Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think Fatgami's likability has increased because he feels more human. He has things he visibly enjoys now, even if it is food, and it makes him relatable, because while not everyone knows what it's like playing the stock market, everyone has a food that they could just pig out on if given the opportunity. In my case it's cake :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

:japan: note: That shrine the Monobear doll goes on looks very much like the shrine Japanese girls [more likely their parents] set up for Girls' Day (Hina-Matsuri).

I'm really hoping for Monobear in an emperor's costume.

e: Of course you can get Hello Kitty hinamatsuri.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 16, 2013

Show Me
Jan 6, 2013
It would be too obvious for Giant Pigtailed Crazy Girl (which is what I call Hiyoko) to be controlling Monobear and thus be the new mastermind.

My money is on Odd Speech Pretty Princess (what I call Sonia).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
I suppose Monobear doesn't want to take any chances with the students gaining access to forbidden areas this time. Guarding the gates which are locked anyways does not sound unreasonable when you have super-talented swordsmen and athletes on the campus.

That, and there's currently nothing else to use those giant robots for, anyways.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I finally realized who Mahiru reminds me of. She's a ginger Chie Satonaka. That makes 2 Persona 4 characters :tinfoil:

Also "bullets cannot pierce spirit" god drat it game I like this cast too much.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Show Me posted:

It would be too obvious for Giant Pigtailed Crazy Girl (which is what I call Hiyoko) to be controlling Monobear and thus be the new mastermind.

My money is on Odd Speech Pretty Princess (what I call Sonia).

Maybe there is no mastermind. Maybe enough time has passed that Monobear, like Alter-Ego, has become self-aware. It only seems fitting that the sequel would have you figuratively spin the chair around, only to find it empty.

Or a bomb in it.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Wowsers!

To be honest, seeing Monobear say "Uh" in his speech and not (yet) being as verbose as Junko was seems to hint that there IS someone different working the controls. That someone could be one of the students, someone we haven't met yet or had clues dropped about yet, or it could be a true A.I. this time. I can't speculate on any clues other than that, but the game seems to be doing this subtle nod that this isn't the *exact* same MB but they are being controlled.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

Miss Kalle posted:

and what other outfits they'll have Monobear wear.

If I had to guess: Monobear, Ju-Do, Basketball, Football, Valetudo, X-Treme, Seven, Wrestling, Cheerleader, Mascot, Manager, and Astronaut.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hiyoko reads just like the Iris that SpiritArmor writes/wrote/who even knows anymore in the Sakura Wars thread, minus the Lovecraftian undertones. She's such a (terrifying) jerk she's actually growing on me. Hanamura making the educated guess and shaking Peko's aloofness was cool too, I hope his lecherous rear end lasts a bit longer.

Show Me
Jan 6, 2013

Anoia posted:

Maybe there is no mastermind. Maybe enough time has passed that Monobear, like Alter-Ego, has become self-aware. It only seems fitting that the sequel would have you figuratively spin the chair around, only to find it empty.

Or a bomb in it.

I like the way you think.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Dias posted:

Hiyoko reads just like the Iris that SpiritArmor writes/wrote/who even knows anymore in the Sakura Wars thread, minus the Lovecraftian undertones. She's such a (terrifying) jerk she's actually growing on me.
Being that she's a short, cute, marketable violent sociopath with a pair of long appendages on top of her head, Hiyoko reminds me a lot of a certain freelance policerabbit. Most of the things she does that disturb the rest of the thread, just make me think, "You crack me up, little buddy."

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I seriously can't stop laughing at this sprite. I like this chick!

Yeah, she has her knockers, but I think she's all right.

Gaulems
Jan 3, 2013

i wish i knew who changed my avatar so i could marry them

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I seriously can't stop laughing at this sprite. I like this chick!

She looks like a chipmunk! Owari has a lot of interesting sprites. Someone had all the sprites ripped on tumblr, but alas, I cannot find them.

This cast is a great one so far. :') Nidai is perfect, too.

Gaulems fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 16, 2013

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It seems I'm the only one so far who's completely unimpressed by Hiyoko. She's been utterly one-note so far: "Cute! But is actually dangerously creepy and unsettling?!" The joke wore thin the very first time she did it, and she's still doing it. The "snark poses" don't help either, they just hammer home an already blindingly obvious personality.

I hope she dies first - I can't see any real way she'd contribute to the story other than being an irritating red herring. At least the other one-note characters are amusing and don't grate on you.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Gaulems posted:

She looks like a chipmunk! Owari has a lot of interesting sprites. Someone had all the sprites ripped on tumblr, but alas, I cannot find them.

This cast is a great one so far. :') Nidai is perfect, too.

I'd be worried some sprites might contain spoilers myself. I'm refusing to look for anything Dangan Ronpa related on tumblr and started blocking any and all Dangan Ronpa stuff when people I follow started to get into it.

I can't help but think that particular Owari sprite is yet another thing about her meant to evoke Aoi (and her thing for gorging on donuts).

:goleft:

This room is pretty obviously the analogue to the cafeteria from the first game (with the notable difference of apparently never being off-limits) so I'm going to expect that we're going to be seeing a lot of it going forwards.

Brannock posted:

It seems I'm the only one so far who's completely unimpressed by Hiyoko. She's been utterly one-note so far: "Cute! But is actually dangerously creepy and unsettling?!" The joke wore thin the very first time she did it, and she's still doing it. The "snark poses" don't help either, they just hammer home an already blindingly obvious personality.

I hope she dies first - I can't see any real way she'd contribute to the story other than being an irritating red herring. At least the other one-note characters are amusing and don't grate on you.

She's not my favourite, but the way Dangan Ronpa 1 was written, we're still probably going to have to give it plenty of time and one-on-one opportunities with each character (story-related or otherwise) to really see what a lot of them are really about.

Personally, I'm wondering whether a "Free Time" type moment where we get to pick to hang out with another character is coming soon.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

Being an rear end in a top hat also gives you immunity.

Celes died.
Yamada died.
Maizono died.
Corpse Warblade died.
All rear end holes.
All competent (Yamada, debatably so)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Brannock posted:

I think a lot of people find her entertaining for similar reasons why Nidai is entertaining. She's out of this world and silly, only instead of shouting motivational lines she goes around acting like an obvious suspect. It reminds me a little of Celes in that regard, only she's not as eloquent or refined. Fact is that there are some characters that will definitely not end up contributing anything other than acting as the clueless spectators that the protagonist must convince. It happens all the time in games like this and happened even in the first Dangan Ronpa. We're still early in the game, so there's no telling how one-note some characters are.

But I do agree that Hiyoko is just a blatant red herring. Like how we found out Fukawa had a serial killer personality and in the end she never murdered anyone and only attempted when she thought Sakura was going to kill her. But the game could throw us for a loop and make the obvious killer the killer. Celes from the get-go seemed like someone who would be ok with murder and the expectations for that came true halfway into the game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Gensuki posted:

Celes died.
Yamada died.
Maizono died.
Corpse Warblade died.
All rear end holes.

I dispute all of those except Celes.

Maizono is the most morally grey of all of these. She all but stated that she's got a firm grasp on manipulation and it's implied that she had to do some somewhat unsavoury things to get ahead in the idol business... but my read on her is that she did nothing that she's not proud of or is ashamed of, and that she knew the score and made her choices wrt all of that. Her actions in the game were motivated mostly by blind panic - she decided to manipulate Naegi not out of any particular maliciousness but because that was what she knew how to do. The other part of her plan - the one that involved actually killing someone - didn't go so well. And, them, once everything blew up in her face and she lay dying in the shower room, her last action was to name her killer - something she did not have to do, but did nevertheless.

Yamada is a bit unbearable, and not possessed of great judgement, but ultimately was well-intentioned. He had his hobby and his craft, he was clearly passionate about it, he knew his poo poo, and he put all his heart into everything he did (see: Justice Robo). Sadly, he died before he got a chance to actually definitively show us any of this, because the one actual rear end in a top hat on this list decided to turn all of his various attributes against themselves. Yamada is at worst a moron.

We don't actually know a drat thing about Mukuro Ikusaba other than what she said or let slip when masquerading as Junko. And even then, we don't know what her game was, or what she knew, or the extent of her involvement in SHSL Despair, or even whether she was actually antagonistic to the group. One thing's for sure: she sure didn't expect Junko to decide to kill her. What else wouldn't she have expected?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gensuki posted:

Celes died.
Yamada died.
Maizono died.
Corpse Warblade died.
All rear end holes.

Edit:Never mind I was beaten to it by Fedule who did a much better job.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Fedule posted:

he put all his heart into everything he did (see: Justice Robo)

I thought they made a point of how badly constructed the Justice Robo does? Also man, that guy sucked at murder plans.

Other than that, sure.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

The only part of Justice Robo that can be called "badly constructed" was how hard it was to move in it, which was intentional so that Yamada could hold up Hagakure while the latter was in it. The fact that the costume was a Justice Robo of all things also counts I guess, but Celes didn't object to it for some reason so she's at fault there too.

And Celes was the one that came up with the plan. Yamada did his part to the letter.

edit: Why am I defending Yamada killing my favorite character, what the hell.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 17, 2013

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

CandyCrazy posted:

The fact that the costume was a Justice Robo of all things also counts I guess, but Celes didn't object to it for some reason so she's at fault there too.

I imagine that she didn't want to risk antagonizing Yamada over the costume design - the longer things went on, the more likely he would catch on, have second thoughts, or give the plan away by mistake.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I forget the exact line, but I believe Yamada was handed a spec that said something like "design a costume that will mask one's appearance and hold them in a pose", and by god he delivered on the spec. Then he was told to do some things, which he then did.

And after the fact, when he finally got clued in to what Celes was up to (read: as she killed him), he had the spectacular good graces to not immediately die but instead hold on and at least try to name his killer with his last breath. And even that he did in a spectacularly anime fashion.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fedule posted:

Maizono is the most morally grey of all of these. She all but stated that she's got a firm grasp on manipulation and it's implied that she had to do some somewhat unsavoury things to get ahead in the idol business... but my read on her is that she did nothing that she's not proud of or is ashamed of, and that she knew the score and made her choices wrt all of that. Her actions in the game were motivated mostly by blind panic - she decided to manipulate Naegi not out of any particular maliciousness but because that was what she knew how to do. The other part of her plan - the one that involved actually killing someone - didn't go so well. And, them, once everything blew up in her face and she lay dying in the shower room, her last action was to name her killer - something she did not have to do, but did nevertheless.

I agree with all of this except the bolded part. During that initial time spent with Naegi before she was killed, Maizono intimated that she'd had to do some unsavory things that she wasn't proud of in order to keep her and her group popular. Yes, she still did them, because she was willing to do what it took to ensure that her group succeeded, but she did seem a bit ashamed that she'd been forced to "play the game" as it were. A big part of her whole "I HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE RIGHT NOW" panic attack was basically her realizing that if what she saw in her video was true, then all the unsavory things she'd had to do up to that point would have ultimately been for naught.

As for the Justice Robo costume, the only reasons it could be construed as being "poorly constructed" is the inability of the person wearing it to get in and out of it unassisted, and the lack of waist articulation, both of which were necessary for Celes's plan to work.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Fedule posted:

I dispute all of those except Celes.

Fair enough.
Maizono, I would say is at least as grey as Togami though, which seemed to be the metric of the person I quoted.
Yamada...I will drop charges down to moron.
Mukuro based solely on her on screen actions is clear, but if Junko was being honest (for all her crazy, there's not much we can disprove, hence "hope") she 'knew' about some plans and then didn't warn anyone. So yeah, maybe not an rear end in a top hat.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012

orenronen posted:

Kyahaha! He looks tough but he's really a scaredy-cat!

I wonder if he's gonna be alright... People who act like that often turn out to be the first victims, you know?

When all the new characters first showed up, I was a little worried because they threw in a token underage-looking girl and anime tells me that no good can come of that. But the fact that she's a budding little psychopath who tortures animals and trolls the gently caress out of terrified people is quickly making her one of my favorites.

I am sorry I ever doubted you, Dangan Ronpa.

Kringlorr
Oct 8, 2012

Why are you doing that?

Rogue Lemon posted:

When all the new characters first showed up, I was a little worried because they threw in a token underage-looking girl and anime tells me that no good can come of that. But the fact that she's a budding little psychopath who tortures animals and trolls the gently caress out of terrified people is quickly making her one of my favorites.

I am sorry I ever doubted you, Dangan Ronpa.
She's like a less creepy stalker version of Syo.

orenronen posted:

A truly strong person... also knows how to keep quiet.

I think Gundam might give Togami a run for his money in terms of smugness.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Fedule posted:

We don't actually know a drat thing about Mukuro Ikusaba other than what she said or let slip when masquerading as Junko. And even then, we don't know what her game was, or what she knew, or the extent of her involvement in SHSL Despair, or even whether she was actually antagonistic to the group. One thing's for sure: she sure didn't expect Junko to decide to kill her. What else wouldn't she have expected?

She also spoke pretty confidently that at least most of them were going to get out, not to mention the conversation with Naegi about how she wanted to try new things (read: stop being a soldier). My read on Mukuro is that she was /just about/ to turn over a new leaf and settle down in a nice, less shooting-people kind of thing, and was pretty much duped by Junko into coming along for the express purpose of being killed so that she could 'feel the despair' of murdering her own sibling.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I am reluctant to add translation talk to this thread, but I have one final thing I want to point out, to help perhaps ease the minds of those who are still troubled by a less literal translation.

This line, from Nidai, has been constantly praised both in this thread and elsewhere on the net:

BULLETS CANNOT PIERCE SPIRIT!

Here's the original line, along with linguistic word gloss and literal translation (if you do not recall, it follows Mikan reminding everyone that the Monobeasts are equipped with heavy firearms):

pre:
気合いでなんとかするんじゃああああっ!!
Kiai             de  nantoka  suru       n           jaaaaa!!
Fighting-spirit with something do (explanatory nom.) (copula)
"(I/We) (will do something/will be able to handle it somehow) by using fighting spirit!!"
My first attempt at translation, before I handed the first draft to Fedule, was "WITH ENOUGH SPIRIT, WE CAN DO ANYTHIIIIIING!!". Fedule went through two versions, first - "FIREARMS ARE NOTHING WHEN YOU'VE GOT SPIRIT!", and then the final version you can see above.

There are a few things to note:
1. Japanese represents screaming very well by duplicating vowels, often in sentence-final particles and words. This can work in English too, but it often doesn't work nearly as well. Using capitals for much of Nidai's speech was an early decision of mine, and this decision is reflected in other characters too - trying to duplicate the little speech deformations most of the characters have is futile in English, which has a very different phonological and intonation system. You have to resort to other ways to get meaning behind them across.
2. Using a super-direct translation is so stilted it's not even funny. What works in one language is a complete failure in another.
3. My original translation, which isn't super-literal but more so than what we ended up with, is passable but still a little stilted. It also lacks the punch which the bluntness of the original carries.
4. The final version does not have the same literal meaning as the original. It does have its, um, spirit. It's also true to the character, and produces the same reaction in readers as the original did.

And that's what 95% of the changes Fedule (and sometimes I myself) make do. Honestly, what Fedule does most of the time is fix grammar, rearrange the words in my script or replace a word with a synonym that flows better. We do the kind of change you see above when we think the result is much weaker without them (for some characters, like Gundam and Sonia, that means most of the time). When we do - rest assured I go over it with a fine-tooth comb to make sure no important detail was lost or added.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

orenronen posted:

translation talk

You guys are doing a spectacular job. Even though this type of translation isn't for everybody, yours is definitely more to my tastes and much more accessible. Literal translations are nice too and I personally am interested in the differences and how a certain joke or line went in the original and the process of making something like that work in English, but obviously a literal translation would be kind of dry to some. Nidai's line in the original is just fine, but yours adds a lot more character.

A+ stuff guys.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
I can understand if you don't want to talk about the specifics of the translation in the thread very much, but I really do appreciate what you have mentioned so far. Like EdgeryWorthy, it's incredibly interesting to me to see both sides of the story and see how they relate or change between cultures to get the same feeling without transliterating the meaning.

On an only semi-related note, do you check the general Dangan Ronpa thread much anymore, oren? I guess there isn't much use for it until this LP is also over, but I had a few questions and didn't know where else to ask them.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fedule posted:

And, them, once everything blew up in her face and she lay dying in the shower room, her last action was to name her killer - something she did not have to do, but did nevertheless.
Was she supposed to stick to the Omerta? Make a Simpsons quote? I could agree with some of your points, but naming your killer isn't exactly a selfless act.

In other news, I still have no idea what Hiyoko's "creepy" pose is supposed to convey. I can match it with neither real life expressions nor stock anime poses.

SOL_Cambot
Oct 9, 2012

Xander77 posted:

In other news, I still have no idea what Hiyoko's "creepy" pose is supposed to convey. I can match it with neither real life expressions nor stock anime poses.

I think it's supposed to be a "1000 yard stare" kinda thing. To me it kind of looks like Celes' expression when she was being intimidating/scary

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

SOL_Cambot posted:

I think it's supposed to be a "1000 yard stare" kinda thing. To me it kind of looks like Celes' expression when she was being intimidating/scary

That's it! I've been wondering what specifically about Hiyoko's been bothering me (I posted about it a page or so ago). Her "creepy" poses come off as her trying to be scary, instead of her dropping her cutesy mannerisms and going sociopath on us.

I think it's the open mouth - without that, it would come across as her face going blank and unsettling. With it open, it looks like her trying to intimidate someone and that doesn't really mesh with what her character is supposed to be, I think.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

Akane really loves her "doughnuts" doesn't she?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Remind me - what does it mean when someone doesn't use honorifics? I think Togami didn't use them in DR1, something about how he considered himself above everyone else? They've been left off in a few instances so far by various people, but most notably, Hinata hasn't used them at all.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 17, 2013

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Remind me - what does it mean when someone doesn't use honorifics? I think Togami didn't use them in DR1, something about how he considered himself above everyone else? They've been left off in a few instances so far by various people, but most notably, Hinata hasn't use them at all.

From the first thread:

orenronen posted:

In Japan, you usually add them to a person’s name when speaking to them or about them. Not using an honorific at all is reserved to family and close friends, and doing it to someone else is considered very rude.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Remind me - what does it mean when someone doesn't use honorifics? I think Togami didn't use them in DR1, something about how he considered himself above everyone else? They've been left off in a few instances so far by various people, but most notably, Hinata hasn't use them at all.

I think the term for it is yobisute? It's either supposed to indicate closeness (if you're friends/family or more with that person) or being insulting/general rudeness (especially if you leave it off without permission). No clue what that says about Hinata though!

edit: beaten to the punch, drat.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There's also this: Togami not using honorifics comes across very differently from Asahina not using honorifics. Togami comes across as spectacularly arrogant, whereas Asahina comes across as overly forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Brannock posted:

That's it! I've been wondering what specifically about Hiyoko's been bothering me (I posted about it a page or so ago). Her "creepy" poses come off as her trying to be scary, instead of her dropping her cutesy mannerisms and going sociopath on us.

I think it's the open mouth - without that, it would come across as her face going blank and unsettling. With it open, it looks like her trying to intimidate someone and that doesn't really mesh with what her character is supposed to be, I think.

I like that interpretation. At that age, a lot of kids try to be all scary and edgy like that. Maybe she's less legit sociopathic and more trying to compensate for looking tiny and adorable. I imagine otherwise she'd get a lot of her peers cooing over her, trying to pick her up and carry her around, maybe being Yamada-level creepy at worst. It doesn't take much for a high-schooler to start adopting a weird outlandish alternate persona.

• Locked thread