Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, it looks kinda fun in a spastic sort of way, but the gameplay sounds so shallow that you'd get bored of it in minutes. At least from the videos, it looks like you'll just be rubbing your finger up and down the screen as fast as possible- there'd be no strategy of choosing when to use which characters, since if you stop to think most of your guys will just be standing around with full ATB bars.

And yeah, that "random character" thing is bullshit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Oh, great, another subpar cellphone game from SE. Why am I not surprised anymore?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh boy, I hope I get Cloud! *MINWU!*

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Man what if this had actually been a cool "worlds merging" thing like Dissidia except in standard RPG format instead of a fighting game? Y'know instead of a clusterfuck where you just run your fingers down the screen to have guys do moves.

Eh...I don't have anything I could play this on anyway so I guess I can't be too disappointed.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Looks like "Magitek Armor Guy" is a job class, now.
I'm starting to have trouble resisting temptation.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bongo Bill posted:

more like Final Fantasy IAP am I right guys

The basic mechanic sounds like it could be pretty fun if the levels are designed well: you assemble a huge party of characters who each have one ability, and you tap them to make them do it.

However, the description seems to suggest it will be relying extensively on scummy sorts of addiction-driven business models. Just under half the characters can only be unlocked using gachapon-style random payouts, you've got a strategy-obliterating powerup mode that unlocks every three hours or faster if you're willing to pay, that sort of thing.

Oh well.

This was my reaction. First thought was "wow the pricing on this is like a normal iOS game" then I saw it's setup like Theatrarythm and will probably cost more than a normal console/handheld game if you were to try and buy everything. Square will probably make enough money off this to feel justified in keeping up the pricing model and people will keep paying $50+ for something they made with a fraction of the time and budget of games they charge $50 (or less) for. :sigh:

That the premium characters are given randomly is a pretty big turn off on it too. If I want to get a guy in MagiTek Armor and Sabin(he's in this right? If not, gently caress you SE) and have to pay over and over until I do I won't bother.

Terper posted:

The ATB trailer makes it look really really fun, dang.

All that chaos and mayhem... and kefka's giant health bar moved about 4 pixels. However it looks like even the white mages attack poo poo so I guess you can't actually lose in this, just get a lower score or something?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Have a very well done FFV OST medley.
That brass :allears:

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

That is quite nice.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

No Gilgamesh. :mad:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
So I picked up ATB, and... really how much you enjoy it is probably dependent on how long you can hold onto the novelty of making an absolute mess of dudes simultaneously stabbing other dudes. There's no real team-building aspect to the game; all the Jobs you're handed to fill your party slots are entirely random and they all die in one hit so it's literally just a game of "Cram all your mans down the enemy's throat until it keels over; repeat as necessary. If fail, grind previous stage." There's a weird sort of pseudo-equipment system in place where every monster drops an item that increases certain Jobs' attack power, and of course they're loving random drops. This does lead in to one of the things I genuinely enjoy about the game, though: absolutely everything in the collection has a description attached to it, and most of them are pretty tongue-in-cheek akin to what you might see in a Disgaea game. ("Thunder Rod: Try picking this up with wet hands. What's the worst that could possibly happen?")

Took the Premium Character thing for a spin just because, got Squall. Oddly enough they gave him Blasting Zone as his attack, but it's pretty amusing because now I have a tiny 16-bit Squall thumping monsters across the face with an enormous 16-bit Ideon Sword.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 17, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

All that chaos and mayhem... and kefka's giant health bar moved about 4 pixels. However it looks like even the white mages attack poo poo so I guess you can't actually lose in this, just get a lower score or something?

It's kind of lovely how losses are handled...

If you lose, you have to wait to try to play again. This is how those IAP fueled games work, but those games are free and don't ask you to pay $4 upfront.

You can get around it by using a Gold Hourglass to respawn your whole party when they die, which you also get every X hours in real time (not sure of the exact number). You also need the hourglasses to beat tough encounters because it lets you attack more often.

Oh and you can buy hourglasses if you don't want to wait of course. Oh and if you want to increase your party size you can post to facebook and twitter.

The Premium Characters are basically gambling, you pay $1 and get a random one but that's been covered. The extra worlds are Midgar (ff7), Zanarkand (ff10), Archlyte Stepps (FF12) and each one is $4, not sure how much they really add.

Basically imagine freemium IAP riddled stuff, but it's not free.

Edit: Took a quick look at the achievements. Unlocking all the in-game stuff is like, 30 game center points. Unlocking 35 premium characters is 100 points ($35, can't do any of it for free)

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 17, 2013

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
This is something I've been meaning to ask for a while. How you increase your stats in FFV? Besides, you know, HP and MP. They don't seem to go up when you level up, but they're clearly higher at the end compared to the beginning of the game.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Its depressing that this is a profitable business model for many people. I don't really have a problem with IAPs as such, as it's basically DLC, but this model of pay for the game, then pay to continue playing along with, and i'll emphasize this: randomized premium loving content, this seems like an incredible insult to fans who have stuck by the company even as it's started to suck.

If they spend less time with these games, porting FFIV to 100 billion consoles and making new game engines from scratch every five minutes we'd probably have versus XIII by now

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm still playing this game because each map has a different world map theme and I fought Gilgamesh and it played Battle on the Big Bridge and he taunted me. The gameplay is basically mashing the screen randomly but you unlock stuff. I have Gil and I dunno what it does. I unlock new guys sometimes but I can't choose my party, it's just a mix of whatever I unlocked. Same with equipment, you unlock new stuff but it looks like it automatically equips the best one.

Ehh

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

AHungryRobot posted:

This is something I've been meaning to ask for a while. How you increase your stats in FFV? Besides, you know, HP and MP. They don't seem to go up when you level up, but they're clearly higher at the end compared to the beginning of the game.

As far as I know, your stats are basically dependent on which job you're in. Having certain abilities equipped will also boost certain stats so you can use those abilities effectively (like the various Magic commands boosting your Magic Power by a certain amount). Mastering a job gives you that job's stats as a Freelancer and I think Mimic. I don't think level affects anything other than HP and MP.

This is from glancing at an Algorithm FAQ. OFS or DrPepper would know better than me.

e: Square-Enix, finding new and innovative ways to make their fans pay out the rear end for nostalgia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Polite Tim posted:

If they spend less time with these games, porting FFIV to 100 billion consoles and making new game engines from scratch every five minutes we'd probably have versus XIII by now
I seriously doubt they pulled a single guy off Versus XIII to do this or any of the FF4 ports.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

As far as I know, your stats are basically dependent on which job you're in. Having certain abilities equipped will also boost certain stats so you can use those abilities effectively (like the various Magic commands boosting your Magic Power by a certain amount). Mastering a job gives you that job's stats as a Freelancer and I think Mimic. I don't think level affects anything other than HP and MP.

This is from glancing at an Algorithm FAQ. OFS or DrPepper would know better than me.

This is 100% correct. :) For example, a Summoner has -10 Strength, -1 Agility, -1 Stamina, and +33 Magic from the character's base stats. If you master Summoner and then change to Mime or Freelancer, your stats would be +0 Strength, +0 Agility, +0 Stamina, and +33 Magic (assuming no other Jobs mastered).

Equipping the "key" ability of the Job can also pass down stats - for example, Artful Dodger will grant the +16 Agility of a Thief, and !Summon will grant the +33 Magic of a Summoner. This will override any negative adjustments a class normally has - for example, a Ninja with !Summon has +33 Magic, not -10.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Endorph posted:

I seriously doubt they pulled a single guy off Versus XIII to do this or any of the FF4 ports.

I don't doubt that, and I can see why they they do these things because it's probably more profitable for them than the £40 AAA games they make, (especially since I imagine fewer people are buying AAA games brand new due to smaller disposable incomes) but it smacks of lazy design and they are still using resources they could delegate to the Versus XIII team.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

AHungryRobot posted:

Everyone's stats start at a baseline for that Job, plus a few points here or therefor character differences (Bartz gets +4 Strength, for example, while Lenna has +4 Magic, stuff like that). Then, obviously, equipping pieces of equipment can change that (The Ribbon gives +5 to all four stats, while the Elf Cape gives +1 Magic and Vitality). Then, your equipped abilities also influence your stats. Every ability has a stat baseline associated with it, and if your current job's stat is lower than that baseline, then it gets raised to that level. !Black Level 6 has 55 Magic, so if your current job has a base Magic of less than 55 (which is everyone but Summoner in the original release) then it'll be raised to that level. This is how your magic power doesn't get gimped when you're a Knight with !Black (Mostly. Lower levels of magic eg !Black Level 3 have a correspondingly lower base Magic). Finally, mastered jobs pass on their baselines to Freelancer and Mime, so in those jobs, you'll have the highest baseline for each stat of those jobs you've mastered.

As a minor aside, note that HP and MP, while dependent on Vitality and Magic, respectively, are not affected by any stats but your class bases. A Monk with !Summon 5 will summon just as well as a Summoner, but will have only a fraction of the MP. Also note abilities dependent on Strength/Magic but lacking stat boosts there. A Dragoon with !Conjure is a sad sight indeed.

So, yes, this means that stats on their own do not go up as you level up. Level is an absolutely huge component in all damage formulas, which is how your damage output even goes up as the game goes on.

Short version: Stats are based on jobs, abilities, character differences, and equipment (in order from most to least important). Freelancers and Mimes take the best stats from all of that character's mastered Jobs, which is the only reason Level 50 Bartz in the Cleft of Dimensions has superior stats to Level 1 Bartz fighting Goblins at the Tycoon Meteor.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

This is 100% correct. :) For example, a Summoner has -10 Strength, -1 Agility, -1 Stamina, and +33 Magic from the character's base stats. If you master Summoner and then change to Mime or Freelancer, your stats would be +0 Strength, +0 Agility, +0 Stamina, and +33 Magic (assuming no other Jobs mastered).

Equipping the "key" ability of the Job can also pass down stats - for example, Artful Dodger will grant the +16 Agility of a Thief, and !Summon will grant the +33 Magic of a Summoner. This will override any negative adjustments a class normally has - for example, a Ninja with !Summon has +33 Magic, not -10.

Also in the case of a Ninja the scrolls they can throw are based on magic. With something like max level summon and elemental boosting equipment those scrolls do very respectable damage for no MP. Also Freelancers only take the max stats from classes they mastered so you only need to master 3 classes to give them max stats: Summoners for Magic (Oracle in GBA version), Thieves for Agility, and Monks for Stamina and Strength.

I would rather talk a lot about the FF5 job system than I would about this FF ATB thing

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I would rather talk a lot about the FF5 job system than I would about this FF ATB thing

I'm all for that (because I don't have an IOS device).

FFV's job system rocks because it has that amazing quality so many other games strive for of having a bunch of different options and combinations but still letting even the worst ones be playable.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 17, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also in the case of a Ninja the scrolls they can throw are based on magic. With something like max level summon and elemental boosting equipment those scrolls do very respectable damage for no MP.

They're also fast as gently caress, making them a great candidate to do opening-turn Golem.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Trasson posted:

This is how your magic power doesn't get gimped when you're a Knight with !Black (Mostly. Lower levels of magic eg !Black Level 3 have a correspondingly lower base Magic).

God, I've been playing this game for almost a decade and for some reason I always just innately assumed that magic WOULD be gimped if you were using it with a physical class(except like, Mystic Knight). This'll probably make my next run more interesting.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Equipping magic abilities on certain classes can boost their MP significantly too. Such as sticking !White on a physical class (something I happened to do with Krile during the last Four Job Fiesta, since it let me give her a nice pool of MP to let her act as a field healer, and to power the Rune Axe). And of course, there's the passive abilities for each class, but those are mostly useful for Freelancers and Mimes.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, the Algorithm Guide states that the only boosts to stats that are not considered are equipment boosts. I know Faris had comparable MP as a Ninja with !Summon as she did as a Summoner (once she maxed out !Summon, that is).

The guide lists the formula at (Base MP * (Magic + 32)) / 32.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

You guys realize those endless ports and rereleases usually aren't developed in-house, right?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

God, I've been playing this game for almost a decade and for some reason I always just innately assumed that magic WOULD be gimped if you were using it with a physical class(except like, Mystic Knight). This'll probably make my next run more interesting.

There's still some trade-offs. I already mentioned the MP thing above, but physical classes can't equip stuff like Rods to boost their damage, and most don't get to use the other useful mage equips like the Gold Hairpin or White/Black Robes.

Of course, the reverse is true. You can give Equip Swords to your White Mage and she'll bash in as well as a Knight all day long...but she's still got half the HP and a quarter of the Defense, and those values matter a whole helluva lot in FFV.

This also doesn't mean that doing fighter/mage hybrids is pointless, though. You just need a little creativity. Physical types running with magic in the early and mid-game can just stick to the stat-independent spells (Raise, Sleep, Golem, Vampire, to name one from each school. Alternatively, all Time Magic) to dodge the damage problem. After all, they're physical fighters, they don't need damage help. Late-game, there's a few Magic boosting weapons and armors. While not quite on the power of straight Element boosting, a few extra points here and there does help. Naturally, I'd be remiss not the mention the Rune Sword, which when backed up by any Magic secondary is an absolute monster for physical damage.

On the other end, defensive deficiencies on the mage/fighter side can also be solved. Image and Protect are great spells for this, while the Elf Cape should be any mage's accessory of choice through most of the game even without trying different builds. To top it all off, late-game there's the Defender sword which cannot have enough love heaped on it, as Weapon Block plus the ability to cast Protect means it's useful even when not swinging.

I've mentioned this before, but one of the things I really like about FFV is all the different kinds of equipment. I'm not talking the random vendor trash, I'm talking all those silly little one-off effects that make your equipment mean more than just an Attack or Defense boost. The Dancing Dagger, the Gold Hairpin, things like that. It's compounded by a lot of the really neat stuff being unique. It's not automatically the right move to equip all your mages with Gold Hairpins, not just because of the huge defensive hit, but also because you get one halfway through and another two thirds through and that's probably about it. Same with other universally good stuff like the Aegis Shield and Elf Capes: if you're at the level where you can get all three Elf Capes in the first part of the game then there probably isn't much challenge left for you, but for the average player there's a lot of fun decision making in deciding who gets the elite defensive equipment.

I think FFX tried to replicate this with its ability system, but it rather fails on the whole because you can't share equipment with other party members and because most of the cool abilities are out of your reach for most of the game. So, not only does Double Overdrive or Magic Counter sound like a kickass ability, you'll never get it for one of your party members, and even when you do gain the materials for something non-filler, you're faced with severe analysis paralysis on who gets something as meager as Counterattack. Games shouldn't be afraid to throw fun stuff at players, is what I'm saying.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Who wants a New 13-3 trailer? Well, uh, not exactly entirely new. New stuff starts at 1:38.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Speak for yourself, by the time I was done with FFX every one of my characters had a weapon with Break Damage Limit, One MP Cost, Triple Overdrive, and Evade & Counter, and an armor with Break HP Limit, Auto Haste, Auto Phoenix, and HP +30%. Then I erased the entire sphere grid and everyone had 255 in all base stats, 999 MP, and 68K HP base.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Terper posted:

Who wants a New 13-3 trailer? Well, uh, not exactly entirely new. New stuff starts at 1:38.

I don't care what anyone says, I'm actually really looking forward to this.

I'm curious about what's going on with Noel fighting Lightning in that trailer...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A closer look at a couple of Lightning's new WEARS or whatever they're called.
HOBO LIGHTNING

Light "We Couldn't Decide If We Wanted Her To Wear A Thong Or Show Off Her Panties" Ning

Are these designed by Nomura? Because I think it's time the guy retired already.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why the gently caress does she have bar codes? :psyduck:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I hope she doesn't have to fight anyone that shoots arrows.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That is the dumbest shield.

Actually it's the dumbest everything. But that shield... Man.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's like she stole an iron gate and decided to strap it to her arm.
The first one looks a little better, but something seems off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The first one literally makes her look like a homeless person. Like some sort of wandering hobo samurai.

It's still the best costume she's had since FFXIII though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's like she stole an iron gate and decided to strap it to her arm.
The first one looks a little better, but something seems off.

Probably those cold, dead eyes on that dollface staring at you.
Seriously. :catstare:

Still the best one she's had since 13 though, yes.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Calaveron posted:

A closer look at a couple of Lightning's new WEARS or whatever they're called.
HOBO LIGHTNING

Light "We Couldn't Decide If We Wanted Her To Wear A Thong Or Show Off Her Panties" Ning

Are these designed by Nomura? Because I think it's time the guy retired already.

It looks like she just grabbed a disused fence from a scrap heap for a shield

e: I should look before I make the exact same comment somebody has already made next time. I guess I'll add that those outfits look absolutely ridiculous, much like everything else about the game.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I love that beginning shot of Claire walking out of the monorail. It's like: regular clothes, then regular clothes, then suddenly That Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:buddy:

Terper fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 17, 2013