Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I feel like I live in an area where the stores running out won't be an issue, unless they're only stocking like five copies or something, but you guys are making me a little nervous. I might pre-order it after all. If I can find it.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I wonder if they have my Fire Emblem DS bundle, and if they'd give it to me early...

nah, I'm in the US and the folks at my gamestop are too earnestly rule-abiding. Except the insane, creepy manager lady who sold copies of Skyrim at 11:30pm, then locked the doors so no one could leave until midnight.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
With Amazon back-ordered, I'm not sure if I want a hard copy, or to download it the instant it hits the eShop and always have it on my 3DS. The eShop is sounding awfully tempting at this point, though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mr. Trampoline posted:

With Amazon back-ordered, I'm not sure if I want a hard copy, or to download it the instant it hits the eShop and always have it on my 3DS. The eShop is sounding awfully tempting at this point, though.
Honestly not sure why you'd want a hard copy of a game if you're not getting the collector's box?

I've been ignoring these backorder details, simply focusing on getting a good bargain on a new 3ds XL. I plan on just getting the game off the eShop but haven't experienced myself. Is there some bad mojo regarding the eshop (e.g., is it not hitting the eshop on launch day?)

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Just the lack of bonuses/awesome bundle I think. I'm nowhere conveniently close to a GameStop so I'm going digital too.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I'm not familiar with manaketes. Are they good enough to make a male Avatar's daughter into one? How about these rabbit people?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Alright so a guy I know who works at Gamestop is telling me that Nintendo may have just run out of art books so they stopped all pre-orders. Which is stupid and doesn't make sense, but Nintendo is weird so it's still plausible. Hoping that's the case because I don't care about any extraneous poo poo, I just like having hard copies of games whenever possible. I'll get the digital as a last resort but I'd really prefer not to.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Is there some bad mojo regarding the eshop (e.g., is it not hitting the eshop on launch day?)

Purchases for the 3DS done in the eShop is linked to your specific 3DS. So if you were to say, break your 3DS beyond repair, those purchases are gone for good. So if/when Nintendo does the smart thing and updates the 3DS to use Nintendo Network accounts like the WiiU, I'm weary of buying digital copies of games from Nintendo if not for that little liability.

I'm also spoiled by PSN in that I don't have to pay taxes on purchases.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordecai posted:

I'm not familiar with manaketes. Are they good enough to make a male Avatar's daughter into one? How about these rabbit people?

Basically they function in a rather unique way.

Instead of having 20/20 levels they have 30 but no promotion. They do not equip weapons but instead of have "stones" which function as their weapon but also provide a massive boost to their stats while equipped. They can also reclass into other classes but lose the ability to access their animal form while doing so. They're extremely powerful, especially the manaketes. In previous games they were balanced by the stones being hard to replace but that is no longer the case.

The biggest disadvantage they have is basically that their unique skills kind of suck and they only get 2, so you have to reclass them to get the biggest benefit. The other big disadvantage is that they have less weapon variety. They can't forge their Stones or get things like Armor Breaker or Brave Sword.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 29, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

yellowcar posted:

You can just set your state to one that doesn't have the sales tax or whatever in the region settings and you won't be charged extra.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
How big is the file size of this game? I'm planning on downloading it on the e-shop and I don't want to have to buy a new SD card. With all this talk of shipping delays I'm worried that I might not be able to play it at launch. :ohdear:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

How big is the file size of this game? I'm planning on downloading it on the e-shop and I don't want to have to buy a new SD card. With all this talk of shipping delays I'm worried that I might not be able to play it at launch. :ohdear:

8,577 blocks.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

yellowcar posted:

Purchases for the 3DS done in the eShop is linked to your specific 3DS. So if you were to say, break your 3DS beyond repair, those purchases are gone for good. So if/when Nintendo does the smart thing and updates the 3DS to use Nintendo Network accounts like the WiiU, I'm weary of buying digital copies of games from Nintendo if not for that little liability.

Urgh, thanks for reminding me why I hate the 3ds as a platform so much.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You can just set your state to one that doesn't have the sales tax or whatever in the region settings and you won't be charged extra.

It'd be nice except that I live in Canada. I did set it to Alberta though which gets taxed the least. :v:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ImpAtom posted:

8,577 blocks.

Oh good, I have more than enough space for it. Thanks. :)

yellowcar posted:

Couldn't you get around this by saving everything to the SD card and putting it into the new 3DS (assuming that the SD card isn't broken in the process)? Or does Nintendo have a "this wasn't originally from this 3DS gently caress your data" system going on?

e: You can as it turns out.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 29, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
God, I'm torn. I pre-ordered this game on Amazon awhile back when the shipping warning wasn't up yet, but Amazon is telling me it won't get here until anywhere from the 7th to the 11th. That might be a whole week without Fire Emblem! :ohdear:

On the other hand, I kind of want to cancel my pre-order and download it instead, but I know that if I try on the 4th the service is going to be getting loving hammered and it won't download for hours and/or probably disconnect in the middle. It took me a full half-hour to download the demo when it was released and the full game is eight times as big. What to do, what to do :ohdear:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

yellowcar posted:

There's a reason there's a system transfer.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/data_transfer.jsp

Your games and other purchased material do transfer.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

God, I'm torn. I pre-ordered this game on Amazon awhile back when the shipping warning wasn't up yet, but Amazon is telling me it won't get here until anywhere from the 7th to the 11th. That might be a whole week without Fire Emblem! :ohdear:

On the other hand, I kind of want to cancel my pre-order and download it instead, but I know that if I try on the 4th the service is going to be getting loving hammered and it won't download for hours and/or probably disconnect in the middle. It took me a full half-hour to download the demo when it was released and the full game is eight times as big. What to do, what to do :ohdear:

I pre-ordered a month ago and for me it says February 6th and i'm not getting any warnings. Odd.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

JackDarko posted:

I pre-ordered a month ago and for me it says February 6th and i'm not getting any warnings. Odd.

I placed my order at the beginning of the month and it still says the 6th for me too.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Serifina posted:

There's a reason there's a system transfer.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/data_transfer.jsp

Your games and other purchased material do transfer.

I know that but what I said was if your 3DS gets to a point where it doesn't even work anymore, a system transfer will be impossible. But since apparently it does transfer on an SD card (this is news to me), it shouldn't be an issue anymore I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ImpAtom posted:

8,577 blocks.

In real terms this is around 1.5GB, by the way.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Shiny777 posted:

Infinite dragonstones are simultaneously one of the best and worst things IS has done in this game. On the one hand, dragons finally get to be useful for the entire game, which is pretty great. On the other, it means I have to try and weigh the merits of maximum dragons v.s. getting the most out of the Avatar's awesome Spd modifier, which is pretty easily the hardest decision left for my setup.

why must you force me to make this choice IS

there is no path that will not lead to regret

That's going back to the roots; original FE had infinite Dragonstones.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-9FWGJx69E

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm 90% sure Female 2 and Female 3 are the same voice actor.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Endorph posted:

I'm 90% sure Female 2 and Female 3 are the same voice actor.

I had this exact same thought until a friend of mine called me an idiot.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Really wish they hadn't taken out the mute option.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Why in Anna's name would you ever want a silent protagonist when you don't have to?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Francis posted:

Really wish they hadn't taken out the mute option.

:bahgawd:Kids these days don't know how good they've got it. Back in my day, all we had in terms of voice work was poo poo like this, and by God we LIKED it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Terper posted:

Why in Anna's name would you ever want a silent protagonist when you don't have to?

Apparently it like rewrites a bunch of the dialogue, I'd be interested in seeing how they accommodate for that.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

Apparently it like rewrites a bunch of the dialogue, I'd be interested in seeing how they accommodate for that.

I'm guessing that it would mostly just be Chrom going, "What's that Avatar? Lissa fell down a well!?"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Alacron posted:

I'm guessing that it would mostly just be Chrom going, "What's that Avatar? Lissa fell down a well!?"

Essentially, yeah. It goes from,

"Who are you?"

"I don't remember my name."

to

"What's that? You don't remember your name you say?"

Also supports become ridiculous.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Terper posted:

Well, with Western RPGs where dialogue choices matter, there's the argument that a voiced PC/voices in the first place further reduces the amount of dialogue you can write due to VA costs.

In a game where dialogue choices are pointless? Not a god drat clue.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Wait, they seriously removed the mute option? I was really looking forward to that.

Sir Ilpalazzo fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 29, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Essentially, yeah. It goes from,

"Who are you?"

"I don't remember my name."

to

"What's that? You don't remember your name you say?"

Yeah, there are interesting ways to write mute characters, but I can think of like two games where the game actually took advantage of having a mute protagonist in any way instead of just having characters parrot what the character WOULD have said, if he could talk. You aren't missing much by them removing it, unless you really love awkward stilted dialogue.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Zore posted:

This is what I wanted to see. I've never been that interested in supports, so I wanted to see how awkward this could possibly get.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Canada got it early.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

Canada got it early.
Let's invade Canada.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Son of a bitch, I just bought a DS from a Canadian goon :argh: Stupid timing.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Terper posted:

Canada got it early.

I think I hate you. I really, really, really hate you. Why, NoE, why? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm European too. It's not mine. :negative:

It seems Serenes has been brought to its knees by these news as well. The site's down.

• Locked thread