Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
David Cross pulled a dove out of Phil Hartmans pocket.

You're argument is invalid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think you misunderstood what I said. I wasn't asking for facts. Allow me to introduce you to Newsradio.

You're welcome.

I love NewsRadio and remember that scene, I just thought the comment was directed at me :3:

Although now that you've posted that I need to start yet another NewsRadio marathon.

Also, that Armillo game looks nifty. If it doesn't get through Greenlight I'll probably pick up the Wii U version (provided they don't make it control with the gyroscope or something equally dumb).

e: The devs did a pretty interesting interview on the game and it's development history: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/01/developer_interview_fuzzy_wuzzy_games_talks_armillo_and_developing_for_the_wii_u_eshop

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 18, 2013

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Stealthed Zombie posted:

I'm really enjoying Tekken Tag Tournament 2 so far. Also Warriors Orochi 3.

What's the Online scene like in TTT2? I might hop on and fight some dudes, it'll be nice if they're all not like crazy good because I'm not either and getting constantly stomped would be THE WORST.

Online is kinda wonky for me, but I am in Europe so it might be because we have fewer players.

Ranked matches will have you face everything from players that destroy you perfect 3 times in a row to those who don't have hands and use their nose to press buttons. The matchmaking is really bad, or there are just no players. It is not rare to play against the same 2 people for hours on end, simply because there is nobody else. Expect to see Devil Jin, Angel and Kazuya about 80% of the time doing nothing but laser spams. Yes, you can easily dodge them, but it simply isn't fun. There are also a lot of cheap tactics here, because people only care about wins. It can get a bit frustrating if you care too much about rank. I've had more than one person adding me as a "friend" in the Miiverse and sending nasty messages because I knew how to block the one combo they mastered and spammed.

Friendly has more people playing, but without the (broken) matchmaking system from Ranked at least trying to check for someone around your level you run into a lot more bad players. This is mostly because this mode is for learning new characters, trying Tekken online for the first time, etc. You can choose a rematch here, so if you finally found someone nice to play with it could last a few rounds.

Once again, this is Europe so it might just be the small playerbase.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Hopefully this question hasn't been beaten to death. I had a Wii for a long time and amassed a nice collection of Virtual Console games. I sold the Wii a couple years ago, now I have the Wii U. Will I be able to get the VC games that I purchased on the Wii, in Wii mode?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bradzilla posted:

Hopefully this question hasn't been beaten to death. I had a Wii for a long time and amassed a nice collection of Virtual Console games. I sold the Wii a couple years ago, now I have the Wii U. Will I be able to get the VC games that I purchased on the Wii, in Wii mode?

You sold the Wii with the VC games before transferring them so no.

Just curious, when you sold the Wii, was the VC games being included a selling point?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Nope, I wiped the system before I sold it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bradzilla posted:

That's... odd.

When I sold my 3DS, the downloaded games were definitely a way for me to sell it for $10 more.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Is the store broken right now? The main page loads fine for me, but whenever I click on an item to go to its page, it just loads blank. I got frustrated after Dynasty Warriors hardlocked on me and wanted to check out the Sonic Racing demo :mad:.

EDIT: I had to reboot the app a few times, but it finally started working. Odd.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 19, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Agrias120 posted:

Is the store broken right now? The main page loads fine for me, but whenever I click on an item to go to its page, it just loads blank. I got frustrated after Dynasty Warriors hardlocked on me and wanted to check out the Sonic Racing demo :mad:.

EDIT: I had to reboot the app a few times, but it finally started working. Odd.

Just treat the Wii-U like you did when you had Windows XP.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Re: TT2 online

It's probably the same issue that Black Ops II is having: most people bought it for a console they already had, so the online player pool is small. It didn't help that the game was out for a month or two before the WiiU came out. Then there's the issue of fight sticks and trophies/achievements. I'll rent the WiiU version just to see the fun Nintendo items, but I've got too much invested in the PS3 version already to switch. If you're only going to play it on the U though, it's got plenty of offline stuff to keep you occupied as well.

I feel bad that my U is just kinda collecting dust right now. I got burned out on NSMBU and haven't touched ZombiU in a month, and Nintendo Land kept freezing on me so I was scared to play it for any length of time. Right now I'm just waiting for the next wave of games to come around. Monster Hunter, Pikmin, and Wonderful 101 will keep me going for a good while. I'm not regretting my purchase at all, I've just got a glut of other games to play on my PS3 so the U is getting neglected for now.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

bradzilla posted:

Sorry to say this but, yeah, there's no way you're getting those games back. Unless perchance you had a homebrew NAND back-up on an SD card. And are willing to run Homebrew on the Wii U in Wii mode.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Static Rook posted:

Re: TT2 online

It's probably the same issue that Black Ops II is having: most people bought it for a console they already had, so the online player pool is small. It didn't help that the game was out for a month or two before the WiiU came out. Then there's the issue of fight sticks and trophies/achievements. I'll rent the WiiU version just to see the fun Nintendo items, but I've got too much invested in the PS3 version already to switch. If you're only going to play it on the U though, it's got plenty of offline stuff to keep you occupied as well.

I actually might pick it up on PS3 as well, as a friend of mine really enjoyed the time we spent playing when she came to visit, but she only has a PS3. But yeah that makes sense in the online portion. I don't care too much about rank so maybe I'll just hop on and dick around for a bit and see how I fare.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bradzilla posted:

Wiping doesn't mean a thing. VC purchases are tied to the system. The new owner just connects to the store and downloads them again.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Gamestop is saying March 26 for Pandora's Tower, $39.99. Not confirmed, obviously, but they had the right date for Soul Hackers a month or two before it was officially confirmed, so we don't really have a reason not to believe it yet.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Finally got to the last level in NsMBU and was disappointed to learn that it wasn't a super difficult level like Galaxy 2's The Perfect Run or 3D Land's last level.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Is anyone else annoyed by whatever that port is at the bottom of the Wii U controller? I use the controller from a couch and I must tend to build up static electricity -- whenever I have to turn the remote sideways, or just happen to touch the port by accident, I get a shock. I must have shorted it out by now. Why does it not have some kind of cover?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

That Turkey Story posted:

Is anyone else annoyed by whatever that port is at the bottom of the Wii U controller? I use the controller from a couch and I must tend to build up static electricity -- whenever I have to turn the remote sideways, or just happen to touch the port by accident, I get a shock. I must have shorted it out by now. Why does it not have some kind of cover?

Odd, I don't think that's ever happened to me to be honest.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
About the only thing I am annoyed about now with the system, aside from a lack of games, is this ridiculous rattle inside the gamepad. I used to think it was one of the shoulder buttons or the stylus inside it's holder, which it turns out it isn't. So when I move the gamepad back and forth I get this annoying small rattle, like it is just very cheaply made/designed.

I played more with my Wii U this weekend simply because I wanted to get back into Xenoblade. And I am glad I gave Nintendo land a harder look. Those are some very addicting side games - and I like the Plinko effect reward system to get cool stuff for my theme park. Tvii has a lto of possibilities. This weekend was the 1st I had turned on my Wii U in about a month, so I had some updating to do. Tagging on the NFL playoffs was a fun way to interact with others, and they had some really good pictures of the game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Utnayan posted:

About the only thing I am annoyed about now with the system, aside from a lack of games, is this ridiculous rattle inside the gamepad. I used to think it was one of the shoulder buttons or the stylus inside it's holder, which it turns out it isn't. So when I move the gamepad back and forth I get this annoying small rattle, like it is just very cheaply made/designed.

I played more with my Wii U this weekend simply because I wanted to get back into Xenoblade. And I am glad I gave Nintendo land a harder look. Those are some very addicting side games - and I like the Plinko effect reward system to get cool stuff for my theme park. Tvii has a lto of possibilities. This weekend was the 1st I had turned on my Wii U in about a month, so I had some updating to do. Tagging on the NFL playoffs was a fun way to interact with others, and they had some really good pictures of the game.

It's the stylus.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

greatn posted:

It's the stylus.

It isn't. I took the Stylus out and it still makes that sound.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Utnayan posted:

For me, the stylus was the biggest offender. I found that taking it out gets rid of most of the rattles, but the shoulder buttons also rattle a little.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Utnayan posted:

I figured it out that it's the ABXY buttons, they are kinda loose so they easily shift if you move the gamepad.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 21, 2013

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Ok I am good with all those as long as it isn't a piece of electronics in the gamepad just waiting to falter :)

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Finally got to the last level in NsMBU and was disappointed to learn that it wasn't a super difficult level like Galaxy 2's The Perfect Run or 3D Land's last level.

Have you done all of the ones on Superstar Road? I have access to all of them now, but have only beat 4 of them while getting all three stars. Such a PITA that they don't have checkpoints.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Hooked up a 1TB drive to the Wii U last week and as an experiment purchased the Rabbids game from the eStore. It literally took 24 hours to download. I understand that these games are a lot bigger than anything you could purchase from the Wii Shop Channel, but as a comparison, last year there was a 30GB update to a PC software product I own, which took only 3 hours to download- and I believe the content server was in Germany (I'm in NW USA).

Since I'm doubting Rabbids Land is a 240GB title, I'm beginning to wonder if there's a problem with the eStore, or Nintendo downloads in general? The initial Wii U system update took two hours to download the day I set it up; don't know how big the update was, though.

For what it's worth I'm using a DNS server that's geographically close to my location, since Akamai customers, like Apple, select your download server based on where your DNS is.

Anyway- anyone else seen extremely long download times for system updates and eStore purchases?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yes it takes forever I was hoping that my problems were due to being around launch but it looks like it hasn't gotten better. Even worse when the download errors out wanting you to start from scratch and wait another day.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I don't have a Wii U but I recently downloaded Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone on 3DS, a game that's only 506 MB, and it took literally three hours to download. I have no idea why Nintendo's servers are so awful, but for me it's just another reason to stick with physical copies of games.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Is there any way to update the Wii without using Nintendo's servers? (Like, downloading it on the PC and using homebrew to install it or something)

After a month of trying off and on and various troubleshooting, I've determined that my error code 32007 is unsolvable with any advice the internet has to offer and I just want to update my Wii so I can transfer my things to my Wii U. My Wii goes online just fine, so I'm sure I could complete the transfer process if I was at the right system version, it simply refuses to connect to the update server.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, you can download Wii updates on PC and install 'em via SD card. The easiest* way to do this is to download Modmii for PC, punch in your Wii system paramaters (region, current firmware version, whether or not you have particular homebrew-related files installed, etc) and it'll download everything you need to install in order to update your console without removing/disabling homebrew.

*there may be an even easier way, I'm kinda out of the loop

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The Cave is out this week. If you're curious about it, Ron Gilbert visited Giant Bomb and showed off like an hour of the game.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-the-cave/17-6970/

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I don't have a Wii U but I recently downloaded Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone on 3DS, a game that's only 506 MB, and it took literally three hours to download. I have no idea why Nintendo's servers are so awful, but for me it's just another reason to stick with physical copies of games.
3DS isn't always that bad. It's a crap shoot, but sometimes you get downloads at a decent clip. But the Wii U it's just ridiculous. You think with their fourth go at it they'd be able to gauge the demand on their servers a bit better.

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007

TechnoSyndrome posted:

The last time I did a download was for the sonic racing demo and I think it took an hour or two and my typical download speed is anywhere from 5-15 Mbps - so definitely longer than it should take. Still, there's no way I would ever buy a physical copy of a game when I could download it; even if it took me a day or two to download a game, it's worth it to me to avoid the hassle of having to switch discs. I hate having to rely on discs to play my old Wii games and would gladly pay for another copy of BLOPS II if I could get it from the eShop. Disc swapping is so 5 years ago and it kills me that they can't come to agreements with all of their third parties to put every game on the eShop.

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007

Crowbear posted:

The Cave is out this week. If you're curious about it, Ron Gilbert visited Giant Bomb and showed off like an hour of the game.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-the-cave/17-6970/

This looks pretty great for only $15, will have to pick it up tomorrow!

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
I want two games from the Wii U
Luigi's Mansion: Not Dark Moon or a least just on the Wii U so I can feel like a ghostbuster while aiming the gamepad at stuff (no tv needed!).
Tech demo Zelda graphics for a link to the past 3d remake.
I'm talking same game but 3d (and filled out for 3d because obviously the overworld would be sparse in 3d). WW, TP, and SS all had the same problem: not enough dungeons. I want to go after Zelda in the rain in 3d LTTP Hyrule. I want to use the game pad to do actual puzzles on doors and aim my arrows. I want to pull the gamepad around to change my weapons then bust out a wiimote to murder a moblin. I want a glorious 3d bombos animation and I want to 1:1 control the magic hammer, sword, and shield. I want to fight and solve through a dungeon and face a beautiful hd Moldorm in a frantic fight and a helmasaur king that makes me poo poo my pants. Finally, I want to have the option to walk in place to make link move or just use a controller for everything. I fully expect this to never happen. I just really want a 3d 3rd person LTTP.

LTTP remains to this day my favorite game of all time and "at the time". Art style, difficulty (self imposed or otherwise), and boss fights, world map, everything.

While many review sites and "best" lists and people here also share the same opinion, and Nintendo has done a 2d remake-ish of it, moving it to 3d with the style of that tech demo would be amazing. And no, I don't want a remake for MM.

Sorry for the post quality. Mobile devices are hard.

Magnatux fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 21, 2013

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

JohnnyWarbucks posted:

Still, there's no way I would ever buy a physical copy of a game when I could download it; even if it took me a day or two to download a game, it's worth it to me to avoid the hassle of having to switch discs. I hate having to rely on discs to play my old Wii games and would gladly pay for another copy of BLOPS II if I could get it from the eShop. Disc swapping is so 5 years ago and it kills me that they can't come to agreements with all of their third parties to put every game on the eShop.
I agree 100%, so long as it's something linked to a personal account (like on the Wii U or Steam) and not to a single physical device (like the Wii). The original Wii's online experience is so awful it almost seems intentional, like "What is the most annoying possible way we could do this thing?"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The thing about pre-launch tech demos is that they either show something insanely good that will never happen, or they show something that will be massively improved upon as the years go by.

I think the PS1 had some kind of Dinosaur tech demo that showed a jaw-dropping (at the time) t-rex, it was scary detailed and smoothly animated. 5 years of 3D PS1 games looking like total dogshit later, we saw that the tech demo was bullshit. N64 was pretty much the opposite with really ugly Zelda tech demos.

Either way, it's inaccurate. Pikmin 3 looks really loving good but we won't see what the system is really capable of until a couple of years into its lifespan.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I would only buy a game digital that I know I will never want to trade in to Gamestop. A game I'm sure I'll replay. You know, Mario games, Zelda.. pretty much exclusively Nintendo games.

And then I go and buy NSMB2 on 3DS digitally, and... bleh. I wouldn't mind trading that game in.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I hope Monster Hunter will be available digitally. I know I'll never return that and if I do it'll be when the game is worth 20 bucks three years from now (doubt it, played MHTri until the U came out).

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Your daily reminder that Nintendo is bad at Internet has arrived!

Wii Shop purchases don't get Club Nintendo coins through Wii U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I was wondering why a couple things I had gotten didn't show up there yet. Seriously, how hard could this be? They seen to really be struggling extraordinarily with this.

• Locked thread