Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I was planning on getting drunk and rewatching the DVD version of Bonanza Bros tonight, but now you guys totally changed my plans in the best way possible since I don't think I've ever seen this episode. Thank you guys in advance in case I get too drunk and possibly pass out. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I suppose I should mention that it's not an encoding error at the end when the episode cuts off. The copy of the master with the best video that we could find had the contest bit and king's parting message removed. I think you all know how that goes by this point, but for those who miss it:

"One viewer will receive a signed copy of today's game and a business card. Now here's a message from the king."

"The king muttered something."

"Blah blah blah, something related to the episode."

"Please take this message to the website."

"Hint that the next episode is Kirby."

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Zari-gani, I am always impressed with your art. That thumbnail was great.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I think I have a new candidate for most irritating low health notification ever.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vlaphor posted:

I think I have a new candidate for most irritating low health notification ever.

I'm gonna have to watch this, but before that I'll contend that nothing beats Startropics on that front. nothing

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Really? I guess I just tuned it out. I always did like how the tune would play in sync with your weapon.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

"What the?? Tons of foreigners talking to me!"

Just after I finally added him, too! I'm glad I hadn't said anything to him yet, or I'd think he was talking about me. :ohdear:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Ask him about those lyrics.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

He must be so confused as to why more than half of his followers are suddenly foreigners.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Well that certainly was an ending. I'VE GOTTA BE IN DIET

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

He must be so confused as to why more than half of his followers are suddenly foreigners.

Meitantei Arino and the case of the multiplying foreigners.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Just when you thought it was safe to go floating above lakes using a pair of balloons strapped to your back. It's Balloon Fight again! You'll find out the real reason why Balloon Fight is the first Virtual Console game available for the Wii U...

This challenge is brought to you by the only person to ever circumnavigate the globe using just launch chairs, weather balloons, and a bb gun, it's the FAA-flouting zari-gani.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 339.30 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

For those who care about these things, the previous Balloon Fight segment that was translated is not officially considered part of Nintendo Channel episodes, even though it was shot by Gascoin and had a challenge in it. It's placed under the Iwata Asks series and doesn't count. This is continuing the series of challenges that started on the Wii and eventually moved to the 3DS so it is officially considered part of that series.

Frankly, that's all kind of confusing. For keeping things straight it's easier to merge all the stuff produced for Nintendo into one category. So that's what's happening here with the numbering. I also don't break down the multipart challenges made for Nintendo. That would just be another pointless headache.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Sort it however makes you happy, I'm happy just watching these. Thanks! :love:

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Great upload, I love watching the NC Challenges. Though I would count the Balloon fight NC episode as a challenge even though it was an Iwata Asks.

bpc908 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 27, 2013

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Just when you thought it was safe to go floating above lakes using a pair of balloons strapped to your back. It's Balloon Fight again! You'll find out the real reason why Balloon Fight is the first Virtual Console game available for the Wii U...

This challenge is brought to you by the only person to ever circumnavigate the globe using just launch chairs, weather balloons, and a bb gun, it's the FAA-flouting zari-gani.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 339.30 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

For those who care about these things, the previous Balloon Fight segment that was translated is not officially considered part of Nintendo Channel episodes, even though it was shot by Gascoin and had a challenge in it. It's placed under the Iwata Asks series and doesn't count. This is continuing the series of challenges that started on the Wii and eventually moved to the 3DS so it is officially considered part of that series.

Frankly, that's all kind of confusing. For keeping things straight it's easier to merge all the stuff produced for Nintendo into one category. So that's what's happening here with the numbering. I also don't break down the multipart challenges made for Nintendo. That would just be another pointless headache.

I watched the raw of this yesterday. Glad it got subbed so quickly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
My favorite part about the Layla episode is how during the third stage, Arino says something and his mouth is clearly full of candy and poo poo.

InsaneDavid
Oct 22, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I'm gonna have to watch this, but before that I'll contend that nothing beats Startropics on that front. nothing

Except for StarTropics II, of course.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
You guys spoil us rotten and I love you for it. I watched the Layla episode last night and just finished the Balloon Fight Part 2 minisode, and both were excellent as always (even though I was a little too drunk to remember a lot of the more minor details about the Layla episode). :)

Gutcruncher posted:

Going by how many people showed up to see him in person during the Musee Mechanique and LA meet-and-greet during the GCCX in the USA speical, the faxes from outside of Japan in the 40th birthday live show, and how well the translated DVDs did, I wouldn't think he'd be surprised/confused about having a ton foreign followers unless it hasn't sunk in yet that he's now famous internationally.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That make-up is really disturbing.

Love the challenge, though. Arino showed again some luck mixed with skill, which makes watching him tackle these last-minute victories so interesting. Loved how they finally succeeded.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 27, 2013

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I love how Arino still thinks that Hold Left and Press Start trick works on every NES game. Though to be fair I never even knew about that until he showed me in another episode.
Also 12 Celsius is nowhere near loving cold Arino :colbert: it's like 4 Celsius here if you're lucky but being winter it's down to around 1.

So I see that Yoshi's Island is the latest game that Game Center CX have done. I cannot WAIT for you guys to translate that one, that's gonna be FUN hopefully! Thanks so much for doing this guys, I got like two other people into this show already, it's just so fun to watch!

But I need to ask, why do so many Japanese games have English instructions AND letters for passwords in their games? Is the English alphabet that well-known amongst Japanese, or is it that distinct enough with each letter that it makes a great password system?

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 27, 2013

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

Also 12 Celsius is nowhere near loving cold Arino :colbert: it's like 4 Celsius here if you're lucky but being winter it's down to around 1.

Here in Finland it's not uncommon to get -30 C every now and then in the winter... (although not usual. Normally around -10.)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

FinalGamer posted:

I love how Arino still thinks that Hold Left and Press Start trick works on every NES game. Though to be fair I never even knew about that until he showed me in another episode.

Well, even in Jersey, where it's been cold enough for my car to ask me "Really, you want me to go out into the cold?" this past week, when it first hits 50 degrees (which is what 12 degrees C is like), you are like "It's a little cold."

Then winter come, and 50 degrees is a walk in the park.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FinalGamer posted:

But I need to ask, why do so many Japanese games have English instructions AND letters for passwords in their games? Is the English alphabet that well-known amongst Japanese, or is it that distinct enough with each letter that it makes a great password system?

Japanese players understand enough that it can be used and it saves them on localization efforts. Of course this isn't true of every game. Really text heavy games like Dragon Quest used an all Japanese text password because they had to use Japanese characters anyway.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Well, even in Jersey, where it's been cold enough for my car to ask me "Really, you want me to go out into the cold?" this past week, when it first hits 50 degrees (which is what 12 degrees C is like), you are like "It's a little cold."

Then winter come, and 50 degrees is a walk in the park.

Getsu Fūma Den uses japanese characters which makes entering passwords really difficult for me. Bleh.

Thanks for all the latest episodes team. Layla looks like a game I might have to check out.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Really text heavy games like Dragon Quest used an all Japanese text password because they had to use Japanese characters anyway.

Wait, the Japanese Dragon Quest used a password system? Talk about feeling like a spoiled American child.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Random Stranger posted:

Japanese players understand enough that it can be used and it saves them on localization efforts. Of course this isn't true of every game. Really text heavy games like Dragon Quest used an all Japanese text password because they had to use Japanese characters anyway.
Makes sense, use Japanese if it's a dialogue-heavy game, use English if it's not to make it easy for the world to understand. Definitely saves a poo poo ton on localisation for the sake of a frigging password system.

Also, you are awesome, you. You and all your translating friends. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

SmockJoc posted:

Wait, the Japanese Dragon Quest used a password system? Talk about feeling like a spoiled American child.

The trade-off is that Americans got the NES Dragon Quest games around 3 years later. When I was a kid, we had a Japanese family move in across the street. At the time, I was excited because I'd seen a blurb in Nintendo Power about how Dragon Warrior II was going to come out in several months, but when they invited me over, they started playing Dragon Quest IV on their giant TV! Looking at the release dates for the games, this must have been in the spring of 1990, since DQIV came out in February of that year in Japan, while DWII came out in December.

Anyway, when I came back home, I was like, "OMG OUR NEIGHBORS ARE FROM THE FUTURE THEY HAVE DRAGON WARRIOR IV :aaaaa:"

kimpira fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 27, 2013

shawnlreed
Jul 27, 2012

The Balloon Fight challenge was awesome. It was the perfect way to create a challenge out of a game with no actual ending.
Does anyone know if the balloons continue to change color if you get 20 purple ones in a row?
Thanks as always to Random Stranger and Zari-gani for the excellent work!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SmockJoc posted:

Dragon Quest II had a 52-character password. Imagine writing THAT down wrong.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

SmockJoc posted:

Dragon Quest's password system is a fond memory for many Japanese gamers who grew up with the series. It's called a "resurrection spell" in the game, and that's what the Last Continue lyrics "schools don't teach how to cast resurrection spells" is referring to.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Dragon Quest's password system is a fond memory for many Japanese gamers who grew up with the series. It's called a "resurrection spell" in the game, and that's what the Last Continue lyrics "schools don't teach how to cast resurrection spells" is referring to.

All my memories of NES passwords is of unbridled fury of when I couldn't decipher my six-year old sloppy penmanship. Is that a "s" or "S" or "5"? "o" or "O" or "0"?

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
These days when I play old games, I just take a picture with my phone. Even if it's only 4 letters.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I'd forgotten all about how frustrating screwing up the password would be in the NES and even SNES era. There were several times when my forward progress in a game was abruptly halted because I couldn't decipher my own handwriting. It was especially frustrating if the game was super hard, like Road Rash (on the Genesis). I kind of preferred the symbols that Castlevania games used, or the grid layout of Mega Man passwords because they were slightly harder to screw up.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

It could be worse...

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Tobaccrow posted:

These days when I play old games, I just take a picture with my phone. Even if it's only 4 letters.

Same. I was doing that with Princess Tomato, and I thought to myself, "Why didn't I think of this way back whe--oh, because I would've had to go develop the film before I could get my passwords back." It was also pretty tough to get a decent picture of a CRT.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

zari-gani posted:

It could be worse...

Yeah, but that game was a steaming pile of dogshit, so :v:

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
All my frustrations with passwords were paid off when Arino AND Urakawa AND Toujima said the same thing I said so many years ago:

"There's no backspace?"

Jolopy
Apr 7, 2004
Nyargh.

zari-gani posted:

It could be worse...

Ah, I remember going through the problem solving checklist when a password would fail.
I would often encounter this with Faxanadu.

-lower case "L" (l) and the number one (1) often look identical.
-Zero's (0) and the letter "O" get hosed up constantly
-On crappy TVs, 8 and B's could look the same.

Overall: gently caress any password system that includes lower cases or even symbols like semi-colons and commas.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

NBHS posted:

All my frustrations with passwords were paid off when Arino AND Urakawa AND Toujima said the same thing I said so many years ago:

"There's no backspace?"

That was hands down the best DVD challenge ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The passwords systems I hated most were the ones that used sprites or other non-alphanumeric symbols; they were always a complete pain in the arse to draw/write down, even when the passwords were short.