Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah, for the love of god, please don't make us have to ask for the price of everything. Sometimes it's a nice opening to try and haggle, but most of the time it's just a timewaster in the bad sense. Along those lines, when marking the price for things in glass cases, keep in mind that not everyone has the sharpest vision, so if your price tags are done in dark marker that will be much better than pen or light colors. Or larger print, if you're printing them.

zenintrude posted:

Take a cue from High Fidelity and showcase obscure items on your demo units as a way to sell things that would otherwise probably go unnoticed.

Perfect example is Armada for Dreamcast: most people probably don't even know what it is, but if you have it out for demo someone who likes both Sci-Fi and/or open-world (Elder Scrolls-esque) RPGs would probably buy it on the spot if they had the chance to play it for 5 minutes.

This is much more effective at actually selling games than simply throwing on Mario or Sonic or whatever other super popular game that everyone in the world already loves... since people will buy those without needing to play them again in your store.

Seconding this as well. Just having demos up at all is a big plus in my book, but knowing that the store owners would try to cycle some more obscure titles in there would honestly have me coming back more if just for that.

Allen Wren posted:

This goes back a couple pages, but I'm catching up with the thread - I see the written-on cartridge thing differently. If I find a cartridge with "JOEY CARBONE AGE 8" on it, I'm often MORE likely to buy that one than one that's unmarked. I find buying a CIB retro game a nearly-alien experience, since when I did get games in earlier days, the carts would often come out of the cardboard and immediately go into a shoebox, or later, into plastic rental-style cases that would then go in the same shoebox. Boxes would be a vague memory, especially since the stores that stocked the games often had the boxes behind the counter and then placards on the wall with box art and descriptions. I dunno. I don't mind buying some super-mint or CIB stuff, but, like, as long as the game is in half-decent shape and still plays, I'm good.

e: One of the best things in my and my girlfriend's collection is a Frogger cartridge for the 2600 where the label has been stripped off completely, down to the black plastic, and the word "FROG" painted along the top slanted bit of the case (Parker Brothers game, so, the case is angular) in silver nail polish. Just thinking about FROG makes me chuckle a little.

I think I might be in a similar boat at least when it comes to names on a cartridge. Sometimes it makes it feel more historical and well-worn(in a good way), or something. Similar to the rare instances in which I'll find actual notes in an instruction manual, or when I found some handrawn maps in a game boy carrying case I bought once.

Although I don't think I've dealt with writing on a cart for a game that has huge value(sentimental or otherwise) to me or not, yet.

On the other hand, I do still like to err on the side of boxed carts. And rental place stickers can just go straight to hell. My Super Mario RPG and Secret of Evermore had Hollywood Video stickers around them, which ended up ripping the actual cart labels halfway off when I tried to remove the awful things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

tvb posted:

When you can, I'd recommend investing in retro fixtures. My favorite retro game store in Chicago is loaded with stuff like '90s demo kiosks (that are always running) and advertisements, posters, etc., and when you go in, it gets you so excited about everything that you just want to buy it all.

Which store do you mean? The only one I've been to is People Play Games, which was pretty good but their selection for some systems like DS and current gen was pretty slim.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Yeah, I'm talking People Play Games. You're right -- their DS and current gen selection is paltry, but that's really just not what they're going for there. Their retro selection is phenomenal, though, and I love the atmosphere.

The other great thing that they do is keeping empty cases on the shelves. The actual carts/discs for CIB games are behind the counter, but the boxes themselves are out where you can pick them up and look at them without asking anyone to open a glass case. It creates a really hands-on, old-fashioned game store experience and just makes the whole thing more fun and exploratory.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Crimson Harvest posted:

The store I shop at has a four-sided countertop rotating case for GB and GBA games. The DS games are at about knee-level like 6 rows deep behind glass, all tiny black squares with impossible-to-read labels. I don't browse the DS games much.

What store is this? Only one retro store I've ever been to had one of these.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Midnight Raider posted:

I think I might be in a similar boat at least when it comes to names on a cartridge. Sometimes it makes it feel more historical and well-worn(in a good way), or something. Similar to the rare instances in which I'll find actual notes in an instruction manual, or when I found some handrawn maps in a game boy carrying case I bought once.

Although I don't think I've dealt with writing on a cart for a game that has huge value(sentimental or otherwise) to me or not, yet.

On the other hand, I do still like to err on the side of boxed carts. And rental place stickers can just go straight to hell. My Super Mario RPG and Secret of Evermore had Hollywood Video stickers around them, which ended up ripping the actual cart labels halfway off when I tried to remove the awful things.

It's really funny when I get famicom carts with Japanese kids names on them, this kid really wanted to make sure you know that copy of Clu Clu Land was his v:shobon:v I've also got a Copy of Transformers Mystery of Comvoy where there's just a black marker oval on the back where someone got rid of their name, probably disassociating themselves from that game, and a copy of Donkey Kong with 2 names on the back, ones scribbled out.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

WendigoJohnson posted:

What store is this? Only one retro store I've ever been to had one of these.

This is Sunken Treasures, in Richland, WA.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

tvb posted:

Yeah, I'm talking People Play Games. You're right -- their DS and current gen selection is paltry, but that's really just not what they're going for there. Their retro selection is phenomenal, though, and I love the atmosphere.

The other great thing that they do is keeping empty cases on the shelves. The actual carts/discs for CIB games are behind the counter, but the boxes themselves are out where you can pick them up and look at them without asking anyone to open a glass case. It creates a really hands-on, old-fashioned game store experience and just makes the whole thing more fun and exploratory.

That store is rad. I stopped at Lucky's on a road trip a couple years back and just happened to see it on the way. I spent too much on a loose copy of Parasite Eve 2. I loved the first and was excited about the upcoming third.

My disappointment was immense.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

tvb posted:

I should go back there one of these days. I wasn't really into collecting as much as I am now last time I was there so I didn't pay much attention to their older stuff. I did appreciate that he has a big fuckoff CD cleaner and runs every disc he sells through it.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
So People Play Games in Chicago? :v:

I'm just mad they won't sell me the goddamn Splatterhouse t-shirt they have on the wall.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I hate to interrupt the retro store chat but would a EZ-Flash 3 in 1 work in a regular DS slot-1 or do you need to have a DS Lite for its operation?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Caitlin posted:

My friend's stores (he owns two stores in New Mexico) have a retro gaming league where they do tournaments and the like and yeah, they also do repairs - also, along with selling normal used consoles, he sells the new multi-game accepting units so people can walk out the door and be able to play multiple types of games. He keeps a cabinet or two in the store too that are set to free play.

Gamers anonymous?! Just went by there yesterday :)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Island Nation posted:

I hate to interrupt the retro store chat but would a EZ-Flash 3 in 1 work in a regular DS slot-1 or do you need to have a DS Lite for its operation?

It will work on both.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
Unless something has changed (I don't have as much time to gently caress off/look for game stores as I used to) in Little Rock (and probably most of AR), we are limited to GameXchange as far as buying retro games in a brick and mortar store goes. These stores are franchises I think so some of them are loving horrible (same poo poo, no selection) and some are pretty damned good. The store in Little Rock off Rodney Parham (I mention because there are a surprising number of goons around here) has the GBA and DS/3DS games without boxes in a really useful glass display case.

It's a pretty standard display case with a glass front and a glass top, the shelves in the case are fairly deep (there is room for several rows and columns of games lying sticker up) and angled about like movie theater stadium seating. The games are arranged in alphabetical order by system and there are room for (I think) about 3 shelves. The prices are labeled with a really small, old school price sticker that doesn't cover up too much of the label. Essentially they get a poo poo load of stock into the case that is easy to scan for what you want/know what you want costs.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

flyboi posted:

It will work on both.

Well, not really.

Unless you buy the EZ Flash 3 in 1 that's in a regular sized gba case, then no it won't work. And I haven't seen the regular sized case in stock anywhere.

It's much more common to come across the 3 in 1 in the smaller case that will ONLY fit in a DS Lite.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ohnoitschris posted:

Oh, and about a year ago I embarked on a quest to collect every Zapper game for NES. I thought it'd be a fun little adventure to collect a subset of not-too-rare games, and as a result I've kept a nifty little spreadsheet. I just averaged out the prices for the last 5 carts sold of almost every Zapper game on eBay and added them to my list, so here's my neat little spreadsheet guide to Zapper games.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnYA4I9uG8vxdGduc0VfVGJTTXdXeURiSjFyazl4dkE

Did you know that:

-The Lone Ranger is the most valuable, officially licensed Zapper game?
-There were two unlicensed Zapper games (that I know of) released in the NES days, and they're the most valuable by far?
-There are four black label Zapper games total?
-Zapper games were released for six years, from 1985 to 1991, but there were only 17 total? I think there were only 17 total. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

Wow, Chiller is going for more than I remember. I bought a copy from a used entertainment store (one a bit farther from the one I usually frequent, but part of the same chain) for about $40 loose three years ago. I don't remember how much eBayers were selling the game for at the time, though. It was in alright condition for the most part.

From your list, you have more Zapper games than I do, but I have some of the ones you don't: Bayou Billy, Laser Invasion, and Track & Field II. We're both missing Baby Boomer, The Lone Ranger, and Gotcha! The Sport. Also, Gumshoe is my favorite Zapper game.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

So my family is planning a trip to Hawaii next year. Any good game stores out there? I there was a goon who talked about it a while ago, but I can't remember who that was.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

fatpat268 posted:

Well, not really.

Unless you buy the EZ Flash 3 in 1 that's in a regular sized gba case, then no it won't work. And I haven't seen the regular sized case in stock anywhere.

It's much more common to come across the 3 in 1 in the smaller case that will ONLY fit in a DS Lite.

The answer is no then.

Looks like I'll have to buy one via Amazon or somewhere

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Mercury Crusader posted:

From your list, you have more Zapper games than I do, but I have some of the ones you don't: Bayou Billy, Laser Invasion, and Track & Field II. We're both missing Baby Boomer, The Lone Ranger, and Gotcha! The Sport. Also, Gumshoe is my favorite Zapper game.

Another huge Zapper fan here and I'm still trying to get a hold of Baby Boomer and Chiller too. My favorite Zapper games changes depending on the day but lately I've been HUGE into Hogan's Alley Game C. Baby Boomer is in my sights though, I will get that poo poo soon while the price of it is still doable.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Re: game stores

Keep your stuff protected. Yeah, you don't need to worry about the pile of sports/junk games but you might want to try out some clear poly bags. Buy the resealable kind, or use tape. This looks slick, is easy to manage, and keeps games clean from everyone who browses. If you do this with CDs and DVDs it's good for my next point, and keeps people from messing with the contents inside. At the same time, it's easy to open them and check out the state of the disc, manual, etc.

Pricetags. If you went with the above option, you could just stick whatever you want on the plastic bags. Otherwise, find some removable (advertised that way) labels. It's always terrible when I buy a game and have to use Goo Gone to get the pricetag off. If they're anywhere near the label (front or back) it's also a big problem. I use a really small label for titles/numbers on my own games, the Avery 5125, but you'll probably want something larger to fit a scanable code.

Try to carry lots of the super-popular stuff! The first time I visited a local game shop I just got an NES and was looking for Mega Man titles. They had none. I go in there fairly often, and I've rarely seen the staples you'd expect - Super Mario World, Super Smash Bros, Street Fighter, etc. They just work on trade-ins, which might not be too successful to solely rely on.

I would recommend trying to stock some Japanese titles -- but not much. Do not cater to collectors or hardcore fans. But having some games that are identical to the US versions and easy to play at a fraction of the cost: Yoshi's Island, Megaman [Rockman] 7, X2, X3, Super Mario Kart... That kind of stuff. Having some more 'popular' Japanese stuff might help, like Sailor Moon or Dragonball Z games. Possibly some games that are expensive in the US like Chrono Trigger or Mother 2 (Earthbound). Keep your selection limited with regards to stuff that actually needs modding to play. If you carry Famicom games, carry the consoles or adapters.

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 27, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Tyson Tomko posted:

Another huge Zapper fan here and I'm still trying to get a hold of Baby Boomer and Chiller too. My favorite Zapper games changes depending on the day but lately I've been HUGE into Hogan's Alley Game C. Baby Boomer is in my sights though, I will get that poo poo soon while the price of it is still doable.

Baby Boomer is one of those games where I just don't know why I put as much time into it as I did.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Someone should open a really really good Retro Game store in the Bay Area of CA. All the ones I've been to are either a. primarily something else like a Comic Book Store (SpaceCat, Planet Mix off of The Record Man), b. tiny and far away (Gamers in Control) c. overflowing with shelves that don't seem well organized (Alameda Game Exchange.)

For a place as big as the Bay we seem to have no real retro stores. A place where I could walk in and play things with friendly staff and good merchandise would get my money even if it was a little more expensive than eBay.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Brillo_Pad posted:

Gamers anonymous?! Just went by there yesterday :)

That'd be the one, Jon is pretty much my best friend. :3: I've been meaning to make another trip out there soon, I haven't been for a few years now. You should see his personal collection - it's pretty intense (and makes me extremely jealous).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mace Bacon posted:

I haven't played the NES version a lot but I have been playing the FDS version, and it's really great, and I assume is identical ( Except you can save your progress instead of using passwords!)

Welp the save file thing is enough for me. Off to eBay to buy it! :retrogames:

Xik posted:

Basically, I was asking if you can fit an SD card in there without modifying the shell.

You can so that it will not be sticking out of the cart if you get this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271132354168&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

JJJJJS posted:

I have a serious question. Since we're all retro goons and most of us have been to a few retro game stores, I figure this might be the best place to ask. What do you want to see in a primarily retro game store? What sort of things do you like or dislike?

The short story here is that I and a couple guys are starting a store (and website) in Portland, OR. this year. I'll have my reproductions there as well as offering repairs on just about everything. We've got a good amount of stock built up since we've been working on this project for about a year so fortunately getting stock isn't an issue.

With any luck I'll finally be able to reclaim some space in the house which is being taken up with random game/repro stuff.

I am not a business man but knowing you (electronically) and knowing what I'd love to see in a retro gaming store, I will give you what I personally would like to see, rather than what I think would be good for business (hopefully my ideas would be both):

1) I'd love to be able to see/feel the games. I know this sounds weird but a HUGE HUGE thing for me, and a reason I'd go to a retro game store instead of eBay, is because I'd be able to see the condition of the item. No amount of hi-res pictures recreates that. This might not be feasible, though, because of the threat of someone scurrying off with Chrono Trigger on a daily basis. Maybe a middle ground would be to only sell games with 100% intact labels? This way people going to your store know that if they are going to buy a game, it's going to be pretty mint. This does not need to be done for the bargain bin games, though.

2) Don't sell new/recent stuff. Again, I know nothing about business, so this could be terrible advice, I don't know. But from what I've heard, the profit margins on new game systems like the PS3 and 360 are non-existent, and personally I find they take up space and make the store too much like a Gamestop. Fill the market that Gamestop is missing (retro games). Don't try to compete with Wal-Mart/Gamestop/Best Buy.

3) This kind of coincides with number 2, but give the store a retro vibe. I don't want to see a huge cardboard cut out of World of Warcraft. Plaster your store's walls with awesome posters like this:

I never even seen that one before but it's like $8 on eBay and awesome as anything!

4) You are the master of fixing and repairing consoles. If I knew a place near me could replace my bad Sega CD lens, I'd drive 2 hours to a place like that. I do not know how profitable this is, however I assume this is something you could do while watching over the store or during downtime.

5) This is both something that might be a great, profitable idea (though I am not sure) but it is something that would be awesome, as well. Anyway, how about selling obscure/niche stuff? Imagine you had an FDS there, and some games for sale. You could sell them a bit more than they would on eBay, as well. Here's why I think this is a good idea: whenever my friends see mine, they never know what the hell it is, but they all love it. These are people I'd say are pretty big video game nerds, too. Imagine your store could introduce people to this classic system no one even knows about. You could have one on display; give people a demo of the system if you want as well. Show them the games that were improved; have it hooked up to a decent stereo so they can hear the audio systems, etc. You know, a little setup you'd expect in a high end audio store but with niche video games. You could also do this with something like the TG-16, and others. I think this would be a great idea and all I ask is you open one of these in New York and or Vermont since I seem to be in the only states in the union with no friggin' retro game stores. You do realize in New York we have a store that is just a chicken that plays Tic Tac Toe with you but we don't have a retro store worth a gently caress, right? Come on. Help me help you.

DisposableHero posted:

So this is not completely retro game related but this thread is probably the best source of inspiration. I'm working on a little home decor project for my retro game room and I need some examples of retro game RPG shop signs. The kind that's usually some sort of hanging sign with a shield or a potion or whatever on it. I've spent some time googling this but it seems to be a hard subject to google and get useful results.

I don't know if this is helpful but what about the signs in a game like FF6? First thing that came to mind was the Pub/Cafe/Inn signs in the game. :)

univbee posted:

Hey guys, I think I have more games than that reddit guy:

not pictured: CD Burner, spindle of CD-Rs, modchips

I laughed out loud way too hard at this.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

The white cap doesn't have the Kellogg embroidery (?), just the Nintendo logo. The bill is denim.

The Zelda cap is embroidered. "Zelda" is really thick and protrudes around an eighth of an inch. It has the N64 logo embroidered on the back.

Holy hell that Virtual Boy hat. I...I need it. Goon reproduction project ala Fiesta cat?

Brillo_Pad posted:

So what's the lowest that the XRGB Mini has ever been sold for? I see on the main website now it's a little bit over $400, is there any chance of it going down anytime soon?

The price fluctuates wildly at SolarisJapan due to yen/dollar conversion. If Clinton were still in office you could have gotten it for like $250 :haw:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Welp the save file thing is enough for me. Off to eBay to buy it! :retrogames:

2) Don't sell new/recent stuff. Again, I know nothing about business, so this could be terrible advice, I don't know. But from what I've heard, the profit margins on new game systems like the PS3 and 360 are non-existent, and personally I find they take up space and make the store too much like a Gamestop. Fill the market that Gamestop is missing (retro games). Don't try to compete with Wal-Mart/Gamestop/Best Buy.

What about retroish games? I'm thinking Retro game challenge,Gianna Sisters DS, The psp Ys games... Not to bring it up again, but if the mythical earthbound trilogy 3ds game comes out, a retro game store would be the place to sell it.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

This is indeed terrible advice from a profit standpoint. New games are like a gateway drug and a good way to get young people in the door. I don't mean carry new stock, but definitely deal in used modern games, also. Accessories can make a lot of money, too. There's nothing wrong with competing with gamestop if it's not your bread and butter.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

tvb posted:

When you can, I'd recommend investing in retro fixtures. My favorite retro game store in Chicago is loaded with stuff like '90s demo kiosks (that are always running) and advertisements, posters, etc., and when you go in, it gets you so excited about everything that you just want to buy it all.

We have a few kiosks already including a DS, DC, SNES, Xbox 360, PS and a few others that I can't recall right now. One of the things we'd like to do is to differentiate areas of the store so that the Nintendo area will look different from the Sega area and so forth. I think kiosks and some old school lighted signs might help with this. A lot of it depends on how big the store is though.

1) I'd love to be able to see/feel the games. I know this sounds weird but a HUGE HUGE thing for me, and a reason I'd go to a retro game store instead of eBay, is because I'd be able to see the condition of the item. No amount of hi-res pictures recreates that. This might not be feasible, though, because of the threat of someone scurrying off with Chrono Trigger on a daily basis. Maybe a middle ground would be to only sell games with 100% intact labels? This way people going to your store know that if they are going to buy a game, it's going to be pretty mint. This does not need to be done for the bargain bin games, though.

3) This kind of coincides with number 2, but give the store a retro vibe. I don't want to see a huge cardboard cut out of World of Warcraft. Plaster your store's walls with awesome posters like this:

4) You are the master of fixing and repairing consoles. If I knew a place near me could replace my bad Sega CD lens, I'd drive 2 hours to a place like that. I do not know how profitable this is, however I assume this is something you could do while watching over the store or during downtime.

5) This is both something that might be a great, profitable idea (though I am not sure) but it is something that would be awesome, as well. Anyway, how about selling obscure/niche stuff? Imagine you had an FDS there, and some games for sale. You could sell them a bit more than they would on eBay, as well. Here's why I think this is a good idea: whenever my friends see mine, they never know what the hell it is, but they all love it. These are people I'd say are pretty big video game nerds, too. Imagine your store could introduce people to this classic system no one even knows about. You could have one on display; give people a demo of the system if you want as well. Show them the games that were improved; have it hooked up to a decent stereo so they can hear the audio systems, etc. You know, a little setup you'd expect in a high end audio store but with niche video games. You could also do this with something like the TG-16, and others. I think this would be a great idea and all I ask is you open one of these in New York and or Vermont since I seem to be in the only states in the union with no friggin' retro game stores. You do realize in New York we have a store that is just a chicken that plays Tic Tac Toe with you but we don't have a retro store worth a gently caress, right? Come on. Help me help you.

These are super helpful. Some work, some aren't feasible unfortunately. As a customer I like being hands on as well but it's something that we can't do. One of the local stores addressed it by having actual boxes out on the floor with the carts behind the counter. Unfortunately most of their boxes have been stolen. People suck sometimes.

We are planning on having some new stuff. It's a money loser for sure but it really brings in product through trade ins. It will be somewhat limited though, some of the super hyped titles and a few niche titles but not much else. If it didn't entice people to trade in their old stuff I wouldn't even bother with it.

Repairs aren't a big money maker but it's something we want to offer since no local store does. Not many people are willing to spend an absurd amount of time to fix a Sega CD but if it gets us a loyal customer it's more than worth it. Luckily the two guys nearby who will try and fix anything happen to be myself and the other main guy in this project.

Having niche stuff is a priority mainly to get people talking. Imports don't tend to sell around here for some reason that no one can figure out. Yet it gets people talking. We are very lucky to have a bunch of oddities to show off already. I've also suggested that we buy a couple hundred dollars of imports from Rakuten. It's basically cheap advertising.

We'll get right on opening a store in New York...until that happens you might want to book a plane ticket here for the weekend of October 5th and 6th. I hear we're doing some sort of Portland Retro Gaming Expo that weekend. I'll be near the front with the cool kids this year as opposed to being in the back corner with the cool kids last year. Bring a few thousand dollars.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

This is indeed terrible advice from a profit standpoint. New games are like a gateway drug and a good way to get young people in the door. I don't mean carry new stock, but definitely deal in used modern games, also. Accessories can make a lot of money, too. There's nothing wrong with competing with gamestop if it's not your bread and butter.

In my Gamestop experience, accessories are the #1 money maker both in trade and in sales. In trade usually because people steal poo poo from big department stores that keep 3rd party stuff unsecure on shelves. In sales because everyone and their uncle is destroying controllers or losing their Wii sensor bars so they need a cheap replacement quick. Or maybe you buy an SNES on eBay but it doesn't have the power cable or it's one of those lovely knockoff controllers.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

al-azad posted:

In my Gamestop experience, accessories are the #1 money maker both in trade and in sales. In trade usually because people steal poo poo from big department stores that keep 3rd party stuff unsecure on shelves. In sales because everyone and their uncle is destroying controllers or losing their Wii sensor bars so they need a cheap replacement quick. Or maybe you buy an SNES on eBay but it doesn't have the power cable or it's one of those lovely knockoff controllers.

Agreed totally here. Yes to controllers, power adapters, wii sensor bars, etc. Unless I'm missing some huge profit margin here NOOOOO to Rock Band or Guitar Hero stuff. Most stores I have been to have an entire section of their store devoted to storing/displaying that kind of stuff. I can see maybe one or two sets of stuff, but it's sad to see a corner with 20+ guitar hero guitars just collecting dust.

VVVV That's a good point, and shipping on those is usually reason enough to not shop online. Still though, I hate having to weave through 200 guitars and drumsets.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 28, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Keep a set of good condition rock band gear around because there aren't any more new instruments being made and us music gamers go through them a lot.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Hey Miyamoto, this might not be located exactly in New York(it's in Jersey), but Clifton isn't that far a drive from NYC.

http://www.digitpress.com/store/

Just head up Rt. 46 west and it's pretty much a straight run. It's literally the only retro store that currently exists in Northern new jersey.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

WendigoJohnson posted:

Hey Miyamoto, this might not be located exactly in New York(it's in Jersey), but Clifton isn't that far a drive from NYC.

http://www.digitpress.com/store/

Just head up Rt. 46 west and it's pretty much a straight run. It's literally the only retro store that currently exists in Northern new jersey.

I might check this out; thank you. I am usually in NYC just to visit my parents but that can be a nice "kill two birds with one stone" type of thing. Thanks again!

cosmicjim posted:

Ah yeah I should have specified just to not do what the retro game store that used to be near me did and was "be another Call of Duty sales mill but also have a Sega Genesis somewhere in the store as well" type of outfit. Maybe just a small corner of the store dedicated to current system accessories and used games. People can buy a new copy of Call of Duty from anywhere. Hell, the idea of "get your filthy DVD-based games the hell out of our store!" would be a hilarious and innovative sales tactic (ala the Soup Nazi) :laugh: .

JJJJJS posted:

Repairs aren't a big money maker but it's something we want to offer since no local store does. Not many people are willing to spend an absurd amount of time to fix a Sega CD but if it gets us a loyal customer it's more than worth it. Luckily the two guys nearby who will try and fix anything happen to be myself and the other main guy in this project.

Oh totally; that's why I try to only do repairs or mods as favors. You'd have to charge people insane amounts of money for it to be worth your time. That's why I only suggested possibly doing it only while you are sitting around the store waiting for a customer or just eyeing those shifty teens who are getting a little too close to the CDX systems.

JJJJJS posted:

We'll get right on opening a store in New York...until that happens you might want to book a plane ticket here for the weekend of October 5th and 6th. I hear we're doing some sort of Portland Retro Gaming Expo that weekend. I'll be near the front with the cool kids this year as opposed to being in the back corner with the cool kids last year. Bring a few thousand dollars.

I...might actually have to do that. Always wanted to see Portland anyway (Oregon is the famous Portland right?) but when we meet up you gotta do me a favor and make it like it was a total accident that we ran into each other (meet me at the nearest 7-11) so it does not look planned so my wife will be none the wiser. :ninja:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

JJJJJS posted:

Having niche stuff is a priority mainly to get people talking. Imports don't tend to sell around here for some reason that no one can figure out. Yet it gets people talking. We are very lucky to have a bunch of oddities to show off already. I've also suggested that we buy a couple hundred dollars of imports from Rakuten. It's basically cheap advertising.

I should be able to actually make it this year

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I heard a real strange tip from someone to search ebay for misspelled auctions and misidentified terms. So I started last night and came up with nothing, I figured that the whole thing was just a shot in the dark and you really had to get lucky. But today I did the same thing and wound up finding a copy of Super Mario RPG for 30 bucks. :stare:

The label is less than stellar condition, however it's only worn around the edges and spine, but not torn/ripped. The cart itself looks unbroken, but it's just incredibly dirty(the auction mentioned having to jiggle cart to get it to turn on, so I figure it needs a good cleaning).

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Found a Genny 2 at the game shop today while I was driving around doing errands. Looked closer, it was Made in China and 2/3rds motherboard. I snatched it up instantly thinking I just scored one with a Sony decoder and the best audio.

VA3 with that lovely Samsung encoder :suicide:

I might just give up on trying to find one this is the third one I've been burned on. However this one did come with a rarer controller so I guess I'll throw that in the pile and hold onto the shell as it is in great condition.

gently caress you Sega.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Man, retro game store talk. I'm in NH so really the only option for me is Video Game Exchange in Plaistow

http://videogamexchangenh.com/index.cfm

Prices are high ($15 for Battle Arena Toshinden! $60 for greatest hits Legend of Dragoon!), most of the games are behind the counter on the shelves that go to the floor so you can't see whats there. Sometimes even stacks of boxes in front of the games. It's a huge pain to find anything in this store. The old guy that runs it will let me go behind the counter to see the stuff closer up but it would be a lot easier if everything was just out so I could browse it at my leisure. Last time I was there he was in the process of moving a few units down to a larger store (and was taking stacks of games off the shelves as I was looking at them) so maybe the issue of space has been fixed? I haven't been there since because it's almost a 2 hour drive one way.

I just want to browse retro games in person :(

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

Found a Genny 2 at the game shop today while I was driving around doing errands. Looked closer, it was Made in China and 2/3rds motherboard. I snatched it up instantly thinking I just scored one with a Sony decoder and the best audio.

VA3 with that lovely Samsung encoder :suicide:

I might just give up on trying to find one this is the third one I've been burned on. However this one did come with a rarer controller so I guess I'll throw that in the pile and hold onto the shell as it is in great condition.

gently caress you Sega.

Was the motherboard shorter though? Like the ones in the OP?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Thanks for that, $20 for someone to cut in half what you usually get for free with MicroSD cards is pretty rough though. Still, what is $20 when I just spent $200 on a flash cart. :retrogames:

On the topic of wasting a whole bunch of money, where would one go to get a SCART adapter for the XRGB-Mini. The ebay seller that usually gets linked here mentions that the adapter cable doesn't work with PAL consoles. How would I go about hooking up my PAL SNES to it?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Was the motherboard shorter though? Like the ones in the OP?

Yes it was a 2/3rds but I didn't know they pointed out how to identify VA3 vs 4 later on in the thread. If there are no vent holes on the bottom through the rf shielding it's a VA3. VA3 is literally the worst genesis ever made and this thing is completely useless.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

flyboi posted:

Yes it was a 2/3rds but I didn't know they pointed out how to identify VA3 vs 4 later on in the thread. If there are no vent holes on the bottom through the rf shielding it's a VA3. VA3 is literally the worst genesis ever made and this thing is completely useless.

It plays all Genesis games in a quality most of us remember as what the genesis looked like so I'm sure there'd be a goon that'd love it.

I mean christ I didn't even hook up my consoles via composite until the PS2. Everything was RF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I'll admit, I've been thinking about getting my first actual Genesis soon, but all the variants of it just have me scratching my head. I remember that post from another forum being linked which had explanations about what the differences were, but it just confused me with technobabble more than anything else. I wouldn't have known there was a difference otherwise, but now I'm really wanting to figure out the one with the best instrumentation quality to get, since the music is pretty much one of the big draws of the Genesis for me. (And pretty much the sole reason why I'll be after a cart of Splatterhouse 3 at some point as well.)

• Locked thread