf of Bread
Mar 19, 2008

Gonz posted:

'Tis Brillig?

A reference to the opening line of "The Jabberwocky," I believe.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Gonz posted:

'Tis Brillig?

It's the first line of the poem Jabberwocky.

EDIT: Beaten.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Disney OK'd these, then almost immediately went, "Oh gently caress we made a huge mistake" and their retraction became very public:

For several decades after that, they tried their damndest to block sales of 16mm prints of "Alice in Wonderland" to college campuses.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lobok posted:

So we have The Comedy, and now Epic. Any other takers out there? Is 2014 going to see Action, Thriller[taken], or Sci-Fi?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Wait, isn't it 'twas? 'Twas brillig?

e: oh, they're saying that it is brillig? That the movie is brillig? Ugh.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Why is that ugh worthy? Because you were too dopey to get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Wendell posted:

Why is that ugh worthy? Because you were too dopey to get it?

I'd ugh too because it makes no sense. All the nonsense words in Jabberwocky have definitions, courtesy of Lewis Carroll. Brillig means "four o'clock in the afternoon — the time when you begin broiling things for dinner." Not exactly the sort of thing I'd think important to advertise on a movie poster.