Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

zenintrude posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! Explain!

Early Wii homebrew required you to re-pin a GC memory card to an SD reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

A quick :google: search found this: http://ngc.scorpei.com/GUIDE-SD_adapter.html which is just a guide on how to solder Gamecube's pins to an SD reader. Crazy poo poo!

Also, the Gamecube 251-block cards were only 2MB in capacity, and $20 as of '06. Twenty bucks for two megs, at a time when you could get like a 512MB SD card for the same price, if I remember correctly. Bullcockney, and people complain about Vita cards being overpriced. (and they are still $17 on amazon today, drat playa get up all ins with da profits)

gay skull fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 18, 2013

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

ohnoitschris posted:

A quick :google: search found this: http://ngc.scorpei.com/GUIDE-SD_adapter.html which is just a guide on how to solder Gamecube's pins to an SD reader. Crazy poo poo!

http://dx.com/p/pega-sd-card-adapter-for-wii-wiikey-4980

This might work I guess? I have one of these kicking around.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

zenintrude posted:

Would this or this be an acceptable S-video switcher, or do I need to go all :retrogames: and get this?

If you are splitting to multiple sources, then you need the dist. amp. For a standard switch, either of the first two will work.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

ohnoitschris posted:

Also, the Gamecube 251-block cards were only 2MB in capacity, and $20 as of '06. Twenty bucks for two megs, at a time when you could get like a 512MB SD card for the same price, if I remember correctly. poo poo, and people complain about Vita cards being overpriced. (and they are still $17 on amazon today, what the gently caress are you doing nintendo stop it)

I have a few GCN memory cards but I'm gonna do this to my 251-block if it can take a 512MB and not freak out about the size of it.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Didn't they release a newer version of FF7 PC not too long ago? I seem to remember them rolling one out that had achievements. Is it still finicky?

By "Finicky", I meant "Requires a bunch of patches to even install or run, that can vary greatly depending on your OS, may still have things that don't work or crash, and good luck on it because you may run into mysterious problems on your box that nobody can help you with".

:shepicide:I stopped trying a year ago due to having more important things to do, but I still couldn't get it to play at all on my system. Between that and my early Mechwarrior problems, I suddenly realized how hard retro PC gamers have it.

Naturally, that remake is infinitely less finicky just by virtue of actually working since they had to make it function on modern machines, but I don't know the details.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Keyboard Kid posted:

If you are splitting to multiple sources, then you need the dist. amp. For a standard switch, either of the first two will work.

Cool, thanks... I was worried about signal noise/degradation, but I guess that's not too big an issue when sending to one source.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

zenintrude posted:

Cool, thanks... I was worried about signal noise/degradation, but I guess that's not too big an issue when sending to one source.

I had been wondering the same thing before, but it seems like it's not as much of a worry with S-Video as it is with SCART/composite switches since those two are inherently problematic interference-wise.

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012
I picked up an interesting piece of Mario history a few days ago at a Salvation Army for 99 cents. Again, 3DS camera isn't great, but...

It's a Mario puzzle! :toot: Oddly enough, it features Worlds A-1 and A-2, even though those were only in the Lost Levels and this puzzle was made in 1988.

As for Gamecube memory cards, I've got this 1019 one made by Interact that's kept the same saves for over 10 years. It came even before Nintendo's own 1019s! There's not only a space limit, but also a limit on the amount of saves, I ran into this in Tales of Symphonia because I saved on a different file every time. So, 512 MB seems like a bit of a waste.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

ultimateluigi987 posted:

I picked up an interesting piece of Mario history a few days ago at a Salvation Army for 99 cents. Again, 3DS camera isn't great, but...

It's a Mario puzzle! :toot: Oddly enough, it features Worlds A-1 and A-2, even though those were only in the Lost Levels and this puzzle was made in 1988.

As for Gamecube memory cards, I've got this 1019 one made by Interact that's kept the same saves for over 10 years. It came even before Nintendo's own 1019s! There's not only a space limit, but also a limit on the amount of saves, I ran into this in Tales of Symphonia because I saved on a different file every time. So, 512 MB seems like a bit of a waste.

It is genuinely impressive how there will always, always be another piece of ancient Nintendo merchandise that I never knew about. I'm sure by 2060 I'll still be seeing old Mario things that were sold in the 1980s that are new to me.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

h_double posted:

Electronic Arts was incredibly innovative when they started out in the 80s (Atari 800 / Apple II / Commodore 64 era). Archon and M.U.L.E. are particular standouts, plus Pinball Construction Set, Racing Destruction Set, Realm of Impossibility, Seven Cities of Gold, Starflight, Bard's Tale -- all games which either defied genre or majorly pushed the envelope.

Hell, look at Activision. They were the company founded by people that broke away from Atari because they wanted part of the money that was being made on their work, and actually wanted to get credit for the things they created. Hell, can you think of another game prior to Pitfall that actually flat out stated who was behind it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edison Carter posted:

Hell, look at Activision. They were the company founded by people that broke away from Atari because they wanted part of the money that was being made on their work, and actually wanted to get credit for the things they created. Hell, can you think of another game prior to Pitfall that actually flat out stated who was behind it?

Adventure. :smug:

Actually there were quite a few in computer gaming...

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

I didn't know Madden '08 got released for the GameCube... Now I kind of want a copy but not at $10...

The discount is applied in your cart.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

This is driving me crazy. I have my PS2 hooked up to an HDTV with component cables and all my PS1 games look like this:

Any idea what's going on here? PS2 games play fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Douche Bag posted:

This is driving me crazy. I have my PS2 hooked up to an HDTV with component cables and all my PS1 games look like this:

Any idea what's going on here? PS2 games play fine.

PS1 games can't output to component video. Best you can do is S-Video. (Which your PS2 component cable should have as well, and if not you can get one that does for reasonably cheap).

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Hey, do any of you still use a C64 regularly? I'm considering dropping a JiffyDOS ROM in my C64c but am a little worried about doing so even though the install procedure doesn't look very hard :aslol:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

PS1 games can't output to component video. Best you can do is S-Video. (Which your PS2 component cable should have as well, and if not you can get one that does for reasonably cheap).

wrong wrong wrong wrong

Your tv is to blame, it isn't handling 240p over component correctly (putting the 240 lines into the top half of the screen.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

wrong wrong wrong wrong

Your tv is to blame, it isn't handling 240p over component correctly (putting the 240 lines into the top half of the screen.

It is a cheap rear end Insignia. I think I have an old CRT tv laying around somewhere. Might have to hook it up to that.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Douche Bag posted:

It is a cheap rear end Insignia. I think I have an old CRT tv laying around somewhere. Might have to hook it up to that.

Since you're using component already you could always grab a HD Box Pro

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zenintrude posted:

Would this or this be an acceptable S-video switcher, or do I need to go all :retrogames: and get this?

These are all fine. I used to buy the cheap Pelican brand s-video switches all the time. For some reason, they don't typically mess with the picture quality like scart switches do.

ohnoitschris posted:

Also, the Gamecube 251-block cards were only 2MB in capacity, and $20 as of '06. Twenty bucks for two megs, at a time when you could get like a 512MB SD card for the same price, if I remember correctly. poo poo, and people complain about Vita cards being overpriced. (and they are still $17 on amazon today, what the gently caress are you doing nintendo stop it)

I think the 1024 Nintendo brand Gamecube cards were supposed to have a high failure rate for some reason. I am not sure why but I think those compressed the files and they'd get corrupted easily.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I think the 1024 Nintendo brand Gamecube cards were supposed to have a high failure rate for some reason. I am not sure why but I think those compressed the files and they'd get corrupted easily.

There was an issue of them corrupting if you plugged them into a Wii. If you only used them on the GC, then you were fine.

ohnoitschris posted:

It won't work. SD cards may be electrically compatible, but the GC won't recognize it. SD Cards on the GC are primarily used for homebrew purposes.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

ACID POLICE posted:

Since you're using component already you could always grab a HD Box Pro

I'm not at all familiar with those. How exactly does that work? I hook up my PS2 component cables into the back of it?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So I'm hooking my consoles up and I realize that I'm missing a Sega Saturn cable. Before I turn to the ebay and/or the shops, I was wondering if anyone had a spare one that they could happen to give away.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Douche Bag posted:

I'm not at all familiar with those. How exactly does that work? I hook up my PS2 component cables into the back of it?

The upscaler which is responsible for managing picture size in your TV is terrible and is loving up your image so you get a better upscaler to do it for you.

Yeah that's the basic idea of it. It's a basic upscaler that turns your low resolution picture into something that looks good on your HDTV because it properly converts it to 720p/1080p/whatever crazy poo poo you're trying to do. You put in component cables and you get VGA out, so if your TV doesn't have VGA you'd have to either find a different upscaler or get an adapter for that too.

e: Look what I got to go with my new C64 SD adapter :aaaaa: I got both for less than one usually goes for on eBay!

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 12, 2013

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
It's really something just how much 75% can be. Most all of the cool poo poo had been had on gamestop's site but I managed to get some decent games for virtually free:

All Star Baseball 2003 - Used $1.99
World Series of Poker $1.99
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King $4.99
Top Gun: Combat Zones - Used $4.99
MVP Baseball 2005 $1.99
NHL 2003 $0.99
NHL 2005 $2.99
Bionicle: The Game - Used $5.99
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 $1.99
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 $0.99 * 8 $7.92
WTA Tour Tennis $2.99
Army Men: RTS $9.99

Just a hair over $12! Next Christmas everyone is getting a copy of Tiger Woods golf randomly, who doesn't like golf games? I'm excited because I never heard of that Army Men game and with my recent infusion of GBA games my GC has been getting more play lately.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

ACID POLICE posted:

The upscaler which is responsible for managing picture size in your TV is terrible and is loving up your image so you get a better upscaler to do it for you.

Yeah that's the basic idea of it. It's a basic upscaler that turns your low resolution picture into something that looks good on your HDTV because it properly converts it to 720p/1080p/whatever crazy poo poo you're trying to do. You put in component cables and you get VGA out, so if your TV doesn't have VGA you'd have to either find a different upscaler or get an adapter for that too.
My TV does have VGA out so I'll give it a go. Looking at reviews on Amazon, it seems like it's a headache to install though.

Appreciate the help :)

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Tyson Tomko posted:

It's really something just how much 75% can be. Most all of the cool poo poo had been had on gamestop's site but I managed to get some decent games for virtually free:

All Star Baseball 2003 - Used $1.99
World Series of Poker $1.99
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King $4.99
Top Gun: Combat Zones - Used $4.99
MVP Baseball 2005 $1.99
NHL 2003 $0.99
NHL 2005 $2.99
Bionicle: The Game - Used $5.99
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 $1.99
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 $0.99 * 8 $7.92
WTA Tour Tennis $2.99
Army Men: RTS $9.99

Just a hair over $12! Next Christmas everyone is getting a copy of Tiger Woods golf randomly, who doesn't like golf games? I'm excited because I never heard of that Army Men game and with my recent infusion of GBA games my GC has been getting more play lately.

Yea, but they're all sports games. That isn't necessarily bad, but why would you want both nhl 2003 and 2005? Why not just 2005?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Please excuse the Instagram, but I just wanted to share my new acquisition... a strange Russian Play n' Watch style handheld called Autobahn (I think, anyway). Date on the back is 1989. I love it. It even has the little metal arm on the back for standing.

Wait no I finally found something I think it's called Autoslalom maybe, possibly by a company named Electronika... either way it's swell.

SUCCESS it is Autoslalom by Elektronika so now I actually know what batteries this son of a bitch takes. LR44 or SR44! :buddy:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 12, 2013

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

fatpat268 posted:

Yea, but they're all sports games. That isn't necessarily bad, but why would you want both nhl 2003 and 2005? Why not just 2005?

I got both versions of NHL because I've never played either one. Who knows if 2003 is better than 2005, but I will try them both out at some point. Most of these games can totally fit the background game to leave on all night deal when some of my non-gamer friends are around. I love all Golf games too. Also to be brutally honest sports games and movie themed games (Madagascar, Shrek 2) are all that were still available.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

ACID POLICE posted:

e: Look what I got to go with my new C64 SD adapter :aaaaa: I got both for less than one usually goes for on eBay!

Oh snap. You going to destroy Daley Thompson's Decathlon!

That styling is great with Russian text.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
Are there any goons or goon recommendations for folks who mod original game boy advance consoles with back-light screens? It's by far the most comfortable of all my gameboys and I'd play it a lot more if I didn't struggle with light angles. Any light you mount on top of it just takes away any comfort it had.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Please excuse the Instagram, but I just wanted to share my new acquisition... a strange Russian Play n' Watch style handheld called Autobahn (I think, anyway). Date on the back is 1989. I love it. It even has the little metal arm on the back for standing.

Wait no I finally found something I think it's called Autoslalom maybe, possibly by a company named Electronika... either way it's swell.

SUCCESS it is Autoslalom by Elektronika so now I actually know what batteries this son of a bitch takes. LR44 or SR44! :buddy:

Elektronika actually specialized in pirated Soviet versions of Game & Watch titles. What you have is not one of their Nintendo knock-offs but I suspect that it's still not original. The case, of course, is directly taken from the Game & Watch widescreen series. It's a very cool find.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

StellarX posted:

Are there any goons or goon recommendations for folks who mod original game boy advance consoles with back-light screens? It's by far the most comfortable of all my gameboys and I'd play it a lot more if I didn't struggle with light angles. Any light you mount on top of it just takes away any comfort it had.

I could certainly do it but the parts would come from china, since I don't have extra on hand.

Also, the cable and screen would come out to $50 alone before modding and installation.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I have to say, one of the most difficult things to collect for are older PC games that haven't had digital releases. I know this comes up a lot, but I'm having a hell of a time tracking something down right now. I'm poking around, looking for a copy of Metal Fatigue, but there are no copies currently on eBay (the last one sold about a month ago, CIB for $65), and the two Amazon sellers want over $100 each. I know there are a few online stores that specialize in older PC game software, but I can't remember any of them.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

You're probably thinking of Good Old Games, but they don't have it. What about something like Abandonware?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Random Stranger posted:

Elektronika actually specialized in pirated Soviet versions of Game & Watch titles. What you have is not one of their Nintendo knock-offs but I suspect that it's still not original. The case, of course, is directly taken from the Game & Watch widescreen series. It's a very cool find.

It was $18 shipped from Czechoslovakia :buddy:

Also thank you for providing slightly more information about Elektronika than I had before because I'm really just kind of in love with my Soviet Play n' Watch wannabe. :3:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I did pretty well at the Gamestop sale today. No component cables though...

Considering Baldurs Gate was the most expensive game by far at $2.99, not bad.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

I went to a very uninteresting looking yard sale and asked the lady if she had any old video games. She brings out an N64 with three first-party controllers, several memory carts, a RAM pack, and a bunch of games including a gold Ocarina of Time. I asked $20 to which she agreed, then took a closer look after bringing it home.

There's a not-for-resale Super Smash Bros, N-F-R Mario Kart 64 and N-F-R Mario Party 3.

I feel bad for pricing it so low now.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

ACID POLICE posted:

I did pretty well at the Gamestop sale today. No component cables though...

Considering Baldurs Gate was the most expensive game by far at $2.99, not bad.

No cases?

The only reason why I'd even bother at this point with Gamestop's sale, is to get some nicer looking cases, because some of the ones I have right now are pretty beat up from their previous owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

It was $18 shipped from Czechoslovakia :buddy:

Also thank you for providing slightly more information about Elektronika than I had before because I'm really just kind of in love with my Soviet Play n' Watch wannabe. :3:

Yeah, I had to do some research on Game & Watches last night so it was fresh in my memory.

From what I can tell Elektronika seemed to specialize in copies of the G&W widescreen series. That makes sense since it was the most popular line. They pirated Octopus and Chef directly along with a few other ones from Nintendo. If you want communist Octopus the title to look for is "Mysteries of the Ocean"...

• Locked thread