Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

That Amazon offer is mighty tempting, does anybody know if it activates on steam?

XCOM: EU is Steamworks, it activates on Steam anywhere you buy it.

Thanks everybody for the further help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmilo
Jun 27, 2006
wooo

Edmond Dantes posted:

That Amazon offer is mighty tempting, does anybody know if it activates on steam?

Yes, I bought the game Friday through amazon and it activated through steam

Edit- beaten :(

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

A Violence Gang posted:

XCOM: EU is Steamworks, it activates on Steam anywhere you buy it.

Thanks everybody for the further help!

Oh, awesome. Just hope it lasts until tomorrow, I'm on my phone and it won't let me buy it from here, only add it to my wishlist. :argh:

/edit: thanks to both!

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Scirocco Griffon posted:

I've always gone for at least carapace armor first, mainly because most times I can keep squad coverage good enough that defending from a lucky critical hit is more important than having stronger weapons early on. Beam weapons aren't too much of a rush since you get a research credit from capturing a Sectoid, which is a requirement to move the game along anyway, so the time investment isn't that big of a hit if you wait a little.
Well it's not that good option on Impossible. The earliest you can get a mission full of Chryssalids is the second month. If you don't go for Beam Weapons first, you won't have Lasers ready by then since it's actually slower to Laser Rifles to attempt to do the tech to grab a Sectoid first. Facing Chryssalids with Laser Rifles is a more pleasant prospect compared to facing Chryssalids with Rifles even if you have armor.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Basically all early game aliens have +15% natural chance to crit in Impossible (with relation to Classic). Even in full cover a loving Sectoid has like a 25% chance to crit you. You do not want to be rolling with a few extra HP in a situation like that, it's a losing proposition. You want to have weapons that can KILL that motherfucker before he can ever fire. When you've got that, the armor you want isn't even Carapace. Don't bother with Carapace, it's pointless. Get Skeleton and let the natural Defense you get whittle away at their crit advantage.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Does rank affect whether or not a soldier will have The Gift? That is to say, should I start testing all my squaddies now, or wait till they get promoted for best results?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

Does rank affect whether or not a soldier will have The Gift? That is to say, should I start testing all my squaddies now, or wait till they get promoted for best results?

Indirectly, yes. It tests their CURRENT will, so a Colonel will have a better chance than a Squaddie just due to the fact that they've probably got 30 or 40 more will.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

Coolguye posted:

Indirectly, yes. It tests their CURRENT will, so a Colonel will have a better chance than a Squaddie just due to the fact that they've probably got 30 or 40 more will.

This is true, however when it comes down to it you save far more time by just testing everyone and phasing out the people who aren't psychic with people who are. Buy batches of recruits, test them, then ditch the ones who don't make the grade. Insert positives into your A-team one by one to be boosted up to a point where they can take care of themselves.

You only need one psi-soldier to finish the game, but live is substantially more simple when half or more of your squad are rocking super high willpower and mindfray. There's no time pressure at the end of the game, you can spend as long as you care (ie. until you get bored) to get your squad just-so for the final mission.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
You can also cheat the system if you're happy to savescum it. The game decides if a soldier will be psychic when he or she is put into the psi lab, not when the results come out. They are however only locked out once the 10 days have run their course and they have been found not to have the Gift. So if you have a soldier who you really want to be psychic, put them in, save the game, fast forward ten days (ignore any events, you will probably reload anyway). If they have the Gift, huzzah, reload your game and play normally. If not, reload, pull them out and put them in again and repeat. Pulling them out and putting them in again rolls the dice a second time, and you can get different results from it.

Doing this you can get every single one of your soldiers to have the gift in guaranteed batches of three. It requires a little patience though, and full squads of psychics can be a little gamebreaking - I got a bomb disposal mission after doing this, but with each mindfray being a guaranteed thinman kill it totally trivialised it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Does anyone try and get the Will powerup from the officer school? Seems to me its only doable getting it late in game and at that stage its kinda wasted.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
Jesus Christ, has anyone ever beaten the 3rd Slingshot mission on Classic Ironman in the 2nd Month?

I managed to just beat the 2nd one with 2 of my best dead and 2 injured. I don't really see how I could have done it any better than that it was all but impossible, but then the next mission came up 2 days later and all I've got is one sniper and a team full of Rookies, I barely got to the 2nd power thingy before I got spat on by a million thin men, there's just no way it's beatable.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Neal! posted:

Jesus Christ, has anyone ever beaten the 3rd Slingshot mission on Classic Ironman in the 2nd Month?

I managed to just beat the 2nd one with 2 of my best dead and 2 injured. I don't really see how I could have done it any better than that it was all but impossible, but then the next mission came up 2 days later and all I've got is one sniper and a team full of Rookies, I barely got to the 2nd power thingy before I got spat on by a million thin men, there's just no way it's beatable.

I skip Slingshot now. It's just way too hard on Classic. Can do the rescue with no casualties. Can't do the 2nd mission without losing at least a couple people; fighting Mutons with ballistic weapons is a fool's errand.

Also, holy crap elite weaponry is expensive. I don't think there are any enemies that use plasma snipers or alloy cannons so I had to build those myself. I've been capturing mutons left and right for their plasma weaponry, but I can't get a heavy plasma to save my life. I had 2 separate heavy floaters down to 1 HP. Failed the stun on one. On the second, running up next to it spawned 2 mutons and a berserker and I had to run for my life instead.

On the plus side, I now have 3 continents with firestorms + EMP cannons. That's just hilariously overpowered.

Routah
Feb 6, 2012

The Neal! posted:

I don't play ironman as it keeps crashing and bugging the hell out on me but I don't savescum either. I did all the slingshot missions as they came up as I didn't realise you could stall them out after the first one, and don't really recall having much trouble with any of it. I did lose a rookie in the third mission because I didn't realise there were no walls near one of the doorways and he got muton flanked.

Patience and luring the baddies out to positions better suited for fighting and liberal use of explosives is what it's all about. It was the only mission where I used what's-his-face so I could have two ranked up heavies.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
2 heavies, a squad sight sniper and an assault with lasers can trivialize Slingshot missions 2 and 3 on Classic.

The same combo works on Impossible, but it's semi-random as to whether you'll have the resources to pull it off.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The Neal! posted:

If you're accelerating straight to at least laser rifles and pistols, you have a good chance. I managed to reach the very end of the battleship with 2 advanced classes and 4 rookies before I got hosed over by a 90% missing.

On the other hand, you can just skip the DLC mission until you're ready. It will pop up again and again until you take the mission.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

FairGame posted:

Also, holy crap elite weaponry is expensive. I don't think there are any enemies that use plasma snipers or alloy cannons so I had to build those myself. I've been capturing mutons left and right for their plasma weaponry, but I can't get a heavy plasma to save my life. I had 2 separate heavy floaters down to 1 HP. Failed the stun on one. On the second, running up next to it spawned 2 mutons and a berserker and I had to run for my life instead.
I recommend getting even more engineers to reduce the cost substantially. In my last game I finished with 6 workshops and had 7 at one point before I started messing around and trying to get the Oppenheimer achievement (seriously, how anyone can get that without going more than a year into the campaign or picking only scientists for abduction mission rewards is beyond me). Enemies start sporting heavy plasma toward the very end of the game (Muton Elites will carry them first I believe, then Heavy Floaters) and will have far better aim than your heavies to boot while your guys are only on plasma rifles otherwise. Given how much heavy plasma crits for, the cost of getting hit is basically the same toward the end even if everyone has either Archangel Armor or Ghost Armor.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

After I beat Classic Ironman, my save file is just kinda sitting there right before the final encounter. I need to capture and interrogate a standard-issue Floater to get the "All Research Completed" achievement, but that late in the game, they've been completely replaced by Heavy Floaters. Since you do run into every possible alien in the final mission, if I were to capture one on the last mission and beat the game again, after all is said and done if I were to load that save file again, do you think there's a chance that captured floater will be sitting there waiting for me to interrogate him?

Or does anyone have an idea of how else I could encounter a Floater?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I finally beat Ironman Classic. Once you get past the first 3 months without loving up too much it does not seem that much harder than normal difficulty. By the end I was just recklessly steamrolling everything. The first few months are key, and properly dealing with thin men is what seems to make or break those first few months.

There were a few close calls thanks to teleporting and other bugs.

Pictured: beginning of turn 2

I think ghost assaults may be my favorite class. I tried beefing them up with combat stims but I don't think it was worth it.

Pistolier sniper was one idea that did not quite work out. Doing 7 damage a shot with a plasma pistol isn't bad but she just bring anything else to the table to make it work.

I guess impossible difficulty is next. And the slingshot dlc. I tried it on a few failed games and the difficulty level seems kind of bullshit in what it throws at you in the first few months - especially the train level. And there seems to be no option to do the original council missions and activate slingshot later :(

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

The Saddest Robot posted:

There were a few close calls thanks to teleporting and other bugs.

Pictured: beginning of turn 2

Looks like you also had problems with that specific map + UFO spawning every enemy when you're out in the open for no reason. After the fourth pack showed up in the activation animation, I just killed my game... only to get it again without moving anyone at all. So I had to take out whatever I could and pray that nobody died.

The good news was that after all those guys, I only needed to run to the control room and bag the last people.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

Looks like you also had problems with that specific map + UFO spawning every enemy when you're out in the open for no reason. After the fourth pack showed up in the activation animation, I just killed my game... only to get it again without moving anyone at all. So I had to take out whatever I could and pray that nobody died.

The good news was that after all those guys, I only needed to run to the control room and bag the last people.

I managed to survive that fuckery with a bit of balls and some strategic target picking, though I had 2 guys at 1 bar of health at the end of it. Thankfully the mutons only threw one grenade.

And of course I can't just run all the way to the control room assuming that that they were the only enemy left that didn't get teleported to me (they were), too risky.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

Does anyone try and get the Will powerup from the officer school? Seems to me its only doable getting it late in game and at that stage its kinda wasted.

You should really be getting this pretty much once you get a Major, it is a stellar upgrade.

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?
Is there a way to quit the tutorial early? I feel like I have a decent handle of the game. I just interrogated my first sectoid.

Also, I'm so drat broke in this game. I'm stuck in limbo where I need more engineers to build uplink facilities but don't know how to get more engineers aside from waiting for missions.

Finally, do i focus on offensive upgrades or defensive upgrades to start? I'm playing on normal and have thus far focused on armor.

EDIT: Thanks! I guess I'm through it then.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

nohopeindope fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 28, 2013

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

nohopeindope posted:

Is there a way to quit the tutorial early? I feel like I have a decent handle of the game. I just interrogated my first sectoid.

Also, I'm so drat broke in this game. I'm stuck in limbo where I need more engineers to build uplink facilities but don't know how to get more engineers aside from waiting for missions.

Finally, do i focus on offensive upgrades or defensive upgrades to start? I'm playing on normal and have thus far focused on armor.

The tutorial only lasts until your first UFO, I think. Interrogating an alien is a story objective, you'll have to do that in every playthrough.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
The tutorial ends after the first level, I think. If you mean all the PRIORITY!!!, that stuff just drives the plot.

You get 5 Engineers every time you build a Workshop.

In harder difficulties, you'll want to get guns before armor because you don't really want to get hit in the first place and Carapace just gives you more HP.

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?

dongsbot 9000 posted:

The tutorial ends after the first level, I think. If you mean all the PRIORITY!!!, that stuff just drives the plot.

You get 5 Engineers every time you build a Workshop.

In harder difficulties, you'll want to get guns before armor because you don't really want to get hit in the first place and Carapace just gives you more HP.

OK looks like I need to start building workshops next month. So far I have two laboratories (not sure why I did that), two power stations (working on a third), and the basic stuff that comes with the tutorial. How big a deal are adjacency bonuses? Should I leave a space blank while i save up to build another laboratory?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

nohopeindope posted:

OK looks like I need to start building workshops next month. So far I have two laboratories (not sure why I did that), two power stations (working on a third), and the basic stuff that comes with the tutorial. How big a deal are adjacency bonuses? Should I leave a space blank while i save up to build another laboratory?

Adjacency bonus is always helpful, but is super-crucial when building uplink stations. Also you should take that laboratory money and spend it on something better - labs aren't that useful, two of them is a bit overkill, and three is right out.

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?

Spiffo posted:

Adjacency bonus is always helpful, but is super-crucial when building uplink stations. Also you should take that laboratory money and spend it on something better - labs aren't that useful, two of them is a bit overkill, and three is right out.

OK I'll steer clear of Laboratories from now on. The adjacency bonuses got me thinking i should build at least two of everything.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

nohopeindope posted:

OK I'll steer clear of Laboratories from now on. The adjacency bonuses got me thinking i should build at least two of everything.

Unfortunately, there isn't actually much depth to the base building mechanic you don't really ever need more than one of anything other than uplinks or power stations if you play your abductions right. Though adjacency is crucial for increasing your power output and the number of satellites you can put in the air.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What things are crucial to get with the foundry?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Yeah, for regular power stations you want to make them adjacent for the extra 2 power you get for each plus. Ditto with satellites because each plus is a whole extra sat (a 2x2 block of basic uplinks can cover almost the entire map).

Otherwise you can pretty do whatever. Grab the bonuses if you plan to build more of that structure, otherwise don't sweat it too much.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Research Experimental Warfare.

e: can't read :downs:

got some chores tonight fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 28, 2013

bokkibear
Feb 28, 2005

Humour is the essence of a democratic society.

Zylen posted:

You've pulled back and are playing incredibly defensive? Hahaha gently caress you the enemy is going to camp for 10 turns in a row and the second you move your cautious lightning reflexes assault forward he gets hit by 2 or 3 overwatches and one of them crits and kills him.

I know you're exaggerating a bit here, but I thought I'd point out that overwatch normally can't crit. The only exception is when you have a sniper with Opportunist. Can be a useful piece of information if you're trying to dig out heavily dug-in sectoids - I believe the Plasma Pistol only does 4 damage tops, so if you have a full-health squaddie you can guarantee surviving one overwatch hit.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I see no harm in having 2 labs at least for the first few months. Eventually you'll get bottlenecked by fragments, though, and it won't matter how fast you can research.

The people that have shitloads of workshops aren't kidding around, though. That's a superb option. I'm probably going to OCD-style re-organize my base so I can get nice 2x2 or 3x3 blocks of things. My steam layout (2 adjacent spots on the lowest level) basically forced me to build a bunch of power stations wherever I could just so I could drill to steam.

What happens to your satellites if you forcibly remove an uplink that puts you under the max? Or will it not let me and I'll need to build an additional uplink/nexus in my new layout?

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?

Spiffo posted:

Yeah, for regular power stations you want to make them adjacent for the extra 2 power you get for each plus. Ditto with satellites because each plus is a whole extra sat (a 2x2 block of basic uplinks can cover almost the entire map).

Otherwise you can pretty do whatever. Grab the bonuses if you plan to build more of that structure, otherwise don't sweat it too much.

Wait, adjacency bonuses are given to stuff above and below too! Ah crap, i feel like i should start over.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blast Fantasto posted:

What things are crucial to get with the foundry?

I found SHIVs extremely useful on classic ironman inbetween missions where half my team was dead or in sickbay, especially Alloy and Hover SHIVs, and once they get suppression. By the end of the game two of them replaced my human soldiers. Improved medkits and arc thrower are useful too.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Improved medkits, improved arc thrower, and ammo conservation. At first I was like "ammo conservation why would I ever need that?", but then being caught in a heavy firefight where I had to kill aliens NOW or be wiped made me really glad I had double the shots I did before researching it. Ammo conservation is also a Rapid Fire Assault's (or a Suppression Heavy's) favorite upgrade.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ammo conservation is incredible.

Though I'm tempted to use 0 heavies in my next game and just roll with a bunch of Supports that have Rifle Supression. Heavies really aren't good for anything other than blowing things up, and I figure I could just Deep Pockets my way to carrying a spare Alien Grenade or something.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Quick question, do you lose five engineers when you demolish a workshop?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

nohopeindope posted:

Wait, adjacency bonuses are given to stuff above and below too! Ah crap, i feel like i should start over.

I should add this to the op when I get home. Second time this has come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

FairGame posted:

Ammo conservation is incredible.

Though I'm tempted to use 0 heavies in my next game and just roll with a bunch of Supports that have Rifle Supression. Heavies really aren't good for anything other than blowing things up, and I figure I could just Deep Pockets my way to carrying a spare Alien Grenade or something.

HEAT ammo applies to every single way a Heavy can do damage, (except pistol?) which makes them fantastic anti-robot specialists. That's basically their only niche though.

• Locked thread