Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Sputty posted:

Is Persona 3 Portable good enough or should I just play FES on a PS2? I don't think FES is available on a Vita and since it sounds like Portable cuts out a lot of stuff is it worth playing it? I've never played 3 before if that matters.

If you're going to play P3P, someone on giantbomb wrote a handy guide with the dates/time of day (and preceding lines of dialogue) for when to watch the FES cutscenes (with youtube links). It's pretty helpful if you want to see what you may be missing out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ihatepants posted:

If you're going to play P3P, someone on giantbomb wrote a handy guide with the dates/time of day (and preceding lines of dialogue) for when to watch the FES cutscenes (with youtube links). It's pretty helpful if you want to see what you may be missing out on.

If you do this, be careful of related videos. When I was playing through P3P I looked up a cutscene on YouTube and a related video spoiled a big plot point for me.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
That is a great idea and I feel would provide the optimum Persona 3 experience. But yeah, I don't trust the related links on youtube. The summaries for the game's cutscenes are huge spoilers that can ruin much of the plot if they are accidentally read. Safest way is probably to play through the game, and then watch all of the cutscenes afterward in a marathon.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Where can I get stuff for my shelf? I need more model robots for when girls come over.

Also, what does "Everyone is charged up and focused!" mean? Is Rise seriously dropping free combined Mind/Power Charges on the entire team? If so, do they stack with the normal sort?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Really Pants posted:

Where can I get stuff for my shelf? I need more model robots for when girls come over.

Also, what does "Everyone is charged up and focused!" mean? Is Rise seriously dropping free combined Mind/Power Charges on the entire team? If so, do they stack with the normal sort?

The guy at the hobby store will be open at night time. He'll just give them away. They're good for gaining diligence.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Really Pants posted:

They don't stack, and yes, it's a Mind Charge and Power Charge to all 4 members. This is exactly as awesome as you think it is.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Really Pants posted:

Yes, she is. No, they don't stack. Yes, Rise is straight bullshit in this version.

e:f,b

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Saint Freak posted:

Yes, she is. No, they don't stack. Yes, Rise is straight bullshit in this version.

e:f,b

Note that the charge doesn't last. You still only get your one shot for each phys/magic. I made the mistake thinking that the double chevron staying meant both phys and magic were maintaining their boost. Not true.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The guy at the hobby store will be open at night time. He'll just give them away. They're good for gaining diligence.

How do you unlock the hobby shop? I didn't even get a hint of that in my first play through.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Jet Ready Go posted:

How do you unlock the hobby shop? I didn't even get a hint of that in my first play through.

It shows up if you complete "Quest 11: I Wish My Life Had Meaning Again." It's rank 6 of the Hermit (Fox at the Shrine) social link. You then spend free time building the model at your work table at home and when you show the hobby shop owner the completed model, he'll say that he'll open up the hobby shop at night.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

AlternateNu posted:

Note that the charge doesn't last. You still only get your one shot for each phys/magic. I made the mistake thinking that the double chevron staying meant both phys and magic were maintaining their boost. Not true.

I'm pretty sure I got off both a charged up physical and magical attack though? Like if after getting a free charge from Rise, I could cast a physical spell and see the double arrow still in effect but also letting me Power Charge again.

e: I think I misread. Yeah, you get one charged up physical and magical attack each.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Really Pants posted:

If you want even more things on your shelf, you can collect Persona figurines from the crane game at Okina. I prefer them over the models because they're cute. :3:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I only regret that there are only six spaces on the shelf. :negative:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Did you know that giving one of the female party members that skimpy outfit gets different dialog from them if you're in a relationship? Because it does.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I love how none of the 3D characters' faces actually emote.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They actually do emote a fair bit, but I've only ever seen Kanji do it in his victory pose. Obviously he's truly happiest when he's caving in Shadow skulls with a desk.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

carry on then posted:

I love how none of the 3D characters' faces actually emote.

What are you talking about? Look how happy he is!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

U.T. Raptor posted:

Did you know that giving one of the female party members that skimpy outfit gets different dialog from them if you're in a relationship? Because it does.

Oh my god

I thought only Naoto can wear that weird outfit though?

They added a lot of in-dungeon dialog, I'm never gonna see it all

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh my god

I'm not sure if it's based on being in a relationship, but in my game when I gave Yukiko the santa outfit she said she could wear it if we were spending Christmas Eve together (sadly, when the day came she didn't).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh my god

No, Chie and Yukiko get some pretty awful ones too, none compare to the thong and Naoto's crack though.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

This one cracked me up pretty good:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

HelmetCheese posted:

This one cracked me up pretty good:

It took me about thirty seconds to get it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Detective No. 27 posted:

If you make enough models (I believe it's 4) and display them on your shelf, you'll "feel more like a man" and get a boost to all of your social stats. Wish I knew that before I maxed everything out...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

If you make enough models (I believe it's 4) and display them on your shelf, you'll "feel more like a man" and get a boost to all of your social stats. Wish I knew that before I maxed everything out...

That's what pushed it over the edge and got me maxed out.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

U.T. Raptor posted:

I'm guessing this is why there was fanservicey dialogue from the maid outfits as well. It's worse than the chat from those outfits. Sometimes attention to detail is a bad thing.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
What terrible consequences are there to romancing more than one girl?
And can I romance Kanji?

I already asked Chie to be my girlfriend, and I don't want to make anyone else hate me by two (or three, four or five) timing.
On the other hand, I like some of the others too much to want to reject them. :sigh:

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

The_White_Crane posted:

And can I romance Kanji?

I already asked Chie to be my girlfriend, and I don't want to make anyone else hate me by two (or three, four or five) timing.
On the other hand, I like some of the others too much to want to reject them. :sigh:

I think it bites you in the rear end on Valentine's Day, not sure how it deals with any of the unique girlfriend events though?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

V-Day will be hell if you have multiple girlfriends.

(Marie is an exception though)

e;fb

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The_White_Crane posted:

None, really. You just feel like kind of a jerk on Valentine's Day. It doesn't impact the gameplay or story significantly.

quote:

And can I romance Kanji?
Unfortunately no :argh:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The_White_Crane posted:

And can I romance Kanji?

The game gives you a few opportunities to flirt with him, but you can't date him.:(

Always flirt with Kanji. He's the best. Also, it really pisses off Yosuke, and that's a good thing.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Not being able to date Kanji is really the only downfall of this game. If I could do it, he would beat everyone each and every time :sigh: I hear that if you date Naoto and bring Kanji and her into dungeons, she gives dialogue to the MC that makes Kanji look away sadly for a dialogue box or two. I can never bring myself to date Naoto and do that to him.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Okay, I think I'm starting to get a handle on how to complete every link.

Jester, Temperance, Death, and Hanged Man all need to be stalked obsessively from the minute they show up, because they're just not available often enough to skip.
Aeon needs a few levels before she calls in December.
You have more than enough evenings to max Justice, Heirophant, Devil, and Tower twice over.
Trying to finish any school kids' links ASAP means wasted days, because you miss out on extra points from tests, lunches, and Sunday calls. Does chilling in the evening give as many points as sharing lunch?
Where are you supposed to get those stupid beetles for the last Hermit quest? Is that one time on the shopping channel seriously all there is?

Am I missing anything else?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Really Pants posted:

Jester, Temperance, Death, and Hanged Man all need to be stalked obsessively from the minute they show up, because they're just not available often enough to skip.
You have more than enough evenings to max Justice, Heirophant, Devil, and Tower twice over.
Trying to finish any school kids' links ASAP means wasted days, because you miss out on extra points from tests, lunches, and Sunday calls. Does chilling in the evening give as many points as sharing lunch?
Where are you supposed to get those stupid beetles for the last Hermit quest? Is that one time on the shopping channel seriously all there is?

Ask the old man about bait for the river guardian and the Inaba Jewel Beetles will start spawning at the usual location. Ask about bait for the Sea Guardian and Genji Beetles will also start spawning there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Really Pants posted:

Hanged Man is available 5 days a week, it shouldn't be too much trouble to max it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Really Pants posted:

Hanged Man is available fairly often once you get to rank 2 I believe. You can find him at the upper north side of the shopping district Monday through Friday if I'm remembering right. He's pretty easy to rank up too.

Chilling in the evening is the equivalent of a lunch date more or less. Spend one night with someone and they are almost guaranteed to rank up next time you're out with them.

For the Hermit Quest:
-Ride your Scooter to the ocean and try to fish there. You need to take three long rides to get there. The game will say you can't and prompt you to see the old man.
-Ask the old man about it and agree to catch the River Guardian. Ask him about the bait the River Guardian likes and at night time you can start catching Jewel Beetles.
-Get the River Guardian and show it to the old man. He gives you the better rod and says you're ready to catch the Sea Guardian. Ask him about bait for the Sea Guardian and you can now catch Genji Beetles at night.
-Fish for the Sea Guardian. Make sure you read both fishing books, having diligence has high as possible for more fishing attempts, have a good amount of Genji Beetles, fish while it rains and pull the bait out if the ripples aren't very large.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

lotus circle posted:

Not being able to date Kanji is really the only downfall of this game. If I could do it, he would beat everyone each and every time :sigh: I hear that if you date Naoto and bring Kanji and her into dungeons, she gives dialogue to the MC that makes Kanji look away sadly for a dialogue box or two. I can never bring myself to date Naoto and do that to him.

Then don't bring Kanji into the dungeon and try out other characters? Don't really see the problem here.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Then don't bring Kanji into the dungeon and try out other characters? Don't really see the problem here.
It is a still a betrayal between bros :smith:

(I only kid, I know that but it's still funny to see the creators going that extra mile to make you feel bad)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Really Pants posted:

I don't think there is any particular rush with Temperance, other than just doing it occasionally. You can work on it over the Summer, after all. The only thing is that maxing out Understanding sort of opens up Tower a bit sooner. As long as you designate Friday as "The Temperance Day" and otherwise keep it lockstep with most of your other links you'll probably max it out just fine.

It isn't even the end of the world if you skip a couple of Death events. There are plenty of Sundays in this game, and she levels up every single time without fail so she's actually relatively easy to max. Just don't let her lag behind too much.

Jester, however, is definitely a link that should be maxed (that is, gotten to level 6) ASAP. He takes priority over everything else.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

lotus circle posted:

Me either, man. As much as I love Naoto, I couldn't bring myself to betray Kanji like that. If anything, I'd want to see the two of them hook up!

At least we get Beauty and the Beast. I might have to take some screenshots (unless someone else has some on hand) so that I can draw their cool pose together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The_White_Crane posted:

And can I romance Kanji?

No direct consequences, the game will just make you feel like a poo poo.

• Locked thread