Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Viridiant posted:

I just encountered Mutons for the first time. I was worried because I had forgotten to equip my laser rifles on my guys but ended up taking care of them pretty well.

I was worried too, but then somehow a muton *died* when they were triggered. He just died. The second muton was murdered by a flanking assault with rapid fire.

A bug that worked in my favor v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'd be enjoying classic difficulty if I felt like any of my failures were my fault.

At no point here have I lost a soldier and gone 'okay yeah, I kind of deserved that one'. I'm now understanding the hatred of Thin Men, because those guys can apparently shoot a fly's wings off at a hundred yards while my soldiers apparently have the marksmanship of a blind toddler drafted into the Galactic Empire. Sectoids and Floaters are annoyingly proficient too, but nowhere near to that level. And the game seems to like giving me missions 90% full of Thin Men, so invariably I see then snipe someone hiding behind full cover every turn.

None of this feels like my fault. It feels like the game rolls a d20, hides the result behind the DM screen, and then tells me I've failed miserably.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cleretic posted:

I'd be enjoying classic difficulty if I felt like any of my failures were my fault.

At no point here have I lost a soldier and gone 'okay yeah, I kind of deserved that one'. I'm now understanding the hatred of Thin Men, because those guys can apparently shoot a fly's wings off at a hundred yards while my soldiers apparently have the marksmanship of a blind toddler drafted into the Galactic Empire. Sectoids and Floaters are annoyingly proficient too, but nowhere near to that level. And the game seems to like giving me missions 90% full of Thin Men, so invariably I see then snipe someone hiding behind full cover every turn.

None of this feels like my fault. It feels like the game rolls a d20, hides the result behind the DM screen, and then tells me I've failed miserably.

"X-Com is a game that you could play for 10 hours and lose.

I know that doesn't really sound like fun, but it is."

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cleretic posted:

And the game seems to like giving me missions 90% full of Thin Men, so invariably I see then snipe someone hiding behind full cover every turn.

Run away. Seriously, running away is not losing and it'll allow you to set up traps and shift the battle in your favor.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Brainamp posted:

Run away. Seriously, running away is not losing and it'll allow you to set up traps and shift the battle in your favor.

Running away is never a bad idea. AI doesn't actually relentlessly hunt you down. You also get a +20 defense (or +10?) modifier if you sprint to a new location.

I mentioned before I triggered about 8 thin men in the same location and I was getting minced. I pulled back with 3 men remaining and I managed to pick them off one by one. Although I was close to just aborting the mission.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Iceshade posted:

I mentioned before I triggered about 8 thin men in the same location and I was getting minced. I pulled back with 3 men remaining and I managed to pick them off one by one. Although I was close to just aborting the mission.

Those battles are the best. I think one of my favorite maps is rescuing the scientist on the docks. I have more back and forth, push and fall-back tactics playing that map. And that drat Xcom RNG is almost guaranteed to keep things interesting.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Second Wave and some of the user mods out there are tempting me to actually start an XCOM session. I should relive the "XCOM moments". Also when did they put in that PC only super soldier?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TopHatGenius posted:

Second Wave and some of the user mods out there are tempting me to actually start an XCOM session. I should relive the "XCOM moments". Also when did they put in that PC only super soldier?

Super-soldiers? You mean the named soldiers like Sid Meier? Those have been there since release.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
On Impossible, most of the shots you should be taking should be done in Overwatch, not ones you aim for yourself (Classic is possible to get away with a more direct advancement strategy because enemies are easier to kill as well as have less aim and crit chance - this was my hardest problem moving to Impossible). Finding waiting spots with both good cover out of line of sight as well as being able to see enemies come in from multiple angles is pretty essential for a successful mission until you're able to let soldiers withstand hits worth a drat.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

TopHatGenius posted:

If you use Hidden Potential and Not Created Equal second wave options, you can create super soldiers yourself. I don't know what Sid's stats are, but I've got a sniper with 110 aim at Captain level.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Brainamp posted:

Super-soldiers? You mean the named soldiers like Sid Meier? Those have been there since release.

He's referring to Chris Kluwe. In which case he went in last patch. Also, even with Second Wave options, you are never equaling the heroes, just FYI. I don't remember what Sid does, but Otto has 100 HP and like 200 Aim. I am not exaggerating when I say he is a god of war in the OP.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

necrobobsledder posted:

On Impossible, most of the shots you should be taking should be done in Overwatch, not ones you aim for yourself

This is suboptimal because of the overwatch aim penalty. In impossible, just set up in good cover and attack when you're able to bring enough high-percentage shots so that you're likely to kill most of the visible enemy units in a single round.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 24, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Thin men are bastards, but they're also squishy and hilarious to take out in clumps via rocket. I don't find them to be any worse than sectiods, usually, except that they tend to huck spit at my hunkered down dudes. Which then panicks them, joy.

Speaking of, does Classic make panic more common? Or am I totally hosed, and half my squad is mind control meat the second I hit a commander?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Coolguye posted:

He's referring to Chris Kluwe. In which case he went in last patch. Also, even with Second Wave options, you are never equaling the heroes, just FYI. I don't remember what Sid does, but Otto has 100 HP and like 200 Aim. I am not exaggerating when I say he is a god of war in the OP.

The "Otto Zander Army" was my go-to squad back when.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Shalinor posted:

Thin men are bastards, but they're also squishy and hilarious to take out in clumps via rocket. I don't find them to be any worse than sectiods, usually, except that they tend to huck spit at my hunkered down dudes. Which then panicks them, joy.

Speaking of, does Classic make panic more common? Or am I totally hosed, and half my squad is mind control meat the second I hit a commander?

I have never played Normal much so I can't tell you how panic relates, but I will tell you that anyone with less than 70 Will is a Mind Control incident waiting to happen.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I wasn't sure what the teleporting bug was at all, so I went on YouTube and looked for an example of it. drat, I'm lucky I never had that happen to me. The worst that ever happened was being in a firefight with some aliens and gradually getting more aliens involved in the fight because they roamed in the direction of the noise.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Shalinor posted:

I'm not sure if the threshold for panic is decreased. My soldiers have definitely been panicking much more frequently on Classic than Normal, but they're also getting shot more often and seeing friendlies die more often, too, which might have something to do with it.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Olive Branch posted:

I wasn't sure what the teleporting bug was at all, so I went on YouTube and looked for an example of it. drat, I'm lucky I never had that happen to me. The worst that ever happened was being in a firefight with some aliens and gradually getting more aliens involved in the fight because they roamed in the direction of the noise.

Yeah, aliens joining a firefight is normal, especially if one of the aliens shouts for help. It's kind of awesome, actually. Being on the graveyard and having every alien on the map teleport into the middle of your squad on the aliens' first turn is not.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Spiffo posted:

Yeah, aliens joining a firefight is normal, especially if one of the aliens shouts for help. It's kind of awesome, actually. Being on the graveyard and having every alien on the map teleport into the middle of your squad on the aliens' first turn is not.
Could it possibly be linked to the number of increased aliens on Impossible and having the AI prevent two patrols on the same patrol path, and then getting the pathing all messed up? I'm no programmer but it seems this bug appears on Classic or Impossible. Maybe it's a confirmation bias because people who post about it play on the higher difficulties.

Edit: Maybe it's linked to Slingshot? I don't have the DLC and never had the bug happen.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

What does it mean when they scream and one of your guys shouts "They're trying to fall back?".

I assumed it was a morale thing but then I saw them doing things anyway.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I THINK that wandering alien packs do check against sounds and will investigate. I think that call is basically a "more dudes may or may not be coming.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The teleportation bug is really bugging me (no pun intended).

I attack a supply UFO. No biggie, I bring my A-team just in case.

I take my first move forward and trigger an Ethereal (and a muton elite); they do their reveal. Okay, usually those are holed up in the bridge but whatever, I can easily handle this.

Sent one Ghosted Support beside the Ethereal to keep an eye on it and had all my other guys move into concealment, snipers in the back Overwatch.

The Ethereal and Muton Elite, despite being RIGHT BESIDE my Support inside the UFO, teleports outside directly behind my guys and knocks a guy down to critical with the Ethereal Laser. The Muton Elite inflict grievous harm to another soldier.

Rather depressing because this isn't me making assumptions about accuracy (like those who complain about Thin Men) but actual bullshit behavior. It's as if because they couldn't see any of my guys, they decided to teleport instead.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Olive Branch posted:

Could it possibly be linked to the number of increased aliens on Impossible and having the AI prevent two patrols on the same patrol path, and then getting the pathing all messed up? I'm no programmer but it seems this bug appears on Classic or Impossible. Maybe it's a confirmation bias because people who post about it play on the higher difficulties.

This particular instance happened back when I was playing on Normal. This meant it wasn't a game-ender, but I can still complain about it :mad:

I don't have slingshot either.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Zylen posted:

I trapped him in the open with one of my guys up top on the other side of the road, however I'm also playing I/I with all of the second wave options enabled, and the overwatching guy took a point of damage in an earlier firefight. So thanks to Red Fog, even on an elevated platform against an exposed enemy he's only getting around a 30% hit chance, and since he was the only member of my team that could even see the sectiod, I had to leave him on overwatch and juggle the rest of my guys and gals around for a couple turns.

Does Red Fog affect a soldier's stats on a given mission based on the amount of damage received, or is it just every instance of being injured? If it's the latter, I could see drones with their 1-hp laser shots being a real pain in the rear end down the road.

Tae posted:

A quick trick is to Dash to a transponder, then go back to that character and turn on the transponder (because a character doesn't need a move to still activate stuff).

I don't think this is true for the console versions of XCOM - dashing a character to a location effectively ends their turn, and you cannot manually select them while scrolling through your soldiers who still have actions to be made.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Colonel Cool posted:

What does it mean when they scream and one of your guys shouts "They're trying to fall back?".

I assumed it was a morale thing but then I saw them doing things anyway.

I hear the "They're pulling back!" and "They're trying to fall back!" quite often. Most of the time they do fall back .. but only for one move. Then they shoot on the second shot anyway. I guess it does show some defensive behaviour when they shout that, but it doesn't seem to mean that they outright flee.

Ravenfood posted:

I THINK that wandering alien packs do check against sounds and will investigate. I think that call is basically a "more dudes may or may not be coming.

Apparently when you burst through doors, instead of just opening them, it 'attracts' enemies. I don't know how the other things are handled, like.. shooting your gently caress off loud gun. Or firing your big massive stupid explosive rocket launcher. That doesn't seem to attract attention.

But aliens are on patrol regardless, and you just have to be unlucky to have them patrol into your fight. That's my understanding, anyway.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

I have been playing XCOM a lot since Day 1 and I have to admit I haven't experienced this "teleporting" bug at all. And I'm on Game 8 now. I've faced down the seemingly-infinite VietCong death-charge of aliens where my men never having to leave the Landing Zone, but never have people just suddenly appeared in my group of soldiers. Is this bug specific to a certain difficulty? Or do I just say the right prayers every night.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

That Awful Nick posted:

I have been playing XCOM a lot since Day 1 and I have to admit I haven't experienced this "teleporting" bug at all. And I'm on Game 8 now. I've faced down the seemingly-infinite VietCong death-charge of aliens where my men never having to leave the Landing Zone, but never have people just suddenly appeared in my group of soldiers. Is this bug specific to a certain difficulty? Or do I just say the right prayers every night.

Game 8? You really haven't then. :v:

The bug is tied to the enemy patrol pattern, there is no way to prevent it other than it just not happening.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

That Awful Nick posted:

I can personally verify it happens on Normal (although it only happened once), and lots of people have had it happen on Classic and Impossible. It's not tied to a specific difficulty.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Brainamp posted:

Game 8? You really haven't then. :v:

I play very slowly and meticulously. That means twenty minutes agonizing over which abduction mission to take. Fifteen minutes just to decide which new research project to begin. It's ridiculous.

Glad to know that the bug is random. Now I have something to look forward to. :downs:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That Awful Nick posted:

I was one of the people in this thread saying the same for a while. It finally occurred for me a couple of times near the end of game 12 in Classic. The suggestion that makes the most sense to me is that it probably depends on your play-style. Certain ways of moving your troops around are more likely to cause it to occur. Also battle scanners really mess up enemy activation I understand ... I've never used them.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I've encountered it plenty, although I've never had it screw me over. You can observe this activity easily enough with battle scanners or ghost armor—if you reveal a patrol pack with the scanner or a ghosted unit, they won't activate, and on the alien turn, the camera will swing to them, and then swing somewhere out in the fog of war, where you'll be able to see their health bars for a moment. It will swing back to your units, and the patrol pack will no longer be visible.

Apparently, this happens every turn, not just when you are observing unactivated aliens, and that's when you get screwed over.

Speaking of which, has anyone else encountered weird bugs involving ghost armor? I had equipped my whole unit with ghost armor for a terror mission, and rescued all the civilians while ghosted before actually engaging. However, sometimes my units would de-ghost at the beginning of the enemy turn, not my turn. An activation cutscene would play for any aliens in the area, but they would still act as though they hadn't seen him, and next turn he could cloak again, no problem.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Occasionally it helps. One time I had 7 Floaters roll in out of nowhere, near my Danger Zone heavy.

Next turn I had a very smug heavy.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Well, just aborted my first mission. Complete bunch of bullshit. In the starting position in front of an abductor UFO.

3 mutons burst in, one gets cut down by overwatch. Good start. Then they fire and the shots already land. One muton is disabled by my sniper, the other is impossible to hit because apparently he is in an elevated position by standing an inch on a ramp.

Then 3 chrysalids join next turn, and they use their scatter move to get in my face. Great. Muton suppressed, he doesnt give a gently caress and shoots through the -20 to hit. Critical. Support down and critically wounded. Sniper cant hit chrysalid. Other sniper misses as well. Rookie panics. Etcetera etcetera. Sniper becomes zombie. That's 2 down.

A chrysalid moves next to a muton, and all are injured. Prime target for my heavy with her large blast radius rocket. That would take out both mutons and the chrysalid. 90% rocket off target, and the muton in elevated position still remains.

I move in my assault with a grenade to take him out. Boom, 3 floater patrol walks right in. Sniper can take out one floater, assault takes out muton.

Zombie on my rear end, another chrysalid running in. Out of ammo, only half cover and nowhere to run because this is the starting area. I pull my assault back behind a solid rock giving her full cover. Floater shoots right through it. Don't have enough firepower to deal with zombie and chrysalid and two floaters. Abort.

3 men back home alive. Lost a captain, corporal and a squaddie, and a poo poo ton of materials I really needed.

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 24, 2013

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound

Beaglerush posted:

Waiting for Firaxis to patch out the crazy amount of teleport-bugging the recent patch introduced, which they said will be soon. If they don't do it in the next couple days it might be time to revisit XCOM MULTIPLAYER while we wait.

Sooo yeah, might be a little while but probably the right call.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Viridiant posted:

First EVERY FLOATER ON THE MAP headed right to me, like 7 guys with very little full cover around me and even if I could get to it they were all on the wrong side of it. I still managed to wipe out more than half of them thanks to grenades and some good hit chances with only one person going down and able to be revived.
Is this a bug? I always assumed it was just because Floaters are angry as hell and will immediately charge towards noise.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
It's not the first time I've had ridiculous floater manpiles. It seems that floaters are attracted to violence. They're easy to kill, though, especially when they jump right behind your assault.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is this a bug? I always assumed it was just because Floaters are angry as hell and will immediately charge towards noise.

It seemed to behave, to me, a lot like the bug I've been hearing about where every unit on the map is alerted. But it was a pretty small map anyway, so it's possible that they were responding to the noise and just all arrived at once.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Muscle Tracer posted:

I've encountered it plenty, although I've never had it screw me over. You can observe this activity easily enough with battle scanners or ghost armor—if you reveal a patrol pack with the scanner or a ghosted unit, they won't activate, and on the alien turn, the camera will swing to them, and then swing somewhere out in the fog of war, where you'll be able to see their health bars for a moment. It will swing back to your units, and the patrol pack will no longer be visible.

Apparently, this happens every turn, not just when you are observing unactivated aliens, and that's when you get screwed over.
That's not the teleport bug. This is the teleport bug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTt9-pRqOkU

Patrolling groups of unactivated aliens move around the map by teleporting from one spawn location to another. This is normal behavior and not a bug. If a pack wanted to move from spawn A to B, and you happened to have your squad at a point C directly between them but with no sight on either spot, they would teleport right over you. Assuming you had scanners on both A & B you'd actually see them do it. If you have LOS on a spawn location and a pack wants to move there, that's when they walk in from the fog edge, do a startle animation, and run to cover (without shooting at you).

The reason Firaxis did this, from a game making perspective, is that it's the easiest and best way to keep the aliens spaced out so that the player doesn't get mobbed. If they were really walking around, it would be really difficult to keep the groups well separated -- either you move them semi-randomly and run into a traveling salesman type problem, or you do something dumb like walk in regular patterns.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Klyith posted:

If you have LOS on a spawn location and a pack wants to move there, that's when they walk in from the fog edge, do a startle animation, and run to cover (without shooting at you).

And of course the mission killer is when all of this part is false - they teleport on top of you, get the flank, and murder you like in the video.

It's even worse when six aliens do this - that's a recipe for a total party kill with literally nothing you could have done about it (not even overwatch will save you - see all four overwatchers in the video fail to kill a single sectoid, then get blasted by the shot they should not have had).

Also I once got overwatch-shot by a sectoid who was in the fog that I never even activated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In that video he seems to encounter the sectoids without activating them before the teleportation. Is that a consistent part of the bug?

• Locked thread