Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

triplexpac posted:

That's too bad, that the Dingo sucked. I do like the idea of a great portable ROM player. I have an old PSP fat, and it's ok except it doesn't really run SNES all that well.

Have you been updating your emulator? Mine runs SNES surprisingly well, aside from Super FX-heavy games. Also it somehow does Game Boy Advance even better than my hulking gamin' rig PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Uncle Jenkins posted:

Have you been updating your emulator? Mine runs SNES surprisingly well, aside from Super FX-heavy games. Also it somehow does Game Boy Advance even better than my hulking gamin' rig PC.

True, maybe I do need a new emulator... what would you recommend?

I have a great GBA one, it runs perfectly fine.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There must be something about the GBA that makes it easy to emulate because you can emulate it full speed on almost anything. When I had a custom firmware PSP it ran GBA emulators pretty much perfectly.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pablo Gigante posted:

There must be something about the GBA that makes it easy to emulate because you can emulate it full speed on almost anything. When I had a custom firmware PSP it ran GBA emulators pretty much perfectly.

A significant lack of co-processor dependency?

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

triplexpac posted:

That's too bad, that the Dingo sucked. I do like the idea of a great portable ROM player. I have an old PSP fat, and it's ok except it doesn't really run SNES all that well.

From the videos I've seen, it doesn't look like the GCW Zero runs SNES all that great either at 40-50 fps.

Unless I'm missing something, that's not very good.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fatpat268 posted:

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't really matter on the class rating. While the class rating is a rating of write and read, it's become more of a write rating. Unless you have a really old SD card, almost all cards will read faster than the class rating.

Just for reference, I had a ton of Virtual Console stuff on my original Wii; you know, the legit ones that load up in the channel menu. I had some ridiculous number of titles, and it would take forever for them to load/show up. Switching to a class 10 SD card made it instantaneous.

flyboi posted:

The reason being is the SA-1 processor on the cartridge. These coprocessors are programmable and in the case of SMRPG they had put in some protections to make portions of the rom inaccessible from the edge connector of the cartridge. To access the data required bypassing the SA-1 entirely and wiring directly into the ROM of the cartridge. Basically to get it to work the guy had to wire the pins from the rom directly to the edge connector inside a backup device to get it to dump the ROM.

Thanks for the info; I figured it was something like that. I guess there really is a market for old school hardware like this. I used to have a device for my SNES that I literally hooked an IDE hard drive up to; I sold it like 10 years ago on, I think it was the ZSNES forums, for like $500 (which is what I paid for it). It's surprising that someone would still want that in this day and age but then again that could be said for any hobby!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

To be fair the second revision of the Dingoo was pretty good. It's just a device that became extremely obsolete very quickly.

That and the Mega Drive emulation was always trash.

Weird! The Mega Drive emulation on the GP2X Wiz is literally 100% flawless. It looks fantastic, sounds fantastic, no speed or video or sound issues. Plus it's OLED :swoon:
Seriously, pick one up and try Genesis/Mega Drive games on it. It's like playing them all over again. SNES looks completely incredible on it as well, but it does not handle the SNES sound or speed that well, unfortunately.

fatpat268 posted:

From the videos I've seen, it doesn't look like the GCW Zero runs SNES all that great either at 40-50 fps.

Unless I'm missing something, that's not very good.

That's sort of odd. Running the GP2X Wiz at 800mhz can get many SNES games 100% speed. I mean don't get me wrong, it won't even do Donkey Kong Country at 60fps because of the transparency in the background (the "horizon" sky effects), but something like Final Fight will run at 60fps. I am surprised this thing being 200 more mhz ain't cutting it.

kirbysuperstar posted:

That d-pad looks wretched.

To be fair to the dude, if he loves retro gaming enough that he'd go through all this trouble, even as far with the screen res he chose, I'd say he's not going to give it a crappy d-pad. Microsoft managed to give their billion dollar endeavor, the XBox 360, the worst d-pad I have ever used since the Sega Master System.

I'd kill for something like this GCW Zero thing to run Killer Instinct (arcade version). But then again, I'd need the 6 button layout for that. :frogbon:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 17, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Uncle Jenkins posted:

Also it somehow does Game Boy Advance even better than my hulking gamin' rig PC.

It was a while back now, but Super Robot Wars J made my PSP poo poo itself whenever the 'world map' came up. Scrolling during battle was also pretty choppy. I know it shouldn't matter for a turn based game, but SRW is all about buttery smoothness.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Went over to Gamestop today and to try and take advantage of that 75% off sale. I think I got a decent haul.

There's Wave Race: Blue Storm, Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, Resident Evil, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, Resident Evil 3, Battalion Wars, and Gotcha Force. It was $14 for all those games. Gotcha Force was a steal at $2.25. The cheapest I can get that online is $50 disc only.

Gamestop's website said the store had Baten Kaitos, but I couldn't find it. :(

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ordered my SD2SNES from RetroGate a week ago... think I should be getting a shipping confirmation sometime soon?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Hey Miyamotos RGB NES. Either clean out your inbox or start emailing me. :shobon:

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Another question in re: Everdrive 64. Would a 16 gb sd card be overkill? How much space would I feasibly need for every application on the system?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

take_it_slow posted:

Another question in re: Everdrive 64. Would a 16 gb sd card be overkill? How much space would I feasibly need for every application on the system?

A Good Merged set is just under 5GB, but does the Everdrive need uncompressed ROMs?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A Good Merged set is just under 5GB, but does the Everdrive need uncompressed ROMs?

I believe every ROM cart does, even simple compression like ZIP has ridiculous processor overhead requirements. The full collection of ROMs is 24 gigs but a quick poke-around suggests getting it down to 16 should be feasible if you don't care about trainers/hacks and the like.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Interesting! I have this thing http://club.dx.com/reviews/text/4707 which given I don't use a computer with a parallel port anymore, I'd be happy to give to any of the retrothread bros for the price of shipping (five bucks). PM me if interested.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

I believe every ROM cart does, even simple compression like ZIP has ridiculous processor overhead requirements. The full collection of ROMs is 24 gigs but a quick poke-around suggests getting it down to 16 should be feasible if you don't care about trainers/hacks and the like.

Use the no-intro set.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Mill Village posted:

Went over to Gamestop today and to try and take advantage of that 75% off sale. I think I got a decent haul.

There's Wave Race: Blue Storm, Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, Resident Evil, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, Resident Evil 3, Battalion Wars, and Gotcha Force. It was $14 for all those games. Gotcha Force was a steal at $2.25. The cheapest I can get that online is $50 disc only.

That's a great deal you got there. Gotcha Force is amazing and is easily one of the most under appreciated games on the GameCube.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So back to the SD card questions.. What 8GB one do you guys use with sd2snes? I want to make sure the one i have is MSU-1 compatible and the ones I have I couldn't get to work on my pc with bsnes.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Holy making GBS threads Jesus, my SARGSS package finally came! Shipping from Germany decided to take a month to send it overseas, but my giftee is super awesome and I was in touch with them in case they lost it or something. Now you all get a crapload of pictures because Katana Gomai and his package deserves it.

Aww, I'm sure they're not shi-

:stare: Holy crap, you do not gently caress around with Secret Santa-ing. Hopefully you can read the labels, I forgot which ones went to some games but they're mostly pretty obvious.

What is this? Why is there an Oktoberfest game? Do you drink and eat pretzels? Is there an accordian playing mini game? I am playing this one first because it has me the most curious.

Also now I really want a big soft pretzel with some hot mustard.

Can never have too much Quake, and I don't own III in any form. :D

Okay, I recognized this when I started pulling it from the wrapping and saw the background, and just started laughing. I never even added this to my wish list of stuff to get because I figured it'd be too much of a hassle to actually get a copy. You are awesome.

By the way, you guys' DS cases are way better. Ours are kind of skinny and meh, these are thick and satisfying. (:heysexy:)

Token sports game! It will sit proudly on my shelf.

:krad:

Holy drat! You've just, like, quadrupled my Gameboy collection. Wait, what's that in the bottom right?

:hawaaaafap:

And the last cool thing?

One of those SNES promo posters from PAL! It's in German!

Katana Gomai, you are absolutely the best. :3: Danke!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Mill Village posted:

None of the Gamestops around here have GC games anymore. Good thing I still have Enteral Darkness. But it's going to suck, having to pay big bucks to get games now...

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Yo Miyamotos RGB NES, remember when I got the SNES you sent me for SASS I said it looked a bit blue? I haven't had much time to dig into it, but yesterday after I got my capture card I recorded some video on both my SNESs to show you what I mean:

http://youtubedoubler.com/6uQ8

Left side is my old SNES, right is the modded SNES.

I haven't opened her up yet to get a deeper look, but maybe you have an idea of what's causing that?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

RadicalR posted:

None of the Gamestops around here have GC games anymore. Good thing I still have Enteral Darkness. But it's going to suck, having to pay big bucks to get games now...

Yeah, I noticed a lot of GC games have become quite pricy now. Thankfully I already have some of the rare games like Pikmin 2, PSO Episode 1 & 2 Plus, Zelda Twilight Princess, and Tales of Symphonia.

The first disc in Resident Evil does not work. :( The scratches didn't look that bad at the store. I also noticed that the label side is scratched, too. I did some Googling and I read that the disc is no good if the label side is scratched. Is that true?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Retrogate ships from Ukraine? I thought he shipped from Germany seeing the site's hosted on a German domain. Well whatever. I'm still waiting on a shipping confirmation from 9 or 10 days ago.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Mill Village posted:

Yeah, I noticed a lot of GC games have become quite pricy now. Thankfully I already have some of the rare games like Pikmin 2, PSO Episode 1 & 2 Plus, Zelda Twilight Princess, and Tales of Symphonia.

The first disc in Resident Evil does not work. :( The scratches didn't look that bad at the store. I also noticed that the label side is scratched, too. I did some Googling and I read that the disc is no good if the label side is scratched. Is that true?

This is true of all optical media since removing the sticker usually damages the reflective layer.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Crimson Harvest posted:

Retrogate ships from Ukraine? I thought he shipped from Germany seeing the site's hosted on a German domain. Well whatever. I'm still waiting on a shipping confirmation from 9 or 10 days ago.

Check your spam folder; that's where my confirmation was.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

So it is! Now we shall see if my eBay sfc makes it before my sd2snes.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mill Village posted:

Wait Tales of Symphonia is that pricey? I really thought since the Gamecube was a rather lackluster preformer and was still a rather recent system that alot of things weren't in demand. That and while looking up the prices of TOS it turns out that Skies of Arcadia Legends is right up there. Twilight Princess for the Gamecube and Wii are both the same in terms of price too. I am also surprised that games like Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 arn't the same though, they're still rather cheap. I guess that they never gained much of a following despite being made by From Software.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 18, 2013

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Mill Village posted:

I can't see myself playing through RE1 again, so if you want my copy I can send it to you. I'm the original owner and just popped it in to be sure it works, if that's any concern.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Aha! Mine was there as well... any idea where I can plug in this tracking number?

Mill Village posted:

PSO Episode 1 & 2 Plus

It kills me that I don't own this. I'm a huge PSO fan, have E1&2, but it never occured to me to get Plus when it was still cheap... now I want to play the quests and download the GBA games, but I'm not paying $85+ to do it.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I can't see myself playing through RE1 again, so if you want my copy I can send it to you. I'm the original owner and just popped it in to be sure it works, if that's any concern.

Oh cool, what is your email so I can send you my information? I don't have Platinum.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Mill Village posted:

Oh cool, what is your email so I can send you my information? I don't have Platinum.

Neither do I, send me a message at REDACTED

Hit or miss Clitoris fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 18, 2013

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

So me and my roommate have decided to catalog our video game collection. The problem is, I'm not sure what the best way to do it would be. I've considered just making a spreadsheet, but I was wondering what you guys do? Is there a program or something?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Cicero posted:

Who's the guy who did the awesome Sonik der Hedgehog boxart? I need to talk to him about something.

Nobody answered this, but it looks like Shmorky's handy work. He does a lot of video game related stuff, he's a goon too. Shmorky.com is the address I think.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I believe it weas Uncle Jenkins

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
Yeah, just found the post back on page 70.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=70#post410736893

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

the_lion posted:

Nobody answered this, but it looks like Shmorky's handy work. He does a lot of video game related stuff, he's a goon too. Shmorky.com is the address I think.

Nope.

zenintrude posted:

I believe it weas Uncle Jenkins
Yes

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
So since my awesome Trinitron died I just went and bought a new TV for the upstairs and put my 46 inch LCD in my basement. Everything looks...serviceable. Oddly enough the worst looking thing (besides my N64) was the Saturn. Astal just...didn't look good. Not a big enough deal for me to shell out the $400 for the xrgb mini though, at least not yet. Right now I've got everything except the 64 and Saturn hooked up via composite. I should probably look into S video for the SNES/GC. I really need to get an actual receiver too so that I can get (terrible quality/fake) surround sound out of everything.

My biggest issue right now though is the length of the NES/SNES/Genesis controllers are way too short, I have to move my couch up, and while that isn't too terrible, I'd rather not do that every time I wanted to play something. Can anyone recommend some decent controller cable extensions?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Biff Rockgroin posted:

So me and my roommate have decided to catalog our video game collection. The problem is, I'm not sure what the best way to do it would be. I've considered just making a spreadsheet, but I was wondering what you guys do? Is there a program or something?

I just Google Docs. All my stuff is in a spreadsheet on it. Useful for when I'm out and about.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Holy making GBS threads Jesus, my SARGSS package finally came!

Finally. I believe I can call The 1st SARGSS a success with no deadbeats! Astonishing.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

midge posted:

Finally. I believe I can call The 1st SARGSS a success with no deadbeats! Astonishing.

I can't wait for SARGSS II [which will just be a reskinning of Doki Doki Panic]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lunaris posted:

My biggest issue right now though is the length of the NES/SNES/Genesis controllers are way too short, I have to move my couch up, and while that isn't too terrible, I'd rather not do that every time I wanted to play something. Can anyone recommend some decent controller cable extensions?

I just use these:
http://www.amazon.com/Extension-Cable-BRAND-Super-Nintendo-SNES/dp/B002GCDLLK
http://www.amazon.com/Extension-Cable-RETROBIT-Sega-Genesis/dp/B000E31QEC
http://www.amazon.com/Extension-Cable-BRAND-Original-Nintendo/dp/B000NO4X10

• Locked thread