Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Captain Walker posted:

Oh man I need this, thanks

I bought a vita for this and have no regrets. It's just so goddamn good. They added in a ton of new poo poo and it's also the highest ranked vita game on metacritic (not that metacritic scores mean much, but still) :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Schubalts posted:

It only affects the ones where she joins in.

Shame. Oh well, there's always Yukiko's Mind Charge. :supaburn:

If there's anyone who still doesn't like Chie's new voice: get some good headphones. It seriously makes a world of difference. Erin Fitzgerald did a phenomenal job, she just hit exactly the wrong pitch for the tinny-rear end Vita speakers.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 22, 2013

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

HelmetCheese posted:

I bought a vita for this and have no regrets. It's just so goddamn good. They added in a ton of new poo poo and it's also the highest ranked vita game on metacritic (not that metacritic scores mean much, but still) :toot:

High five. I bought a Vita primarily for P4G and don't feel like it was a mistake. Sure, it was expensive, but it's one of those games that has so much replay value that it becomes a prolonged investment. Of course, I'm happy when I see other good games on Vita too, but... Golden is the killer app for the system.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Vita is pretty much my $260 Persona machine that can incidentally also do other things. I don't regret it at all.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Really Pants posted:

Shame. Oh well, there's always Yukiko's Mind Charge. :supaburn:

If there's anyone who still doesn't like Chie's new voice: get some good headphones. It is seriously a world of difference. Erin Fitzgerald did a phenomenal job, she just hit exactly the wrong pitch for the tinny-rear end Vita speakers.

Yeah, I found I was liking Chie more in golden than in baseline P4. I've actually gotten kind of use to her new accent which in my minds eye sounds like a cross between light valley girl and very light Boston accent.

New teddy is still grating, but old teddy was grating too, so no real movement there.

Did the old Shin Megami Tensei megathread fall off into archives? I tried to look for it and couldn't find it in the live forums.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

DeathSandwich posted:

Did the old Shin Megami Tensei megathread fall off into archives? I tried to look for it and couldn't find it in the live forums.

Current Megami Tensei Megathread for your viewing pleasure.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I finally had a chance to finish through the true ending with all the added scenes and whatnot, and I have to echo everyone that it was a helluva improvement over the vanilla version. Honestly, I wish more dungeons had quirky mechanics like the Hollow Forest. Not just "head back to level 4 after getting an item from level 8" type that the couple previous dungeons had.

Being able to use Magatsu-Izanagi was awesome. I just wish you could get him sooner. It was also the first time I was able to max all the s-links, even after playing through the vanilla version with the doublejump guide.

The epilogue was great, and the new character designs make me wish they could be outfits for New Game+. I'm sure I'm not the first to say that though. I think it has a couple inconsistencies (i.e. the spoiler) with P4 Arena, though, which I had the impression of being canon.

The biggest shock was reading that you could help Adachi and get a new bad end which I ended up looking up on YouTube. And jesus christ, they cranked it up to 11 for the crazy face. It's good they actually gave him a little more development with that and the secret meeting inside the TV, though. Probably the best remake of any game I've played.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

AlternateNu posted:

The epilogue was great, and the new character designs make me wish they could be outfits for New Game+. I'm sure I'm not the first to say that though. I think it has a couple inconsistencies (i.e. the spoiler) with P4 Arena, though, which I had the impression of being canon.

P4 Arena is canon, and happens between the original ending of Persona 4 and the new epilogue. They even mention it in the epilogue someone mentions "That crazy stuff that happened the last time you came to visit.

I'm not sure what other inconsistencies you have in mind, but the specific one you mention can be explained as they changed their looks after Arena.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

AlternateNu posted:

P4 Arena takes place in May, months before the epilogue happens. They mention it in the epilogue. "This visit hopefully won't be as crazy as May was."

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Schubalts posted:

P4 Arena takes place in May, months before the epilogue happens. They mention it in the epilogue. "This visit hopefully won't be as crazy as May was."

You know, for some reason, I though P4A took place in May 2013 because they were all seniors, and I was thinking American school calenders. You guys are right.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Strange Quark posted:

The Vita is pretty much my $260 Persona machine that can incidentally also do other things. I don't regret it at all.

Same here. I also have silent hill book of memories and little big planet on it but the first game is crap and the second game is mediocre and I don't understand the appeal

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I guess it's still worth it for the Mind Charge on NG+.

Are you saying the bike skills carry over to NG+, or that it's worth getting the bike skills on NG+ since you will have more free time due to carrying over skill levels?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's the extra free time. Skills never carry over.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I worded that badly, on NG+ you have more spare days for stuff like bikes.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
Can you switch the voice acting to subtitles? Very important.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strength of Many posted:

Do you mean the original Japanese? If so, no.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Strength of Many posted:

You mean Japanese voices/English subs? No, it's only English voices. That said the English voices in this are actually a lot better than the JP voices, give it a chance.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You mean Japanese voices/English subs? No, it's only English voices. That said the English voices in this are actually a lot better than the JP voices, give it a chance.

I vastly prefer Yukiko's Japanese voice actor to the English one, and somewhat Japanese Dojima to the English one. The rest were pretty much equal or better than the Japanese ones to my ear, once I got used to them just being different. I was actually really impressed by how good the dub was.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 22, 2013

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Saw this Persona shirt at a shop and had to buy it. f'steak bitches!

http://milk-tee.com/men.html

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Jet Ready Go posted:

Saw this Persona shirt at a shop and had to buy it. f'steak bitches!

http://milk-tee.com/men.html

You're in NYC aren't you? Where did you find it? I want one. :P

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Oh no I just bought it from the website. I've never seen Persona stuff in stores here except occasionally in Forbidden Planet. :/

deadlinguo
Nov 17, 2004
when the revolution comes
Does anyone know how to unlock the door on floor 10 of the Heaven dungeon?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There shouldn't be any locks. Wait, is this in March?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
What carries over in a New Game+? Everything? I want to max all my social links the second time around and get the true ending.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Protocol7 posted:

What carries over in a New Game+? Everything? I want to max all my social links the second time around and get the true ending.

Money, Compendium, status levels (Expression, Knowledge, etc.), Social Link items (so you can still fuse the ultimate of any Arcana you maxed in NG), costumes, and the stock in Daidara's.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You also don't need to max every link to see the True Ending. You do need to max Aeon before the end of December to see the special epilogue, though.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Nate RFB posted:

You also don't need to max every link to see the True Ending. You do need to max Aeon before the end of December to see the special epilogue, though.
This is all true, but completing as many social links as you can adds to the True End.

In True End toward the end of the Izanami fight, when she uses Thousand Curses and takes down your team and MC, all the people you maxed out appear as apparitions summoned by Margaret and talk to the MC about why he is important to them. The apparitions only appear for the links you maxed (so if you maxed Yosuke he'll show up and say how awesome the MC is) and does give a more complete ending in my opinion. It isn't necessary, but a nice touch.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

Money, Compendium, status levels (Expression, Knowledge, etc.), Social Link items (so you can still fuse the ultimate of any Arcana you maxed in NG), costumes, and the stock in Daidara's.

Character level doesn't carry over, though, so you'll need to grind back up for any ultimate fusions you missed before. The Velvet Room's stock of Skill Cards also carries over.

Let's class this poo poo up a little.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

The remixed version of I'll Face Myself is catchy as well. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that this was playing during the February dungeon bossfight. Can anyone else confirm this?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Nondevor posted:

The remixed version of I'll Face Myself is catchy as well. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that this was playing during the February dungeon bossfight. Can anyone else confirm this?
It most certainly does. I've been looking for this track forever, thanks for linking it. It's one of my favorite pieces.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It's also used in the anime for the Shadow Mitsuo boss fight. :iia:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

W.T. Fits posted:

It's also used in the anime for the Shadow Mitsuo boss fight. :iia:

What we got in Golden is goddamn perfect, though.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Is Persona 3 Portable good enough or should I just play FES on a PS2? I don't think FES is available on a Vita and since it sounds like Portable cuts out a lot of stuff is it worth playing it? I've never played 3 before if that matters.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It really comes down to this: Will you be bugged by a visual novel style format for everything outside Tartarus?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
If your only choice is P3P, go ahead and get P3P. It is still a fantastic experience- though the in-world polygons are removed outside of Tartarus, they added a ton of character art for important characters to enhance the feeling the game gives off. P3P's battle system is also the superior version, acting much more like P4's battle system than FES does. There's also the added female scenario with several new social links, a few personas added from Persona 4... Basically, P3P is a fine tuned experience that improves on much of P3's faults. However...

If it's your first time playing and you have a Playstation 3, I would probably recommend buying FES for ten bucks on the NA store. I highly prefer P3P to FES after playing them both, but I think that even with all of P3P's additions, something magical is just lost without the inclusion of in-world visuals. But like I said, if one's only choice is P3P, this is not a bad thing. They are the same story, just unveiled in different ways.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Any Euros have a good experience importing this, literally the only thing stopping me from buying a US version is that my paycheque hasn't cleared yet.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sputty posted:

Is Persona 3 Portable good enough or should I just play FES on a PS2? I don't think FES is available on a Vita and since it sounds like Portable cuts out a lot of stuff is it worth playing it? I've never played 3 before if that matters.

If you have a PS3 then FES is available from the PS store under PS2 classics.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Sputty posted:

P3P doesn't cut out anything essential and, in fact, it adds a number of mechanics that vastly improve Persona 3. There are animated cutscenes, but no actual in-game model cutscenes. However, you can now control your party members like in P4 and you have two options for a main character, each with its own unique set of social links (and a few they share). It also has a variety of difficulty modes and bonus content that you can't get in any of the other games, in the form of a bunch of souped up boss re-fights.

FES is a great game, and if you want to do the whole "run around a town and talk to people" or you wanna see some key scenes play out in front of you, rather than be told via character portraits, get it. But P3P has the best gameplay options, with the only omission made being your inability to equip the main character with any weapon type--a pretty trifling cost for so much gain.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Teim posted:

Any Euros have a good experience importing this, literally the only thing stopping me from buying a US version is that my paycheque hasn't cleared yet.

French goon here, I bought it a few weeks ago from videogameplus.ca, it was delivered in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

boblemoche posted:

French goon here, I bought it a few weeks ago from videogameplus.ca, it was delivered in a week.

I always use videogamesplus when I want to import a US release to the EU. They're one of the few sites that allow you to order games cross region. Like the above poster I usually get my order in about a week.

• Locked thread