Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Harlock posted:

Amazon is taking pre-orders now.

Not seeing it. Do you think you could be a bro and link it? Maybe Amazon Mobile sucks regarding preorder items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ineffiable posted:

Isn't this a Canadian Best Buy exclusive? At least for now.

Nope.

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/systems/ps3-classic-white-bundle.html

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ineffiable posted:

Not seeing it. Do you think you could be a bro and link it? Maybe Amazon Mobile sucks regarding preorder items.
Right here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AASQJAM

Oddly enough they took the picture for it down already.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

Right here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AASQJAM

Oddly enough they took the picture for it down already.

From the picture on the box it looks like LBP, Infamous 2 and All 4 One aren't leaving PS+ anytime soon.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Guh, just got home with DMC, and it seems my Dual Shock's right analogue stick is constantly stuck turning the camera around. Friends' controller works just fine on the console, and the same thing happens whether it's running over Bluetooth or USB, so it's definately unique to the controller.

Is this a known thing, or at least a fixable thing? I don't imagine it's as simple as rubbing dust of a circuitboard with modern controllers, and the cost of official controllers seem to be double the cost of games right now :psyduck:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Double? Aren't new games and new controllers both about $60?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm still a little surprised that the next generation of game consoles is even happening, I keep expecting the entire biz to jump ship and go to smartphones and stuff all at once.
Won't happen. At best/worst, Steambox will take over the TV console space by turning into something more like a TV - various boxes made by various distributors with a consistent interface to play games. More likely, Microsoft and Sony will stay in the game, Google will throw in too, and we'll see Steambox-like things AND "your phone is your console" docking station type things for casual console'ers.

The people predicting the demise of consoles are the same people that keep predicting the demise of PC gaming. They tend to have a lot invested in mobile game development, whether by virtue of being developers or investment people focused on that space. They ignore the difference in market/use and just assume everyone would actually rather be playing small games on the go.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Seriously mobile will never get huge to the point it can take over consoles. As for the comment regarding RAM, it's not neccesarily oh xbox is still powerful. More of the same with the ps3/xbox multi ports being different. It was pretty disheartening to see a few lovely rear end ps3 ports.

I really hope it doesn't repeat for the next gen.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Isn't this a Canadian Best Buy exclusive? At least for now.

Nope, it's for all of North America. Launches on the 27th.

[edit] Crap, there was a whole other page! Sorry about that.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Wasn't the big complaint from developers on porting in the beginning that the Cell processor was loving insane + lack of RAM? I mean, these days there are some decent multiplatform ports but Jesus there are some bad ones (I'll never get to play Bayonetta on my PS3). I really, really hope this isn't the case this time around.

Ninja edit: Like Bethesda still keeps blaming the PS3's architecture for their games bugs but at this point every other developer seems to either be able to compensate or know how to work with it instead of against it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So, is the PS4 going to use more or less off the shelf and well understood hardware this time? Are they abandoning their ridiculous "make it intentionally difficult to program for so devs slowly get better at it, and games gradually get prettier and prettier" plan that they had with the PS3?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So, is the PS4 going to use more or less off the shelf and well understood hardware this time? Are they abandoning their ridiculous "make it intentionally difficult to program for so devs slowly get better at it, and games gradually get prettier and prettier" plan that they had with the PS3?

Sony is gung-ho for off the shelf parts now. Vita was largely comprised of it.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Mobile gaming is getting such a significant reputation because those who didn't use to game much/at all are now able to load up an app and have some fun with interactive gaming experiences. The only real console that would suffer from that shift, I'd think, is the Wii U, with kids and casual gamers wanting an iPad more than a Nintendo console. When it comes to media/gaming systems, consoles certainly aren't going away, and personally as long as these megaram systems have a good price point, I think they'll sell just as great as in the past 7 years. People spelled doom with the Vita in 2012, but I think the Vita is an excellent rebranding of the Playstation line and people are starting to take notice. Now that the PS2 hubris is gone, I think the PS4 is looking more and more promising instead of the mess that was the first three years of the PS3.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mobile gaming is successful because it's cheap.

That's it.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Aphrodite posted:

Mobile gaming is successful because it's cheap.

That's it.

I wouldn't say that. It's certainly a large factor but the fact it's on a device you always carry around with you, with a constant connection and intuitive games, also plays a big part.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Despite the idea of RPGs moving to mobile scaring me, if Persona 4 got ported to Android I'd be thrilled out of my little nerd mind

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The funny thing is most companies seem to think that the low price is not a huge factor in why mobile games are so popular. Like square is putting out games on IOS...and charging $15-30 for them. Sony is trying to go all digital but their games cost the same either way. The DS store has a bunch of games that are more expensive there then they are on the app store for no apparent reason. I mean I have way too many apps on my ipod but almost all of them cost somewhere between free and $3. you can't just have a download service and expect to get the sales that dollar games get (or free games with lots of stuff to buy in game).

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

axleblaze posted:

Like square is putting out games on IOS...and charging $15-30 for them.

Haha I know right? I keep seeing Final Fantasy titles pop up on the Play Store and they're all at least $15 if not $20.

But honest to god, if P4 got released and it was in HD [like sharp and pretty on my 10" tablet's 720 screen] I would pay $15 for that. I've never played it before, but judging by how god-loving long P3 is, and how much I'm enjoying it, and the potential replay-ability... yeah I can justify $15 for that, regardless of platform.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's not liek some of those games aren't worth that much but the Iphone market really aren't used to playing more than $5 for a game. Even $10 is really stretching it. If they released a Persona game for IOS, it would be worth $40 but it's really hard to convince people to pay that much.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Tyma posted:

Guh, just got home with DMC, and it seems my Dual Shock's right analogue stick is constantly stuck turning the camera around. Friends' controller works just fine on the console, and the same thing happens whether it's running over Bluetooth or USB, so it's definately unique to the controller.

Is this a known thing, or at least a fixable thing? I don't imagine it's as simple as rubbing dust of a circuitboard with modern controllers, and the cost of official controllers seem to be double the cost of games right now :psyduck:

Turn the console off at the power, turn the controller on, put a pin in the tiny reset button in the back until it factory defaults. Start again.

It sounds like a calibration issue.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Code Jockey posted:

Haha I know right? I keep seeing Final Fantasy titles pop up on the Play Store and they're all at least $15 if not $20.

But honest to god, if P4 got released and it was in HD [like sharp and pretty on my 10" tablet's 720 screen] I would pay $15 for that. I've never played it before, but judging by how god-loving long P3 is, and how much I'm enjoying it, and the potential replay-ability... yeah I can justify $15 for that, regardless of platform.

I had never played P4 up until the Vita port and it's hands down one of my favorite games ever. Get a vita, you know you want it :unsmigghh:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jjaarreett posted:

I had never played P4 up until the Vita port and it's hands down one of my favorite games ever. Get a vita, you know you want it :unsmigghh:

Shut up shut up shut up I totally do but I can't, I shouldn't, noooo

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Code Jockey posted:

Shut up shut up shut up I totally do but I can't, I shouldn't, noooo

Shutupyoustupidjerkwhyaren'tyougettingavita Persona 4 Golden is basically one of the best games ever, and with Persona 3 Portable, you can literally have a neat portable system that lets you carry around Persona 3 and 4 in your pocket and play them whenever you want.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also EDF! EDF!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Aphrodite posted:

Also EDF! EDF!

I do like the taste of EDF's bullets. Also that game is incredibly perfect for portable play.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

If Atlus USA would put out Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSP in North America I would have every single Persona game on my Vita, and that would rock.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Aphrodite posted:

Also EDF! EDF!

Shad up shad up! I've been holding out not getting a Vita. Don't make me do it drat it. :mad:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
As far as the PS4 goes, I might have got a PS3 right close to release, but if the PS4 can't play PS3 games via disc out the box I'll probably be waiting until there's a decently sized library to dip into to make that investment. I wouldn't want my shiny new console sitting around with nothing to play on it!

It's kind of ridiculous how strongly I've resisted portable gaming for the past years. I didn't cave on the 3DS or the Vita, yet given how I already own a handful of Vita games thanks to PS+... If I ever do give in, I at least know I'll have a few things to play on it right away.

God I love PS+ now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Overlord K posted:

As far as the PS4 goes, I might have got a PS3 right close to release, but if the PS4 can't play PS3 games via disc out the box I'll probably be waiting until there's a decently sized library to dip into to make that investment. I wouldn't want my shiny new console sitting around with nothing to play on it!

I always say this kind of thing, but really all it takes is one game.

With the 360 it didn't even take a game. When I heard about the achievement system, I was already sold.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

VarrosAnon posted:

People spelled doom with the Vita in 2012, but I think the Vita is an excellent rebranding of the Playstation line and people are starting to take notice.

Not to derail the ps4 discussion but as much as I want to like the vita, if they don't have some serious poo poo to show at E3, the Vita is hosed.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Not to derail the ps4 discussion but as much as I want to like the vita, if they don't have some serious poo poo to show at E3, the Vita is hosed.

I think the same thing was said about the PS3 and its unimpressive start, Sony seems more focused on the long term. I guess it depends on what you mean by hosed. I don't see Sony will abandon the platform.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rad Valtar posted:

I think the same thing was said about the PS3 and its unimpressive start, Sony seems more focused on the long term. I guess it depends on what you mean by hosed. I don't see Sony will abandon the platform.

Even the PS3 had many more games available on it after its first year though. Right now there are nine games scheduled to come out in the US for it between now and March. Not bad actually, but I do think it hurt that it didn't get more lot of ports of the 360/PS3 stuff over the holidays like WWE and so on. They have done something really smart with it though in releasing a $299.99 version that comes with a memory card and a Playstation Plus membership. It's not laughable like the PSP Go since that was released so before its time but, again, the super over priced proprietary memory cards for the Vita probably a mistake. If they want people to have Playstation Plus and be constantly checking the PSN to download the latest stuff and rent movies then they should be raining free memory on customers all the time.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Neo Rasa posted:

Even the PS3 had many more games available on it after its first year though. Right now there are nine games scheduled to come out in the US for it between now and March. Not bad actually, but I do think it hurt that it didn't get more lot of ports of the 360/PS3 stuff over the holidays like WWE and so on. They have done something really smart with it though in releasing a $299.99 version that comes with a memory card and a Playstation Plus membership. It's not laughable like the PSP Go since that was released so before its time but, again, the super over priced proprietary memory cards for the Vita probably a mistake. If they want people to have Playstation Plus and be constantly checking the PSN to download the latest stuff and rent movies then they should be raining free memory on customers all the time.

I think they could sell a bunch if they would just drop the price to $199. I agree the price of the memory is crazy, a price cut is definitively needed.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The Vita's component price is somewhere around $150-170 so yeah Sony's just being greedy as hell with the current price.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Policenaut posted:

The Vita's component price is somewhere around $150-170 so yeah Sony's just being greedy as hell with the current price.

You always start a price point 2 above component price, so that you have somewhere to drop to.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
If the Vita dropped to $199, my decision would be a hell of a lot harder, I gotta say.

e. oh lame it doesn't have TV out, that sucks. :smith: I dunno, I didn't really expect it to, but that woulda been cool.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's been a number of opportunities to get a Vita below $200, I think there's even a $200 bundle at Toys R Us right now. There was like a $180 one with Black Ops or something too I believe. I'm pretty sure that's the only way they sell. It's tempted me because I want to play Persona 4 Golden and I do have PS+ but I still don't think it's at all obvious or preordained that the Vita will recover from its truly awful launch. It was not even a sure thing that the PS3 would, but I think the PS3's situation was considerably better anyway.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've been looking to trade my 3DS for a Vita for awhile now but the thing that's stopping me is the fact there's pretty much nothing coming out for the Vita. Like I go to IGN and look at the upcoming games section and there's nothing there at all. Now, sure, I can same pretty much the same thing for the 3DS and the games that are out for the Vita that I want to play are ones I want to play more than the current 3DS games I have but the 3DS is far more likely to pick up at some point while Sony so far have shown me no indication that the Vita is getting anything. They really need to have a helluva E3 but is they announce the PS4 that probably won't happen :(

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

PS+ was a major factor in me getting a Vita. I had a ton of points on a credit card that I had forgotten about and turned it around into a Assassin's Creed bundle. Add in all the free poo poo I had acquired over time from PS+ for the Vita and my absolute burning love for Persona 3 & 4 as well as wanting to play Zero Escape... It was a no-brainer.

It's a sexy little device. I'm really glad I purchased it, although I wish it was getting more love from Sony. Seems like they should have a slightly more aggressive marketing campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just can't justify a Vita until it either falls in price or doesn't seem to be withering on the vine slightly. It's a shame because I really want one but it's way too high a price for something that is still so iffy on support.

• Locked thread