Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

fatpat268 posted:

No cases?

The only reason why I'd even bother at this point with Gamestop's sale, is to get some nicer looking cases, because some of the ones I have right now are pretty beat up from their previous owner.

I got cases for all of them but they were all generic :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACID POLICE posted:

I did pretty well at the Gamestop sale today. No component cables though...

Considering Baldurs Gate was the most expensive game by far at $2.99, not bad.

I remember looking forward to Custom Robo back when it was announced, and then the PAL release got cancelled :argh:. Oh and there's an easy way to break XGIII over your knee, gameplay-wise. Rear-fire Flamethrowers + Boosters at the same time = MACH SPEED. You'll outpace anything else on the track easily. I've never heard of Space Raiders though.

Wotalt posted:

I went to a very uninteresting looking yard sale and asked the lady if she had any old video games. She brings out an N64 with three first-party controllers, several memory carts, a RAM pack, and a bunch of games including a gold Ocarina of Time. I asked $20 to which she agreed, then took a closer look after bringing it home.

There's a not-for-resale Super Smash Bros, N-F-R Mario Kart 64 and N-F-R Mario Party 3.

I feel bad for pricing it so low now.

You should fire up LoZ and see if it's a v1.00. Play through and check the symbols on the big blocks, as well as the music in the Fire Temple.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I remember looking forward to Custom Robo back when it was announced, and then the PAL release got cancelled :argh:. Oh and there's an easy way to break XGIII over your knee, gameplay-wise. Rear-fire Flamethrowers + Boosters at the same time = MACH SPEED. You'll outpace anything else on the track easily. I've never heard of Space Raiders though.

You should fire up LoZ and see if it's a v1.00. Play through and check the symbols on the big blocks, as well as the music in the Fire Temple.

I haven't checked those specifically, but it has the bright N64 logo when booting which websites seem to indicate is exclusive to v1.0's.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ACID POLICE posted:

I did pretty well at the Gamestop sale today. No component cables though...

Considering Baldurs Gate was the most expensive game by far at $2.99, not bad.

Bottom row is solid... good work.

Right Brigade
Aug 11, 2007

ACID POLICE posted:

e: Look what I got to go with my new C64 SD adapter :aaaaa: I got both for less than one usually goes for on eBay!

I loved that Epyx joystick. I had one for my Atari 800XL, and it was so much better than using the horrible 2600 joysticks.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

StellarX posted:

Are there any goons or goon recommendations for folks who mod original game boy advance consoles with back-light screens? It's by far the most comfortable of all my gameboys and I'd play it a lot more if I didn't struggle with light angles. Any light you mount on top of it just takes away any comfort it had.

http://rosecoloredgaming.wordpress.com/

Hey, why are people paying oodles for the Gamecube Phantasy Star Online, plus oodles for the Broadband adapter; can't they just play the original XBox one? A console that is dirt cheap, easy to hack, and already has a broadband adapter built in?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 13, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
So for my Christmas present, the wife took the CRT I had bought, and combined it with our little garage that we rent for our apartment, some shelves she commissioned from a neighbor, the couches we didn't like in our apartment proper, and many blankets and rugs from Goodwill, to create

THE GAME CAVE!

This was phase 1. Phase 2 is underway. :ninja:

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Cicero posted:

So for my Christmas present, the wife took the CRT I had bought, and combined it with our little garage that we rent for our apartment, some shelves she commissioned from a neighbor, the couches we didn't like in our apartment proper, and many blankets and rugs from Goodwill, to create

THE GAME CAVE!

This here is the most awesome thing ever posted in this or the last thread.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Either that or his wife really hates video games in the house.

e: I'm going out to Portland, OR for a few days - where are the arcades/other spots I need to check out while I'm there?

VV it's still super cool/i'm not talking bad about it VV

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 13, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

ACID POLICE posted:

But at least she's nice about it.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

ACID POLICE posted:

e: Look what I got to go with my new C64 SD adapter :aaaaa: I got both for less than one usually goes for on eBay!

Care to share more info about the C64 SD adapter? Is it the Ultimate 1541 thing? I want one, but it's a little out of my budget.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I've read the past 15 or so pages of this thread and I can't find the resolution to the identity of that crazy looking arcade game someone found on Craigslist ... Was it resolved or are we still waiting for details?

vv it had a big circular screen, there was speculation it was some offshoot of the Pacman series vv

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 13, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
^^ which one? ^^

roffels posted:

Care to share more info about the C64 SD adapter? Is it the Ultimate 1541 thing? I want one, but it's a little out of my budget.

This is the one I got: http://store.go4retro.com/products/uIEC_SD.html

I got it with the daughterboard so I can just throw it right on the back. I am tempted to throw a JiffyDOS chip in my C64c though... it isn't here yet but I'll post pics and stuff when it is.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Wotalt posted:

I haven't checked those specifically, but it has the bright N64 logo when booting which websites seem to indicate is exclusive to v1.0's.

I had never heard of such a thing so I decided to look it up. It's quite fascinating.

http://zeldaspeedruns.com/oot/generalknowledge/version-differences

Looks like you can tell which version by looking for a number stamped on the back of the cart.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

petewhitley posted:

I've read the past 15 or so pages of this thread and I can't find the resolution to the identity of that crazy looking arcade game someone found on Craigslist

Probably 320x240

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Cicero posted:

THE GAME CAVE!

This was phase 1. Phase 2 is underway. :ninja:

This is awesome! You've even got the ballin "lean my rear end into this poo poo" brown cushion. The setup itself is also very efficient. You can have a shitload of people in floor alone then you've got the tons of couch/loveseat space. Phase 2 better involve a full size refrigerator and a pedestal fan.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
It's all about tower ionizing fans, though. Also I only see one TV in that room, that's also an issue

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tyson Tomko posted:

This is awesome! You've even got the ballin "lean my rear end into this poo poo" brown cushion.

Interestingly enough, that cushion is called a "husband" pillow :)

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

ACID POLICE posted:

e: I'm going out to Portland, OR for a few days - where are the arcades/other spots I need to check out while I'm there?

A decent arcade to check out is Ground Kontrol, has a very nice collection of pinball games.

If you're looking to buy some videogames, then keep an eye out for these places:

Videogame Wizards: Although technically on the outskirts of Portland this is an excellent place to waste hours looking through thousands of games, they're very good at getting rare and CIB stuff but the only downside is that it's very cramped in there.

Billy Galaxy: Although it's a vintage(over-priced)toy store, they have a neat little section of games mostly Nintendo and a lot of videogame collectible paraphernalia...just do not buy the NES Fist of The North Star CIB...because I saw it first dammnit! :mad:

CD.GameExchange: It's a chain store with about five locations and they have a varied selection from store to store. Kind of a gamble but they are cheap most of the time.

Guardian Games: It's focus is on card games and tabletop miniature games but there's a section of the store dedicated to games.

Lepecard fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 13, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

JJJJJS posted:

This here is the most awesome thing ever posted in this or the last thread.
Yup! :)

ACID POLICE posted:

She is ok with me playing any game with a pause button. Needless to say, she often does not appreciate it when I go grind out ladder games in Starcraft.

HKR posted:

But at least she's nice about it.
Ha. I showed these responses to my wife and she was pleased. :) She's proud of her work. Definitely one of the best presents I've ever gotten for Christmas, if not THE best. N64 back in '96 comes close though.

Tyson Tomko posted:

This is awesome! You've even got the ballin "lean my rear end into this poo poo" brown cushion. The setup itself is also very efficient. You can have a shitload of people in floor alone then you've got the tons of couch/loveseat space. Phase 2 better involve a full size refrigerator and a pedestal fan.
Unfortunately, power is such that I can run a limited number of appliances in there. There's actually two of the space heater you see in the picture, but last time the wife turned them both on, she knocked out power to...I'm not sure exactly, but at least to other garage units, maybe even the apartments above.

And yeah, it's quite efficient, and very cozy. I had someone over the other day to play SoulCal with, and she immediately remarked, "You've basically made a giant blanket fort." That's definitely what it feels like.

ACID POLICE posted:

It's all about tower ionizing fans, though. Also I only see one TV in that room, that's also an issue
Fixed that today! Picked up a 14" Toshiba CRT to complement the 27" Trinitron. I was surprised to learn that not only does the Toshiba have s-video (which is why I picked it out of the various craigslist listings), but it has a component input as well, despite not being HD. The picture quality on it looks great, although the audio may have an issue with a loud buzz, not sure if it's serious as it seems to fade after a while.

Right now the NES is hooked up to the 14" and the SNES + DC to the 27", but once I get the composite+s-video switcher next week, I'll be able to switch them to whatever combination I want, whenever I want! Now all I have to do is somehow acquire friends to game with!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Dear Persona 4: Don't give me a 1.5 hour dungeon with no save point, not let me escape from a boss battle, and then boot me to the main screen to load my last save if my party gets wiped out.

For an RPG made in 2008, how the hell can this be the way it does things? I just wasted 3 hours of playtime. :mad: JRPGs!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quidnose posted:

Dear Persona 4: Don't give me a 1.5 hour dungeon with no save point, not let me escape from a boss battle, and then boot me to the main screen to load my last save if my party gets wiped out.

For an RPG made in 2008, how the hell can this be the way it does things? I just wasted 3 hours of playtime. :mad: JRPGs!

You're not supposed to run the entire dungeon in one go. Use the Goho-M's and you can come back to the floor you left on another day. You can buy more at the little shop by the vending machines on the main street.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

ACID POLICE posted:

Wizards will set you up. They've got a ton of stuff on display and a whole lot more behind the counters in drawers if you ask. Full disclosure: I work with them often but they would be at the top of my list even if I didn't.

There's also Game Trader just outside of Portland in Beaverton.

Legendary Games is just over the bridge in Vancouver and is certainly worth checking out...especially since they just bought out 2 local stores so they have a ton of stock right now.

Game Shack has decent prices, some imports and is one of my regular rounds.

There's Stuff on 82nd which can be a crap shoot but they do have half off sales.

Oregon City has Strikers arcade and an awesome collectibles shop called Coin Corner & Hobbies.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Thanks for the Oregon suggestions guys! I'd love to go searching through those stores. Really looking forward to checking out all the arcades, though, because they're pretty much nonexistent out here in new england :( My friend who I'm staying with was thinking about getting a Dreamcast of his own so I have a good reason to drag him around...

Cicero posted:

Fixed that today! Picked up a 14" Toshiba CRT to complement the 27" Trinitron. I was surprised to learn that not only does the Toshiba have s-video (which is why I picked it out of the various craigslist listings), but it has a component input as well, despite not being HD. The picture quality on it looks great, although the audio may have an issue with a loud buzz, not sure if it's serious as it seems to fade after a while.

Excellent! My Wega (which is about as big as yours) has S-Video and Component but I really should get something smaller, like about that size.

I don't remember if I linked in this thread but I posted something about a sub-$20 stereo amplifier you can get on Amazon or eBay that sounds pretty great for the money (especially if you replace the main power cap and external PSU but you probably already have the kind of power supply you'd need lying around). The audio on my Wega is really muddy and tends to sound like it's echoing in a cave inside the TV. Grab some cheap/free beater speakers off CL and go wild blasting your consoles!

I mean only if you're trying to haul more gear into the new room... :D

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
So speaking of Wega's, I think I killed my 32 inch beast of one, or more specifically, somehow my Sega CD did. I bought a Sega CD awhile back that I couldnt get working, and tonight I decided to look into, after fiddling with it for awhile I was able to get it to bring up the BIOS menu, but nothing else, so I hit reset just to see what would happen. Well it then brought up the "Insert CD and press Start" prompt, but the tray never opened, so continuing my awesome troubleshooting process I hit start and...the Wega just fizzled out, and I immediately smelled burning electronics. Now the TV just gives me a two red light error, which as far as I can tell means its power supply exploded. I'm really bummed because now I have to do soemthing with this 250 lb monster which is in my basement, and also I need to find a new TV. I kind of don't want to grab another CRT just because I'd need at least a 32 inch, and I'm sure as hell not moving another TV that size into my basement, so I guess that means I bring my 46 inch LCD downstairs and go buy a new living room TV. This has the unintended side effect of making all of my older consoles looking like compelte dogshit, so yippee.

The only thing I can't figure out is how the hell the Sega CD would have caused this. It's just sending a video signal, so what the hell?

EDIT: SO I'm assuming to make anything look halfway decent I have to descend into the money pit that is the XRGB mini?

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 13, 2013

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're not supposed to run the entire dungeon in one go. Use the Goho-M's and you can come back to the floor you left on another day. You can buy more at the little shop by the vending machines on the main street.

Wouldn't it have been nice if they had told me this instead of my assuming I would have to run the entire dungeon again like the first time I went into it :mad:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quidnose posted:

Wouldn't it have been nice if they had told me this instead of my assuming I would have to run the entire dungeon again like the first time I went into it :mad:

They tell you as much when you rescue Chie. The tutorial and several of the characters outright say "we don't have to rush it all in one day, we can take our time"

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

JJJJJS posted:

Wizards will set you up. They've got a ton of stuff on display and a whole lot more behind the counters in drawers if you ask. Full disclosure: I work with them often but they would be at the top of my list even if I didn't.

Legendary Games is just over the bridge in Vancouver and is certainly worth checking out...especially since they just bought out 2 local stores so they have a ton of stock right now.

Game Shack has decent prices, some imports and is one of my regular rounds.

I haven't been to these two locations yet but I think I heard that Legendary Games were the ones who bought out all of Gamer's Edge stock so they'll definitely have rare stuff in.

Speaking of Gamer's Edge, I for one am glad they went out of business!

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

petewhitley posted:

I've read the past 15 or so pages of this thread and I can't find the resolution to the identity of that crazy looking arcade game someone found on Craigslist ... Was it resolved or are we still waiting for details?

vv it had a big circular screen, there was speculation it was some offshoot of the Pacman series vv

This one?

Still working on it. I'm going up at the end of this week and grabbing it. I know that's a LAI control panel overlay for certain, and the only other information I've gathered is that it's an 80's LAI built cabinet that was possibly built for Time Pilot and Gyruss. It's been bugging me this entire time not being able to go get it, but this week looks to be the week. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Also my woodgrain vinyl LAI cab that spontaneously decided not to work? Changing the wall socket plug out [since it was falling apart] and noticed a small screw in fuse holder. The fuse in it had obliterated. Marked as a 2A 250V, so threw a 2A car fuse in it and got a power up for half a second. Everything seems to still be working fine, so just need to get the proper rated fuse and I can play Makaimura again! This time with new joystick and buttons! Also waiting on new CP joystick bolts to arrive, then possibly grabbing a Blue Storm candy cab sit down for a bargain due to non working monitor, THEN finally putting away to buy my mini blast chamber and some glass beads. This will enable me to blast the CP and coin door to remove the rust and old lovely paint. Then I can go get them powdercoated and this bad boy will look better than ever. :v:

:retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
Funny story, modding your original Xbox shouldn't be a big deal anymore but it was for me. I just wanted to play Japanese games on my Xbox.

My computer is Windows 7 x64 and it refused to recognize an original Xbox memory card.

I went through a bunch of different experiments before realizing that there was no such thing as drivers for x64 win7 that would ever let me do anything with the memory card.

This meant I had to install Windows XP mode

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

and connect the memory card via USB to it after installing Action Replay (I used the Gameshark cable 'cause it does the same thing but it's a fraction of the price), then installed the Action Replay software inside the Virtual PC environment.

and ta da, it worked! Recognized it and everything. Then I started up Action Replay and there it was. So here's me running my copy of Metal Wolf Chaos on it, thanks to no region lock anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_SVILiRHwY

I really thought it would be easier than having to run VMware/Windows XP mode after several hours of experimenting but I guess no one really needs to mod their xboxes more than once/have done it a long time ago.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

H1KE posted:

This one?

Still working on it. I'm going up at the end of this week and grabbing it. I know that's a LAI control panel overlay for certain, and the only other information I've gathered is that it's an 80's LAI built cabinet that was possibly built for Time Pilot and Gyruss. It's been bugging me this entire time not being able to go get it, but this week looks to be the week. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Also my woodgrain vinyl LAI cab that spontaneously decided not to work? Changing the wall socket plug out [since it was falling apart] and noticed a small screw in fuse holder. The fuse in it had obliterated. Marked as a 2A 250V, so threw a 2A car fuse in it and got a power up for half a second. Everything seems to still be working fine, so just need to get the proper rated fuse and I can play Makaimura again! This time with new joystick and buttons! Also waiting on new CP joystick bolts to arrive, then possibly grabbing a Blue Storm candy cab sit down for a bargain due to non working monitor, THEN finally putting away to buy my mini blast chamber and some glass beads. This will enable me to blast the CP and coin door to remove the rust and old lovely paint. Then I can go get them powdercoated and this bad boy will look better than ever. :v:

:retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

Yeah! Awesome, glad you're still on it. Keep us posted and good luck. Whatever it turns out to be it looks bitchin'.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

sandpiper posted:

Funny story, modding your original Xbox shouldn't be a big deal anymore but it was for me. I just wanted to play Japanese games on my Xbox.

My computer is Windows 7 x64 and it refused to recognize an original Xbox memory card.

I went through a bunch of different experiments before realizing that there was no such thing as drivers for x64 win7 that would ever let me do anything with the memory card.

This meant I had to install Windows XP mode

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

and connect the memory card via USB to it after installing Action Replay (I used the Gameshark cable 'cause it does the same thing but it's a fraction of the price), then installed the Action Replay software inside the Virtual PC environment.

and ta da, it worked! Recognized it and everything. Then I started up Action Replay and there it was. So here's me running my copy of Metal Wolf Chaos on it, thanks to no region lock anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_SVILiRHwY

I really thought it would be easier than having to run VMware/Windows XP mode after several hours of experimenting but I guess no one really needs to mod their xboxes more than once/have done it a long time ago.

The Most. American. Game. Ever. :allears:
And we fail to get it. :negative:

So you're not using the translation patch?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RadicalR posted:

The Most. American. Game. Ever. :allears:
And we fail to get it. :negative:

So you're not using the translation patch?

Who needs a translation? If you're American the game speaks directly to your soul.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
SUPER SWEET REPRODUCTION CARTS

Thanks to China, it's really easy to reproduce those translated SNES games that never saw the light of day in America + weird fan hacks like Awful Fantasy. I'm not going to go into super detail about the process because I don't want to piss avid collectors off by telling people how to make counterfeit games such as this poor guy who bought Earthbound on ebay only to find it was fake - http://earthboundcentral.com/2012/03/counterfeit-earthbound-carts-exist/

So what will I tell? Well I'll give you some porn pics because I don't have my SFC yet (mint, gray and CIB from ebay for 100 suckaaa) which means I can't even test these drat things
First off, mask roms on SNES use a different pin out than a standard eeprom so we have to rewire accordingly

gently caress I FORGOT THE EXTENDED ADDRESS ADAPTER :argh:

Now the big test, do these pieces of gently caress work?

:quagmire:

I present to you the only physical copy of awful fantasy in existence!

There's a lot of stuff left out that you need to do to get a rom ready for an eeprom, but that was intentional. As for where this stands, the memory used on these adapters is complete garbage and programs like poo poo. Maybe 1 in 100 attempts at writing the eeprom will work because we're dealing with memory that's as old as the SNES. Along with this, these chips require very specific donor boards to work and don't play nicely with smaller games due to how SNES maps memory and addresses it. There are work-arounds to change the rom physically which will allow it to address properly but :effort:. I'm working on doing a pcb from the ground up using current memory and the superCIC instead of the nintendo CIC along with a custom-made MAD-1 ala retrocade's nes pcb. Reason being is I like reproductions, but I feel conflicted about doing this process above as they fit in standard snes cartridges. This new pcb will flat out not fit in a standard cartridge and require a custom cartridge as I feel the reproduction business is wrong in wanting to make 1:1 replicas of cartridges.

Sure, they're sweet and having a copy of SoM3 in english is pretty tits but let's be honest and realize that a lot of people use this same process to dupe people on eBay on expensive games.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

flyboi posted:

gently caress I FORGOT THE EXTENDED ADDRESS ADAPTER :argh:

You forgot to hook up the doll.

That is really loving amazing. When do we all get our copy of Earthbound?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I still want Super Demo World on a cartridge. I have such an inexplicable love for that hack.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Man, I really want to buy a programmer to make my own repros, but that is precisely the part that hangs me up the most. The whole process is generally confusing as hell (probably rightfully so, and no one really comes out and spells it out for idiots like me). I can do 95% of the process, soldering and desoldering and all that jazz, it's just the programming.

Although, at this point, I'd probably just get the chips preflashed from buyicnow, or I'll just buy a cheap willem and a parallel port card instead of the gq-4x.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Is there an idiot's guide to making repros anywhere? Or is it the kind of thing where it's too complicated to bother for anyone who wants an idiot's guide?

ACID POLICE posted:

I don't remember if I linked in this thread but I posted something about a sub-$20 stereo amplifier you can get on Amazon or eBay that sounds pretty great for the money (especially if you replace the main power cap and external PSU but you probably already have the kind of power supply you'd need lying around). The audio on my Wega is really muddy and tends to sound like it's echoing in a cave inside the TV. Grab some cheap/free beater speakers off CL and go wild blasting your consoles!
Funnily enough, if you look closely at the picture, you'll notice I've already hooked up some external PC speakers to the Trinitron. Although, the Sony's speakers are surprisingly decent; yeah the bass sucks but for old games it's not a huge dealbreaker. The Toshiba's speakers, on the other hand, are solidly mediocre. Not a huge surprise given the size of the TV, but I may have to get speakers for it too.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
There's no real way to have an "idiots guide" on how to make reproduction cartridges. Reason being is that ROMs are fairly complicated circuitry and cartridges for every system are completely different.

To give an example of just how crazy ROMs get, SNES has two types of ROMs - HIROM and LOROM which have 90ns latency and 120ns latency respectively.

Inside that, there's different SRAM configurations such as LOROM + 64kb SRAM or 16kb SRAM

Inside that, depending on when a cartridge was made chips just weren't large enough so for example while Super Metroid is a 24mbit game, the pcb for it has the rom split over 2 chips with the first 16mbit on one chip and the last 8mbit on another. The MAD-1 is then wired up to address the memory properly.

If you want to get really crazy, NES is about impossible to reproduce unless the game was made by Nintendo. Reason being is that Nintendo has mappers that hooked up memory chips differently and allows banking in any fashion a developer desires. Because of this there are ~200 different mapper configurations for Nintendo and to make a rom "work" with a different one requires quite a bit of assembly knowledge.

On top of this there are CICs used for security that get more complex as time goes on, for example N64 has 5 different boot CICs and you have to really gently caress around with a rom to get it to boot with a different CIC along with SRAM and flash ram for saving.

In short, unless you're really into console security and know what the gently caress you're doing, DON'T NOT ATTEMPT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

flyboi posted:

In short, unless you're really into console security and know what the gently caress you're doing, DON'T NOT ATTEMPT
Don't not attempt? Alright, I'll get right on it! :downs:

Yeah it sounds like it should stay away until I have lots more free time.

• Locked thread