Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is Apple Maps that terrible? It's worked well for me so far. Quite a lot of apple maps memes out there. I got google maps but haven't used it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Map generally seems fine where I am, plus I never used transit/walking directions before so missing those didn't matter to me. Only thing I really miss is street view so that's what I use Google Maps for now, or double checking directions for places I'm not sure about.

POI data and search is all over the place though. If your search query isn't what it expects for what you're looking for, you might not get what you want (if it's in their database in the first place). On the other hand Google would return what you want, plus usually a bunch of other poo poo you don't. It's like how they return results is on opposite sides of the spectrum.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple maps is generally fine. The search function is all it does poorly, but I get around that by using Siri which seems to work significantly better.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maps has been working great for me since it came out. Better turn by turn then Google for me. Then again, I do live in the Bay Area so it's expected.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maps seems okay in Philly. I installed Google maps however because sometimes I take a trolley and I can never heard the street names on their speakers, google maps actually shows he trolley line / station names whereas Apple maps does not.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
What's a good app for tracking car repairs and service? Just had a $600 bill today. :smith:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

PaganGoatPants posted:

What's a good app for tracking car repairs and service? Just had a $600 bill today. :smith:

I use gas cubby. Nice clean interface, never lost data through restores. Kinda wish it had gas mileage charts but oh well.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I use gas cubby. Nice clean interface, never lost data through restores. Kinda wish it had gas mileage charts but oh well.

Turn it landscape to see mileage chart.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Christoff posted:

Is Apple Maps that terrible? It's worked well for me so far. Quite a lot of apple maps memes out there. I got google maps but haven't used it yet.

The main thing I like about Apple Maps is how fast it loads- seems to be much quicker than Gmaps.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I had my first navigation error yesterday with apple maps. Turn by turn directions somewhere and there was some traffic so I was going to cut over to a parallel road to the one they told me to take, as soon as I made the turn onto the orthogonal road it announced that I had arrived and shut off. (I was 2 miles away.) Haven't seen gmaps ever do that.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
As soon as I got apple maps I wanted to go to some pub in some suburb up north and it sent me about 5k away to some newly developed suburb instead where I couldn't get reception off my already terrible carrier. Never used it again.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Honestly, it works as well as any GPS for me. You really need to learn how to navigate the last mile yourself if you want accurate results. Also, make sure you know where you're going ahead of time. I always look up and double check the address with Google. If it's off I'll enter the actual address into Apple Maps.

There's this one doctor's office I go to that Apple's Maps thinks is a mile down the road on the left from where it actually is. Google Maps just makes you do an endless loop of U-turns in the 1/4 stretch of where it is. By knowing the address of the building, I can actually look at the building numbers to find it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

Honestly, it works as well as any GPS for me. You really need to learn how to navigate the last mile yourself if you want accurate results.

No decent standalone GPS system asks you to do this.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
My experience in (in Western Europe) is that the navigation works fine if I have a specific address of where I want to go. The POI search ranges from acceptable to awful.

While in Andorra, Apple Maps told me the closest restaurant was in Barcelona, several hundred kilometers away.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

No decent standalone GPS system asks you to do this.

The POI system in most stand alone GPS units are limited and have questionable accuracy. So in most cases you have to know and manually enter your address anyway. Every GPS I've ever used has been fairly inaccurate on the last mile as well; telling me the target is further down the street or on the opposite side of the road from where it really is.

You need to be observant as you approach your final destination, look for house/building numbers and your address to determine if it's going to be on the left or right side of the road. This will make any GPS experience a lot more accurate.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

The POI system in most stand alone GPS units are limited and have questionable accuracy. So in most cases you have to know and manually enter your address anyway. Every GPS I've ever used has been fairly inaccurate on the last mile as well; telling me the target is further down the street or on the opposite side of the road from where it really is.

You need to be observant as you approach your final destination, look for house/building numbers and your address to determine if it's going to be on the left or right side of the road. This will make any GPS experience a lot more accurate.

I don't know what kind of lovely GPS are you using but I have an old Garmin unit and its been accurate 100% of the times I've used it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody know of a lot of apps that use geofencing? It seems like a great feature that could reduce data usage and have your apps update before you open them. I'd love to have the ability to update Instagram, Reeder, Tweetbot, and Dropbox's Camera Backup when I arrive at home/work and automatically connect via wifi.

That's one of the coolest features with Downcast - every day when I leave home for work and arrive at work, it automatically searches for new podcasts and downloads them over wifi.

I really hope geofencing takes off and more apps implement it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

El Hefe posted:

I don't know what kind of lovely GPS are you using but I have an old Garmin unit and its been accurate 100% of the times I've used it.

Yeah I haven't had any GPS problems within the last mile in relatively populated areas in the US.

editor
Feb 4, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Does anybody know of a lot of apps that use geofencing?

Instapaper supports geofencing and uses it to trigger article syncing.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

El Hefe posted:

A few different Garmin models. All of them had problems figuring out which side of the street some addresses were on. Keep in mind, I'm not saying it was a constant problem. I'd say it's generally only an issue about 25% of the time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've had google send me to the middle of a suburb when I was telling it to take me to a store before, so it's not just Apple Maps that has this issue. I noticed poo poo like that on the two apps about equally, and usually for the same locations, as Apple Maps tried to send me to the same suburb instead of that store too.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
Ironically I am having a lot of trouble with the SA "Awful" app. I started dl like a week ago when I got my pad and then there was an update immediately after, so I hit update and it has been frozen ever since. I can't see a way to force quit the update in Apps. Suggestions?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Do you have version 1.9.2 by Nolan Waite?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Interstitial Abs posted:

Ironically I am having a lot of trouble with the SA "Awful" app. I started dl like a week ago when I got my pad and then there was an update immediately after, so I hit update and it has been frozen ever since. I can't see a way to force quit the update in Apps. Suggestions?

I hear there's a thread to make all your dreams come true.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You can't force quit the App Store?! That would do it IMHO.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

You can't force quit the App Store?! That would do it IMHO.

That or just power off and power back on. Should kill just about everything.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Can someone recommend me a good (free) IRC client? I don't need anything fancy.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Want to thank the dude who recommended downcast for podcasts. Had been using Podcaster for a long while but the support was awful and was heavily bogged down in later versions. Downcast works great, even on my [relatively] old ipod Touch.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Christoff posted:

I think Apple Maps is decent. It doesn't show traffic very well. At least not as well as Google Maps does. That's my main reason for using Maps, checking out how lovely my drive home will be.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

trilljester posted:

That's my main reason for using Maps, checking out how lovely my drive home will be.

The drive isn't lovely because of the traffic.... it's you.. you're the piece of poo poo you can't stand being around

To be fair, I guess that's why you want the fastest drive home v:)v

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Throwing in a recommendation for wifi2hifi, which basically lets your ios act like an airplay receiver, so I can stream audio from my computer wirelessly to my spare ipod touch (which I've hooked up to speakers). There quality is pretty good, but the tradeoff is that there's a three second delay, and you need to install a background app on your mac/pc to stream audio. It's a pretty niche use, but it's great when I'm using my laptop in bed and want better sound than the internal speakers.

Along that line, is there a "dock" app that doesn't look like rear end? Something that displays the time and maybe the weather when I have the ipod docked? The closest thing seems to be dockstudio by Philips, but it's really unpolished.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

rawrr posted:

Throwing in a recommendation for wifi2hifi, which basically lets your ios act like an airplay receiver, so I can stream audio from my computer wirelessly to my spare ipod touch (which I've hooked up to speakers). There quality is pretty good, but the tradeoff is that there's a three second delay, and you need to install a background app on your mac/pc to stream audio. It's a pretty niche use, but it's great when I'm using my laptop in bed and want better sound than the internal speakers.
What does that app do that the built-in home streaming not do? http://www.148apps.com/news/itunes-home-sharing-stream-music-video/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

randyest posted:

What does that app do that the built-in home streaming not do? http://www.148apps.com/news/itunes-home-sharing-stream-music-video/
I was thinking the same thing, but I guess this:

quote:

It's a pretty niche use, but it's great when I'm using my laptop in bed and want better sound than the internal speakers.
He's using the iOS device as a remote one (relative to the user) rather than iTunes sharing or whatever else where the iOS device is local streaming from a remote device. I guess the main difference is where the control lies, he's using his computer vs the usual use case where you'd be using the iOS device.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

rawrr posted:

Along that line, is there a "dock" app that doesn't look like rear end? Something that displays the time and maybe the weather when I have the ipod docked?

Weather Live is great and looks fantastic. There's a free version as well I think although I'm not sure what limits it has in place.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My wife is going to be running in her first half marathon at the end of next month, and we're trying to find a free app that will let me track her. It's the Disney Princess Half Marathon, so I'd like to know where she is, so that I can be in place to take some pictures and cheer her on.

We've looked into using Find My iPhone, but it requires either a data plan or WiFi. We both have an iPod 4, so the data plan option is out, and she'll be too busy running to connect it to the WiFi at Disney.

We also look into Google Latitude, but it's not very accurate. We both checked in in our living room, and it puts her as a block down the street.

Any suggestions?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

We both have an iPod 4, so the data plan option is out, and she'll be too busy running to connect it to the WiFi at Disney.
Well then there's no way for the iPod to transmit location data. Find My Friends is ideal for this situation, but you'd want an iPhone.

Kheldarn posted:

We also look into Google Latitude, but it's not very accurate. We both checked in in our living room, and it puts her as a block down the street.
There's no GPS in an iPod Touch, so its CoreLocation data is never going to be spectacular.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Well then there's no way for the iPod to transmit location data. Find My Friends is ideal for this situation, but you'd want an iPhone.

There's no GPS in an iPod Touch, so its CoreLocation data is never going to be spectacular.

Also, if the purpose is for Kheldarn to know where his wife is you would still need a data connection of some kind to relay that information.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

japtor posted:

I was thinking the same thing, but I guess this:

He's using the iOS device as a remote one (relative to the user) rather than iTunes sharing or whatever else where the iOS device is local streaming from a remote device. I guess the main difference is where the control lies, he's using his computer vs the usual use case where you'd be using the iOS device.

Controlling it from my computer is a big thing, and there's also much more flexibility in what I can stream - it streams all the system sounds, so I can listen to online streams or watch movies (just have to set a 3 second delay in VLC). Again, it's basically like Airplay.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Weather Live is great and looks fantastic. There's a free version as well I think although I'm not sure what limits it has in place.

Thanks, this is pretty close to what I'm looking for - wish they made the font bigger though. I guess I'll have a look at weather apps, since I had no idea what search term to use; "dock" didn't give many promising results.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Ah. I went and looked, and it seems that the Location Services that our iPods have just uses WiFi hotspots for determining approximate location. Well durn. Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Most of the ipad weather apps look like poo poo. The one or two that look nice enough without a giant stupid digital clock in the middle will lack the good rain graph or radar that another one has.

• Locked thread