Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theshim posted:

I had an accent once...

But I...

Threw it away.
The only accent I need... is right... here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nakar posted:

I don't get why people are more offended by Lissa's skirt than the toilet/rocket armor other characters like Sully and Kellam are wearing. It's based on a thing that actually exists and at least makes some small degree of sense for "armor a magical healer in a fantasy army might use." It's a perfectly valid design, and my only real problem with it is how bizarrely scrawny her legs are.

Also the Battle Cleric outfit upgrade uses the same rough thing and looks pretty badass.

Well the "toilet armor" portion of Sully's outfit is just a form of gorget or bevor neck armor, so I actually kind of like it. And Kellam's armor is just an extension of the ludicrous shoulder pads we're used to seeing in other games, really, so no one even really notices it. It's the overdesigned bits and bobs like the awkwardly placed spikes on the bottom of her dress that stick out for me. The rest of the costume I can just kind of accept, but those just push it over into stupid for me. They also don't matter because as far as I can tell they don't even appear on her character model, so :geno:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
She's also a princess, so I'm willing to give it to her. That poo poo on her head's worse than her skirt ever would be.

If anything, some of the designs in Awakening are more sleek and minimalist in some ways. The Pegasus Knights have pretty elaborate armor, but Sully and Stahl have fairly low-key stuff with general curves and not much embellishment.

Compare that to Titania's armor in Radiant Dawn. Her poo poo is more ornate and there's more overlapping plates and whatnot. I wouldn't say Awakening's stuff is substantially more overdesigned or anything, just considerably different.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Nakar posted:

I don't get why people are more offended by Lissa's skirt than the toilet/rocket armor other characters like Sully and Kellam are wearing. It's based on a thing that actually exists and at least makes some small degree of sense for "armor a magical healer in a fantasy army might use." It's a perfectly valid design, and my only real problem with it is how bizarrely scrawny her legs are.

Also the Battle Cleric outfit upgrade uses the same rough thing and looks pretty badass.

Eh, modern JRPG designers loving love European Renaissance/early modern fashions, probably because the obscene amounts of ruffles, lace, belts, straps, jewellery and other dangly bits appeal to their own baroque sensibilities. The problem for me is two-fold: on one hand the old design aesthetic was decidedly generic anime fantasy, but the series' continued use that aesthetic even as it went out of fashion gave it a throwback feel which contributed to its charms; now it just looks like every other me-too generic Final Fantasy haute couture slideshow - pretty, to be sure, but with none of the old clumsy charm.

The second is that it always feels odd to see 1600s and later fashions being used in a decidedly medieval, pre-gunpowder setting. There is no real reason for fantasy designs to need look medieval, but taking cues from a certain era of history while the actual gameplay is influenced by a completely different period always felt weird and unfortunately that weirdness isn't present for any aesthetic reason other than to look like a bland example of the current JRPG design paradigm to ensure sufficient market penetration.

It won't really affect the game itself, but as pretty as the pictures are I feel the designs are just aggressively bland.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lotish posted:

Well the "toilet armor" portion of Sully's outfit is just a form of gorget or bevor neck armor, so I actually kind of like it. And Kellam's armor is just an extension of the ludicrous shoulder pads we're used to seeing in other games, really, so no one even really notices it. It's the overdesigned bits and bobs like the awkwardly placed spikes on the bottom of her dress that stick out for me. The rest of the costume I can just kind of accept, but those just push it over into stupid for me. They also don't matter because as far as I can tell they don't even appear on her character model, so :geno:

THe real deal breaker on Lissa's thing is not only that it has spikes, but that the spikes are curved inward. Why would you do that? :psyduck:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Virion's design is great. I will fight you.

EDIT: Also it's not like old FE games didn't have their over-designed moments.

What the hell is going on with your horse, Renning.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 25, 2013

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
My spergy they-changed-it-now-it-sucks complaint is that the mages have big dumb cliché wizard hats. I agree that with the seinen shift Awakening has lost its visual "brand" but the S/FC Fire Emblems were contemporaneous with the 80s and early 90s anime that the GBA and Tellius games throw back to. It has always been a generic JRPG/anime style, so it's hard getting too bent out of shape about it. The new knight and cavalier armors are at least interesting.

Edit: Oh, yeah, giving manaketes anime elf ears is pretty terrible too.

Francis fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 25, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The only Manakate that hasn't had anime elf ears up to this point is Myrrh... and if you count the FE9/10 dragons, neither Kurth nor his dad have them. All the others do.

I find the designs aesthetically pleasing and consistent and that's all that matters to me.

Anyway! Here's a video with the special edition FE 3DS being showed off.

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 25, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Francis posted:

Edit: Oh, yeah, giving manaketes anime elf ears is pretty terrible too.
They already had those, didn't they?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
One question I don't think I've seen asked yet: does Awakening do anything like Sword of Seals or Mystery of the Emblem, where if you don't do something earlier in the game you can end the game early with a "bad" ending? Or is the ending always the same outside of what happens with supports?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

EDIT: Also it's not like old FE games didn't have their over-designed moments.

Virion is great, and there are plenty of good designs in Awakening. Particularly, Basilio strikes me as stylized in a way that doesn't tip over the edge into "THIS IS STUPID". Stahl and Sully look great, as do the Pegasus Riders. The issue is that those who offend, do so in remarkably bizarre ways.

Lissa, Frederick, Chrom, Cherche what the gently caress is going on with your EVERYTHING.

Edit: Gangrel has some strong design to him as well. Take one good look at him and you immediately know that somebody made Mark Hamill's Joker a King.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

anti_strunt posted:

The second is that it always feels odd to see 1600s and later fashions being used in a decidedly medieval, pre-gunpowder setting. There is no real reason for fantasy designs to need look medieval, but taking cues from a certain era of history while the actual gameplay is influenced by a completely different period always felt weird and unfortunately that weirdness isn't present for any aesthetic reason other than to look like a bland example of the current JRPG design paradigm to ensure sufficient market penetration.

It won't really affect the game itself, but as pretty as the pictures are I feel the designs are just aggressively bland.

They have magic. When you have magic you don't need gunpowder.

You still need to develop frilly clothes, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

One question I don't think I've seen asked yet: does Awakening do anything like Sword of Seals or Mystery of the Emblem, where if you don't do something earlier in the game you can end the game early with a "bad" ending? Or is the ending always the same outside of what happens with supports?

There's limited variation, unless I missed something big, you won't be locked into a bad ending.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Endorph posted:

They already had those, didn't they?

I worded that poorly. Manaketes have always had elf ears, and Tiki's ears seem to grow larger with each remake, but they've never gone full Lodoss War until now.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Aside from Chrom, everyone you don't pair up doesn't have children and you miss the sidequest they'd be recruited from. None of that affects the ending, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Francis posted:

I worded that poorly. Manaketes have always had elf ears, and Tiki's ears seem to grow larger with each remake, but they've never gone full Lodoss War until now.
Eh, the ear sizes have varied. They're not manaketes, but the bird laguz in FE9/10 had pretty big ears. As for the actual manakete, Tiki's in the original games were small and curled, Fa in FE6 had short ears, and Idoun's weren't that long but were a lot wider. I don't mind this game's manaketes having big ears, since, like I said, it's varied from setting to setting. It's probably unintentional but I've always thought that was nice. I don't think we've quite reached Lodoss War territory either, mostly because I remember those ears being ridiculous while FE13's seem just sort of big.

Call me an elf ear expert.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Francis posted:

Aside from Chrom, everyone you don't pair up doesn't have children and you miss the sidequest they'd be recruited from. None of that affects the ending, though.
The sidequest should show up if you ever do pair them, however. The main concern would be I think Sumia, as unlike most females she has a limited pool of male pairing options and in theory if you pair all of her options with somebody else you won't ever get her child.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

Be sure to keep us posted about the essay. :anime:

I was going through the site again, and I noticed Donny refers to Chrom as "Your Majestyful". :allears:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Endorph posted:

Just don't link us to your DeviantArt account that probably more than likely exists and I think we're good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Just don't link us to your DeviantArt account that probably more than likely exists and I think we're good.
Don't worry I can't draw for poo poo.

Though thinking about it that isn't a good argument for my not having a deviantart.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Francis posted:

I agree that with the seinen shift Awakening has lost its visual "brand" but the S/FC Fire Emblems were contemporaneous with the 80s and early 90s anime that the GBA and Tellius games throw back to. It has always been a generic JRPG/anime style, so it's hard getting too bent out of shape about it.

Yes.

Aphrodite posted:

They have magic. When you have magic you don't need gunpowder.

You still need to develop frilly clothes, though.

You could do plenty of highly stylised designs based on actual medieval fashions; it's just rarely been tried. It always feels like a loss when obviously talented designers go back to the same old well for inspiration. But, see above...

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 25, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Wow he really is Miles Edgeworth with a bow. That's fantastic.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

With all this talk of character designs I looked up some of the official artwork for FE1 and oh my god

If I didn't already have Doga/Draug I'd be all over this.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I have a couple questions since these mechanics are totally new to me. I've only played the Wii game and a bit of the GBA ones.

Cake Attack posted:

Inheritance:

Like in Genealogy of the Holy War, children are tied to a specific mother. Growths and bases are assumed to be inherit, however exact information is yet to be known. What is known is the children inherit:

i) Max stat modifiers from their parents: All units have small modifiers to their class bases, Children characters inherit the sum of these modifiers, leading to higher, or lower, caps.

Is there a non-spoiler source for these base stats? I tried looking on Wikia but they haven't invented spoiler tags there. Also for who can support, unless that's viewable ingame.

If I want to keep the Avatar versatile, what would be a good stat to neglect? Can I get by on just one of Skill or Luck?

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Mordecai posted:

Is there a non-spoiler source for these base stats? I tried looking on Wikia but they haven't invented spoiler tags there. Also for who can support, unless that's viewable ingame.

If I want to keep the Avatar versatile, what would be a good stat to neglect? Can I get by on just one of Skill or Luck?

The Awakening section of Serenes has all the supports and stat modifiers and such if you look around. Does have some spoilers for who can be recruited, though.

And from what I hear, +Spd -Luck, for total modifiers of -1 Str/Mag/Luck, +4 Spd and +2 Skl is considered the best combo for pure mixmaxing. -Skl is probably a worse option, since Skl has the activation rates for a bunch of useful offensive skills running off it, while Luck only has two skills, and the only one worth using outside very specialized builds can still get its activation rate into the low 80s naturally with a Luck penalty.

Pretty much anything but -Str or -Mag should leave the Avatar versatile enough to be solid in most any class, though, so if you're not going straight for Lunatic and/or a team of optimized demigods, it probably doesn't matter too much what flaw you pick.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mordecai posted:

I have a couple questions since these mechanics are totally new to me. I've only played the Wii game and a bit of the GBA ones.

I think the best combo for blaanced growth is +res/-luck. It gives you 50 for the main attack stats and the lowest growth is 40 for Res/Def. I also like +SPD/-RES for higher combat stat growth, though your res will take a giant dump to about 20%. However, Luck and Speed growths will be so high you'll rarely get hit.

EDIT: I've been using this: http://serenesforest.net/fe13/char_growth_all.html - just play with the drop down boxes at the top and check the growths for MU. You don't have to scroll any further than that. The rest is just names.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 26, 2013

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've had a lot of success with +def/-luk in lunatic. +hp would probably do the same thing--the point is to just escape the awkward stage where you get 2hkoed as quickly as possible. Chrom gives a large spd bonus when paired, so your offense will take care of itself.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mordecai posted:

Oh hey, whoops, I meant to say class caps, not bases. We still don't know how base stats are inherited.

There's a list of each parent's max modifiers on Serenes Forest, but it's got some recruitment spoilers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

Oh hey, whoops, I meant to say class caps, not bases. We still don't know how base stats are inherited.

There's a list of each parent's max modifiers, but it's got some recruitment spoilers.

We actually do know how bases are inherited! It's the three way average between the mother's base stats, the father's base stats, and the child's inherent base stats (all done before class bases are added in, of course).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

We actually do know how bases are inherited! It's the three way average between the mother's base stats, the father's base stats, and the child's inherent base stats (all done before class bases are added in, of course).

Are growths known as well? The inheritance section on SF said neither was known, but looking again it hasn't been updated since July.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

Are growths known as well? The inheritance section on SF said neither was known, but looking again it hasn't been updated since July.

Yeah, it's the same thing--a three way average between the growths of the mother, father, and child. Serenes has the formulas listed in the base stats and growths pages but apparently not the inheritance page.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

The base growths page under character growths has them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/char_growth_all.html

This page is tearing me apart. I can't settle on a strength and flaw for My Unit! I can't settle on a waifu! What do I loving do! :negative:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Captain Oblivious posted:

This page is tearing me apart. I can't settle on a strength and flaw for My Unit! I can't settle on a waifu! What do I loving do! :negative:

Let Jesus take the wheel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Take a deep breath and select +Speed/-Luck and pick whichever character you hate the least. You're not gonna have a perfect awesome party your first time through, so just go with the flow.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Currently planning on playing the game on Hard since it sounds like Normal is way too easy. Especially in light of the many sort of power creep-y features in Awakening.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I'm going to man up and pussy out by playing Hard Casual. Still gonna reset whenever someone dies, though, it's mainly for the save function.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I'm going to man up and pussy out by playing Hard Casual. Still gonna reset whenever someone dies, though, it's mainly for the save function.

That was my decision as well. Hard will still punish you if you're extra stupid (at least early on) but it's not hair-pulling frustrating either. The save just ices it for me too. And I wont feel like savescumming if I lose someone during a battle, which frankly is the most frustrating thing about Fire Emblem to me anyway.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

If you go to hard right away does that disable tutorials? I love a challenge but my knowledge of how everything works is a bit limited. I know for FE12 picking anything but normal disabled tutorials.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Evil Canadian posted:

If you go to hard right away does that disable tutorials? I love a challenge but my knowledge of how everything works is a bit limited. I know for FE12 picking anything but normal disabled tutorials.

I believe you can turn them back on in the menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

Tutorials are just guide entries that show up on the bottom screen. You can check them all before they even show up in-game in fact.

• Locked thread