Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Also, related, is there a generally accepted pairings list for the best results for children? Just out of curiosity, because I know FE4 has something similar.
There isn't one yet, and frankly it's a lot harder to screw yourself over in this game than it is in FE4. Look at the growth rates thing on Serenes Forest, the growths change by maybe 5% max barring Donny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Iron Rose posted:

Question.

What the gently caress is a waifu?

Also, related, is there a generally accepted pairings list for the best results for children? Just out of curiosity, because I know FE4 has something similar.

It is a silly phrase for wife. Originally used to make fun of weeaboos who got worked up over dating sims 'n stuff, I believe.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

BrightWing posted:

My turn! At what point does Chrom have to get married? I heard it was plot mandated, so I want to know about how much time I have to get Chrom a wife that can pump up the kids skill stat.

If this should be behind spoiler tags or removed or something, just say so and it shall be done.

What Cake Attack said, though note that it's apparently generous in that Chrom just goes down the list and marries whoever he likes most even if he doesn't have an S with anyone.

Making Chrom marry a nameless villager sounds like a fun, if pointless challenge.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Francis posted:

What Cake Attack said, though note that it's apparently generous in that Chrom just goes down the list and marries whoever he likes most even if he doesn't have an S with anyone.

Making Chrom marry a nameless villager sounds like a fun, if pointless challenge.

Yeah, I heard that happens if you take to long or whatever. Thanks guys! Time for some research.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chrom marries a random villager, if, and only if, all of his possible pairings are either dead or paired by chapter 11. His pairing options are Sully, Female My Unit, Sumia, Maribelle, and Olivia, for the curious, so that requires pairing up or killing off at least four units by chapter 11. Five if you have a female my unit.

Also she's not faceless. She has a face. This face.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That's a dude.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Francis posted:

The biggest problem with reinforcements in 6 is that the maps just aren't large enough for them to be fair regardless of where they spawn.

I'm curious how a rule that reinforcements can move but not attack when they spawn would play. Ideally reinforcement location and timing would be sane enough that this wouldn't actually be noticable in practice. Dragons up in your grill are cool, but getting sniped from nowhere is not.

...X-Com:Enemy Unknown rules?

...Now I'm imagining those little cutscenes except it's when they show up.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

The Iron Rose posted:

Question.

What the gently caress is a waifu?

No! That way lies madness!

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

The Iron Rose posted:

Adding to what was said earlier, while growths don't vary much, stat modifiers can vary substantially depending on pairings, and there's inherited classes to consider, both of which are more important in the long run. So you can still screw over some of the kids pretty badly (at least by this game's standards) if you pick fathers that offer mostly bad/redundant classes or have highly mismatched mods.

Also, if they bring back the generation system in the future, I kinda hope they completely even out the numbers somehow. I put together a (mostly) complete blueprint for what I think is a decently optimized eugenics plan, and it annoys me that I've got three dudes left over. It was one thing in FE4 when a bunch of the fathers were varying degrees of terrible, but all of these guys have some pretty good stuff they could be passing down that's just going to waste.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shiny777 posted:

So you can still screw over some of the kids pretty badly (at least by this game's standards)
I mostly meant in comparison to FE4. FE13's definition of screwing over the kids is 'wasting good skills and classes', FE4's is '10% magic growth on a mage," or "20% strength growth on an archer." The worst you can do in FE13 is make a unit less than they could be. FE4 lets you make a unit essentially dead weight.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Of course, all the kids are basically Est/Nino/Whatever so they're all kind of dead weight regardless.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Francis posted:

Of course, all the kids are basically Est/Nino/Whatever so they're all kind of dead weight regardless.

Not really, they come at level 10 with high inherited stats from their parents, c ranks in their weapons and with four skills halfway through the game. You can promote all of them immediately and have them start wrecking faces, or change seal them etc.

And unlike Est/Nino their growths tend to be slightly worse than their parents (though more well rounded). Its just their stat caps which can be significantly higher.

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 27, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zore posted:

Not really, they come at level 10 with high inherited stats from their parents, c ranks in their weapons and with four skills halfway through the game. You can promote all of them immediately and have them start wrecking faces, or change seal them etc.

And unlike Est/Nino their growths tend to be slightly worse than their parents (though more well rounded). Its just their stat caps which can be significantly higher.

I thought stat caps were determined by your class?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Here's a brief "How to Eugenics" in case anyone just wants a quick cliff notes sort of deal on what to watch out for:

1) Stat Caps
Each character has their own individual set of stat cap modifiers. This is added to normal class stat caps, giving each character a little diversity in their portfolio.
For the kids, their stat cap modifiers are the sum of the father's and the mother's, +1
Father: +1 Str, -2 Mag, +0 Luk
Mother: 0 Str, +1 Mag, +1 Luk
Kid: +2 Str, +0 Mag, +2 Luk
Stat Cap modifiers for all the parents can be found here, courtesy of Serenes Forest (some character spoilers).

2) Class Sets
For the first generation, each character has a total of three base classes they are free to class change to at anytime, along with their respective advanced classes.
For the kids, they will inherit the class options of both their father and mother. There are a couple of caveats to this:
- Dancer and Lord classes cannot be inherited, but Manaketes, Taguels, and Villagers (Villagers to sons only) can.
- Gender-specific classes will be changed. For example, a father that would normally pass on the male-only fighter class to his son will pass on pegasus knight to his daughter, instead. This is actually character-specific as opposed to class-specific, as one father may have fighter --> pegasus knight while another may have fighter --> knight.
- Since the Avatar can swap to any class (again, excluding special classes and gender specific classes), so too can their kids.

3) Skills
Each parent will pass on their fifth and/or last slotted skill to their kid. This is decided as soon as you enter the sidequest that you recruit their respective kid from, so you have all the time in the world to grind up your skills before you start the mission**. The important note about this mechanic is that you can pass on skills that are normally tied to gender-specific to kids of the opposite gender. For example, women with access to Lightning Speed(!!) can pass on that skill to their sons, who normally would be unable to class change to pegasus knight and unlock it. This also applies to skills that are tied to special classes as well, (outside of DLC classes).

The real spergy part of it, is that some parents will pass on better classes to kids of the opposite gender than others. Here's a quick list of the important ones:
Gaius --> Will pass on pegasus knight (lightning speed) to daughters
Donnel --> Will pass on pegasus knight (lightning speed) to daughters
Vaike --> Will pass on mercenary (armsthrift) to daughters

**There is one special exception to this, where there is a time-limit: While most other kids are recruited in sidequests that can be done at anytime, Chrom's kid will auto-join by Chapter 13.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 29, 2013

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Captain Oblivious posted:

I thought stat caps were determined by your class?

Everyone has personal modifiers on top of that now too. For instance a +MAG -DEF Avatar has +4. to magic, +2 to speed, +1 to resistance, -3 to defense and -1 to luck caps. Most other characters have less dramatic caps.... except for children who inherit the sum of their parents caps +1 in every stat. Pairing that Avatar with Tharja will give their children +8 to their magic cap, among other things. Certain pairings with the Avatar can get ridiculous bonuses.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Given the inheritance rules and example class swaps noted above, it's worth taking into consideration for god-teams that pairing Donnel, Gaius, and a male Avatar with some combination of Sully, Tharja and Nowi potentially gets you Lightning Speed on all but three kids (who are hosed out of it no matter what you do).

Because you can never have too much Lightning Speed.

Also, a couple things that weren't noted in the explanation. If either of the parents doesn't have five skills, they pass down whatever's in their next-highest filled slot. And there are, from what I've seen, contradictory reports on when the kid's skills are fixed. Some say entering the sidequest and leaving without actually starting it locks them in, others say it's not set in stone until you actually play the map. Third, special classes actually vary a bit in whether or not they can be passed down. Lord, Dancer, and (endgame character spoiler)Overlord can't be passed on, but male descendants of Donnel can inherit Villager, and you can score an extra Manakete or Taguel by pairing the Avatar with one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Can you adjust the order of your skills, or is that sort of thing fixed?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Captain Oblivious posted:

Can you adjust the order of your skills, or is that sort of thing fixed?

Yes, of course. You are free to swap around between any you have unlocked at any time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

Yes, of course. You are free to swap around between any you have unlocked at any time.

Thank god. I wasn't sure how much Intelligent Systems hates me. I mean they act all fine but...but sometimes they hit us :negative:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bloodly posted:

...X-Com:Enemy Unknown rules?

...Now I'm imagining those little cutscenes except it's when they show up.

gently caress XCOM. I had a bunch Mutons bug into vision and then attack my not-behind-cover Heavy and killed him. Sorry I needed to vent :(:

Do you have to do the sidequest for the kids? Can you put it off and do it whenever you want?

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

All sidequests can be put off as long as you want.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Endorph posted:

Chrom marries a random villager, if, and only if, all of his possible pairings are either dead or paired by chapter 11. His pairing options are Sully, Female My Unit, Sumia, Maribelle, and Olivia, for the curious, so that requires pairing up or killing off at least four units by chapter 11. Five if you have a female my unit.

IIRC, Chrom also goes for the nameless girl if, somehow, he does not have a single level of support-affection for any of the candidates. This pretty much means having him stand next to exactly zero female characters, ever. It takes effort. In the event of a support level tie between candidates, one is apparently picked out of a priority of Sumia-Maribelle-Sully-Olivia-Avatar, Sumia being first. Of course, whoever has highest rank with Chrom gets priority over anything else, so if Avatar has A or S rank with everyone else at B or below, Avatar and Chrom will enter blissful matrimony.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
There is something I don't understand, though: Is it like in FE4, where there is a time gap between playing as parents and as children and the parents don't fight with their kids for whatever reason, or can both generation fight together? I'd prefer not to have the plot spoiled to me, though, I just would like to know how it works gameplay-wise.

V Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

VV Cheers.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 27, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

But... that's the same thing. We can't explain something like that without giving plot spoilers. But if you REALLY HAVE to know: Parents and children fight side by side.

Anyway, Frederick and Chrom certainly does seem to have some... interesting support conversations.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Iceclaw posted:

There is something I don't understand, though: Is it like in FE4, where there is a time gap between playing as parents and as children, and the parents don't fight with their kids for whatever reason? I'd prefer not to have the plot spoiled to me, though, I just would like to know how it works gameplay-wise.

The parents do fight alongside their children.

Well, I've been listening to the soundtrack (since I need to hype myself up even more) and I'm really hoping that the 92 track CD makes it over internationally because it's legitimately a wonderful thing. It feels quite different from the older OSTs, with vocal (uh chanting anyone?) bits, and an emphasis on strings.

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMfvY1S-j67k

This is probably my favourite track so far. Polsy'd in the interest of not attracting spoilers, so seriously listen to it. :allears:

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 27, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Terper posted:

Anyway, Frederick and Chrom certainly does seem to have some... interesting support conversations.

Chrom as Justice(The sword and scale)? Hmm.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

SC Bracer posted:

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMfvY1S-j67k

This is probably my favourite track so far. Polsy'd in the interest of not attracting spoilers, so seriously listen to it. :allears:

Whose sister's words are being mocked when this plays? And why are the words so mocked?

Ern Malley fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 28, 2013

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
So when you're tapping the character portraits on the bottom screen, is the graph that appears showing the growths from that class or is it showing something else?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

RuBisCO posted:

3) Skills
Each parent will pass on their fifth slotted skill to their kid. This is decided as soon as you enter the sidequest that you recruit their respective kid from, so you have all the time in the world to grind up your skills before you start the mission**. The important note about this mechanic is that you can pass on skills that are normally tied to gender-specific to kids of the opposite gender. For example, women with access to Lightning Speed(!!) can pass on that skill to their sons, who normally would be unable to class change to pegasus knight and unlock it. This also applies to skills that are tied to special classes as well, (outside of DLC classes).

What if the parent has only 4 or less skills total? Does it go to the last active skill, or does not pass a skill at all?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Neo_Crimson posted:

What if the parent has only 4 or less skills total? Does it go to the last active skill, or does not pass a skill at all?

I believe it's been mentioned that it's the last active skill.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ohtsam posted:

So when you're tapping the character portraits on the bottom screen, is the graph that appears showing the growths from that class or is it showing something else?
I don't think it's really showing anything in particular, just the general 'idea' of the class, stat-wise.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Is casual and classic a toggle-able thing or a one-time choice at the start? If it's something you only pick at the beginning I might just have to play on casual. I can't see myself playing Katarina's dlc with permanent death.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Is casual and classic a toggle-able thing or a one-time choice at the start? If it's something you only pick at the beginning I might just have to play on casual. I can't see myself playing Katarina's dlc with permanent death.

One-time thing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I figure you can just pop it on and then play any way you want. You can still ape the feel of Classic by not battle saving and resetting any time you lose a dude I guess. Or just letting them die and taking them out of rotation for the rest of the game, I dunno. I am super glad they included the option, personally!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I'm probably gonna go Casual if just to avoid the teeth-grinding irritation of "someone dies an hour into a map and on the second attempt everyone gets significantly worse levels."

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Slate Action posted:

I'm probably gonna go Casual if just to avoid the teeth-grinding irritation of "someone dies an hour into a map and on the second attempt everyone gets significantly worse levels."

Yeah, I'm doing it for a number of reasons as well, including that and the ability to scum for levelups if I want to. I'm weak so I will probably do that often if the Fire Emblem gods are cruel. Though, given my experience with the demo I've had a good level/bad level ratio of about 10:1. Growths seem so high in Awakening. 6-7 stat ups on MU or Chrom were not uncommon on some playthroughs.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Growths are quite high indeed. Lissa's got like a 60% HP growth as a Cleric and she's one of the fragile ones. +HP Avatar can have well over 100% HP growth in a number of classes. A 30-40% is considered a "low" growth in a stat.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Nakar posted:

Growths are quite high indeed. Lissa's got like a 60% HP growth as a Cleric and she's one of the fragile ones. +HP Avatar can have well over 100% HP growth in a number of classes. A 30-40% is considered a "low" growth in a stat.
To elaborate on this: someone pointed out that Chrom's growths are equal or superior in everything but Magic and Resistance to FE9 Ike. I don't think you'll need to reset for levels in any real measure.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

theshim posted:

To elaborate on this: someone pointed out that Chrom's growths are equal or superior in everything but Magic and Resistance to FE9 Ike. I don't think you'll need to reset for levels in any real measure.

I had to check this and it's true. For example, Chrom has double the Luck growth of FE9 Ike :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Sometimes, a game just wants to let you break things.

Though, something to note:

FE4 had a bunch of amazing units with no reason not to field them. Then we got FE5.

FE10 culminated in a massive horde of units, most of which had at least some potential to be great when they got there. Then we got FE11.

FE13 gives you good growths across the board, and a reclass/skill system that really lets you wreck things.

I dread FE14.

• Locked thread