Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Every time I see Crassus, I see Dennis from Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Hughmoris posted:

We'll see if there's a C.R.A.S.S.U.S. system unveiled this season.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Officer Sandvich posted:

With Lucretia and Ilithyia gone we definitely need a new female villain. And Gannicus' grin during the double decapitation was so :haw:

I totally noticed Gannicus in that scene too! It's just for a second, but it was awesomely :haw:

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
The youth playing Crassus' son seems a bit poo poo as an actor. Flashbacks of Numerius in terms of line delivery.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Boogoose posted:

The youth playing Crassus' son seems a bit poo poo as an actor. Flashbacks of Numerius in terms of line delivery.

He's a sort of captain obvious for people in the audience who missed the gist of the clever job opening plan.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
The premiere was just as amazing as I'd hoped. Crassus looks like he's going to be an awesome new villain, finally someone who's attitude isn't "Well they're just slaves" and who recognizes that Spartacus is a pretty awesome general. His son is trying SO HARD to pull off the Joffrey Lannister Super Snobby look, but fails miserably and just looks pouty and stupid. Hopefully we won't spend too much with him.

I love Naevia's new hair so much :allears: I can't even put it into words.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Women's Rights? posted:

I love Naevia's new hair so much :allears: I can't even put it into words.

Also looks like she finally made through the Crixus Grad School of Head Decapitation for the ambush fight scene.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Women's Rights? posted:

His son is trying SO HARD to pull off the Joffrey Lannister Super Snobby look, but fails miserably and just looks pouty and stupid. Hopefully we won't spend too much with him.

I actually got kind of a Bieber vibe from him at first impression.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Didn't see this in the OP so figured I'd mention that those of you who have DirecTV but not Starz can watch this on the Audience channel. They replayed the premiere a few times tonight, but of course since I'm at work and have customers running around the place I couldn't tune in. It was tempting, but exposing people's kids to this show might warp their fragile little minds.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I keep on thinking the actor playing Crassius is Christopher Eccleston. drat if the two don't look really alike.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

e: eh, maybe they do if you've only seen him in certain things

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

DoggPickle posted:

I totally noticed Gannicus in that scene too! It's just for a second, but it was awesomely :haw:

Yeah, that and the cheesy eagle sound playing when Spartacus killed that Roman with the eagle standard were two of my favorite moments from this episode.

Spartacus is just such a good show, it's crazy how it can be so over the top and self aware about it and yet still work so well as a serious drama.

MrHat
Jun 18, 2005

Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on

Sober posted:

I think it would've been okay in higher Roman society if you were the pitcher and not the catcher. I might be remembering it wrong, but it sounds about right since you would prefer to be seen as the dominant of the pair.
You're right. Although it was pretty much just with slaves, prostitutes & entertainers. Two men of higher position wouldn't be so likely to have that kind of relationship.
Similar rules applied to the army as well. Male slaves & prostitutes were fair game but sex within the ranks was not allowed (in fact officers could get in serious trouble for taking advantage of the lower ranks).

Sometimes I love how open minded & practical the Romans were ... then I read things like this:

quote:

As a matter of law, a slave could not be raped; he was considered property and not legally a person. The slave's owner, however, could prosecute the rapist for property damage.
Anyway sorry for the derail.
Glad the show is back on but I still kinda miss Andy Whitfield - the new guy still doesn't have the same emotional presence.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Just watched the premiere. I miss the intimacy of the ludus but the show makes up for it by every fight scene being the most metal poo poo ever. Also I miss Mira, no one liked Mira but I thought she was cool. New Naevia still sucks, I'm now completely seeing Liam as the character not the Andy Whitfield replacement. I thought the way they built up Crassus was cool too, for most of the episode I was thinking this guy doesn't seem like that bad of a dude in spite of his historical reputation then by the end he turned into the scheming piece of poo poo the villains on this show are know for.
PS:

:swoon: RIP :swoon:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I miss Mira as well. I would have preferred Naevia taking her place. Naevia has gotten better, but I still liked the original more. Mira was bad rear end. RIP.

From the last thread.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Yeah, Mira was awesome. I miss her and Varro a lot, though Varro more. Bromance. :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Azure_Horizon posted:

Yeah, Mira was awesome. I miss her and Varro a lot, though Varro more. Bromance. :(

It is too bad that Agron never met Varro. The three of them could have killed so many Romans together.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 28, 2013

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

the posted:

I keep on thinking the actor playing Crassius is Christopher Eccleston. drat if the two don't look really alike.

I had the same thought myself and had to IMDB it. I'm only familiar with his Doctor Who work though, they have similar facial structure and hair styles.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LLJKSiLk posted:

I had the same thought myself and had to IMDB it. I'm only familiar with his Doctor Who work though, they have similar facial structure and hair styles.

He would make a good Roman as 287 days later showed he loves rape.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 28, 2013

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Varro will be starring next to Bruce Willis in the new Die Hard movie. :c00l:

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Robert Analog posted:

I'm now completely seeing Liam as the character not the Andy Whitfield replacement.

The obstacle for me is that Andy was almost 40, but Liam is just 30 so now I see a baby Spartacus leading grown rear end men and it doesn't feel right. I still love this show, but I also miss Andy dearly.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

I've been rewatching the first season and by far my favourite Ilithyia moment is when she describes how Solonius would "stare with his teeth". She then does a brief impression.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

savinhill posted:

Yeah, that and the cheesy eagle sound playing when Spartacus killed that Roman with the eagle standard were two of my favorite moments from this episode.

Spartacus is just such a good show, it's crazy how it can be so over the top and self aware about it and yet still work so well as a serious drama.

So want gifs from the episode, it had so many amazing over the top kills and also setup up the next big story arc in a effective way.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Historical Crassus was such a bastard but this should be an interesting character to watch. I still hope he gets golded though (unlikely)

My only concern is we're gonna lose the Roman intrigue. As people have mentioned, season 1 and GOTA are intimate since everyone is in the same place. Season 2 you have that vast seperation between the slave camps and the Romans off being frightened. Not that I necessarily need to see more BLOODY ORGIES but we're all out of snakes and shitstains on the Roman side. That was half the fun watching them snivel at each other

Ditto Crassus' wife looking like Illythia, I was seriously like "wtf Viva Bianca?"

And she seems like a nice Roman girl. We need more scheming cunts damnit.

Charlie Mopps posted:

Varro will be starring next to Bruce Willis in the new Die Hard movie. :c00l:

gently caress I didnt even realize that was him without that crazy statue hair.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
You have Crassus, and Caesar coming soon (who is supposed to be even more devious than Crassus), so I think the Roman intrigue will be cranked up to 11 with two of the most powerful people in Rome vying to destroy Spartacus.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Also she may seem nice but that might be a cover. Livia seemed nice and she was a great schemer and poisoner.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Thing is whenever I think of Caesar I just see Ciaran Hinds aka Mance Rayder.

bobkatt013 posted:

Also she may seem nice but that might be a cover. Livia seemed nice and she was a great schemer and poisoner.

More. MORE ROMAN WOMEN AND THEIR POISONS

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think people have had reservations about every season of Spartacus so far, and they've all ended up being unfounded. The prequel was going to be bad because Spartacus wasn't in it and season 2 was going to be bad because Batiatus wasn't in it and Spartacus was different. Neither of those ended up being true, so I think we can stop worrying now about the writers dropping the ball or not knowing what makes this show great.

Plus, it's the last season so you know that they're just going to go all out with it. Hell, that one guy apparently hinted that they might not end up following history right down to the letter so at this point I'm not counting out some kind of bizarro ending where Spartacus ends up fighting Caesar in the arena, beating him, and gets crowned Lifelong Super King. Then the Caesar spin-off is actually about Spartacus and Co. and their conquest of Persia, Atlantis, and Space Egypt.

VDay fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 29, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

My only concern is we're gonna lose the Roman intrigue. As people have mentioned, season 1 and GOTA are intimate since everyone is in the same place. Season 2 you have that vast seperation between the slave camps and the Romans off being frightened. Not that I necessarily need to see more BLOODY ORGIES but we're all out of snakes and shitstains on the Roman side. That was half the fun watching them snivel at each other

The first episode was entirely Roman intrigue? The slaves didn't actually do anything except what Crassus intended for them to do.

I suspect they might go for a Captain Ahab kind of plot this season; Spartacus and Crassus get locked in a conflict and can't let each other go and it gets more and more destructive to everyone around them as time goes on. Spartacus frees himself spiritually from that struggle (even if he can't physically) and that's the conclusion to his story.

Also if you want inter-Roman intrigue then Crassus' wife clearly thinks he's loving his slave, so that'll go somewhere.

VampiricGiraffe
Feb 5, 2012

VDay posted:

I think people have had reservations about every season of Spartacus so far, and they've all ended up being unfounded. The prequel was going to be bad because Spartacus wasn't in it and season 2 was going to be bad because Batiatus wasn't in it and Spartacus was different. Neither of those ended up being true, so I think we can stop worrying now about the writers dropping the ball or not knowing what makes this show great.

Plus, it's the last season so you know that they're just going to go all out with it. Hell, that one guy apparently hinted that they might not end up following history right down to the letter so at this point I'm not counting out some kind of bizarro ending where Spartacus ends up fighting Caesar in the arena, beating him, and gets crowned Lifelong Super King. Then the Caesar spin-off is actually about Spartacus and Co. and their conquest of Persia, Atlantis, and Space Egypt.

Spartacus kills Caesar Sedullus-style in the arena and rules Rome for decades wearing his face as a mask, and all the thousands of people in the arena who see it agree not to tell anyone because it was so loving :black101:

On a side note, would any of you be totally surprised if someone came out and admitted when the show was over that all the sex was real? There has to be a way you can bet on this, right? I wonder what the Vegas odds are

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I most definitely saw John Hannah suck some tittie on GOTA. And that's a married man :stare:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Alan Smithee posted:

Thing is whenever I think of Caesar I just see Ciaran Hinds aka Mance Rayder.

I haven't been paying attention to Game of Thrones casting (mainly due to it makes the wait seem longer), but that is great news. Perfect casting for Rayder.

Also I am the same way when I think of Caesar. Oh Rome how I miss you.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Science posted:

The obstacle for me is that Andy was almost 40, but Liam is just 30 so now I see a baby Spartacus leading grown rear end men and it doesn't feel right. I still love this show, but I also miss Andy dearly.

Over in the general TV chat thread I mentioned how I missed the warmth and comradery that Andy brought to Spartacus's character.

That disappeared with the premier, especially with the :stonk: butcher scene. Liam brought more than seething wrath which helped a lot. Could've used more of that in Vengeance.

nate fisher posted:

Also I am the same way when I think of Caesar. Oh Rome how I miss you.

I'm just going to think that Spartacus is a lead-in for Rome and if I ever feel the need to watch Rome again, I'll start by going through all of Spartacus first as a 'prequel'.

Ciarán Hinds will always be my Caesar.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

bobkatt013 posted:

Rome already did.

Yeah, but I want to see Spartacus' version of it. It would be glorious.

VDay posted:

*history sperg* beating Caesar at this point wouldn't really do anything as it was Pompey Magnus and Lucullus who were running poo poo. They got mentions in the episode, actually. As badass as the Third Servile War was in the end it was a sideshow to Mithridates and Sertorius who were ridicolously insane badasses in their own right.

Goddamn now I want a Spartacus' version of those wars too. Can't we just give these showrunners a blank check and a ten season Rome show?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 29, 2013

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Have to throw in another vote for this. After having just re-watched Rome recently no one that they could cast could replace him as Caesar. In a perfect tv world they'd cast him to play the role again.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

Goddamn now I want a Spartacus' version of those wars too. Can't we just give these showrunners a blank check and a ten twenty season Rome show?

This is more like it

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Agron looks like a really buff Cricket.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Have to throw in another vote for this. After having just re-watched Rome recently no one that they could cast could replace him as Caesar. In a perfect tv world they'd cast him to play the role again.

Rome rocked and everyone should give it a try.

Also the the production videos on the Spartacus website are very interesting going into how the bigger budget allowed them to do things such as build wider scale practical sets and also upgrade the special effects budget.

The videos do contain somewhat mild spoilers since they show off practical sets used in future episodes of the show.

The gladiator training camp video was hilarious watching the cast goof off during training and also going through the New Zealand armed forces physical test by carrying each other around like sacks of Potatoes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Thwomp posted:

He is my young Caesar. My old Caesar will be BRIAN BLESSED.
It may not have the violence of Rome/Spartacus but if you like court intrigue and batshit Romans watch I Claudius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Watched it last night. I was a little bummed that it doesn't play on Friday's here in Canada, so I'll always be late to the new episodes.

Having said that, this was absolutely the best episode in the series yet. It hit all the right Spartacus notes, and then made everything else even more sexy and/or badass.

• Locked thread