Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Job one is to make sure that the name doesn't suck on toast as an English word spoken by English-speakers, regardless of whether or not it matches up with romaji transliteration or fan translation or anything else. Seliph and Tharja kinda do, but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

neongrey posted:

Honestly so long as I can follow how they romanized the name, I'm rarely bothered by things like say Seliph instead of Celice, they're hardly obligated to follow fan convention and at no point have they ever showed an inclination to do so.
Seliph sort of makes sense at least. I was talking with a friend of mine the other day and she mentioned how when she looks at "Celice" her brain instinctively parses it as "Cecile" since that's actually a common name. Since Celice is male that's probably undesirable.

Also it'd probably be really easy to confuse Celice with Celica since I think she's also referenced in Awakening.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I like Tharja, I assume they were going for a foreign kind of look to the name, and I think it kind of matches her look well. I'm honestly a little baffled that anyone thought Sallya looked natural and not like someone just took Sally and stuck an a on the end.

And yeah, there are any number of reasons why Celice is a bad translation to go with like the above.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Francis posted:

Job one is to make sure that the name doesn't suck on toast as an English word spoken by English-speakers, regardless of whether or not it matches up with romaji transliteration or fan translation or anything else. Seliph and Tharja kinda do, but oh well.

Well I mean everyone got used to "Marth" so it won't be too big of a deal.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I can't look at the name Tharja and not think of the singer from Nightwish.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Can't stop watching videos of this game. :ohdear:

One of the translation fan patchs for FE4 tried to rename class names and weapons closer to the modern standard (Social Knight = Cavalier, Resire = Nosferatu, Relive = Mend, etc) but it also tried to rename Siglud to Zigludo and Celice to Serlis. :v:

What I'm trying to say is - I support Nintendo's localization.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

neongrey posted:

Like I can appreciate if you've used a given spelling for years and it's changed to something that's thoroughly unlike to what you're used to, but in most of these cases they're just as accurate a translation as the fan convention.

I got used to Final Fantasy IV DS pronouncing names different from how I had as a kid so I, for one, will be able to adjust to Seliph.

It still sounds kind of dumb.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Azran posted:

Can't stop watching videos of this game. :ohdear:

One of the translation fan patchs for FE4 tried to rename class names and weapons closer to the modern standard (Social Knight = Cavalier, Resire = Nosferatu, Relive = Mend, etc) but it also tried to rename Siglud to Zigludo and Celice to Serlis. :v:

What I'm trying to say is - I support Nintendo's localization.

I can't stop watching videos either. I'm trying to do exactly that so I don't get burned out before I ever get the game proper. It's exciting because it looks like a "bottomless" game. Tons of optional stuff and grinding opportunities exist and I can create perfect characters and then DLC to burn through too. So exciting. For the DLC, are we getting some of the character DLC at launch or will that be a timed release?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
From the OP

iv) Chrom and your Avatar have slightly unique inheritance. Your Avatar will always have an specific opposite gendered child, on top of the mother-dependant child (assuming a male Avatar). Similarly, Chrom will always have a specific daughter, on top of the mother-dependant child. Furthermore, Chrom’s daughter(s) will always inherit Aether, and his son will always inherit Royal Weapon.

Okay now here's my question, is there anything stopping me from passing on Magnificent Flame to the Avatar's children?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

From the OP

iv) Chrom and your Avatar have slightly unique inheritance. Your Avatar will always have an specific opposite gendered child, on top of the mother-dependant child (assuming a male Avatar). Similarly, Chrom will always have a specific daughter, on top of the mother-dependant child. Furthermore, Chrom’s daughter(s) will always inherit Aether, and his son will always inherit Royal Weapon.

Okay now here's my question, is there anything stopping me from passing on Magnificent Flame to the Avatar's children?

No, but the Avatar's children can also become Grandmasters so it's basically not hard for them to get it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The only translation I don't like is Seliph and that's less due to the original name and more due to it looking a bit like a viral infection.

Though I guess it's better than the name the FE7 site used for him, Serlis.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Tharja is both almost identical to Sariya in pronunciation and an absolutely valid translation of her name. It's not even really "localized." You can entirely get the Th- thing out of サーリャ, provided you're looking at it as an English speaker. Also NoJ romanized it "Sallya," so I'd say we dodged a bullet there. Localization would be something like Velvet -> Panne, and I can understand objecting to that, but overall I think most of the translated names we got are pretty well-chosen. We'll have to get used to them of course. Just like we got used to Ike over Aiku, because I mean come on.

Seliph is certainly unusual though. I just want to know if they made the right call on his half-siblings. But yeah, it's better than Serlis, which just sounds like mangled translation. I actually had no problems with Celice and don't see it as a female name (although it's somewhat less masculine than his father's name, but so is he), but in the end it's just a fan translation and now we've got something official for most of the main characters in the series, which I really like. Plus, it's cool to see how many the fan translators actually got right.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Heres some wierd Fire Emblem news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMRGNwMMFro

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:psyduck::stare::psyduck:

I really don't know what to expect from this. I really didn't expect anything like this at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, I see. I'm still asleep and dreaming. Well, I better wake up, I gotta get to work.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh. :stare:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Looking forward to Hector summoning Lucifer.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

So like Capcom, they've ran out of ideas and just went all "gently caress it, do a cross-over game. that makes money right?".

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

I hope its not a fighting game and that's all I can really say about that. :psyduck:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

yellowcar posted:

So like Capcom, they've ran out of ideas and just went all "gently caress it, do a cross-over game. that makes money right?".

Yeah, the last Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem games sure sucked, they must be fresh out of ideas.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

yellowcar posted:

The trailer has zero original art so it looks like they came up with this idea yesterday and slapped some art assets from the two series together and put it out there.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the last Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem games sure sucked, they must be fresh out of ideas.

Just saying cross-over games tend not to be very good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

yellowcar posted:

Super Smash Brothers, Marvel vs Capcom and Super Robot Wars. v:shobon:v

Not to mention stuff like Kingdom Hearts or Dissidia which is fun to play (if terrible in story).

I've heard really positive things about Layton vs Wright even if it didn't sell that well either.

Also the new Sonic Racing game is probably the best Kart Racer in a very long time, if not ever and that crosses over with everything from Shenmue to Team Fortress 2.

Basically what I'm saying is "crossover games are bad" doesn't really hold for me. There are some infinitely lovely ones but some really excellent ones too.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 23, 2013

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

yellowcar posted:

Marvel VS Capcom was pretty dang good. As long as it has Hitler with the lance of Longious, evil YVWH, and Teddie hitting on all the Fire Emblem females while spouting bad bear puns it has potential.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yellowcar posted:

Yeah, Nintendo's never made a good crossover game.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I didn't say they were all "bad". Just a lot of them that I've played were really sub-par. Kinda suffering from the "too many cooks in the kitchen" syndrome sometimes. Cross-over games just don't fly well with me is all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

yellowcar posted:

Iwata's (paraphrased) explanation was that, as game development grows in scale, they're increasingly looking to work with external partners in order to provide a steady stream of new games, and this was one of those instances.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What kind of games are the Shin Megami Tensei games? I know nothing about them.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Regy Rusty posted:

Balls to the wall hard JRPGs. Most well known for being extremely centered around exploiting weaknesses and shoring up your own, as well as very dark and mature (for video games, anyway) settings and stories.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

It varies. A few are SRPGs, most are traditional JRPGs. They're all set in the modern-day (I think the earliest the series goes back is Post-WW1-era? I haven't played EVERY game in the series so correct me if I'm wrong), with a heavy focus on mythology and demonology and such. Teenagers summoning demons, etc etc. They also tend to have awesome music, for what that's worth.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Regy Rusty posted:

RPGs of various flavors. The main series is mostly dungeon crawlers, Digital Devil Saga is a more of a straight RPG, Devil Survivor is an SRPG, the modern Personas are half RPG/half dating sim, etc. More likely than not this is going to be very similar to the Devil Survivor series, seeing as FE is an SRPG itself.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Marth and Mara's Magical Adventure.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Terper posted:

I choked hard on my coffee when I read this. Well done, Sir. Well done.

Today I preordered my copy! I think I get my 3DS tomorrow too. Im trying not to read anything spoilery that people are posting, the one thing that I worry about is with all this talk of children characters...I usually tend to min/max too much. Its going to be hard to tell myself "Just play through it once and see what happens" haha.

I guess I'll toss a question out there...For the avatar is there some setup that is far better than others? Or is it best if I just do my favorite from the previous FE games I've played (crit machine :))

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

I guess I'll toss a question out there...For the avatar is there some setup that is far better than others? Or is it best if I just do my favorite from the previous FE games I've played (crit machine :))

If you want to go mage, plan to end up with something that can use dark magic. Dark magic is absolutely ridiculous.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Undead Unicorn posted:

Marvel VS Capcom was pretty dang good. As long as it has Hitler with the lance of Longious, evil YVWH, and Teddie hitting on all the Fire Emblem females while spouting bad bear puns it has potential.

YES. I need Teddie being fabulous all over the place like now please.

MASKED DUDE SPOILERS Can I dream about Persona characters making it in and Lucina and Naoto being crossdressing bros while I'm at it?

Dec 26, 2012

Terper posted:

I really hope it's this.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Its got Hector, thats all that matters :colbert:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It probably won't, just to spite you.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Of all the things to crossover with a lightly political medieval strategy game, why not Game of Thrones or some poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Because what there is to cross over? It's the same thing already: swordfights, characters die a lot, dragons and incest.

• Locked thread