Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm slowly getting the gear together to make it happen. Most of my stuff is packed away now but once I get to it, pinhole concert will be mine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

They made you shoot from the sound desk? :argh:

E: :argh: being at the people who made that rule, not you somnambulist... ;)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Nilson posted:

I shot these from my seat, i brought my dslr and 135mm f2 in. Well, they saw it but i played it off as being really casual and not doing this professionally.

:-D

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
That's the beauty of a NEX.

"Oh no, this is just a point and shoot."

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

HPL posted:

That's the beauty of a NEX.

"Oh no, this is just a point and shoot."

it was a 5d mark 3.

:lol:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Nilson posted:

Muse have had that since 2011 if I believe correctly.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

drat. I'll have to remember to rent a decent zoom next time they're here.

Although I have seen images shot on this tour from the front pit, which gives me some hope. The last stage design was restrictive due to moving cameras on dollys at the front of the stage.

(Sorry, I'm a bit of a fan. Spent 5 gigs on the barrier last time they were down here. Lame, I know. :smith: )

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Nilson posted:

drat. I'll have to remember to rent a decent zoom next time they're here.

Although I have seen images shot on this tour from the front pit, which gives me some hope. The last stage design was restrictive due to moving cameras on dollys at the front of the stage.

(Sorry, I'm a bit of a fan. Spent 5 gigs on the barrier last time they were down here. Lame, I know. :smith: )

ain't nothing to apologize for, they put on a stellar live show even if their last couple of albums were incredibly lame.

Muse photo retrospective time!

Muse_016 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Muse_017 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Muse_007 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Muse_64 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Muse_55 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Muse_52 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Muse_15 by Kent, J, on Flickr

These last 3 are from their (as far as i know) first show in Portland, in 2004. probably only ~500 people in the room and I was still shooting film at the time.

Matt Bellamy of Muse by Kent, J, on Flickr

Chris Wolstenhome of Muse by Kent, J, on Flickr

Chris Wolstenhome of Muse by Kent, J, on Flickr

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

drat they look so young in those last ones. The film with red light looks pretty neat.

Content:

Shot Big Day Out here a week or so ago

Childish Gambino

Flea from the Chili Peppers...

Phil Jamieson from Grinspoon

And just because I like playing around with the 8-14mm fisheye occasionally...

Sydney Big Day Out.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Woah, Flea looks disturbingly like Clint Eastwood.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

Oh damnit. Can't unsee that now...

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Laneway Festival; probably one of the best lineups in Australia's festival season this year (besides All Tomorrow's Parties, which I can't freakin' wait for).

Bat For Lashes

Cloud Nothings

Flume

Henry Wagons

Japandroids

Pond

The Rubens

I'm also heading over to America for my third SXSW and I'm hitting up LA for a week beforehand (going to shoot KMFDM!!); if anyone's around town and keen for beers let me know.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
Some shots of Sarah McLachlan from a private event.

Evilkiksass fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 6, 2013

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Where are the homeless dogs?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm not sure if any of you have been following this:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedceleb/the-unflattering-photos-beyonces-publicist-doesnt-want-you-t

but I've been having an interesting discussion with some concert photog friends about what the responsibilities of Getty's editors were in choosing those shots as selects to share out?

I kind of don't care about Beyonce and have heard horror stories about what it's like for concert photogs to shoot her but I'm a little surprised that some of these shots seem to have slipped through the cracks of Getty's quality control.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think. As a larger set of photos I thought the first set Buzzfeed posted was a fairly accurate representation of Beyonce's performance but taking those photos on their own merits there are some really unflattering shots in there.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

MMD3 posted:

I'm not sure if any of you have been following this:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedceleb/the-unflattering-photos-beyonces-publicist-doesnt-want-you-t

but I've been having an interesting discussion with some concert photog friends about what the responsibilities of Getty's editors were in choosing those shots as selects to share out?

I kind of don't care about Beyonce and have heard horror stories about what it's like for concert photogs to shoot her but I'm a little surprised that some of these shots seem to have slipped through the cracks of Getty's quality control.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think. As a larger set of photos I thought the first set Buzzfeed posted was a fairly accurate representation of Beyonce's performance but taking those photos on their own merits there are some really unflattering shots in there.

I think them doing this after the request for the PR will just make it harder to get photos, not easier. They already have stupid rules in place, and poo poo like that article isn't going to make them go "oh yeah, let's ease up on that a bit"; they're just going to start cracking down harder. It's stupid of Buzzfeed to have that; not to mention blatant click bait, as writers on Buzzfeed get paid according to the amount of page views.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

I, Butthole posted:

I think them doing this after the request for the PR will just make it harder to get photos, not easier. They already have stupid rules in place, and poo poo like that article isn't going to make them go "oh yeah, let's ease up on that a bit"; they're just going to start cracking down harder. It's stupid of Buzzfeed to have that; not to mention blatant click bait, as writers on Buzzfeed get paid according to the amount of page views.

I didn't realize their writers got paid based on page views, that's pretty outrageous... but from their point of view they really don't stand to lose anything, it doesn't surprise me that they'd do that at all, they don't care about how difficult it'll make it for concert photogs to shoot Beyonce. Personally I don't care how difficult Beyonce's publicists make it to shoot Beyonce either because based on stories like this I never want to shoot her but I could understand how it's going to be a pain going forward if you're working for Getty or Reuters or something.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/concertshots/discuss/72157600179673202/?search=beyonce

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Skinny Lister does know how to put on a show. Have an upright bass? Crowdsurf with it!

Skinny Lister by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

MMD3 posted:

I didn't realize their writers got paid based on page views, that's pretty outrageous... but from their point of view they really don't stand to lose anything, it doesn't surprise me that they'd do that at all, they don't care about how difficult it'll make it for concert photogs to shoot Beyonce. Personally I don't care how difficult Beyonce's publicists make it to shoot Beyonce either because based on stories like this I never want to shoot her but I could understand how it's going to be a pain going forward if you're working for Getty or Reuters or something.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/concertshots/discuss/72157600179673202/?search=beyonce

Admittedly, it starts off as Beyonce, but PR is usually handled by a firm; suddenly, it becomes firm-wide policy to veto photos/vet portfolios/impose more restrictions to get better results for the artist, then it becomes a defacto standard for that tier of artist; eventually, stuff like that filters down so that bands playing club shows take it into consideration with their PR/management. I honestly don't see this particular factor bringing anything forth, especially now that the internet has a hold of it and is savagely going over it, but word is that Blondie instituted the first three no flash rule, and now that's imposed on us in venues much smaller than she was playing at the time with bands much less likely to have the same holding power or even comparable popularity.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
When I shot Meshuggah, the media pass confirmation e-mail was kind of funny because the gist of it was: "You'd better bring a flash because the lighting is going to really suck."

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

I, Butthole posted:

Admittedly, it starts off as Beyonce, but PR is usually handled by a firm; suddenly, it becomes firm-wide policy to veto photos/vet portfolios/impose more restrictions to get better results for the artist, then it becomes a defacto standard for that tier of artist; eventually, stuff like that filters down so that bands playing club shows take it into consideration with their PR/management. I honestly don't see this particular factor bringing anything forth, especially now that the internet has a hold of it and is savagely going over it, but word is that Blondie instituted the first three no flash rule, and now that's imposed on us in venues much smaller than she was playing at the time with bands much less likely to have the same holding power or even comparable popularity.

yeah, this is essentially like the default policy now for all large-ish venues in my area now. It's like if a venue is big enough to have security and/or a photo/security pit then you can fully expect that a 3 song rule will be in place, incredibly lame. Thanks Blondie I guess? I'd never heard about the origin of the policy.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
One time I shot State of Shock and we were allowed to shoot the whole set because they were filming the set and I guess they wanted photographers there to make the band look all hot poo poo or something. Anyways, while the whole-set allowance was greatly appreciated, after about four songs, I was pretty much the last photographer in the pit, and I left soon after. Really, one can only take so many photos.

Having seen Motörhead in concert (holy poo poo, my iPhone autocorrected it to have an umlaut), I have no desire to photograph them as they are loving boring on stage. Oh look, Lemmy took a step back from the microphone!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

HPL posted:

One time I shot State of Shock and we were allowed to shoot the whole set because they were filming the set and I guess they wanted photographers there to make the band look all hot poo poo or something. Anyways, while the whole-set allowance was greatly appreciated, after about four songs, I was pretty much the last photographer in the pit, and I left soon after. Really, one can only take so many photos.

Having seen Motörhead in concert (holy poo poo, my iPhone autocorrected it to have an umlaut), I have no desire to photograph them as they are loving boring on stage. Oh look, Lemmy took a step back from the microphone!

Yeah, it's certainly not worth it for every band. You do find those bands though that inevitably do something epic during the encore and you are just kicking yourself for not being up front with your camera.

The Joy Formidable are my current favorite band to shoot, the last time I shot them I had a pass, got some alright shots from the sort of trench down the middle of the crowd that they have at this venue, and then immediately afterwards I went back into the crowd and worked my way to the front knowing I didn't want to miss whatever was to come.

Here's what the encore ended up looking like:

Joy_Formidable_332 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Joy_Formidable_329 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Joy_Formidable_382 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Joy_Formidable_385 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Joy_Formidable_390 by Kent, J, on Flickr

and I probably would've had some even better shots had I not decided I should be taking video:
https://vimeo.com/33503091

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

jackpot posted:

I just hope when they get to the show they find the same ridiculous rules that a lot of big acts have: first three songs only, must stand in this 10x10 spot with 20 other shooters, etc.

I went on kind of a rant on Flogging Molly's facebook post (they're doing the same thing, through the same company) and never got a reply from it (except for one pro shooter who agreed with me). And why should they reply? This is a great deal for them.

Honestly, this is probably one of the better ways for me. I have seen a surge of "you have been granted permission to shoot (the artist.) In exchange for shooting (the artist,) please submit all of your high rez pictures to be used as (the artist) sees fit, with no compensation of any kind. If fitting, (the artist) may provide credit but please be aware that is not always possible." If they have someone shooting for them and don't ask for my pictures, then so be it.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

pr0digal posted:

Though Charm City Art Space is great to shoot at

The one time I was there, the place was so packed that I was all the way back near the door, and still left covered in other people's sweat.

I guess that's what happens when you go see Defeater in a tiny room tho.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

HPL posted:

I really wanted to enter that contest and promote it by vowing to shoot the concert with a pinhole camera.
Not nearly as hardcore, but I was at a show over the summer and bumped into a guy shooting at the stage with a TLR. Granted it was a folk singer, and they don't move much, but I was still mighty impressed.

Eeek posted:

Honestly, this is probably one of the better ways for me. I have seen a surge of "you have been granted permission to shoot (the artist.) In exchange for shooting (the artist,) please submit all of your high rez pictures to be used as (the artist) sees fit, with no compensation of any kind. If fitting, (the artist) may provide credit but please be aware that is not always possible." If they have someone shooting for them and don't ask for my pictures, then so be it.
That all depends on how they want to handle it, because to me it sounds like that is what they're doing.

quote:

By entering the Contest, entrants irrevocably grant Sponsor, its subsidiaries, divisions, affiliates, designees, clients, sponsors, licensees, and advertising and promotional agencies, an unlimited, worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free, unconditional license and absolute right to edit, post, publish, store, copy, transmit, publicly display, and exhibit, the Work (in whole or in part) in connection with the Contest and/or the promotion of the Contest. Upon Sponsor's request, winners agree to sign any and all legal forms deemed necessary to license or assign all right, title and interest in and to the Work, including without limitation, all copyrights associated therewith, in exchange for the Prizes set forth above.

If you get to the show and there's a guy at the front gate with your photo pass in one hand and a form in the other, you're gonna sign that form or not get in the door. And sure, they can't take those photos out of your hand, and gently caress 'em if they try. But if they want to be hardasses about it, I'll bet they could really be nasty if you ever posted those photos anywhere outside of your living room. Because according to the rules you're signing on to, they own everything you do at that show, 100% and forever. It just seems like a really nasty, lovely deal.

Like HPL or someone said, for about five minutes more effort you could score a photo pass from some unknown local magazine and have all the fun with none of the hassle.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've shot shows with a Mamiya press camera, a Century Graphic, a Rolleiflex, a Mamiya 645 Pro, Contax T2, Olympus Stylus Epic and other such goodies.

The Rollei was probably the biggest pain in the butt because the focusing screen is dim and hard to use in low light.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Beginning to catch up on editing...

Wide Mouth Mason (90s cancon):

Imperative Reaction (electro-industrial):

Everything I'm going to post for a while will be from my RX-100. I lost my press-pass contact, but no one cares if I bring this little compact in.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

HPL posted:

I've shot shows with a Mamiya press camera, a Century Graphic, a Rolleiflex, a Mamiya 645 Pro, Contax T2, Olympus Stylus Epic and other such goodies.

The Rollei was probably the biggest pain in the butt because the focusing screen is dim and hard to use in low light.

Are there photos of you doing this? Please say there are.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Anti_Social posted:

And if there are you better be wearing a fedora with a press badge in the brim.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

jackpot posted:

And if there are you better be wearing a fedora with a press badge in the brim.

Anti_Social posted:

That was my halloween costume when I used the Mamiya Press.

I used the Century Graphic to photograph SNFU. I wish I could show the photos, but they're sitting in a box in storage, undeveloped.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

jackpot posted:

If you get to the show and there's a guy at the front gate with your photo pass in one hand and a form in the other, you're gonna sign that form or not get in the door. And sure, they can't take those photos out of your hand, and gently caress 'em if they try. But if they want to be hardasses about it, I'll bet they could really be nasty if you ever posted those photos anywhere outside of your living room. Because according to the rules you're signing on to, they own everything you do at that show, 100% and forever. It just seems like a really nasty, lovely deal.

Like HPL or someone said, for about five minutes more effort you could score a photo pass from some unknown local magazine and have all the fun with none of the hassle.

I'm not talking about the specific contest. I am talking about being a credintaled shooter, which I am. I shoot for a number of magazines and websites. What I am saying is let them have their contests. I would rather them get their pictures from these contests rather than asking for mine in exchange for shooting their show.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

New Order... from the back of a performance centre with a compact camera:

Saint Etienne:

...not sure how the last one came out of Lightroom posterized.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Last batch ... discarded all the Amanda Palmer ones.

Hehe ... Men Without Hats:

Helio Sequence (awesome shoegazer-esque Portland act):

Basia Bulat (local folk singer):

Posted this one from the same show a while ago:

Used Silver Efex on a few photos on the last two shows because the lighting was extremely garish most of the time, washing out their faces with red or cyan.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
love the Helio Sequence, great Portland duo!

Here's a pretty good read:
http://christiegoodwin.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/open-letter.html

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

MMD3 posted:

love the Helio Sequence, great Portland duo!
I loving love them, but it was depressing how few people were at the show. Really glad I got to see them at least.

Funny story ... they got me "into" the Beatles, when I realised Tomorrow Never Knows was a cover. (Obviously I was AWARE of the Beatles, but they're so ubiquitous I never got around to actually diving into the albums.)

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

Shot The Presets (again!) Home Sydney crowd going mad. So drat good.

The Presets - Enmore Theatre

This will be the 3rd time I've seen/shot them in about 6 months. Oops. :D

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Anti_Social posted:

The one time I was there, the place was so packed that I was all the way back near the door, and still left covered in other people's sweat.

I guess that's what happens when you go see Defeater in a tiny room tho.

Yeah, I got there really early and stood on the stage. But yes that is what happens when you see Defeater in a tiny room. Or Defeater in general.

Which reminds me: they're playing The Ottobar with Pianos Become The Teeth on the 23rd. I hate The Ottobar for photography and as much as I love Defeater I think I'm busy that weekend. Shame they're not on the Maryland date of Warped Tour.

Is anybody else shooting the Finch What It Is To Burn tour? I'm pretty stoked for that one.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Before I ask this, I haven't read through all 70+ pages yet, so if it's been answered already, just point me in that direction :)

I'm an amateur photographer. I in no way call myself a professional, nor do I charge for my photographs. I love taking photos at concerts and it's great to hear the music I enjoy live as well. Anyways, getting to the point, When I went to my last show, I ran into the bassist for a local band and we talked for a while and exchanged facebook info. Well, they liked some of the photos I posted of previous shows and asked me if I wanted to do some photography for them. What I'm wondering is if I should ask for any kind of pay for this? I mean, I'm happy to just not get charged cover charge or ticket price to get in the show. Also, would it be ok to post some of my photos for critique? Hell, I don't even know if my pictures are good or not. Because I don't want to mis-lead the band or anything into thinking I'm the best photographer in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Devyl posted:

Before I ask this, I haven't read through all 70+ pages yet, so if it's been answered already, just point me in that direction :)

I'm an amateur photographer. I in no way call myself a professional, nor do I charge for my photographs. I love taking photos at concerts and it's great to hear the music I enjoy live as well. Anyways, getting to the point, When I went to my last show, I ran into the bassist for a local band and we talked for a while and exchanged facebook info. Well, they liked some of the photos I posted of previous shows and asked me if I wanted to do some photography for them. What I'm wondering is if I should ask for any kind of pay for this? I mean, I'm happy to just not get charged cover charge or ticket price to get in the show. Also, would it be ok to post some of my photos for critique? Hell, I don't even know if my pictures are good or not. Because I don't want to mis-lead the band or anything into thinking I'm the best photographer in the world.

Post them! We all have varying styles of photography so I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

Also Flogging Molly. I need to not shoot at f/1.4 the entire night next time

Flogging Molly - 13 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr