Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I never watch Netflix on my computer, but I do see the Super HD logo on a bunch of stuff through my PS3. I've heard other people on Windows 7 also say they don't have access to it, so that's likely it. Sorry, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
I think the HD streaming I get now is just fine but I was all excited about the possibility of better quality. Then I read that it's not available if you live in a lovely city and I was sad.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Grabulon posted:

For those of you who have gotten Super HD to work, are you using Windows 8? https://signup.netflix.com/superhd says:

"Netflix Super HD will be available on PS3, WiiU, Windows 8, Roku, Apple TVs with 1080p, and select smart TVs and Blu-Ray players. More devices coming soon."

and it says my ISP supports it, but I haven't found any movies which use it, and I'm wondering if it's because I'm on Windows 7. I even tried spoofing my user agent, which also didn't work.

If it's any consolation, my ISP is supported, I'm on win 8 and I still haven't found any super HD titles.

Batui
Mar 13, 2005

Hope it's okay it's not Netflix, but over on Hulu they've made 10 Masaki Kobayashi movies available for free until next Sunday. It includes his four Criterion releases, two movies from his upcoming Eclipse release (Black River and I Will Buy You) and 4 others. All of the Criterion ones are great (of course they're the only ones I've seen yet), the best being Harakiri, which is probably in my top ten movies of all time.

And as I'm on the subject, do people here know about how Criterion has been placing its movies on the free side of Hulu? Every friday 5-10 movies that share a common theme are made available until the following weekend is over. Right now there are the Kobayashi movies and six aviation movies. A poster here alerted me to it last awards season, but I haven't seen much about it since.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I am 30 minutes into Butter. I can recommend this movie 100% even though there is an hour left.

EDIT:

Aw. The ending. :3

Tennis Ball fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 19, 2013

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

hope and vaseline posted:

If it's any consolation, my ISP is supported, I'm on win 8 and I still haven't found any super HD titles.

Supposedly it's the Win8 Netflix app that has support for Super HD, not the website.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Grabulon posted:

Supposedly it's the Win8 Netflix app that has support for Super HD, not the website.

Hurr, thanks for the tip! Never thought about using the app, it's actually pretty slick.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Few recommendations that I think have all been said before, but they're worth mentioning again:

-Bread and Tulips - quiet, fun Italian movie about an unhappy housewife who gets left behind by a tour bus and builds a new life for herself in Venice.

-Antics Roadshow - TV special directed by Banksy. Not the masterpiece that Exit Through the Giftshop was, but still a fun overview of different ways people make trouble on the streets, from political activists doing brave and serious things, to idiots who annoy people in the hope of being beat up on camera.

-Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - One of the best action movies in years. You don't have to see the other MI movies to get this (I haven't). Just a series of clever and well-executed action sequences, one after another pretty much from start to finish.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

See Mission Impossible 2 for this scene
http://youtu.be/AzIQg6Ly_Rw and you can see the impact that killed John Woo in the eyes of so many childhoods.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Xena: Warrior Princess has been added.

132 glorious episodes.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Wow, Lockdown. I felt out of breath from how fast that movie was. Guy Pearce was pretty good.

"Heres an apple and a gun. Don't talk to strangers, just shoot them."

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Watched Hell, a German post-apocalyptic film about the temperature of earth rising. It was pretty well done and I really enjoyed it. My only thing is why the hell they didn't travel at night, it would have been much cooler and easier to do!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just watched , IRON SKY. http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Iron-Sky/70232039?trkid=1660&fdvd=true

Imagine Spaceballs but without the Star Wars jokes, better GFX and a decent story. Maybe a B-version of The 5th Element? Nazis travel to the moon, fast forward to today, our president is a Sarah Palin lookalike who sends another moon mission for improved ratings, they discover the nazis, and HILARITY ENSUES!

I went in expecting pure poo poo, I watched the whole thing and actually enjoyed it. Won't say it was the greatest poo poo I've ever watched, but it's better than most the free streaming poo poo I've seen on Netflix lately.

Oh - also - we just finished watching the first season of Once. (we = the wife, kids and me). Talk about a great idea jumping the goddamn shark. I realize the creators of Lost were attached to this, but surely they could have learned from their mistakes by now. Or gently caress it - just admit "we really really liked Fantasy Island, where each week it's new characters and a new story". Crap. OH so much crap. The mayor/adoptive mom poisons her kid, meaning to poison the sheriff, who btw is the real mom, and the sheriff joins forces WITH the mayor to find a cure. Instead of beating the crap out of and/or arresting the mayor/adoptive mom? All the while, Rumplestiltskin does nothing but evil and yet somehow every single person wants to trust him? I'm a goddamn idiot.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 20, 2013

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

There is something profoundly erotic about the cosmos.

Tennis Ball posted:

I am 30 minutes into Butter. I can recommend this movie 100% even though there is an hour left.

EDIT:

Aw. The ending. :3

Just watched Butter and I really enjoyed it, too. Then I go onto rotten tomatoes and holy poo poo the reviews are terrible :stare:

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

seriously, my life was incomplete until I saw this thing of beauty

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

Oh - also - we just finished watching the first season of Once. (we = the wife, kids and me). Talk about a great idea jumping the goddamn shark. I realize the creators of Lost were attached to this, but surely they could have learned from their mistakes by now. Or gently caress it - just admit "we really really liked Fantasy Island, where each week it's new characters and a new story". Crap. OH so much crap. The mayor/adoptive mom poisons her kid, meaning to poison the sheriff, who btw is the real mom, and the sheriff joins forces WITH the mayor to find a cure. Instead of beating the crap out of and/or arresting the mayor/adoptive mom? All the while, Rumplestiltskin does nothing but evil and yet somehow every single person wants to trust him? I'm a goddamn idiot.

its a magic town that nobody can enter or leave

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I tried to watch Iron Sky, knowing it was probably bad but the premise sounded like it'd at least be entertaining, and it was honestly one of the most boring films I've found on Netflix. If anything ever gets going then it wasn't during the first 45 minutes or so

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Tom Toddlesworth posted:

Just watched Butter and I really enjoyed it, too. Then I go onto rotten tomatoes and holy poo poo the reviews are terrible :stare:

Kinda baffled by all of the reviews calling it "smug." What the gently caress does that even mean when referring to a fictional story?

I enjoyed it a lot too. I feel like if Mike Judge and Christopher Guest collaborated on a movie together, it would be really similar to Butter.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

BIZORT posted:

I tried to watch Iron Sky, knowing it was probably bad but the premise sounded like it'd at least be entertaining, and it was honestly one of the most boring films I've found on Netflix. If anything ever gets going then it wasn't during the first 45 minutes or so

I tried to watch it over the weekend as well, and I just couldn't bother finishing it. It's equal parts boring and frustrating. The movie has some really kooky ideas in it, but seems hellbent on not exploring any of them so it can concentrate on "THEY'RE SPAAACE NAZIS! :supaburn:"

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Kinda baffled by all of the reviews calling it "smug." What the gently caress does that even mean when referring to a fictional story?

I enjoyed it a lot too. I feel like if Mike Judge and Christopher Guest collaborated on a movie together, it would be really similar to Butter.

I can definitely see where people are coming from. It came across to me as a liberal film that looks down on people but it's also one of the funniest films I've ever seen and I enjoyed the hell out of it

Crop Top Skank
Apr 4, 2007

Jay Dub posted:

I tried to watch it over the weekend as well, and I just couldn't bother finishing it. It's equal parts boring and frustrating. The movie has some really kooky ideas in it, but seems hellbent on not exploring any of them so it can concentrate on "THEY'RE SPAAACE NAZIS! :supaburn:"

It briefly gets more exciting later on (muuuch later on) when there's this huge, largely inexplicable space battle between pretty much everyone, but for the most part I don't think I'd recommend the movie.

As far as movies that I would recommend, I watched Young Adult and The Artist recently on Netflix streaming and I liked both of them a lot. Charlize Theron kills it in the former and the latter may be the meta-est movie I've yet seen (in a good way - as long as you can deal with the whole silent film thing in the first place).

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The orginal Scream is on Netflix now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone stop what you're watching and put on Super Hybrid. It's an amazingly horrible horror film about a monster car.

dianekwon
Sep 1, 2012
Just watched Butter after seeing it mentioned in this thread and really enjoyed it! I guess I must be no good at critiquing because I thought the movie was very fun. I was surprised to see it starring Jennifer Garner which was just great as I had just finished watching a few seasons of Alias and developed a celeb crush on her. The little girl who played Destiny was cute, too. Two thumbs up from Something Awful's dianekwon.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rhyno posted:

Everyone stop what you're watching and put on Super Hybrid. It's an amazingly horrible horror film about a monster car.

Is this the film where it is fueled by human blood? I hated that so much, utter rubbish.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PriorMarcus posted:

Is this the film where it is fueled by human blood? I hated that so much, utter rubbish.

No, it was a shapeshifting monster that took the form of a car and stalked people through a police impound and repair garage.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Just noticed that Netflix is airing a remake of House of Cards with Kevin Spacey in the lead role. Amusingly, they kept the naming convention (Francis Underwood). The original 1990 BBC series was excellent, and last I looked was streamable. Hopefully the remake will be worthwhile as well.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Folderol posted:

Just noticed that Netflix is airing a remake of House of Cards with Kevin Spacey in the lead role. Amusingly, they kept the naming convention (Francis Underwood). The original 1990 BBC series was excellent, and last I looked was streamable. Hopefully the remake will be worthwhile as well.

DAVID loving FINCHER is directing the first two episodes, so it has the potential to be loving amazing. I mean, have you seen the rest of the cast? Wow.

Here's the TVIV link!

Khoryos
May 16, 2011

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Wow, Lockdown. I felt out of breath from how fast that movie was. Guy Pearce was pretty good.

"Heres an apple and a gun. Don't talk to strangers, just shoot them."

That film just bugs me, because all it's missing is Kurt Russel and then it's Escape From Outer Space.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Whisker Wars first season is up on instant. I think it aired on the IFC channel but it's really awesome. I could be biased though, as I love talking about facial hair.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
So Butter is a really odd movie and I'm not sure if I can fully recommend it. It actually does come off as smug and condescending. It also tries to toe the line between raunchy hard R comedy and family feel good movie and is not entirely successful. I've never seen An American Carol but Butter comes off like the liberal anwser to that movie.

Its made fairly explicit that the foster parents of Destiny are LIBERAL DEMOCRATS. The fact that they (along with Destiny and the hooker with the heart of gold) come off as the least hypocritical characters in the entire movie is very telling.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

foodfight posted:

So Butter is a really odd movie and I'm not sure if I can fully recommend it. It actually does come off as smug and condescending. It also tries to toe the line between raunchy hard R comedy and family feel good movie and is not entirely successful. I've never seen An American Carol but Butter comes off like the liberal anwser to that movie.

Its made fairly explicit that the foster parents of Destiny are LIBERAL DEMOCRATS. The fact that they (along with Destiny and the hooker with the heart of gold) come off as the least hypocritical characters in the entire movie is very telling.

This is the only time I will ever say this to someone, but you should watch An American Carol because hoooooooly poo poo, no, not even in the same universe.

I felt like the foster parents were shown as naive and a little patronizing, and while the stripper was less hypocritical than the equally depraved conservative family, she was also portrayed as really stupid and trashy. I mean yeah, I guess they were slightly less negative, but the only character in the film that I felt was shown as being intelligent and moral was Destiny. I got more of a "look at all these crazy white people" message than a "look at all these crazy conservatives."

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Khoryos posted:

That film just bugs me, because all it's missing is Kurt Russel and then it's Escape From Outer Space.
It's like a diet Escape From New York in Space. It's not as good as either Escape From... movie, but it's still fun.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jay Dub posted:

The Palin stuff was just terrible, and the entire middle part lasts way too long and isn't at all funny or coherent with the rest of the film. I don't think it's worth spending like 30 minutes on a nazi fashion joke and it relies far too much on referencing for humor. It should of been guy goes to moon, uncovers nazi plot and escapes back to earth to warn them about invasion.

It might be worth skipping through the middle and getting to the space ship bits because the CGI is actually good, though I'm incredibly disappointed the North Korean ship wasn't the Ryugyong hotel.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 22, 2013

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

foodfight posted:

Your criticisms are for sure valid. I guess I can overlook pretty much anything so long as the movie is funny, and in this case it was, so i still really liked it.

Tom Toddlesworth fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 22, 2013

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Dreadbot posted:

It briefly gets more exciting later on (muuuch later on) when there's this huge, largely inexplicable space battle between pretty much everyone, but for the most part I don't think I'd recommend the movie.

When I first heard about Iron Sky I was hyped. Then I found out that it was in development for a while and had budget problems and maybe reshoots and lost hope. So I went in with pretty low expectations and ended up enjoying the hell out of it. I'd say it's definitely a movie to watch with your friends and have a good time, not necessarily by yourself.

It didn't hurt that I now have a guilty crush on the Nazi chick... I haven't felt this way since Elsa from Indy and the Last Crusade, I swear!

Oh, and my favorite part of the previously mentioned space battle when all the different countries' space stations were fighting, Japan's kamikazes into another one

Also, one of the Nazi ranks is Space Corporal.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

DAVID loving FINCHER is directing the first two episodes, so it has the potential to be loving amazing. I mean, have you seen the rest of the cast? Wow.

Here's the TVIV link!

I hadn't seen that thread - thank you VERY much!

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Sword of Gideon is on streaming and expires at the end of the month. It's a 1986 HBO tv movie adaptation of Vengeance, the book Steven Spielberg later adapted for Munich. the Israeli assassination program avenging the 1972 Munich Massacre is hard stuff to stomach...

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I got Apple TV and Netflix recently. There's no recommended movies section. Do I have to watch or rate a certain number of films before it recommends anything for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Mescal posted:

I got Apple TV and Netflix recently. There's no recommended movies section. Do I have to watch or rate a certain number of films before it recommends anything for me?

You can rate movies in Netflix and it'll give you recommendations based off of that, but often times they are completely off. Basically if you just watch stuff and rate as you go you'll be alright.

• Locked thread