Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoB
May 1, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Sometimes, a game just wants to let you break things.

Though, something to note:

FE4 had a bunch of amazing units with no reason not to field them. Then we got FE5.

FE10 culminated in a massive horde of units, most of which had at least some potential to be great when they got there. Then we got FE11.

FE13 gives you good growths across the board, and a reclass/skill system that really lets you wreck things.

I dread FE14.

I doubt it. 13 was so insanely successful for them that they'll at least keep the lower level difficulties accessible to normal people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I want this game to be a huge hit so we get a sequel...and a new Advance Wars game. Make it happen!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Something I just wondered about, is there a compilation of all the "Item broken!" sound clips from all the games pieced together? They always make me laugh because I can't take that sad melody for an item seriously.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Slate Action posted:

I want this game to be a huge hit so we get a sequel...and a new Advance Wars game. Make it happen!

I'm not going to speculate about AW, but we'll almost certainly see a sequel to Awakening. Not only was it really popular, but FE titles are almost always released in duologies anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Is casual and classic a toggle-able thing or a one-time choice at the start? If it's something you only pick at the beginning I might just have to play on casual. I can't see myself playing Katarina's dlc with permanent death.

Just going to chime in and say that it's not significantly harder to beat Katarina's DLC deathlessly than it is to just beat it at all. Pretty much the only difference between the two is that to keep people alive you need almost everyone to have lightning speed, instead of just a lot of them.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I'm assuming you've played all the DLC? How are they? Would you say it's worth it to shell out for all of them?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

I'm assuming you've played all the DLC? How are they? Would you say it's worth it to shell out for all of them?

Well, we don't actually know what they'll go for here, so I'd imagine that would be a bit hard to answer. I guess s/he could answer going by yen, but I don't think you should place too much emphasis on that, at least not yet.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RuBisCO posted:

Yeah, I have all the DLC. Here's my general opinion (ignoring the actual aesthetics of the characters and only caring about the gameplay value):

Marth - is free at launch so why not get it
Roy - not worth it
Micaiah - gives an important skill and is the best grinding map on lunatic for characters level 40-60 or so
Leaf - not worth it
Alm - gives a neat class
Celice - gives an incredibly important skill for grinding and is the best grinding map on lunatic for characters level 60+
Elincia - not worth it
Eirika - gives a class that's kind of neat but largely skippable. Optimized teams will have one character sniper a single skill from it and then reclass back out
Lyn - gives a bad skill, skippable
Ephraim - the first truly postgame DLC. Worth it if you want a challenge that tests your endgame team rather than a crazy minmaxed team
Celika - not worth it
Ike - gives a skill that is an absolute prerequisite for some of the later DLC
Gold and Silver - only easy way to go infinite on money in lunatic
Entombed Heaven - practically the only way to grind level 1-40 characters in lunatic. Not actually faster than doing skirmishes if in normal or hard
Infinite Divine Weapons - kind of a pain to grind weapons out of, and the only divine weapons that even come close to mattering are Swanchika, Ragnell, Gradivus, and Fala Flame, and Fala Flame and Ragnell are the only ones that can't be approximated by forging 1-2 range weapons. Forged brave weapons are better than all the 1-range divine weapons.
Future of Despair series - probably worth it, I can only understand about 50% of the dialogue without poring over a dictionary but the extra story seemed ok
Ultimate Training series - 1, 3, and 4 are all very good, interesting maps with plenty of strategic depth. 4 mostly requires limit breaker, whereas the first 3 don't (and 2 is trivialized by it).
Bonds series - almost certainly worth it, though I can't say for sure because I'm not super-fluent in Japanese.

KoB
May 1, 2009
How do skills work exactly? Can I just earn as many skills as I want then equip the ones I want when applicable? Or do you only get a max of 5 at any time?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

KoB posted:

How do skills work exactly? Can I just earn as many skills as I want then equip the ones I want when applicable? Or do you only get a max of 5 at any time?

You can learn as many as you like then swap them around as you please. The only limit is that only 5 can be active at once and the one in the last slot of those 5 is inherited by any children the character might have when the time comes with the exception of Chrom who always passes down Aether or Royal Weapon.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, I have all the DLC. Here's my general opinion (ignoring the actual aesthetics of the characters and only caring about the gameplay value):
Roy - not worth it

B... but Dra... Drakengard Roy... :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

When you reclass/promote Leaf the game should just keep him in the exact same class he already is but give him +1 str.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KoB posted:

You can have 5 at any time and through careful marriage end up with characters who have skills they don't otherwise have access to.

A manakate with the +20% to Growths skill is the absolute best thing. At least a point in every single stat every single level. :allears:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ImpAtom posted:

A manakate with the +20% to Growths skill is the absolute best thing. At least a point in every single stat every single level. :allears:

Welp, I was trying to figure out who I thought would be best for the Villager guy to pair with and this has got to be it. Speaking of manaketes, do they still have to rely on a limited use non-replenishable item for their attack or are things a little nicer in that regard now?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Welp, I was trying to figure out who I thought would be best for the Villager guy to pair with and this has got to be it. Speaking of manaketes, do they still have to rely on a limited use non-replenishable item for their attack or are things a little nicer in that regard now?

Too bad the only Manakete Donny can be paired with is incredibly terrible and impossible to justify using ever.

And her daughter is just as insufferable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You can buy dragonstones now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Captain Oblivious posted:

Too bad the only Manakete Donny can be paired with is incredibly terrible and impossible to justify using ever.

Define incredibly terrible? Gameplay wise or annoying as poo poo wise?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

I don't really get the comment about the daughter but the mother is incredibly annoying. I just benched her the second I got her to S-rank which fortunately took only a handful of battles. She's fine in combat but she's a stupid character and I hate her.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You can buy Dragonstones and Dragonstone + at shops. They're the same as any other weapon now. If you really are paranoid Donny gives his daughter the Mercenary class and the Armsthrift skill which is a Luckx2 chance to not use up a weapon charge so you can cross-class and then back to dragon for infinite dragonstone.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

The Iron Rose posted:

Let me just quote her character page: "She looks and acts like a child, but is actually more than a thousand years old. Loves playing outside, like any child would, and is always searching for a playmate."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

You can have 5 at any time and through careful marriage end up with characters who have skills they don't otherwise have access to.

Unless they majorly increased the growths, HP will be the only growth over 100% with Donnel/Nowi, so I'm not sure what to make of this post.

e: also every single manakete in this game is an absolute wrecking ball, and I'll be damned if any character traits short of Makalov's bright pink afro are enough to stop me from using a good unit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Unless they majorly increased the growths, HP will be the only growth over 100% with Donnel/Nowi, so I'm not sure what to make of this post.

e: also every single manakete in this game is an absolute wrecking ball, and I'll be damned if any character traits short of Makalov's bright pink afro are enough to stop me from using a good unit.

Yes, at least a point in every stat, more than one in HP.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, at least a point in every stat, more than one in HP.

That still doesn't follow since Donnel+Nowi's kid has an average non-HP growth of 75% with Good Growths active. Not that 75% is anything to sneeze at, but it's hardly perfect levels every time.

Donnel's still a good pairing with her though since he's one of two dads that can give a daughter access to the Pegasus Knight class tree and thus the Lightning Speed skill.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

That still doesn't follow since Donnel+Nowi's kid has an average non-HP growth of 75% with Good Growths active. Not that 75% is anything to sneeze at, but it's hardly perfect levels every time.

Donnel's still a good pairing with her though since he's one of two dads that can give a daughter access to the Pegasus Knight class tree and thus the Lightning Speed skill.

I literally did not get a level with her where she didn't get a point in every stat. I could be RNG gifted but it sure as hell weights the RNG in your favor.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It's possible they increased growth rates. We already know the Avatar's HP growth at least is increased since it's possible to get +2 HP levels in the demo if you take the HP blessing.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Infinite dragonstones are simultaneously one of the best and worst things IS has done in this game. On the one hand, dragons finally get to be useful for the entire game, which is pretty great. On the other, it means I have to try and weigh the merits of maximum dragons v.s. getting the most out of the Avatar's awesome Spd modifier, which is pretty easily the hardest decision left for my setup.

why must you force me to make this choice IS

there is no path that will not lead to regret

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:
I straight up made a few diagrams to figure out things like pairing people off, who's being a magical or physical fighter, and just how many male children can get Lightning Speed shoved on them. It was a helpful exercise in taking the edge off anticipation, for me. :v:

Zurai posted:

It's possible they increased growth rates. We already know the Avatar's HP growth at least is increased since it's possible to get +2 HP levels in the demo if you take the HP blessing.

Growth rates this time are pretty nice. You can play around with the SF growth rate calculator to investigate.

:d:Please note: that page has every possible character and every possible class for each character in the drop-down menus, so it is very spoiler-laden. Take care in clicking:d:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Ern Malley posted:

Growth rates this time are pretty nice. You can play around with the SF growth rate calculator to investigate.

:d:Please note: that page has every possible character and every possible class for each character in the drop-down menus, so it is very spoiler-laden. Take care in clicking:d:

Yes, I know. As noted, those growth rates are at least partially incorrect, as either the Avatar's base HP growth or the bonus from HP blessing have been increased in the NA release. It's quite possible growths have been tweaked across the board.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not like it's unprecedented, they did some growth tweaking/base stat tweaking in the NA version of FE8, notably giving Rennac +8 base resistance for some reason.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ern Malley posted:

I straight up made a few diagrams to figure out things like pairing people off, who's being a magical or physical fighter, and just how many male children can get Lightning Speed shoved on them. It was a helpful exercise in taking the edge off anticipation, for me. :v:

I would be interested to see what you came up with if you are willing to share, otherwise I imagine I will probably do something similar this week as well.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have a high tolerance for annoyance and insufferable characters if it is in the name of Bigger Numbers. God I love me some numbers.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I would be interested to see what you came up with if you are willing to share, otherwise I imagine I will probably do something similar this week as well.

Big dumb PM sent to you, because this sort of thing might be too spoiler-y to discuss in the thread at the moment. :shobon:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

RuBisCO posted:

Here's a brief "How to Eugenics" in case anyone just wants a quick cliff notes sort of deal on what to watch out for:

1) Stat Caps
Each character has their own individual set of stat cap modifiers. This is added to normal class stat caps, giving each character a little diversity in their portfolio.
For the kids, their stat cap modifiers are the sum of the father's and the mother's, +1
Father: +1 Str, -2 Mag, +0 Luk
Mother: 0 Str, +1 Mag, +1 Luk
Kid: +2 Str, +0 Mag, +2 Luk
Stat Cap modifiers for all the parents can be found here, courtesy of Serenes Forest (some character spoilers).

2) Class Sets
For the first generation, each character has a total of three base classes they are free to class change to at anytime, along with their respective advanced classes.
For the kids, they will inherit the class options of both their father and mother. There are a couple of caveats to this:
- Special classes (Dancers, Lords) cannot be passed on.
- Gender-specific classes will be changed. For example, a father that would normally pass on the male-only fighter class to his son will pass on pegasus knight to his daughter, instead. This is actually character-specific as opposed to class-specific, as one father may have fighter --> pegasus knight while another may have fighter --> knight.
- Since the Avatar can swap to any class (again, excluding special classes and gender specific classes), so too can their kids.

3) Skills
Each parent will pass on their fifth and/or last slotted skill to their kid. This is decided as soon as you enter the sidequest that you recruit their respective kid from, so you have all the time in the world to grind up your skills before you start the mission**. The important note about this mechanic is that you can pass on skills that are normally tied to gender-specific to kids of the opposite gender. For example, women with access to Lightning Speed(!!) can pass on that skill to their sons, who normally would be unable to class change to pegasus knight and unlock it. This also applies to skills that are tied to special classes as well, (outside of DLC classes).

The real spergy part of it, is that some parents will pass on better classes to kids of the opposite gender than others. Here's a quick list of the important ones:
Gaius --> Will pass on pegasus knight (lightning speed) to daughters
Donnel --> Will pass on pegasus knight (lightning speed) to daughters
Vaike --> Will pass on mercenary (weapon saver) to daughters

**There is one special exception to this, where there is a time-limit: While most other kids are recruited in sidequests that can be done at anytime, Chrom's kid will auto-join by Chapter 13.

Can we get this into the OP?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Can we get this into the OP?

Cake Attack posted:

Inheritance:

Like in Genealogy of the Holy War, children are tied to a specific mother. Children inherit:

i) Base stats: A child character's bases are the average of their parents base stats, and their own inherent base stats (excluding class bases in all cases)
i) Growth rates: Growths for a child character are determined in the same way as above (except with growths, not bases).
iii) Max stat modifiers from their parents: All units have small modifiers to their class bases, Children characters inherit the sum of these modifiers, leading to higher, or lower, caps.
iv) The 5th active skill from their parents: The inheritance ignores gender, so feel free to put skills like Secluded Lady on your male children. DLC exclusive skills can't be passed on.
v) All regular class options from both parents: Gender unique classes will be replaced by a different class for the other gender. The special Villager class can be inherited by male units, and your Avatar’s child can be a Taguel and a Manakete, but otherwise special classes aren’t passed down.
vi) Chrom and your Avatar have slightly unique inheritance. Your Avatar will always have an specific opposite gendered child, on top of the mother-dependant child (assuming a male Avatar). Similarly, Chrom will always have a specific daughter, on top of the mother-dependant child. Furthermore, Chrom’s daughter(s) will always inherit Aether, and his son will always inherit Royal Weapon.

:colbert: (Okay, his is a little more indepth, but still. I'll add it in anyway though.)

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

So there's some buzz going around that the street date has been broken in Toronto and EBGames might start selling/shipping copies a bit early (whether or not this applies only to the Toronto area is unclear).

Fair warning, my only source is GameFAQs.

edit: i am crossing all my fingers that this comes to vancouver.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Does anyone have any information about this?

Brain One Seven
Feb 21, 2008

RuBisCO posted:

So there's some buzz going around that the street date has been broken in Toronto and EBGames might start selling/shipping copies a bit early (whether or not this applies only to the Toronto area is unclear).

Fair warning, my only source is GameFAQs.

edit: i am crossing all my fingers that this comes to vancouver.

It's less the street date being broken and more that Nintendo of Canada hosed up and apparently forgot to put a street date on it at all, so stores can just start selling it as soon as it shows up. That's what the guys at my EB told me when I picked it up at least.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Slate Action posted:

Does anyone have any information about this?

Amazon's run through their initial allotment of the game and are working from backorders at this point; the point being that people who order now are going to have to wait for the second printing/shipment.

Which will happen because Awakening is selling out everywhere. It is glorious to see.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
It's not street dated in the US either. On my pre-order receipt it doesn't have the "SD *insert date* on it. In comparison to my Ni No Kuni pre-order (I pre-ordered both games at the same time), it has "SD 1/22" after the title. I was able to pick up the later on the 22nd right when the store opened.

It will probably get fixed in their system tomorrow. Still, not going to stop me from harassing my best friend Gamestop employees about it though.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Brain One Seven posted:

It's less the street date being broken and more that Nintendo of Canada hosed up and apparently forgot to put a street date on it at all, so stores can just start selling it as soon as it shows up. That's what the guys at my EB told me when I picked it up at least.

Wait so EB in Canada is breaking the street date already? Looks like I've got an extra trip to make tomorrow.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

SpaceDrake posted:

Amazon's run through their initial allotment of the game and are working from backorders at this point; the point being that people who order now are going to have to wait for the second printing/shipment.

Which will happen because Awakening is selling out everywhere. It is glorious to see.

So since I pre-ordered the game last week, when that notice was already up, I'm not guaranteed a copy the week of the 4th? Hmm. Well if they don't sort it out by the 4th I'd still have the option of cancelling my pre-order and buying a digital copy...I don't have to make that decision until it ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I tried ordering from Target, and it seems to have worked out fine. Maybe try with other retailers of the game like Target or Walmart or Best Buy? :shobon:

It's great news that Gamestop and Amazon are running low, though. This game is in high demand!

• Locked thread