Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
To be fair you never really wanted to decoy in Lunatic because the bad guys were so strong that you needed Arran/Sirius to smack them with his Silver Lance first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

To be fair you never really wanted to decoy in Lunatic because the bad guys were so strong that you needed Arran/Sirius to smack them with his Silver Lance first.

You didn't need to do that. You could also reclass Sirius to Sniper and work the range advantage all day.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah I noticed enemy archers will attack Virion in the demo when other characters are in range, which surprised me. That's just a boneheaded move even if you can do damage to him.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I know it's just the demo but normal difficulty feels like sub-sacred stones while hard is actually pretty hard. Zany.

Also is it just me or is Falchion an intensely stupid name for a legendary sword.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Also is it just me or is Falchion an intensely stupid name for a legendary sword.

Best way to hide the fact that it's a legendary weapon!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You can tell it's the Falchion because it's the only sword called "Falchion" that is not a falchion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd like to get one thing right out there:
Armsthrift is the most hilariously broken ability in certain circumstances. (i.e: Once you get over like 25 luck.)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Is that what they're calling the Weapon Saver skill in localisation?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Is that what they're calling the Weapon Saver skill in localisation?

Yeah, it's hilarious. Free gold all day 'ery day with the sword that gives you gold or glass weapons that last fifty turns or whatever.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Huh? Can you elaborate? I can see how weapons not losing uses can be great, but hilariously broken?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Lotish posted:

Huh? Can you elaborate? I can see how weapons not losing uses can be great, but hilariously broken?

Nosferatu, Aversa's Darkness, or Ruin all day everyday!

Or legendary weapons if you want to.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I hadn't thought about it til now, but does it work with staves?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lotish posted:

A lot of weapons are balanced around the idea that they have limited uses and are hard to replace. Glass weapons, for example, has incredibly high might but have 3 uses, or there are several legendary weapons which have incredibly powerful effects but only 20 or so uses and are harder to replace. With Armsthrift you negate that weakness. You can also put it on a mage with, say, Nosferatu are be basically unkillable with the right setup. Also recall that FE:A has Forging so you can forge a weapon to be insanely strong.

It's also the default skill for Mercenaries so it's incredibly easy to get for anyone who can cross-class into a mercenary.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Zurai posted:

I hadn't thought about it til now, but does it work with staves?

It does not.

edit: In addition you can combine it with forged weapons with massive stats and go to town, forever.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Wait, the Armsthrift skill prevents weapon degradation with an activation rate of Luck*2?

Promoted classes have a Luck cap of 45 in this game :unsmigghh:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Slate Action posted:

Wait, the Armsthrift skill prevents weapon degradation with an activation rate of Luck*2?

Promoted classes have a Luck cap of 45 in this game :unsmigghh:
Actually, with the DLC Limit Breaker skill, Luck can cap at >50. :getin:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

And with a certain skill, everyone who gets Armsthrift will be able to get it to 100% no degradation. Be afraid!

Edit: ^^^ Doh, beaten.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Nakar posted:

Actually, with the DLC Limit Breaker skill, Luck can cap at >50. :getin:

Well, DLC doesn't really count for much. DLC can always be used to break the game.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Folt The Bolt posted:

And with a certain skill, everyone who gets Armsthrift will be able to get it to 100% no degradation. Be afraid!

Edit: ^^^ Doh, beaten.
There's actually another skill that could push it to 100% even with 45 Luck. It's less common though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nakar posted:

There's actually another skill that could push it to 100% even with 45 Luck. It's less common though.

If it's 45 Luck exactly, you're going to need two skills. Less Skill Slot wasting with just Limit Breaker.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't actually found it to be that great, unless you get a lucky drop from an event tile. The game showers you in money, and it's not really that difficult to just buy 20 nosferatus rather than try to do some crazy mercenary -> dark mage reclass scheme. It could be good with forges, but it's still basically limited by who starts as a mercenary in-game and limited by opportunity cost to put on skills that actually effect combat in the postgame.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
How fast do you level up compared to the rest of the games? It seems to me all of the really crazy reclass shenanigans won't come to fruition until the endgame, even with skirmishes.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Folt The Bolt posted:

If it's 45 Luck exactly, you're going to need two skills. Less Skill Slot wasting with just Limit Breaker.

No, the hard-to-get one will do it. +10% to all skill activation rates. 90%+10%=100%. Unless it's multiplicative instead of additive (which would make it a lovely skill since most activation rates are going to be 20-30%), of course. Admittedly, Limit Breaker also makes the character hit harder, take less damage, etc, but it doesn't have as much effect on other skills since most are /2 instead of *2.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Neo_Crimson posted:

How fast do you level up compared to the rest of the games? It seems to me all of the really crazy reclass shenanigans won't come to fruition until the endgame, even with skirmishes.

I've noticed that staves especially give you much more experience than in the past, at least on lower difficulties. Kill XP seems to be 30 for even leveled kills as per usual.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Question. If you give a character, Say, Aether and lethality, will it roll once for Aether activation and once for Lethality activation? Or will it only roll for one of the skills, or can you not have two Activation skills at once?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Neo_Crimson posted:

I've found that when you reach the final chapter, your team will be level 40-50 or so if you do all the gaidens. If you save some of the gaidens for postgame, it'll be lower.

e: ^^^ there's an internal list of what order it rolls for skills. I don't recall how it breaks ties, but generally, the less often a skill procs, the earlier it's rolled. So Letheality will get checked first, and then if it didn't proc, aether will be checked.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

To just talk about how insanely stacked you can build your own team, here are some mechanics that I've spoiler'd in case no one cares:

The Pair Up system can make for some hilariously one-sided battles.

To give an example, let's say I have a female Avatar with +Spd/-Def at S-rank support with Chrom. Given an Assassin Avatar (designated A) and a Great Lord Chrom with Dual Support+ skill (designated B), Chrom has a ~93% of Dual Striking per round.

This means that in a single battle, if you can double, the attack order could go:

A1, B1, Enemy, A2, B2

However, given Brave weapons, both Avatar and Chrom can attack twice per round:

A1, B1, B2, A2, B3, B4, Enemy, A3, B5, B6, A4, B7, B8

With the fact that Armsthrift could feasibly allow a lot of classes to use Brave weapons all day, and forging can give a +5 Mt, and that each of Avatar's attacks can proc a skill (Astra :supaburn:), you can wail on the enemy for a good long time. This sort of ties in why I love the battle scenes so much, as your units can end up hopping all over the place proc'ing anything under the sun.

This is all just theory-crafting about nerdy video game poo poo though. In practice, forging weapons can get really pricey and grinding units to get Armsthrift is kind of really tedious.
That said, some of the tail-end DLC looks to be insane.

Endorph posted:

Question. If you give a character, Say, Aether and lethality, will it roll once for Aether activation and once for Lethality activation? Or will it only roll for one of the skills, or can you not have two Activation skills at once?

It will roll for both, in order of least likely to most. In the case of a 50 skill unit with Lethality (Skill/4)% and Aether (Skill/2)%, it would roll:

(1) Lethality: 50/4 = 12.5% chance of proc'ing.

On the 87.5% chance it doens't proc Lethality, it will roll for Aether:

(2) Aether: 0.875 * (0.50/2) = 21.875% chance of proc'ing.

So, in total, you'll have a 34.375% chance of activating something.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 19, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

e: ^^^ there's an internal list of what order it rolls for skills. I don't recall how it breaks ties, but generally, the less often a skill procs, the earlier it's rolled. So Letheality will get checked first, and then if it didn't proc, aether will be checked.
Time to manipulate the pairings so that My Unit's son/daughter gets five activation skills. :getin:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I find that gold is easy enough to grind for in the postgame that it isn't significantly harder to just give each character multiple brave weapons. Even the hardest DLC map had the characters I leaned on the most only go through two (partially because attacking from range is important enough I couldn't just use braves everywhere). That said, the opportunity cost of armsthrift in the extreme DLC lategame probably exceeds its benefit.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

To just talk about how insanely stacked you can build your own team, here are some mechanics that I've spoiler'd in case no one cares:

Of course, poo poo like that can backfire if you're not careful. (DLC spoilers, I guess. Nothing big.)

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Is there anything to do in the postgame besides grind and play DLC maps?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Terper posted:

Of course, poo poo like that can backfire if you're not careful. (DLC spoilers, I guess. Nothing big.)

This is what I love (about the later DLC in particular), is that despite how powerful you can build up your own guys, Fire Emblem will still be Fire Emblem and punch you in the dick.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slate Action posted:

There are a couple of postgame maps built in I'm pretty sure.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Slate Action posted:

There are several sidequests, unlocked via Spotpass, which are unavailable until postgame. Each of them has a character to recruit, as well.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Can someone elaborate on the 'recruiting your own children' thing? Are they born 15 years old and combat ready? How does this work?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Miftan posted:

Can someone elaborate on the 'recruiting your own children' thing? Are they born 15 years old and combat ready? How does this work?

Spoilers. So much spoilers I won't even put it into tags. Go to Serenes if you really want to know now.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 20, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The plot of the game involves time travel. The kids come from the future.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Miftan posted:

Can someone elaborate on the 'recruiting your own children' thing? Are they born 15 years old and combat ready?

Just like in one of my Japanese Animes!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 20, 2013

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Dr Pepper posted:

The plot of the game involves time travel. The kids come from the future.

I read the first half of that and went NOPE. Thanks anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Terper posted:

That's the Exp Farming DLC, isn't it?

It was also hilarious to watch!

• Locked thread