Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Another reason to be excited for Forza 5; the new Corvette is sexy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Switch the badge with a prancing horse and no one would be the wiser!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Another reason to be excited for Forza 5; the new Corvette is sexy as gently caress.

e: disregard, I'm a dummy!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Move over, Ferrari.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I said come in! posted:

I'm still iffy about the back but overall I think it's sexy as gently caress. First Corvette that isn't mind numbingly dull looking.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Switch the badge with a prancing horse and no one would be the wiser!

They'd get suspicious when it didn't burst into flame or require 30k mile timing belt changes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If for some reason you are still holding onto your copy of Gran Turismo 5, the new Vette is available for a free download starting tomorrow. Sony has a timed exclusive with this car.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Last week during GTCC, I tried to use my mic with my CSR, but it apparently made some awful noises for the people in the lobby. I have the little 6inch adapter thing plugged in, but maybe it doesn't plug in all the way... gonna take apart the little plastic thingee at the end of the mic cable and see if that'll help, otherwise I'm rocking the controller again.

Captain Howdy and I will be in matching liveries this week, in our Class Warfare spec.

(with Howdy's name and number on here instead of mine)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Fanatec wheels HATE wired microphones. Use a wireless one in conjunction with the wheel. Trust me, you won't find a wired solution. I've tried.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I agree, there's nothing you can do with a wired microphone. It will randomly echo while your mic is on, it will always echo when your mic is muted. Just get a wireless headset. The sound quality is better, and my only complaint is the microphone is too sensitive. I have to turn my speakers way down otherwise people complain about hearing my sound and they probably think I'm an rear end in a top hat that uses kinect.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I'd turn the headset to mute when not needing to speak, and unmute on straights as the button is easy to reach on the side of the headset... but it beeps at you to tell you that the mic is muted, which is just daft.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Falken posted:

I'd turn the headset to mute when not needing to speak, and unmute on straights as the button is easy to reach on the side of the headset... but it beeps at you to tell you that the mic is muted, which is just daft.
But don't you mostly need to talk during turns? Straights are usually fairly without incident and corners are where people go "Watch out! poo poo! Sorry!"

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

I said come in! posted:

oh gently caress yea!!!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

I agree, there's nothing you can do with a wired microphone. It will randomly echo while your mic is on, it will always echo when your mic is muted.

Yeah, the problem is Fanatec have to use the Xbox approved piece of hardware for the mic port, which has no shielding from the massive electrical motors in the wheel. So the buzz and echo happens. Even the official MS Wireless Wheel has the same problem.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, the problem is Fanatec have to use the Xbox approved piece of hardware for the mic port, which has no shielding from the massive electrical motors in the wheel. So the buzz and echo happens. Even the official MS Wireless Wheel has the same problem.

I've heard this several times but it still sounds like bullshit. sure, you have to use the approved piece of hardware but that doesn't preclude you from putting shielding around it after the fact. It's just cheapness.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Makes sense, build a $500 toy wheel using expensive and quality parts throughout the rest of its construction, but that $0.25 worth of profit margin by not insulating the headphone port sufficiently was totally worth it. No one will pay $500.25 for a toy wheel. Do it on all of our Xbox wheels immediately, we can blame Microsoft

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Dear Rainwave,
This is Captain Howdy 0.
I am writing to you in the wrong thread because I do not know where you are; but I have something I want you to see and take with you and when you are off on your Nippon adventure, please think of me, and think well of me. This is for you, good sir:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Why hasn't any alternative to Forza popped up for PC? There's no chance of 5 for that platform I assume. Super depressing when I have a nice gaming PC and screen.

There's Project CARS but it seems so different..

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 21, 2013

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Probably mainly because of the massive budget it requires.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lots of good racing games coming out this year, but still nothing that I think will ever grab me in the same way Forza 4 does. FM4 is my favorite video game ever. Unironically mean that. Don't forget though, Forza 5 will be out this year.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Launch title for the new xbox I assume? I do hope Microsoft doesn't try to publish it for both systems.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
f5 should be a new Xbox launch title, although we haven't really heard anything about a new Forza yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I assume (well, hope) all the "house" developers are getting their dev hardware and are quietly cranking out code to make some launch titles.

But I don't expect anything truly great until the fall of 2014.. assuming the new xbox does in fact launch late this year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can actually see Forza 5 coming out shortly after the next system (so real early 2014). I don't see it being a 360 title though, that seems like a real bad idea.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it is a 360 title, I'll blow up Microsoft.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maybe it can work on the 360, I mean i'm still being surprised by the system, but man it really doesn't seem like a good idea. Didn't Turn-10 talk about Forza 4 pushing the system to its limits?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Dear Rainwave,
This is Captain Howdy 0.
I am writing to you in the wrong thread because I do not know where you are; but I have something I want you to see and take with you and when you are off on your Nippon adventure, please think of me, and think well of me. This is for you, good sir:

I missed this!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

So pretty. :swoon:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Maybe it can work on the 360, I mean i'm still being surprised by the system, but man it really doesn't seem like a good idea. Didn't Turn-10 talk about Forza 4 pushing the system to its limits?

Horizon had to drop to 30fps just to add the things it did. They are already pushing as much out of the 360 as is likely possible.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Michael Scott posted:

Why hasn't any alternative to Forza popped up for PC? There's no chance of 5 for that platform I assume. Super depressing when I have a nice gaming PC and screen.

There's Project CARS but it seems so different..

Need For Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed is about as close as you'll get on PC. And if you ignore the "Need For Speed" name it's actually pretty good. It's not as good as Forza 4 but it's got a decent selection of cars that you can upgrade and tune and it has a lot of the same tracks as Forza (and a few that I really wish were in Forza, one of which is Spa)

It's $20 on Origin I think and all the DLC was released free for PC (the DLC wasn't free for consoles)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

Forza 3 pushed the system drat near its limits; Forza 4 must have had some kind of wizard code it to run on the 360. There really isn't anything else they could do with a new Forza title on the 360 except more cars and tracks on a second disc. On the other hand, I'm satisfied enough with how Forza 4 plays that more tracks are really all I ask of the series at this point anyway (the current lineup is very stale to me), so maybe a new Forza on the 360 wouldn't be the end of the world.

That said, I'm sure there will be a new Xbox this year and that Forza 5 will be a launch title. Microsoft would be crazy to keep the 360 going at this point with how much the old, outdated hardware is holding back game development for it. Then again, I said the same thing this time last year and yet here we are v:v:v

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A lot of the tracks in Shift 2 though are way off. Spa and Bathurst for example are completely wrong.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Cannot Find Server posted:

Forza 3 pushed the system drat near its limits; Forza 4 must have had some kind of wizard code it to run on the 360. There really isn't anything else they could do with a new Forza title on the 360 except more cars and tracks on a second disc. On the other hand, I'm satisfied enough with how Forza 4 plays that more tracks are really all I ask of the series at this point anyway (the current lineup is very stale to me), so maybe a new Forza on the 360 wouldn't be the end of the world.

That said, I'm sure there will be a new Xbox this year and that Forza 5 will be a launch title. Microsoft would be crazy to keep the 360 going at this point with how much the old, outdated hardware is holding back game development for it. Then again, I said the same thing this time last year and yet here we are v:v:v

Yeah, it's Forza 2 all over again. I can't help but wonder if they've been dragging their feet about adding or changing things in 4 to try and get us on Horizon. They could at least put all the tracks in the hopper rotation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there any game besides Forza that's trying to push the limits of the system? I'm pretty sure the call of duties are just fine making GBS threads out another game every year without making it look any better than the last one. And other sports games have been getting on just fine. Microsoft is probably hoping they can keep not making a new system and trick people into buying less system intensive kinect games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The CoD games do seem to get much better looking each year. There is a big difference in quality between Black Ops and Black Ops 2 anyways. I was thinking about this earlier today, and the conclusion i've come to is that if Call of Duty can get away with like 8 titles on the Xbox 360, why can't Forza? Still doesn't mean I want another Forza game on the 360 though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What can they improve in Forza on the 360? They've already squeezed so much out of the system. All they can really add is more cars and more tracks. Forza 3 really should have been the last Forza game on 360. Somehow they made 4. I don't see how 5 could get much better without more powerful hardware.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's not like the graphics really need to be any better. They can do more to simulate what real world racing is like, and I don't mean just in the way cars behave. But like more realistic tire/fuel wear, pit stops, championships having practice and qualifying, things like that. I want a real world racing mode.

Things like weather and night time are gimmicks at best in racing sims. We really don't need that stuff in my opinion.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, there needs to be a better "This is my driver. I am him" RPG element to the career progression, and this game would be nearly perfect. Also a super-hardcore mode where wheels are 1:1, you can stall your car and have random failures based on your team's engineering and tech levels.

More tracks, more ability to create customized rivals events. Why can't I have a specific car challenge on the 'Ring that my friends have to try and beat? Minor stuff for the most part though, the driving feel here is about as good as it gets on the fun-to-realism venn diagram. Hopefully the new console will allow designers to add back more of the classic game features that recent games (games in general, not Forza) seem to have neglected in favor of another level of Anti Aliasing instead.

Night and weather are cute but ultimately not necessary in racing sims. No one likes to race in those conditions in real life, no one likes to race them in games. It's a lot of wasted development time for a feature that most users check out once or twice and quickly get tired of.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, there needs to be a better "This is my driver. I am him" RPG element to the career progression, and this game would be nearly perfect. Also a super-hardcore mode where wheels are 1:1, you can stall your car and have random failures based on your team's engineering and tech levels.
If they add anything like this, there is a fine line to straddle between fun and grind. See: GT5. I think the balance of Forza between Simulation and Arcade, as far as the world tour/career mode goes, definitely shades a good bit toward the Arcade side, but that's why I bought the game.

quote:

More tracks, more ability to create customized rivals events. Why can't I have a specific car challenge on the 'Ring that my friends have to try and beat? Minor stuff for the most part though, the driving feel here is about as good as it gets on the fun-to-realism venn diagram. Hopefully the new console will allow designers to add back more of the classic game features that recent games (games in general, not Forza) seem to have neglected in favor of another level of Anti Aliasing instead.
I'm with you here. Hell, even if they only gave you one custom Rivals event per Club that you could change whenever you wanted that would be a neat thing. One other thing I would like is a local leaderboard. In GT4 the game tracked your top 10(?) times on each track. The way it stands on Forza, it only tracks your one fastest lap. It's neat to track different cars/builds. And then the online part can just track your fastest lap so they don't have to worry about more server space.

quote:

Night and weather are cute but ultimately not necessary in racing sims. No one likes to race in those conditions in real life, no one likes to race them in games. It's a lot of wasted development time for a feature that most users check out once or twice and quickly get tired of.
I agree that night and weather are more of a thing that's cool for a minute but are more gimmicky in the end. Also who needs more stuff to make online lobbies full of more crashes?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I said come in! posted:

It's not like the graphics really need to be any better. They can do more to simulate what real world racing is like, and I don't mean just in the way cars behave. But like more realistic tire/fuel wear, pit stops, championships having practice and qualifying, things like that. I want a real world racing mode.

Things like weather and night time are gimmicks at best in racing sims. We really don't need that stuff in my opinion.

If you haven't, consider checking out iRacing. It's online-only, takes safe racing very seriously, and is way more "sim" than Forza, including four tournament seasons per year with qualifying and everything. I've pretty much stopped playing Forza and just do iRacing now.

Downsides include it's PC-only, has a subscription fee, new content is moderately expensive, and it is significantly degraded if you don't have a wheel (I don't have a wheel).

(If Windows isn't your bag, it runs great in Wine.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

iRacing is seriously awesome, but it's crazy expensive. I haven't played it in a while, but will return to it again eventually.

• Locked thread