Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The problem here is that there is a need for Disney to un-ruin something, if they are too hands off and Lucas decides he wants to be hands on there will be a problem.

I don't think Lucas could "decide to be hands on" even if he wanted to. He sold LucasFilm to them, he can't do much unless they let him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Besides JJ Abrams isn't some kid just out of filmschool who can easily be pushed around. Even if he isn't at the level of Lucas or Spielberg, he's got some clout.

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The problem here is that there is a need for Disney to un-ruin something, if they are too hands off and Lucas decides he wants to be hands on there will be a problem.

I can't imagine having a hands off attitude after a $4 billion investment.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The key will be how much power he has now Disney owns the property. If you watch any of the official behinds the scenes stuff for the prequels the sense of his total dominance and his employee's fear is palpable. As long as there are people in position to call him on his poo poo the damage he could do will be much reduced.

This is absolute bullshit made up by people influenced by Plinkett's satirical commentary on footage from behind-the-scenes meetings. No one in those videos looks to be in fear of Lucas, they're listening to him and showing respect because he is their boss and it is their job.

Isn't it possible to dislike Lucas's work while recognizing that he probably isn't literally Jabba the Hutt incarnated into the Earthly sphere? He donated billions of dollars to charity, people.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

jivjov posted:

Yeah, my go-to response to the fears that "Disney will ruin Star Wars" is "Disney owns Marvel, who made Avengers. Defense rests"

Usually when you're the defense, you try to disprove your opponent's claims.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think you can have this opinion when the movie was pretty much a critical and financial success. It was the culmination of five years worth of buildup spanning multiple movies. It could have been an awful bomb and the biggest case of blue balls since the Phantom Menace. What we got was actually pretty impressive.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
It was an impressive marketing campaign for a overlong commercial for more commercials.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Supernorn posted:

I don't think you can have this opinion when the movie was pretty much a critical and financial success.

No, actually, you can.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Supernorn posted:

I don't think you can have this opinion when the movie was pretty much a critical and financial success.

critical and financial success /= a person's opinion on a movie

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Supercar Gautier posted:

If nothing else, Avengers made approximately one metric gently caress ton of money. Regardless of your personal feelings about the cinematic merit of the film, that counts for something.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

jivjov posted:

If nothing else, Avengers made approximately one metric gently caress ton of money. Regardless of your personal feelings about the cinematic merit of the film, that counts for something.

Yeah, but so did the prequels. It's not really relevant to "will this unfuck the franchise?" because the fuckedness has never been about profit margins.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Warszawa posted:

Yeah, but so did the prequels. It's not really relevant to "will this unfuck the franchise?" because the fuckedness has never been about profit margins.

True, but I found that between the prequel trilogy and the Avengers, there's about 2.4 good movies there. My misgivings about the EU fallout non withstanding, I'm excited as hell to see what Abrams and Disney will give us.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Billy Idle posted:

This is absolute bullshit made up by people influenced by Plinkett's satirical commentary on footage from behind-the-scenes meetings.

People goofed on the behind the scenes prequel stuff long before Plinkett came around. Plinkett just did a nice job aggregating all the various observations and complaints in an entertaining fashion.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

ApexAftermath posted:

The deal kind of precludes Lucas from having any real power ever again the way I understand it. I wouldn't worry.

I'm curious if the deal actually says anything about it because he became a pretty major shareholder with the deal. I believe second to whoever owns Jobs stock now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

jivjov posted:

Candle in the Wind is the best selling single of all time. Making a metric gently caress ton of money only means that it made a lot of money.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Skwirl posted:

Candle in the Wind is the best selling single of all time. Making a metric gently caress ton of money only means that it made a lot of money.

Yeah, but it means something was done right. Even if it was "appeal to the greatest number of idiots at one time", that's still something that was accomplished.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

Yeah, but it means something was done right. Even if it was "appeal to the greatest number of idiots at one time", that's still something that was accomplished.

Uh, cool, I guess? Thanks for telling us.

EDIT: Fires are wicked hot by the way.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

sethsez posted:

Are you implying this is going to be a step down in directing quality from anything else in the series for the past three decades?

Abrams ain't exactly Malick but he's still a gigantic step up from loving Lucas, who wouldn't know interesting compositions, compelling performances or engaging action if they hit him on the head.

The last 3 movies were poo poo so with that at the helm plus jj Abram (one of my hated directors) smells like trash to me.

I don't like or appreciate Michael bay style "cinematics for the sake of having an explosion" what star wars needs is something more intellectual, not more explosions and over dramatics obviously done because too many people have the attention of a fish.

That's why I have no faith in this setup.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't like or appreciate Michael bay style "cinematics for the sake of having an explosion" what star wars needs is something more intellectual,

Have you ever seen a loving Star Wars movie? They're all about emotion over intellect.

I love this beautiful dissonance fans of science fiction have where in retrospect everything they ever liked turns into The Wire.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I think "a more intellectual Star Wars" is the path that leads us back towards trade route disputes and senatorial debates. Not that the movie should be brainless, but "intellectual" is hardly one of the bullet points on the list of What Star Wars Is.

Let's have a fun action-adventure movie instead.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Didn't we try to do 'fun action-adventure' movie with Indy Jones 4? That didn't go well.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It was mentioned last page that Disney should make a trilogy ala LOTR but I think that's easier said than done. In fact I don't know if anyone has had the success Jackson has with that model, ever. Having one long shoot with multiple crews, all sorts of contracts involved, rewrites, reshoots, it all sounds so incredibly messy I'm half convinced Jackson is a wizard.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Ineffiable posted:

Didn't we try to do 'fun action-adventure' movie with Indy Jones 4? That didn't go well.

"Fun action-adventure" describes all four of the Indy movies, good and bad. It's kind of the tone of the series.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ineffiable posted:

As opposed to the philosophical character study of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The dichotomy between intellectualism and action is a false one.

Abrams' Star Trek combines extravagant visuals and effectively tense setpieces with a consistent thematic through-line. Conversely, Whedon's The Avengers combines flippant characterization and disconcerting ideological implications with sloppy, poorly-emphasized action.

"Fun Action" and "Intelligent Concepts" are not an either-or thing.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 29, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dan Didio posted:

Uh, cool, I guess? Thanks for telling us.

EDIT: Fires are wicked hot by the way.

I'm not sure if I'm not presenting myself clearly or if you're making a jab at my point. Let me try to clarify;

Enough people liked avengers to catapult it to the position of one of the highest grossing movies ever. The key point in there is that people liked it. I know that a lot of goons around CD and other people on the Internet felt it was too much mindless action and not enough substance, but the general viewing audience loved the film.

Ultimately I feel that the primary goal of a movie is to entertain. Be it the "standard" definition of entertain (I.e. had fun) or a more cerebral definition (such as saying that a movie like Schindler's List or Passion of the Christ engaged you on some other level that wouldn't readily be described as "fun"), that's a good goal to shoot for.

I'm ready and willing to be entertained by Star Wars: Episode VII

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Didio's point was that you were stating the obvious.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Abrams' Star Trek combines extravagant visuals and effectively tense setpieces with a consistent thematic through-line. Conversely, Whedon's The Avengers combines flippant characterization and disconcerting ideological implications with sloppy, poorly-emphasized action.

I don't think they are exclusive, or even at odds, particularly. I also don't think that vague notions of 'intellectual' credibility were ever a prerequisite to Star Wars.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Also, I seem to remember hearing a lot of Star Trek fans complain that the Arbrams movie was too much like Star Wars.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The last 3 movies were poo poo so with that at the helm plus jj Abram (one of my hated directors) smells like trash to me.

I don't like or appreciate Michael bay style "cinematics for the sake of having an explosion" what star wars needs is something more intellectual, not more explosions and over dramatics obviously done because too many people have the attention of a fish.

That's why I have no faith in this setup.

This just sounds like you want Star Wars to be Star Trek. Two out of three of the original trilogy end with the Death Star exploding.

I'll take anything in Abrams filmography over the prequels. I really don't understand people who don't like Star Trek '09, it wasn't flawless but it's probably in the top 3 or 4 Star Trek movies.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

I think "a more intellectual Star Wars" is the path that leads us back towards trade route disputes and senatorial debates. Not that the movie should be brainless, but "intellectual" is hardly one of the bullet points on the list of What Star Wars Is.

Let's have a fun action-adventure movie instead.

When I say intellectual I mean like KOTOR 2. Like, breaking down the boring loving lucas version of dichotomy and explanation of why the force works instead of keeping the nebulous concepts and evolving from there.

Skwirl posted:

This just sounds like you want Star Wars to be Star Trek. Two out of three of the original trilogy end with the Death Star exploding.

I'll take anything in Abrams filmography over the prequels. I really don't understand people who don't like Star Trek '09, it wasn't flawless but it's probably in the top 3 or 4 Star Trek movies.

I don't like Star Trek '09 because it wasn't star trek. All the characters except McCoy (who was played by Karl Urban :swoon:) did a horrible, insulting job of portraying a modern version of their counterparts.

As for the rest, you're right. My favorite Star Wars is one where Lucas had the least involvement, Empire Strikes Back. Also no goddamn stupid superweapon.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 29, 2013

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Are Han Solo and Leia going to have a lavish wedding in part 7? I wonder when they're going to jump back into the series.

feedmyleg posted:

I don't mean self-contained stories with separate characters and situations in each, I just meant the rejection of the BTTF2/3, Matrix 2/3, Pirates 2/3, etc. style where the films are just one story stretched out too long without proper arcs and endings. Or maybe I'm just being overly optimistic; ESB and ROTJ were essentially the pioneers of the cliffhanger sequel, after all. Though ESB still had good emotional arcs and still felt like its own individual film.

Yea, when I think about it I like sequels to have a certain uniqueness about them compared to ones that feel like they're being produced off an assembly line.

Kelp Plankton posted:

I could use more of that holographic chess from Episode V.

Skwirl posted:

I really don't understand people who don't like Star Trek '09, it wasn't flawless but it's probably in the top 3 or 4 Star Trek movies.

I haven't been a big fan of any of the Star Trek films I've seen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zogo posted:

I could use more of that holographic chess from Episode V.

Just to :spergin: a little bit, the Dejarik table was featured in Episode IV, during the flight from Tatooine to Alderaan.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

jivjov posted:

Just to :spergin: a little bit, the Dejarik table was featured in Episode IV, during the flight from Tatooine to Alderaan.

:doh: I got my Millenium Falcon scenes confused. I don't remember but I don't believe there were many interior scenes of the Falcon in episode VI (besides the cockpit ones).

They used clay to animate those figurines right? I'm surprised they weren't updated for the rerelease into CGI.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't like Star Trek '09 because it wasn't star trek.

It was actually, it said it right in the title.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Like, breaking down the boring loving lucas version of dichotomy and explanation of why the force works instead of keeping the nebulous concepts and evolving from there.

Star Wars is space opera/space fantasy/whatever you want to call it. You don't explain things like the Force/magic/hyperdrive in detail because it shouldn't be the focus.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DFu4ever posted:

Star Wars is space opera/space fantasy/whatever you want to call it. You don't explain things like the Force/magic/hyperdrive in detail because it shouldn't be the focus.

Yea, if Episode VII had a focus on lightsaber schematics and the tedious construction of them it wouldn't be that entertaining.

There seems to be a little of that sci-fi jargon thrown into the original film and it feels out of place.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DFu4ever posted:

I think he meant why it works in a philosophical sense, hopefully as something a little more complex or thoughtful than Lucas' "the light side is good, the dark side is evil, the light side wins because good defeats evil" bedtime storybook ideas.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I think he meant why it works in a philosophical sense, hopefully as something a little more complex or thoughtful than Lucas' "the light side is good, the dark side is evil, the light side wins because good defeats evil" bedtime storybook ideas.

Yes this. The mechanics should not be explained, and Light shouldn't be portrayed as "good". It's much more interesting when people explain it like "the force is neither bad or good, good intentions still can have horrible consequences"

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

DFu4ever posted:

While that's true, one of the reasons why people loved Empire so much is because it took everything a little bit further than the original. The force was explained in greater detail, and we were given a chance to see that it was more than the ability to sense things with your eyes closed / move things of your mind. It was a transcendent thing that helped to make the Star Wars movies a little something extra. More than just a simple space adventure where you blow up a weapon literally called a Death Star and a space rabbit steps in icky icky poo, at least.

It would be a bold move that probably not many people would like because it wouldn't be like the old movies, but I seriously hope they cover the possibility that one of the greatest justifications for doing evil things is the belief that you are the good guy, and you're just fighting evil. I'd like to see how the force would play into that. Does it work for anyone who believes something hard enough or is it really somehow aligned with people who are actually right versus people who just think they are? This was toyed with in the Expanded Universe I believe, where the Emperor was just trying to make the Universe ready for a greater threat, only it wasn't done with any finesse because that doesn't make any goddamned sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

It would be a bold move that probably not many people would like because it wouldn't be like the old movies, but I seriously hope they cover the possibility that one of the greatest justifications for doing evil things is the belief that you are the good guy, and you're just fighting evil. I'd like to see how the force would play into that. Does it work for anyone who believes something hard enough or is it really somehow aligned with people who are actually right versus people who just think they are? This was toyed with in the Expanded Universe I believe, where the Emperor was just trying to make the Universe ready for a greater threat, only it wasn't done with any finesse because that doesn't make any goddamned sense.

That was spoken about in KOTOR, both games actually. Everyone thought the bad guys were the Yuuzhan Vong or whatever because of their immunity to the force, but SWTOR took it to mean something else. Maybe the emperor was planning for that but who knows because EU while interesting is a pot of a billion different ideas.

• Locked thread