Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

Actually I bet Abe's still mad about the season 4 to 10 challenge room...

Was that room really cramped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

zari-gani posted:

...or Abe is a secret expert on property assessment.

Somehow I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Abe spent some time flipping houses.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

(reset is on the touch-screen, far away from all practical button-mashing)

Reset is R+B.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Was that room really cramped?

I don't think it was more cramped than the current room but the lighting was clearly a problem the whole time they were using it. They had to prop Arino against that pillar which would complicate things because they needed the room's exit to be behind camera. Also, HD was not kind to how they used that room.

The book Game Center CX Complete has several pictures of the set up during Umihara Kawase if anyone is interested...

Drakkel posted:

Somehow I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Abe spent some time flipping houses.

Abe is the only man who has consistently made money in Japanese real-estate in the past twenty years...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 11, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

While we're sorta discussing show logistics, I've been wondering about something for awhile. What's with the big variance in season sizes? The seasons range from 6 episodes to a buttload of episodes in Season 15. Is it just a matter of getting approval for that number of episodes and just calling it a season or what?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

While we're sorta discussing show logistics, I've been wondering about something for awhile. What's with the big variance in season sizes? The seasons range from 6 episodes to a buttload of episodes in Season 15. Is it just a matter of getting approval for that number of episodes and just calling it a season or what?

I think (and the emphasis is on think) that it has a lot to do with Arino's schedule. These days Game Center CX seems to be one of his primary projects instead of something he does on the side three days a month. So they give him a full year schedule for the seasons which amounts to 20 episodes plus some specials in seasons 15 and 16. If Arino had to take an extended break to shoot another show then they called it the end of a season.

Season 4 would have been the first really full season except Arino had to take a break for the birth of his daughter and they split it into two seasons plus made him shoot the Far North trip to fill in the two month gap. Season 9 was obviously cut short because of Arino's health. I don't know why season 13 is such an outlier, though.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
After watching the RGC video (which was awesome) this morning, I just pulled off the Arino ending in Haggleman 2. It's not that bad since you do get to use continues, but it's still pretty tough since the skeleton ninja enemies Dark Hagglemen are a bitch to take care of since they have almost no stun time when you hit them, which can lead to a number of deaths if one jumps down in front of a door you're behind as you let go of the up button. I might attempt a no continue run, but after what I saw, I kinda doubt I could do that. :(

Obeast fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 11, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Thing is, I don't think anyone buys the idea that that was a fuckup, at least if they have ever played the game (reset is on the touch-screen, far away from all practical button-mashing).

There's also a hotkey. It think it's, like, Up+X.

EDIT: Oh, R+B. Not really hard to do, I accidentally back/forward Gutenberg on the 3DS browser just holding the drat thing and scrolling.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Can't help but wonder how much better Retro Game Challenge might've sold had it been released today...

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Any word on how many copies of RGM have been sold on DVD so far? I would assume the DS game would probably be in the same ballpark.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Can't help but wonder how much better Retro Game Challenge might've sold had it been released today...

I think it being a DS game would hinder it's sales quite a bit. A 3DS package consisting of the original and the sequel on the other hand...

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

I think it being a DS game would hinder it's sales quite a bit. A 3DS package consisting of the original and the sequel on the other hand...

If the English GCCX fandom was today's size when RGC was released years ago, then. If only the two games could be released as a 3DS digital download.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Mister Chief posted:

Despite it being on DS, it really doesn't need the touch screen or the ability to show both screens at once. No chance of it happening now, but I imagine porting it to WiiWare, PSN, Steam, and XBLA wouldn't be huge and could have made it an indie hit.

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011
Expensive 'used' plastic doll update!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Takarato...#ht_3157wt_1163

Dropped from $402 to $292. That's cheaper than a home version of Metal Slug 4 and infinitely more fun.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

How much do those go for on yahoo auctions?

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
XSeed brought over a bunch of games (Half Minute Hero in particular) that I like but they never were really good at marketing. If RGC was published here by Atlus or Aksys I bet there would have been some kind of second push for it by now.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Is Ray the only one here who owns one of these?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Famibomb posted:

Dropped from $402 to $292. That's cheaper than a home version of Metal Slug 4 and infinitely more fun.

I'm tempted. But I still think that's too rich even for a Kancho!

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

cronox2 posted:

XSeed brought over a bunch of games (Half Minute Hero in particular) that I like but they never were really good at marketing. If RGC was published here by Atlus or Aksys I bet there would have been some kind of second push for it by now.

I flipped past a RGC ad in an issue of EGM a million times before I actually looked at it and went "Wait a minute, this sounds AWESOME!" The ad was so plain, I think I had assumed it was for an event or something.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Tobaccrow posted:

I flipped past a RGC ad in an issue of EGM a million times before I actually looked at it and went "Wait a minute, this sounds AWESOME!" The ad was so plain, I think I had assumed it was for an event or something.

Was it either of these?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Arino may be the puzzle chief but can he defeat Japan's favorite puzzle game and an array of AD's out for blood? He's playing Qwirks! Wait, that's not right. He's playing Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine! Hang on, still not quite it. Arino's playing Kirby's Avalanche! Okay, at least I've got the right system but let me try again. It's time for Kirby's Ghost Trap! Huh, how many titles does this game have, anyway? Let's just say it's Super Puyo Puyo.

The episode was translated by Onimaru, who wrote up a detailed guide on the hundreds of Puyo Puyo variations from around the world that I just threw out.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 481.40 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

(First 111 112 Episodes Status: 2 untranslated.)

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Was Onimaru the person who said they were going to try and translate this a few months ago?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
YES I LOVE YOU :swoon:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Was Onimaru the person who said they were going to try and translate this a few months ago?

No, he is not. Onimaru has been pretty quiet about which episodes he's doing.

Edit: Poor season 13. What's left are a baseball episode, an hour long interview, and a not very popular game. All of those are going to cause someone a headache.

Also, hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to watch the Spelunker challenge. I'm giddy with excitement...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 11, 2013

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

zari-gani posted:

Was it either of these?

Ads like this almost make me wish I still read gaming magazines. Those are fantastic.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Here is the raw of episode #152 Yoshi's Island. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4xSZ1pP1a8

I love the Puyo Puyo Series of games. I have been waiting to see this episode. This is the premier episode of male AD Takahashi.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 11, 2013

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

zari-gani posted:

He said he's bringing Abe along with his office search to consult with too. I'm guessing it's either to get his advice as the cameraman who sets up the shots, or Abe is a secret expert on property assessment.

He's there to stand in back with his arms folded with an air of casual violence while Kan negotiates terms.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Is there anything Abe isn't skilled at? The man apparently knows the prices of antique stamps.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Vermain posted:

Is there anything Abe isn't skilled at? The man apparently knows the prices of antique stamps.

Video games.

Edit: video games that aren't quiz games with questions about cars/motorcycles

Shock Trooper fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 11, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shock Trooper posted:

Video games.

Edit: video games that aren't quiz games with questions about cars/motorcycles

You are in for a treat with Super Puyo Puyo then. He still loses, but it's almost as good as

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Lifespan posted:

Despite it being on DS, it really doesn't need the touch screen or the ability to show both screens at once. No chance of it happening now, but I imagine porting it to WiiWare, PSN, Steam, and XBLA wouldn't be huge and could have made it an indie hit.

Come on, youre thinkin small! Wii U is practically made for "game on screen, magazine in hand" gameplay!

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: Poor season 13. What's left are a baseball episode, an hour long interview, and a not very popular game. All of those are not going to cause someone a headache.

Oh my god yesssssssss :swoon:

...Though Arino doesn't seem to be a "sports" kind of guy, so maybe that one doesn't turn out so great? I know there's plenty of people here who would be glad to help out on weird baseball terms/references/etc., though.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

SporkOfTruth posted:

I know there's plenty of people here who would be glad to help out on weird baseball terms/references/etc., though.

Please do :smith:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SporkOfTruth posted:

Oh my god yesssssssss :swoon:

...Though Arino doesn't seem to be a "sports" kind of guy

Yeah, Urakawa directed the episode but he didn't offer any help!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So is Abe literally The Stig's Japanese Cousin or something? Sure sounds like it the way this thread fawns over him :v:

(heh, top gear jokes. topical)

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Abe is Abe. He is a cool and powerful camera elemental.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Famibomb posted:

Yikes. SH Figuarts needs to get on making an Arino.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

zari-gani posted:

Was it either of these?

I think it was the one on the right. I remember it being less detailed though.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

So is Abe literally The Stig's Japanese Cousin or something? Sure sounds like it the way this thread fawns over him :v:

(heh, top gear jokes. topical)

If Corona used their "Most Interesting Man in the World" ad campaign in Japan, they'd hire Abe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Arino interacting with kids is always hilarious. This is such a good ep.

"Now that hes taught the children about harsh reality"