Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
That is really well done, thanks for it! Whoever they've got playing the baddie is fantastic at moving around in a really unsettling way. It's sort of fluid but unnatural at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I want a MH/DH/etc type series except set in the deep south with a bunch of loving red necks and the entire series is 3 videos long, with it culminating with something banging on the inside of the wall then they just dispatch Slenderman with a shotgun.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That last entry was really meh. I was clicking around on some of the season 1 videos and it really is a completely different series at this point. I really do just want something to happen that actually seems to be pushing stuff forward rather than just staying in place. I want the craziness to keep going up, not just reaching brief peaks and settling down for episodes at a time before sometimes just going back to the same peak. Really hope they can pull it all together before the end.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Tennis Ball posted:

I want a MH/DH/etc type series except set in the deep south with a bunch of loving red necks and the entire series is 3 videos long, with it culminating with something banging on the inside of the wall then they just dispatch Slenderman with a shotgun.

Noah in Tribe Twelve tried shooting Slendy to no avail, and various people in EMH tried to stab it, beat it with a baseball bat or run it over and nothing seemed to work. Would be a laugh if it had though.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

phenom64 posted:

I thought you guys might like this. Their is a new vlog out, but this isn't a Slender Man one. It's The Rake

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhisperedFaith

It's really well done.

I watched all the episodes so far, and I just can't get past a feeling of Deja Vu. It seems like this guy wanted to combine what he felt were the strongest parts from each of the major slender vlogs, but the end result (for me, anyway) is that it feels like the same story with a different book cover. Been there, done that.

Mysterious symbol, check. TTA/The Collective/HABIT inserting videos I didn't make into my YouTube channel, check. Journal, check. Young protagonist lives in a house with no parents in sight ever, check. Etc.

This guy really needs to set his series apart from the others. Otherwise, he should just change the series' name to, "MarbleTribeHarvestHybrid." The series is still young, though. Perhaps there are some unique surprises coming down the road.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Haven't watched much of that yet, but if you've seen Dark Harvest you should know how much a series can improve. I literally thought DH was a parody at first, their Slenderman looked like the one from the Marble Cutboys joke videos where it's just a guy wearing a pair of shorts and a towel over his head. Then around the time of "My Final Betrayal" their poo poo abruptly got 100x better and now it's thoroughly enjoyable--as long as you can ignore the whole "16 year olds pretending to be 26 year olds" thing as Apple Craft said.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

phenom64 posted:

I thought you guys might like this. Their is a new vlog out, but this isn't a Slender Man one. It's The Rake

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhisperedFaith

It's really well done.

I watched this a little while back and while it's pretty good, I hope the guy who produces this gets better at recording/editing sound. It really gets to me that The Rake always sounds like he's right next to the camera (read: right in front of the microphone when the breathing is recorded in Audacity) even when he's on the other side of the room or on another floor entirely. I also wish the guy would take all the posters in his bedroom down when recording, because him clearly being a horror aficionado gets in the way of my immersion in a "this is totally the type of person who would make a horror web series :rolleyes:" way.

The wound and blood effects early on in the series are really good and The Rake doesn't look too much like just some guy in a full-body suit, though. I'd say there's definitely potential in this one if it manages to find its own identity.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

JordanKai posted:

Rake doesn't look too much like just some guy in a full-body suit

Is this a joke? Because that's all it is and looks ridiculously like a creepy dude crawling around in a suit. Maybe I didn't watch long enough, but that first appearance where he runs downstairs in the night and the rake goes into the basement or whatever, it was all I could do not to laugh.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

big mean giraffe posted:

Is this a joke? Because that's all it is and looks ridiculously like a creepy dude crawling around in a suit. Maybe I didn't watch long enough, but that first appearance where he runs downstairs in the night and the rake goes into the basement or whatever, it was all I could do not to laugh.

Maybe my standards are just really low, but whoever they put in the suit is a fairly skinny guy and he walks in a pretty creepy way so I give it a pass. :shobon:

What I will say is that the suit is incredibly reflective and that kind of gets in the way of the whole thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Even early on I'd say Dark Harvest has moments of real greatness, the episode where they film and there's like 10 people at a house for a party and they can't get in (or something) was exceptionally well done.

Thanks for recommending My Dad's Tapes, holy poo poo that is disturbing stuff.

edit: Watching Whispered Faith now. Goddamn, entry 5 is disturbing as poo poo. I don't scare easy but drat I'm glad I didn't watch that at night. :ohdear:

precision fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 27, 2013

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

big mean giraffe posted:

I had the same reaction to the rake's first appearance, but it is done much better in subsequent episodes. It's still not on par with EMH's rake, but better than that first showing.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Whispered Faith is good especially after episode 5, but the poor production quality (the sound as someone pointed out earlier) keeps me from really enjoying it.

As for MH I'm on board with the theory that skimasky is future Jay helping present Jay along the right path because if it were anyone else from the show I wouldn't be surprised.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I hate to complain, but it'd be great if J acknowledged the events of the last video on Twitter (specifically the tape). It kinda takes me out of the story for there to be radio silence for a few weeks and then hear "okay here what was on the tape", which I'm sure he/they watched immediately after leaving.

Unless of course we're no longer supposed to be treating the series as though it's taking place in real time ... in which case that's fine.

E: Even a "we watched the tape, definitely want to show you guys what's on there, will upload it as soon as I can" would be better than nothing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Farmyard Agency posted:

Whispered Faith is good especially after episode 5, but the poor production quality (the sound as someone pointed out earlier) keeps me from really enjoying it.

Sound isn't the greatest, but the editing is really good in the episode where he keeps panning up and being somewhere else completely.

The cult members looked/sounded really fakey though. Hopefully it'll get better and not get abandoned.

Turpentine Caz
Oct 21, 2009

INITIATING KAYKE-EATING SOFTWARE
On the train today I decided it would be hilarious if Hoody is sometimes fugue-state Jay (from the present time) messing with Alex, and sometimes Alex trying to mislead Jay, and both of them spend the rest of their time frantically wondering who the real Hoody is.

One day they'll both be doing it at the same time, run into each other, and then one of them will have to go home in embarrassment and change clothes.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Thanks for recommending My Dad's Tapes, holy poo poo that is disturbing stuff.

edit: Watching Whispered Faith now. Goddamn, entry 5 is disturbing as poo poo. I don't scare easy but drat I'm glad I didn't watch that at night. :ohdear:

Is "My Dad's Tapes" over? I started to watch it. It was decent until I got to about #57 when people started really "acting". I don't want to go another 30+ videos if it's still ongoing. I mean it's creepy, I'll give it that but I'm not sure I want to invest more time in it if it starts to get goofy.

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!

fullroundaction posted:

I hate to complain, but it'd be great if J acknowledged the events of the last video on Twitter (specifically the tape). It kinda takes me out of the story for there to be radio silence for a few weeks and then hear "okay here what was on the tape", which I'm sure he/they watched immediately after leaving.

Unless of course we're no longer supposed to be treating the series as though it's taking place in real time ... in which case that's fine.

E: Even a "we watched the tape, definitely want to show you guys what's on there, will upload it as soon as I can" would be better than nothing.

https://twitter.com/marblehornets/status/296004550442237952 posted:

Great. The tape I found must've been laying in that spot for a while. There's dirt in it and it's not playing at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh for gently caress's sake.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Drunk Tomato posted:

As far as the DVDs go, you should try watching Season 2 before crafting an opinion. The long entries are interspersed with TTA entries so that it never feels drawn out or boring. In fact, the tension remains very high throughout. This season has longer entries, but I have a feeling it will be very similar to the S2 DVD experience.

It really is a lot better with the DVD. I've also enjoyed watching S3 a lot more now that I've started using Youtube on the XBox instead of my PC. By linking to my phone, I can just sit back and send the episodes to the TV queue while being a lazy piece of poo poo on the couch.

S1 worked well for me when I was sitting in the engineering lab after hours, because it felt much more amateurish and "real". Now that it's sort of re-aligned toward a, well, not quite movie format but certainly different than S1, it plays a lot better on a bigger screen.

Edit: vvvvv I guess he could have just been checking that it was still there ("those dumbasses haven't found it yet"), or he may have been aware they were following and just led them to where he had stashed it previously.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

E: ^^^ Yeah that's possible.

Yay! Wait ... I thought we literally watched Hoody place the tape on the ground right in front of them. Or did I misread that scene?

2E: I hope the tape is actually ruined beyond repair and the whole thing was completely pointless. ~*realism*~ (and what I get for complaining)

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 29, 2013

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It looked like the tape had been buried in dirt at some point in the past. It was really dirty. I bet it's been sitting in the ~distortion hole~ since season one.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

J posted:

Guys I've been thinking it over, and I think that the only way to clean the tape is to solve this puzzle.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^^What puzzle?

precision posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Seriously. I know, I know, free web-series I don't pay, yada yada. Still though after three years I'd really appreciate a pay off of some sort.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It sounds like they need time to film the next entry and so they are trying to keep the story going by explaining why the content of the tape hasn't been uploaded already. I don't see the problem :confused:

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
I know this isn't their job and they probably don't have a tonne of free time, but I thought it was fairly standard that if you're running something episodic and it's already as big as marble hornets is, you'd have an episode or two in the can, ahead of what's actually been uploaded. Multiple weeks of waiting isn't just needing to film 10 minutes of footage, especially when the content itself is so sparse. It makes it seem like they're writing and location-scouting on the fly as well.
I understand the people who've been following this from the start won't care, but it's just not very exciting any more.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A shrubbery! posted:

I know this isn't their job and they probably don't have a tonne of free time, but I thought it was fairly standard that if you're running something episodic and it's already as big as marble hornets is, you'd have an episode or two in the can, ahead of what's actually been uploaded.

That's exactly what my frustration is. They're amateurs, but they've also been doing this for 3 years and it seems borderline incompetent to me to upload an entry where J finds a tape without already having the tape-entry in the chamber and ready to go.

kicktd
Jul 6, 2007

The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it.
I just find myself not getting as interested the past 3-4 entries. Like stated above I know it's not their job but the past few episodes just feels like filler material to me with nothing actually progressing in the story. I'd really like to see MH pick back up again and see some story line progression and more slendy.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I actually haven't even watched the latest entry, am I missing anything?

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

The Rokstar posted:

I haven't watched the last dozen episodes and from the talk in here I haven't missed anything.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I haven't watched any episodes at all, but I think I'm not missing anything because blah blah blah.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

The Rokstar posted:

Jay found a tape, there I saved you 10 minutes.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A shrubbery! posted:

Jay found a tape, there I saved you 10 minutes.

As much as I like this series, yeah that's pretty much it.

precision posted:

That's exactly what my frustration is. They're amateurs, but they've also been doing this for 3 years and it seems borderline incompetent to me to upload an entry where J finds a tape without already having the tape-entry in the chamber and ready to go.

This is kind of how I feel too. Before there would be an entry, then like two days later a TTA video. Now it seems like an entry with no pay off, three weeks, TTA video that's just nonsense (is any one still actually trying to decode these things?), three weeks, another entry with no pay off.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Didn't they just watch ski-masky put the tape there when they were following him in the last entry? How could the tape have been laying in that spot for a long time?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This weeks episode was kinda blah but the previous one is one of the better ones they've ever done, so I'd say at least that's worth checking out.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
General Bullshit › Marble Hornets Season 3: J found a tape. There, I saved you three years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Ahahaha.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I haven't watched any episodes at all, but I think I'm not missing anything because blah blah blah.

I think MH is popular enough to not need white knighting anymore.

Volume posted:

This is kind of how I feel too. Before there would be an entry, then like two days later a TTA video. Now it seems like an entry with no pay off, three weeks, TTA video that's just nonsense (is any one still actually trying to decode these things?), three weeks, another entry with no pay off.

I can't remember the last time Slenderman showed up in a regular entry, nor really the last time anything happened. :shrug:

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

precision posted:

edit: ^^^^ Ahahaha.

I think MH is popular enough to not need white knighting anymore.

I can't remember the last time Slenderman showed up in a regular entry, nor really the last time anything happened. :shrug:

When Jay found Tim's hospital records in the tunnel.

EDIT:

Holy poo poo. Entry 60:

Published on Jun 30, 2012

7 months since we've seen Slenderman.

Tennis Ball fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 29, 2013

KTBush
Sep 22, 2012
New DH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbnr1D31Fzc&sns=em

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

Tennis Ball posted:

When Jay found Tim's hospital records in the tunnel.

EDIT:

Holy poo poo. Entry 60:

Published on Jun 30, 2012

7 months since we've seen Slenderman.

I believe I remember hearing an interview with them, I think it was after or near the end of season 2, where they said one of the big criticisms they received was how little character any of the characters had. Like, all the characters, aside from Alex, were kinda just blank slates, and they wanted to fix this for season 3. Unfortunately shoving character building (and possibly creating character arcs?) into the final season has translated into a lot of meandering around and a slow-rear end season. If all this character stuff was showing up throughout the first two seasons, we'd have a much smoother and better third season. Instead we get a horribly paced final season. I'm still interested to see where it goes and how it ends, but I really can't deny this season has kinda jumped the shark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
MH hasn't jumped the shark yet, because jumping the shark at least implies something (however stupid) actually happening.

This is more like having several episodes where Fonzy talks about jumping the shark but never actually does.

• Locked thread