Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

khwarezm posted:

Can you really have nostalgia for something that's not even 5 years old?

Do you not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Not really, it'd probably take a decade before I'd be Nostalgic for something v:v:v, I.E. I have nostalgia for the original Matrix but not the Dark knight, both good films though.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

khwarezm posted:

Unfortunately no, The only other specific low int dialogue is with a few followers of the apocalypse. Still, I did an amusing run with a guy who would fail every speech check possible, and just generally mess up quests given to him, G.I. blues is particularly flexible to this way of playing.

There's also a low-int dialog option when you meet Veronica. When she asks what you think of the Brotherhood, you can say "I hear they shoot lasers out of their eyes". Don't remember her reaction.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sam. posted:

There's also a low-int dialog option when you meet Veronica. When she asks what you think of the Brotherhood, you can say "I hear they shoot lasers out of their eyes". Don't remember her reaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4M4NmT2ywU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

Which fits perfectly in with the theme of religion.

In the end, even an atheistic courier is likely to base their decisions off of their understanding of scripture.

Not only did it change the way I did HH but his rifle became my weapon of choice throughout the game. Hell every character takes up that holy relic to bring justice, except maybe for gimmick runs. It is the only gun that should kill Lanius. I would say Caesar but I always give that one to Boone. Always. It seems Survivors notes touch most people that way. I thought it was a brilliant touch by Obsidian. Still wish we could go back to HH and see more. Hell I wish I could just explore all the world in an Obsidian Fallout game. :smith:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Von_Doom posted:

Not only did it change the way I did HH but his rifle became my weapon of choice throughout the game. Hell every character takes up that holy relic to bring justice, except maybe for gimmick runs. It is the only gun that should kill Lanius. I would say Caesar but I always give that one to Boone. Always. It seems Survivors notes touch most people that way. I thought it was a brilliant touch by Obsidian. Still wish we could go back to HH and see more. Hell I wish I could just explore all the world in an Obsidian Fallout game. :smith:

Boone is pretty deadly with the Survivalist's Rifle, one time I was fighting Lanius and Boone was able to pop all of his lackeys by himself while I took care of the guy. I don't use it as much once I finish HH because of the fairground sights but Boone doesn't have that problem.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh. According to the logs he left, the Survivalist went apeshit on the Vault 22 survivors because he says they cannibalized the Mexican family, but their log doesn't mention that at all. Self-serving bias, I guess?

He must have had crazy stealth skills, too, to live in that valley for decades and never be spotted once by anyone living there, at least, nobody that lived to tell the tale.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Speedball posted:

Huh. According to the logs he left, the Survivalist went apeshit on the Vault 22 survivors because he says they cannibalized the Mexican family, but their log doesn't mention that at all. Self-serving bias, I guess?

He must have had crazy stealth skills, too, to live in that valley for decades and never be spotted once by anyone living there, at least, nobody that lived to tell the tale.

Most people don't write down that they've eaten a bunch of other people.

I too would love to see a full on Fallout game from Obsidian.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

"Hey sister, you and those titties free for a moment?"

I don't remember that being there. :stare:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Roobanguy posted:

"Hey sister, you and those titties free for a moment?"

I don't remember that being there. :stare:

I don't remember that either! Is it a male-Courier only thing or is it an Evil Karma thing?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Speedball posted:

I don't remember that either! Is it a male-Courier only thing or is it an Evil Karma thing?

The person playing probably has a sex mod installed. I really doubt Obsidian putting something like that into their game.

Probably also the reason why she looks kinda off.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Sam. posted:

It's not really a low intelligence option, it's the response if you don't pass a 6 intelligence check. You can get it with 5 intelligence.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lonesome road was a really disappointing ending to the game, in my opinion. Having all of the backstory of Ulysses be optional journal entries loving sucks, since by this point I don't feel like combing over every square inch for trinkets. The enemies are boring bullet sponges, the final fight with Ulysses is stupid as poo poo and breaks previous rules of the game to make things more climactic, and overall it felt rushed and linear. I had to go to the wiki to get the full story of the game. Pretty weak, considering how good everything else is.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
What rules does it break?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Why not just go to the wiki to get the locations of the journal entries? Then you could see how Ulysses's backstory is used in the game itself.

As for being linear, it's probably to save money (DLCs sell less the later they come out so it probably had a tiny budget) but it's also a way of reinforcing the theme of obsession: whatever else may be in the Divide, all the Courier is interested in is getting to Ulysses.

Kellsterik posted:

I know when Graham explains their beliefs you have the option to own him with atheist wisdom and laugh in his face, I think there's also an option to say like "hmm, interesting" but that's about as far as it goes.
The top option when Joshua explains about eternity in Heaven as a reward for doing good works is "sounds like a good deal to me" or something similar. My character was a grizzled dude who's had a hard life and I couldn't hammer that option fast enough. Also I kept the Scripture you get at the end of the DLC for the rest of the game; there was something comforting about it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ravenfood posted:

What rules does it break?

Ulysses has regenerating health, and there's a dumb gimmick to the battle. Even when I fought Elijah he still died like anything else.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

sector_corrector posted:

Ulysses has regenerating health, and there's a dumb gimmick to the battle. Even when I fought Elijah he still died like anything else.
I thought Ulysses regenerated health because he had those eyebots healing him. Either way, there's very little a medical eyebot could do after I dumped a mag 12.7mm into his face. He barely got away from the steps. :v:

Other hilarious anticlimaxes encountered during Lonesome Road:
- Killing the Tunneler Queen without realizing she was the Tunneler Queen. Saw a knot of them approaching, hosed them down with 12.7mm, only realized when I was looting the bodies.
- Chemming up to fight Rawr in what I thought would be a pants shittingly close fight, then reducing his health to two pips with a single sneak crit headshot. 4/0 buck magnum finishes the job.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

2house2fly posted:

The top option when Joshua explains about eternity in Heaven as a reward for doing good works is "sounds like a good deal to me" or something similar. My character was a grizzled dude who's had a hard life and I couldn't hammer that option fast enough. Also I kept the Scripture you get at the end of the DLC for the rest of the game; there was something comforting about it.

I did this also. I mean sure, my courier might not know what communism is, or what a high school is, or what religion is, but if it works for you, probably one of the most tortured single individuals in the game, well, go right on ahead.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, the best part of Honest Hearts is tearing apart Ricky's story piece by piece. It just feels so good

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

PBJ posted:

Honestly, the best part of Honest Hearts is tearing apart Ricky's story piece by piece. It just feels so good

It should give you something like FO3's Dream Crusher perk.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tupperwarez posted:

I thought Ulysses regenerated health because he had those eyebots healing him. Either way, there's very little a medical eyebot could do after I dumped a mag 12.7mm into his face. He barely got away from the steps. :v:

Other hilarious anticlimaxes encountered during Lonesome Road:
- Killing the Tunneler Queen without realizing she was the Tunneler Queen. Saw a knot of them approaching, hosed them down with 12.7mm, only realized when I was looting the bodies.
- Chemming up to fight Rawr in what I thought would be a pants shittingly close fight, then reducing his health to two pips with a single sneak crit headshot. 4/0 buck magnum finishes the job.

He does, and you can disable them, but it's a dumb gimmick that doesn't fit with the rest of the game in my opinion.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HitTheTargets posted:

It should give you something like FO3's Dream Crusher perk.

Ah yes, the patented Douche Booter perk. Plus 10% critical chance to over-inflated egos.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Know what was the most satisfying Ulysses fight I ever had?

Not the time I doped up on every combat chem I had and punched him to death in one ultra-flurry of VATS.

The time I loaded my fully modded, top-condition Anti-Materiel rifle with exploding bullets and oneshot him in the face.

God that was good.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

3Romeo posted:

Tonally, that isn't Fallout. But it was a blast, so I don't really care.

Whenever people talk about what is and isn't Fallout, they seem to forget that Fallout 2 was loaded to the brim with pop culture references, wacky one-off encounters and talking deathclaws squatting in Vault 13.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Tupperwarez posted:

Killing Rawr is even more hilarious if you take his hand and make it into the Fist of Rawr for your unarmed char. That thing makes things die so fast. I took a char with that into the Deathclaw lair on the far side of the river and everything died really quick. With the right chems, I took on a Deathclaw Mother and Alpha at the same time and lived despite going unarmed.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

3Romeo posted:

This is pretty much my argument when I say that Fallout 3 is a good game. I mean, it isn't written nearly as well as Vegas, it doesn't have the subtlety of Vegas, and it doesn't have the characterization of Vegas (seriously, your dad is the best written character, and there isn't a lot to him)...but walking down the National Mall with Lincoln's Repeater, dressed in pre-war attire, en route to scavenge the loving Declaration of Independence for a dude named Abraham Washington, while President Eden talks about baseball and dogs in between songs like Yankee Doodle Dandy and the Marine Corps Hymn? All that, it loving owns.

Tonally, that isn't Fallout. But it was a blast, so I don't really care.

(New Vegas is better by far, though.)

I think this could be said about any Bethesda game. Their stories and characters etc are all crap (I'm convinced Beth doesn't quite understand the concept that your main story should lead you to slowly explore the world, and instead has it send you to the ENDS OF THE EARTH to complete a simple set of tasks), but just that feel of walking down the national mall blowing the poo poo out of everyone as Linclon, or yelling so loud the enemy flies off a mountain, or storming your way through a demonic tower just feels more epic than other games.

On a side note:
http://conversationparade.tumblr.com/tagged/fallout-dating-sim

Is slightly creepy to me. Particularly because one of the options is the character Obs named after me (long story, involves fanfics).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Calax posted:

On a side note:

Is slightly creepy to me. Particularly because one of the options is the character Obs named after me (long story, involves fanfics).

Oh God, Oliver- I need this game so bad. Wonder how Butch got there, though.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm looking forward to this.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 24, 2013

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Oh God, Oliver- I need this game so bad. Wonder how Butch got there, though.

Standard bad boy archtype? I mean, they boiled Oliver down to a "tsundere" character because of his MESSED up dialogue assignment. So it figures that Butch would boil down to the "greaser" stereotype.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Kalos posted:

Whenever people talk about what is and isn't Fallout, they seem to forget that Fallout 2 was loaded to the brim with pop culture references, wacky one-off encounters and talking deathclaws squatting in Vault 13.

The wackiness and inconsistencies from FO2 don't even stack up to the wackiness and inconsistencies in FO3.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

SpookyLizard posted:

The wackiness and inconsistencies from FO2 don't even stack up to the wackiness and inconsistencies in FO3.

Perhaps. On the other hand, updates on Arroyo are given to you in visions from your village's psychic drug-abusing shaman.

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms you can level at Fallout 3, I don't think "being silly" is really one of them.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Calax posted:

On a side note:

Godammit why isn't this out yet :negative:

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Man, you do not understand the Boomers at all.

Yeah, this is to the kids a cool reminder of what happen way back when Pre War America's capitalism was at it's peak. Its totally awesome for them...

Also, on the lack of looms, think about how precious a gun is compared to clothing. Besides Brahmin leather probably is harder to work with and the lack of linen and other clothing related crops may hamper the idea of a loom.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nnng, less than 2000 health to go on the "heal yourself with food" trophy. MAN this is time-consuming.

Then I need to pump up my skills enough to be able to melee deathclaws with boxing tape for that last GRA challenge. Foof.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fallout 2 is basically Family Guy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

In retrospect I'm actually a little surprised there wasn't a New Reno DLC. They bring it up a few times and it's not too much of a stretch to see them as Vegas' competitors for gambling, drugs or crime. Plus, y'know. I want to meet Mr. Bishop. Since he, too, likes to wander the wastes maybe he'd be a temporary companion!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SpookyLizard posted:

FO3 doesn't have a quest given to you by a ghost

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Speedball posted:

Then I need to pump up my skills enough to be able to melee deathclaws with boxing tape for that last GRA challenge. Foof.
The Deathclaw Hunter challenge? You just have to kill them with the weapons on the list, so you can soften them up with your usual weapon first. That's what I did when I got it. Shot them in the legs from afar, then shot them in the face with the .22 pistol.

At one point I hosed up and aggro'ed three at once, but I managed to get their legs with panicked SMG fire, then capped them with the .22. Just about had a heart attack when poo poo was going down, though. Armor was shredded, lost an arm, and I had a powerful hankering for Med-X, but I got me that challenge, goldurnit!

Now, to kill cazadores with Long-Fuse Dynamite... :suicide:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tupperwarez posted:

AHahaha. Actually I did quite well using Tin Can Grenades.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tupperwarez posted:

That's incredibly easy. If you get a hit in VATS, they just sit on top of it without moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Kalos posted:

Perhaps. On the other hand, updates on Arroyo are given to you in visions from your village's psychic drug-abusing shaman.

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms you can level at Fallout 3, I don't think "being silly" is really one of them.

Technically you can, you just have to level that criticism at Fallout 2 as well. I know, because there are NMA 'fans' who refuse to acknowledge FO2 as canon.