Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

woodenchicken posted:

So according to a wiki, Atlus were about to take the servers offline last May, but then decided to keep them around a while longer. Anyone know what their current plans are, have they made any statements recently?

Current official statement is that the servers are on indefinitely. So until further notice, online is still a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Great! And a digital release probably means there'll be a bunch of new people populating the world.
I just got a PS3, and learning that there was a chance of DS basically getting nuked was worrying. I am going to savour this.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's some people who are charmingly new to the game putting their signs down for co-op. It's a lot of fun because the week I got the game(like a month ago) every single person I encountered in any context was clearly a competitive Demon's Souls player with 2000 hours played, except for the guy that the game summoned for the Old Monk fight who I crushed. It's kind of fitting that for invasions the black phantom would be some horrible nightmare, but when I summon people it's kind of a disappointment when they're so good and so practiced that they literally just do the fight for me.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Should I be worrying about my intelligence stat? I'm starting to get more spells which is why I ask.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Should I be worrying about my intelligence stat? I'm starting to get more spells which is why I ask.

Just get how many slots you need to use all the poo poo you want, unless you're going pure Insanity mage or something like that. 4 slots is generally enough for most characters. Although, a couple spells have 200 MP costs, so you'd need to get up to 30 INT just to cast them.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alabaster White posted:

Just get how many slots you need to use all the poo poo you want, unless you're going pure Insanity mage or something like that. 4 slots is generally enough for most characters. Although, a couple spells have 200 MP costs, so you'd need to get up to 30 INT just to cast them.

Are those spells worth it to cast?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Alteisen posted:

Are those spells worth it to cast?

Depending on what you're doing with your game maybe. But really no they're not. 30 int is as high as anyone should ever really go.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Is the Epee Rapier a good main weapon, and if so what are its optimal stats? IDK how viable hybrids are in DeS but it seems like it might be viable.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Before I stopped playing yesterday I picked up the Sword of Moonlight, and I got super excited because the MLGS in Dark Souls was my jam. Then I looked at the stats and realized it requires FTH. :(

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Its a great weapon for a faith build yeah. Did you level int or what?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Yeah, I started with the I the intention of replicating a DEX/INT build from DkS, so I haven't even touched FTH yet. I'm attempting my first play through as blind as possible, so I haven't like into what weapons are around. I just saw an awesome sword stuck in the ground, and then got real excited when I pulled it out and saw the name.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Int is pretty useless in demons so just put it at 18 max and forget about it. If you intend to use spells at all.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I'm still in love with this game but feel slightly weird not buying Dark Souls/wanting to play it. Now that DS2 is coming out there's no chance of me playing it, and it always got the vibe that it was just a little bit too much with the annoyance, unlike where Demon Soul's the potential is obviously there for the annoyance but it wasn't as mandatory. I need to get on my DBS character.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Get Dark Souls anyways, you're missing out on a great game.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

knox posted:

it always got the vibe that it was just a little bit too much with the annoyance, unlike where Demon Soul's the potential is obviously there for the annoyance but it wasn't as mandatory.
What does that even mean?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

knox posted:

I'm still in love with this game but feel slightly weird not buying Dark Souls/wanting to play it. Now that DS2 is coming out there's no chance of me playing it, and it always got the vibe that it was just a little bit too much with the annoyance, unlike where Demon Soul's the potential is obviously there for the annoyance but it wasn't as mandatory. I need to get on my DBS character.

Demon's souls has way more things that are an outright pain in the rear end than Dark Souls. If you're worried about annoyances, you picked the wrong game in this series as the only one you play.

However I can't really imagine there's anyone who loves one of these games that wouldn't also love the other.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nm

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 20, 2013

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

FrickenMoron posted:

Int is pretty useless in demons so just put it at 18 max and forget about it. If you intend to use spells at all.

I'm already way past that, but yeah I won't be putting in more points.

knox posted:

I can't understand what you're trying to say here so I'll just say that you should go play Dark Souls, it's an excellent game. I think I'm a bit biased since I started with Dark and then went to Demon's, but I think Dark is better in a lot of ways. Personal preference aside, they are both amazing games.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You can always devlevel infinitely as long as you dont mind getting pure black soul tendency. Except vit, that never goes away.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Emalde posted:

Is the Epee Rapier a good main weapon, and if so what are its optimal stats? IDK how viable hybrids are in DeS but it seems like it might be viable.

Epee is inferior to the Estoc in pretty much every way.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Magic makes the boss of 5-2 kind of a wimp. His projectile attacks were easy to avoid for the most part (at some point they started homing in on me for some reason) and his punches never came close to me.

I can't wait to finish this game and start reading up on the lore and all the stuff I'm missing.

Onto 5-3, right after I see what I can do with this new soul...

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Dirty Colossus is weirdly easy even as melee as long as you have the right(widely available) item.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

EC posted:

Onto 5-3, right after I see what I can do with this new soul...

Turn up the volume on your tv.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Novum posted:

Turn up the volume on your tv.

Will do!

I finally got around to looking at the wiki to figure out how upgrades work. It seems like with my specs (20 DEX, 32 MAG) I should be using a Crescent weapon of some sort. As I was deciding on which to upgrade, I noticed I already had a crescent falchion in my storage. I don't even remember picking it up, so it was a nice surprise. I took it up to +4 and its doing very nicely. I was using a Dragon Long Sword +4 previously, and was ready for something new.

I also switched out my hard leather set for the Shaman's set and the assassin's mask. Looks balled as hell! The only other new armor I've picked up is for females only.

Edit: what should I be using for a shield at this point? I've been rocking the Rune shield since I got it, but it seems costly to upgrade. Should I just upgrade the heater shield?

EC fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 20, 2013

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Be human when you enter 5-3 or you'll miss out on some dialogue.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

EC posted:

Will do!

Edit: what should I be using for a shield at this point? I've been rocking the Rune shield since I got it, but it seems costly to upgrade. Should I just upgrade the heater shield?

Depending on if you've got 16 str of not, the shield you'll be wanting to use is right around the corner.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

knox posted:

Dark Souls is roughly ten times more player-friendly than Demon's Souls. If more people are complaining about the 'annoyance' in Dark Souls, that's because more people played it than Demon's Souls. There were frequent times in Demon's Souls where I felt the game was actually unpleasant to play. That didn't happen to me in Dark Souls.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Novum posted:

Epee is inferior to the Estoc in pretty much every way.

Even with a magic heavy build?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

EC posted:

Before I stopped playing yesterday I picked up the Sword of Moonlight, and I got super excited because the MLGS in Dark Souls was my jam. Then I looked at the stats and realized it requires FTH. :(

I'm using the Sword of Moonlight for the first time, FTH is 30. This might be the most OP weapon I've used in this game - all damage is magic and you can't block magic damage in DeS. It also staggers pretty well. I do have a Mirdan Hammer on its way to +5 Blessed, so we'll see how that compares.

The hold animation is great, where the inner, real sword is what rests on your shoulders while the moonlight bits pass through you safely. Nice detail.

e: +5 Blessed is better than +5

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 20, 2013

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Oh man, thanks for making me feel like a giant rear end in a top hat, Demon's Souls. What a bummer. I just walked up to the boss to talk and then-no I don't wanna talk about it. :smith:

Too bad I don't have 16 STR for that shield, it looks nice. I swapped out my helm and gauntlets for the Dark Silver pieces, and combined with the Shaman pieces I look hilarious and intimidating!

Oh, and CAUGHT THE PLAGUE was the most surprising thing ever. I expected and was prepared for poison, but nope! It's even worse that I saw a bunch of items in there so I'm going to have to go back in.

Edit: ha, that dude totally respawns, I didn't expect that. That was a surprise!

EC fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 20, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Emalde posted:

Better to go Estoc which is good either as Moon with minimal stats or Sharp with Dex build. It's the strongest back stabber in Demons Souls and has a decent shield poke (though the best shield poker in Demons is the moon winged spear).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I have tried to beat 1-4 for the last 3 hours. Between the red eye knights and the dragon, I've only made it to the boss twice. :( I need to kill this loving dragon already. I started making a sticky bow, but I'm broke and have used all my consumable soul items already.

I think I'm going to take a break. I was trying to power through since this is the only level I haven't beaten yet, but it will just have to wait until tomorrow.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

knox posted:

DS2 is probably over a year away.

Dark Souls is seriously the tits and the DLC that was released for it has what most people will say some of the most fun bosses of Demon's and Dark Souls.

You'll love the atmosphere of Dark Souls.

Edit: There is no reason that the release of Dark Souls II should invalidate Dark Souls I. Both games are going to have some unique experiences, environments, weapons, and boss fights. Hell it's almost worth it for the Artorias of the Abyss content alone.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 20, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

EC posted:

I have tried to beat 1-4 for the last 3 hours. Between the red eye knights and the dragon, I've only made it to the boss twice. :( I need to kill this loving dragon already. I started making a sticky bow, but I'm broke and have used all my consumable soul items already.

I think I'm going to take a break. I was trying to power through since this is the only level I haven't beaten yet, but it will just have to wait until tomorrow.

My first time through I killed that dragon, not because of the staircase part, but because he and the minister on the bridge kept loving me.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

EC posted:

Yo, what SL are you? I can waste that dragon for you.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Novum posted:

Yo, what SL are you? I can waste that dragon for you.

68, I think. I'd love some help on the dragon, man. I'll be on tomorrow evening for sure, and then randomly throughout the week.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Yon dargon dies on teh morrow.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yo you gunna lazer his head

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Its actually rather easy to walk past the dragon. On the stairs to the boss his breath goes from left to right and right to left. You can run through it that way once you know one side is safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

FrickenMoron posted:

Its actually rather easy to walk past the dragon. On the stairs to the boss his breath goes from left to right and right to left. You can run through it that way once you know one side is safe.

That's an excellent tip! Still, having a DeS pro come in and kill the thing for me will be satisfying as well. :)

I took a look through the platinum trophy guide guide this morning and holy poo poo, this looks hard as hell. Is this guide the most accurate/up to date? I'm planning on collecting as much as possible in this run, but I'm going to ignore miracles as I want to do a STR/FTH run for that.

• Locked thread