Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

There seem to be a ton of injuries in the Kumite videos. Is that standard for brown/black belt competition? Or are the guys just competing with a little extra macho in their blood cause of internet fame?

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
You have to remember the whole thing is to promote Keenan and Team LI - there's been some creative editing to present a certain image, e.g. the monologue about being surprised everyone else had not trained to fight 20+ no time limit matches in just 5 days... when in reality everyone else was expecting a standard tournament structure with the winner fighting Keenan.

It's like taking the worlds best sprinters to a tourney, telling them that we will have a few days of running against each other (be prepared!) and then making them run steeplechase every day, knowing full well only one person has trained for it. Still enjoying it for what it is though.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Awesome toehold write-up, Yuns! It's one of my go-to techniques, and it's allowed me to tap out people I have no business tapping out. Kind of a weird technique to love, but I think it might be my favorite.

Part of it could be the reluctance many people have for training leg locks until they reach a certain level, which means a lot of people have no idea how to defend it (and thus, ironically, perhaps increasing the chances of being injured by one).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Taratang posted:

You have to remember the whole thing is to promote Keenan and Team LI - there's been some creative editing to present a certain image, e.g. the monologue about being surprised everyone else had not trained to fight 20+ no time limit matches in just 5 days... when in reality everyone else was expecting a standard tournament structure with the winner fighting Keenan.

I particularly liked the part where he talked disdainfully about how he was training 4-6 hours a day to prepare for it and he didn't understand why everybody else was unprepared. Like none of these people have, you know, jobs

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

I particularly liked the part where he talked disdainfully about how he was training 4-6 hours a day to prepare for it and he didn't understand why everybody else was unprepared. Like none of these people have, you know, jobs

This is, apparently, a common line of thought at some "serious" competition gyms. If you aren't training 2 a days 6 days a week, you aren't really doing Bjj and should just giveup. Its usually guys in their early 20's saying this while they either live at home or fill like 6 dudes in a 1 bedroom and eat ramen.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

This is, apparently, a common line of thought at some "serious" competition gyms. If you aren't training 2 a days 6 days a week, you aren't really doing Bjj and should just giveup. Its usually guys in their early 20's saying this while they either live at home or fill like 6 dudes in a 1 bedroom and eat ramen.

Glad to see that bjj, dota and skateboarding are all giving unathletic post college white dudes a way to earn several thousand dollars a year at the very highest levels of competition.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Glad to see that bjj, dota and skateboarding are all giving unathletic post college white dudes a way to earn several thousand dollars a year at the very highest levels of competition.

If you enjoy what you do, you'll never work a day in your- OH gently caress MY KNEE!!!

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
The kumite is also a great long term strategy for Keenan and team Irvin because they basically get a bunch of free tape on all of these serious competitors and if one of them taps Keenan during the competition then who cares? - it's a meaningless tournament anyway.

Sean is having tremendous success with his calf-crushers and now Keenan and everybody else on the planet knows that they're coming.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

CivilDisobedience posted:

People seem to be getting really defensive about this misnomer, why is that?

thanks and god bless.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

CivilDisobedience posted:

Well, you can try that, but it's not a very effective defense. You're angry now, but just think how mad you'll be when some 'incompetent' grappler breaks your toes while you try to figure out how to penalize them in a no score format.

why don't you come down to my dojo and we will settle this like true warriors

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Does anyone have the internet argument comic of the "I am the more calm one so I obviously win" and the other one "I'M SO loving CRAZY"? Because CivilDisobedience comes off 9/10 like the former (Oh well I wasn't rude to you so I win obviously).

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
listen, you are mad, and care, and care that i'm wrong, and the fact that i care so much about whether or not you care and/or are mad means that i win. and also those baka gringos have no honor, or whatever

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
that bullshido forum is really cool, and filled with a LOT of guys who really want you to come to their dojo and see who the real true warrior is, and they are all racist idiots, and one time fatherdog went to one of their dojo-coming-down-tos and stuck his nuts in a guy's mouth

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I used to post at (and write for) Bullshido but I stopped when I realized the whole 'WELL WHY DON'T YOU COME SAY THAT TO MY FACE' stuff was pretty juvenile and stupid.

I mean what they 'actually' do is alright but there's maybe like fifteen people who give a poo poo about revealing fraud and the rest just want a chance to call other BJJ blue belts retards.

ps that toehold talk was awesome, good job civil that was fuckin cool

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Haha, for real. I even heard Ryan hall, the first un athletic white guy, talking about these guys and saying the pie just isn't that big.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
bullshido was literally invented so that people could say "look at these internet tough guy idiots saying they could beat people up if they came down to their dojo. i could easily beat them up. if they came down to my dojo" and nobody sees anything funny or weird about that, because humans are incapable of honest + critical self analysis

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

david carmichael posted:

time fatherdog went to one of their dojo-coming-down-tos and stuck his nuts in a guy's mouth

Wait, all that COME DOWN TO MY DOJO WE'LL SEE WHO'S THE BOSS HOSS stuff actually sometimes results in a real-life Nerd Throwdown? Like, for serious?

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
I want to see a video/breakdown of the foot bend in action.

I'm fully willing to completely breakdown and explain any of my ridiculous poo poo and you should be too.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
I will try to make that happen, if only because we need more stuff like this out there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I3LbEPb0Hw

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

david carmichael posted:

that bullshido forum is really cool, and filled with a LOT of guys who really want you to come to their dojo and see who the real true warrior is, and they are all racist idiots, and one time fatherdog went to one of their dojo-coming-down-tos and stuck his nuts in a guy's mouth

God bless you, Mr. Carmichael

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

Haha, for real. I even heard Ryan hall, the first un athletic white guy, talking about these guys and saying the pie just isn't that big.

If you implying that a sport whose biggest tournament exists only on the whim of an absolute monarch is something other than an economic powerhouse then wow just wow

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Garry Tonon has two write-ups in competing at the Kumite:

http://www.graciemag.com/2013/01/inside-the-bjj-kumite-garry-tonons-take-part-1/

http://www.graciemag.com/2013/01/inside-the-bjj-kumite-garry-tonons-take-part-2/

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I will fight* everyone in this thread

*play footsie

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I will fight toe hug man to the out-of-breath in the fatgoon jitsu pit. I will use my deadly technique of "fat side control" to perform a diaphragm choke on him and we will see whose obscure technique is most able to defeat someone who is not an experienced grappler.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Saw this one making the rounds on FB today. Pretty sick finish, that guy must have killer grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvpOSN2PnW0

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
That's similar to a choke set up I've learned where you get that exact grip and roll to your stomach giving up your back. As you extend your arms your opponent is finished even though he has your back. The move I learned is a high risk last ditch move except when you want to humiliate blue belts. I am surprised to see a similar choke at that level.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

colonel_korn posted:

Saw this one making the rounds on FB today. Pretty sick finish, that guy must have killer grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvpOSN2PnW0

I learned this from guard. You break their posture down, get grips and then bait them with a loose guard in the direction you want them. They go to pass and you spin to set the choke in hard.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

TheKingslayer posted:

I learned this from guard. You break their posture down, get grips and then bait them with a loose guard in the direction you want them. They go to pass and you spin to set the choke in hard.

Yeah, some people are sneaky as hell with this. It looks like Hage has a pretty monster grip because Maxwell looked like he was going to be able to transition to the arm bar but still got choked.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I was just reading GracieMag's writeup of the event and apparently he won multiple matches doing that, including one where he choked Clark Gracie unconscious :pwn: That one might get uploaded later.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

He must have a good way of fooling these guys, because I get paranoid as hell when someone has a hand inside my collar. I'll move heaven and earth to get it our of there before moving on. But then again I'm not a black belt, so I might be stupid.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
As the greatest toehold grappler of all time (every morning I toehold myself to prepare and condition my toes for combat, doing it until they all "pop") I'd be willing to explain the ins and outs of popping my toes applying this devastating technique.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
anyone have links to videos of any of marcel goncalves matches?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Here's the other baseball choke finish :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87s5aRdrY1w

Total armchair analysis here but it seems to me that Gracie could have given up the mount and circled around to his left to relieve the pressure?
I wonder if just psychologically you don't want to give up that position once you've got it.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
It didn't really seem to work out that well for the other guy.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Last night we worked the anaconda choke, but I'm still really unclear on how to get enough pressure on the arteries to make it a choke and not just a kneeling headlock.

Can I get some pointers?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Last night we worked the anaconda choke, but I'm still really unclear on how to get enough pressure on the arteries to make it a choke and not just a kneeling headlock.

Can I get some pointers?

I'm still figuring out the choke, but heres a cool video of Rafael Mendes teaching it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw2xfELw4wc

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Can I get some pointers?

Finishing the anaconda usually involves pressuring down on the back of the head. This forces his neck forward into the "V" created by his shoulder and your arm, which creates the pressure on the arteries. When Nog does this choke, that's why he does that walking his hips into the other guy after the roll; he's using his body to pressure the back of the head. You can see when Bader pulled half guard against Vladdy to finish it he was also using his body to pressure the back of his head.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Thanks guys!

fatherdog posted:

You can see when Bader pulled half guard against Vladdy to finish it he was also using his body to pressure the back of his head.

why must you remind me of this tragedy :smith:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
What's the best way to finish up the RNC if I have very long arms? I have their trachea in the V of my elbow, hand grasping my bicep, other hand on the back of their head. I'm puffing my chest forward and pulling back/squeezing with the choking arm. Despite this, there just seems to be too much space in there and I can't get enough pressure to get a tap or put them out. I've experimented with grabbing my shoulder instead of my bicep, but that seems to move the V of the elbow out of position and turn it into a trach crush with my bicep. It also seems to make it easier to break my grip.

edit: Also I am doing lots of curls, but that's more of a long-term solution :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Are you bringing your elbows together?