Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Boondock Saint posted:

That stuff transfers over as well.

Handy! Thanks.

In interesting news, "Square have shipped over 300,000 copies of [Blavery Default Fairy] in Japan thus far, and that actual sales figures should hit 300k by the end of the month". A sequel is being hinted, but still no news on a localization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

If anyone else bought an XL from best buy (or is still waiting for a better deal) they're dropping them an extra :10bux: this week as an unadvertised sale. I just stopped by and got my receipt adjusted for the 170 price from last weeks 180.

Regular 3ds is back to full MSRP.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Vegastar posted:

If anyone else bought an XL from best buy (or is still waiting for a better deal) they're dropping them an extra :10bux: this week as an unadvertised sale. I just stopped by and got my receipt adjusted for the 170 price from last weeks 180.

Regular 3ds is back to full MSRP.

Confirmed in Ohio, just got one for $169.99. My blue XL looks so nice. :)

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Saoshyant posted:

Handy! Thanks.

In interesting news, "Square have shipped over 300,000 copies of [Blavery Default Fairy] in Japan thus far, and that actual sales figures should hit 300k by the end of the month". A sequel is being hinted, but still no news on a localization.

In related news, that weird Tosochu (run away from agents) game remains firmly in the top 20 with actual sales now topping 400,000 (BDFF's long sunk out of view), and I think Japan Victor's Kobito Zukan just dropped out of the top 30 with actual sales over 300,000 units.

We live in weird times.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Playing a bit more, and I really liking the new Paper Mario. I was a bit down on playing it after hearing how simplified it was and the lack of partners, but the game is generally fun. I do like the strange combat system, and the first chapter boss was a actual legit tough boss fight.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Rirse posted:

Playing a bit more, and I really liking the new Paper Mario. I was a bit down on playing it after hearing how simplified it was and the lack of partners, but the game is generally fun. I do like the strange combat system, and the first chapter boss was a actual legit tough boss fight.

I haven't had a whole lot of challenge in this or NSMB2, but on the whole I've been having a hell of a lot of fun with them, too. It's a long, relaxing kind of entertainment that I haven't had in a long time.

I can see how everyone who's been playing the new super Mario bros games could be down on this. Thankfully, I haven't played one since the original DS one came out years ago, so it's still feeling good for me. The coin gimmick is actually kind of entertaining to me.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Rirse posted:

It was my first Paper Mario game and I enjoyed beating it quite a bit. The only downside for me was that there wasn't really any replay value.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Since there isn't really anything else coming out this month, I decided to give the trial of Fire Emblem: Awakening a try despite my general apathy/dislike of RPGs (The only one I've enjoyed enough to play it for more than an hour was Chrono Trigger and even then I ended up getting bored and finished the game by reading an LP).

Holy crap.

I am now deeply regretting shunning tactical RPGs in the past. I'm now playing through the ambassador version of Sacred Stones and having a blast. I'm gonna like the casual option of FE:A, I think; I've already had to reset a couple of chapters in SS because I am apparently not good at character placement (also CRIT ARROWS :argh:). The costumes and character design in FE:A do bother me a bit, but like Virtue's Last Reward and 999 I'm just gonna roll my eyes and deal with it.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Maybe I really should check out Kid Icarus. I just can never find handheld games locally for less than full price, and a full price 3DS game here is almost the same as a console game. KH 3D... I'd have to wait to get it cheap.
I would argue that KI:U has pretty much as much depth and replayability as an average non-portable console game. Also it has a multiplayer mode that is still decently active. Every couple of weeks or so I boot up KI:U and play a few hours online and I generally have a blast.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 28, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Maybe I really should check out Kid Icarus. I just can never find handheld games locally for less than full price, and a full price 3DS game here is almost the same as a console game. KH 3D... I'd have to wait to get it cheap.

I still dunno about RE Revelations, I know it's supposed to be much better than RE6, but even the earlier games are hard for me to play these days. For a while it looked like Dead Space was gonna take over where RE4 stopped (happy medium between RE3, RE5) but that looks like it's moving more towards action too.

RE Revelations is also being ported to literally everything that isn't the Vita, so if you'd rather play it on your PC/360/Wii U/PS3, you might wanna wait on it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

RE Revelations is also being ported to literally everything that isn't the Vita, so if you'd rather play it on your PC/360/Wii U/PS3, you might wanna wait on it.

On the other side of that coin, they're charging 50 or 60 bucks for it on those platforms. It's 18 bucks for a used copy at GameStop. It better have some wild improvements to justify the difference in cost.

Edit: 50 bucks, and not coming out until may. The only significant improvements are HD graphics and a small smattering of add ons.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 28, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Vegastar posted:

It better have some wild improvements to justify the difference in cost.

Well, graphics and no need for a dumb accessory for one.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

We live in weird times.

Those are based on popular TV shows you talked about some time last year, aren't they? I'd assume it's not that surprising seeing as the 3DS isn't exactly targeting a specific audience and there's lots of adults who like their TV shows.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
^^: You don't need the CPP at *all* for Revelations.

TurnipFritter posted:

I will say that Revelations has some of the best 3D effects I've seen, comparable to a big budget movie. I think playing it on another system will have you missing out.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Saoshyant posted:

Those are based on popular TV shows you talked about some time last year, aren't they? I'd assume it's not that surprising seeing as the 3DS isn't exactly targeting a specific audience and there's lots of adults who like their TV shows.

What dumb accessory did this one need? All I needed was the 3DS.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Commissar Ken posted:

I got through it just fine using face button aiming, too. To each their own, though. I'd rather pay half the price and not wait an extra 3 months. The visuals are great, pretty much tied with kid Icarus for prettiest 3ds game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rirse posted:

All the boss fights are basically puzzles. If you are having a legitimately hard time with anybody but the end boss, you're not solving the puzzle. There are always one or two Things that can trivialize bosses.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Saoshyant posted:

Revelations doesn't require the CPP, and works rather well without it. Game rules.

Also everybody has been spelling Revelations wrong. :colbert:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

lelandjs posted:

I am now deeply regretting shunning tactical RPGs in the past. I'm now playing through the ambassador version of Sacred Stones and having a blast. I'm gonna like the casual option of FE:A, I think; I've already had to reset a couple of chapters in SS because I am apparently not good at character placement (also CRIT ARROWS :argh:). The costumes and character design in FE:A do bother me a bit, but like Virtue's Last Reward and 999 I'm just gonna roll my eyes and deal with it.

As much as I appreciate that Awakening has a casual mode for people new to Fire Emblem, if you have any interest in playing the other games in the series that aren't Sacred Stones (Widely regarded to be the easiest outside of Awakening), I would advise against Casual, since it might encourage a playstyle that won't work on any of the other (harder and non-toggleable-permadeath) games.

If you're just looking to enjoy those two games, however, knock yourself out and play how you'd like.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Casual mode kind of acts as an enabler for seriously lazy tactics, as he says. You can't afford to take pointless risks in any other Fire Emblem, or treat your dudes like cannon fodder (unless you hate them).

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Oblivious posted:

Casual mode kind of acts as an enabler for seriously lazy tactics, as he says. You can't afford to take pointless risks in any other Fire Emblem, or treat your dudes like cannon fodder (unless you hate them).

Casual mode in FE12 meant that I didn't have to burn a Rescue staff use on a defenseless pre-promote three places from the boss. :colbert:

Though I guess FE12 is more the exception than the rule. I still ended up resetting whenever one of my actual units died.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
Is Mario Tennis Open worth picking up if I haven't played a prior game in the series? If not, what other alternatives are there on the 3DS besides Tennis '89?

Commissar Ken posted:

You just answered your own question. :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

StevenM posted:

Is Mario Tennis Open worth picking up if I haven't played a prior game in the series? If not, what other alternatives are there on the 3DS besides Tennis '89?

Not in the slightest, Mario Tennis the laziest piece of crap I have ever seen come from the Nintendo camp, the online is also garbage and full of quitters. I can elaborate a bit more on why its so bad but only if you wanna hear it.

And 89 is pretty much it. :(

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 28, 2013

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Revelations doesn't require the CPP, and works rather well without it. Game rules.

You spelled Revelaitons wrong, too.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
My only real exposure to SRPGs is Disgaea (unless Advanced Wars counts?) and I hated it because of it having like, 300 sub-systems. It got way too overwhelming. I liked the story though. Is Fire Emblem less... convoluted?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Geektox posted:

My only real exposure to SRPGs is Disgaea (unless Advanced Wars counts?) and I hated it because of it having like, 300 sub-systems. It got way too overwhelming. I liked the story though. Is Fire Emblem less... convoluted?
Fire Emblem is a million times less complicated. All of the math is super simple, all of the systems are super-simple, everything about it is super-simple. The highest stats get is like 80, and that's HP, everything else caps out at maybe 40. It's still deep and strategic but it's not impossible to understand at all. The entire game runs on about six formulas, max, and the most complicated they get is

quote:

Hit Rate = Weapon's Hit rate + [(Skill x 3 + Luck) / 2]

And the most complicated the subsystems get is 'this class gains this skill at level 15, you can reclass a character down to level 10 in a different class and keep that skill, while also getting the skill the other class gets at level 15.' It's all super-simple. There's also maybe three real subsystems, tops. Hell, the fact that it's so simplistic and easy to understand at a glance is why I love Fire Emblem. Sounds right up your alley.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 28, 2013

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Mercury Crusader posted:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

StevenM posted:

You just answered your own question. :v:

H'yuk h'yuk h'yuk.

To answer your question and coming from someone who really loves some of the camelot mario sports games for the goofy stupid fun they are, Mario Tennis on the 3DS was really really lacking in just about everything.

limaCAT posted:

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yeah, that's how my copy is spelled. :cheers:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/28/bloody-vampire-for-nintendo-3ds-eshop-sounds-a-little-like-castlevania/

Well, there's at least SOMETHING coming out for the NA eShop this week. Bloody Vampire and Witch's Cat.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Fire Emblem is a million times less complicated. All of the math is super simple, all of the systems are super-simple, everything about it is super-simple. The highest stats get is like 80, and that's HP, everything else caps out at maybe 40. It's still deep and strategic but it's not impossible to understand at all. The entire game runs on about six formulas, max, and the most complicated they get is

And the most complicated the subsystems get is 'this class gains this skill at level 15, you can reclass a character down to level 10 in a different class and keep that skill, while also getting the skill the other class gets at level 15.' It's all super-simple. There's also maybe three real subsystems, tops. Hell, the fact that it's so simplistic and easy to understand at a glance is why I love Fire Emblem. Sounds right up your alley.

You also don't need to know anything about the formulas to play it. Almost all of the strategy is about character placement, and the only math you have to do is addition and subtraction.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

You know, I thought I spelt it "Revelaitons" but it turns out I didn't. Curse me and my spelling. The joke is dead.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Yeah I've found it nearly impossible to go back to the Disgaeas and Tactics style games after getting hooked on FE. It's so much less of a grind while being more challenging overall even with less complex systems.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Regy Rusty posted:

You also don't need to know anything about the formulas to play it. Almost all of the strategy is about character placement, and the only math you have to do is addition and subtraction.

On the other hand, if you're the kind of person that's not very good at statistics and says things like '5% chance to crit? That's incredibly unlikely! I don't have to worry about that!' Fire Emblem is very frustrating and you should stay far, far away.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Geektox posted:

Nippon Ichi games are more or less for people who like getting really big numbers, and that's about it. They're rather shallow on every other front.

e:

Vegastar posted:

On the other side of that coin, they're charging 50 or 60 bucks for it on those platforms. It's 18 bucks for a used copy at GameStop. It better have some wild improvements to justify the difference in cost.

Edit: 50 bucks, and not coming out until may. The only significant improvements are HD graphics and a small smattering of add ons.

This post made me check Amazon, and you can nab it new there for 20 bucks. Ordered it, but, by the time it gets here I'll probably never play it thanks to Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey and Monster Hunter in such short succession :smithicide:

Pomp fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 29, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fire Emblem is unlike most other strategy RPGs, but Disgaea is the one it's least like. The simple math, few attack types, short lifespans, and self-balancing action economy place a stronger emphasis on tactical positioning than on party composition. Comparing it to a pure strategy game like Advance Wars is not off base, as the counterattack, effective damage, and terrain systems function similarly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pomp posted:

Nippon Ichi games are more or less for people who like getting really big numbers, and that's about it. They're rather shallow on every other front.

I wouldn't say that. Disgaea has a lot of strategic depth but very little tactical depth. Fire Emblem is the reverse--a lot of tactical depth and very little strategic depth.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pomp posted:

That's not really true, but Disgaea is the total polar opposite of Fire Emblem to be sure. In Disgaea the battles are an obstacle to be overcome, the real depth of the game is trying to manipulate the mechanics to avoid playing them as much as possible. Where as in Fire Emblem the battles are kind of the entire point.

So to answer Geektox's question, liking or disliking Disgaea doesn't really say much about whether you'll like other SRPGs.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It does say a lot about your worth as a human being, however.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anything ulillillia likes is alright by me. Jumping Flash, Bubsy 3D, Disgaea.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Which of the handheld FE games hold up really well today? Which ones should I play, and in which order? I've basically missed the whole series.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
All the handheld Fire Emblems hold up, but 7's generally considered to be the most polished and well-rounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Chinook posted:

Which of the handheld FE games hold up really well today? Which ones should I play, and in which order? I've basically missed the whole series.

7 is my favorite, and probably the best (of the handhelds) so far. If you have an Ambassador 3DS you can play 8 which is also good and fairly easy making it a good intro to the series.

Otherwise you could wait until next month and play Awakening which is supposed to be pretty great I guess???

• Locked thread