Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Isn't the Epyon supposed to be maroon?

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Pretty sure it isn't. Almost positive robot damashii Epyon uses the same color scheme as the EW model kit.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dr. Wang posted:

The Anime ones colorscheme is a bit darker then the Ver Ew I think.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Dr. Wang posted:

Purple is a royal color. :colbert: (Even though that is more pinkish)

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Yeah, I kind of painted it that color. I think it'll turn out okay once I start constructing it. And I always thought the Epyon was too dark colored to begin with. How should I go about spraying on a top coat if I decide to do that? While the model has been constructed, but separated into sections or the whole thing at once?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dr. Wang posted:

Yeah, I kind of painted it that color. I think it'll turn out okay once I start constructing it. And I always thought the Epyon was too dark colored to begin with. How should I go about spraying on a top coat if I decide to do that? While the model has been constructed, but separated into sections or the whole thing at once?

I personally do the whole thing at once after I have the model in its final pose.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Too easy to miss spots that way. I'd recommend spraying them as parts and sub-assemblies to get the most even coverage.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bimmi posted:

Too easy to miss spots that way. I'd recommend spraying them as parts and sub-assemblies to get the most even coverage.

yep, arms, legs, torso, head and weapons sprayed as separate pieces

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Any particular place online I should buy the top coat from?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Wang posted:

Any particular place online I should buy the top coat from?

Depends on the paint and what finish you want. I use future floor wax and tamiya x21

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 28, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm now finished with the last of the three HG kits I got, and surprisingly enough the oldest one (the HG Nu Gundam) was by far the sturdiest. The Exia Repair II's shoulders fall out of place as soon as you move the arms (which makes playing with the switch blade really hard), and the Unicorn Destroy Mode's elbow joints are loose and tend too split apart if I flex the arms too much. Also it could just be me, but the whole thing seems to tilt forward after a while. Meanwhile, the HG Nu (and the HG RX-78-2) are super stable and have had no issues whatsoever. I guess Bandai put more effort into them since they're such important suits?

Either way, I've ordered a HG Gundam X next (since there was no HG Turn A/X). Anyone have any words on it? ...And is there a HG Gundam DX? I could have sworn I saw a box for it while I was overseas, but dalong doesn't list it.

Also, these things are surprisingly fun to pose! Well except for the RG Zeta, which continues to be a spoil-sport by being so intricate that I don't want to touch it for fear of messing something up.
...I'm probably still going to pick up the RG Destiny when it comes out. :negative:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
No HG Gundam DX unless you count the old 1/100, which is lacking even by 1996 standards.

Speaking of that general era: would anyone here be interested in a 1/60 HG-EX Wing Zero Gundam? It is not brand new - the red tree was painted at one point, and though that paint has been removed from any surface which would be visible on the finished kit, several parts have loosened or completely separated from the sprue (all are accounted for and intact though). The rest of the trees have had their bags opened but are otherwise unmolested, and the box is in excellent condition. Asking $22.00 plus shipping.

And if you care to go back a page to that random closet photo I posted last week, pretty much ALL that poo poo has to go, so if anyone sees something they'd like please let me know.

edit: the few MGs and HGUCs visible are off the table for now, but that may change.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 30, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I'd be game for that 1/60 Wing Zero. Pics would still be appreciated though.

I'll check out your old closet pic and see if anything else tickles my gunpla bone.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bimmi posted:

No HG Gundam DX unless you count the old 1/100, which is lacking even by 1996 standards.

:negative:

quote:

And if you care to go back a page to that random closet photo I posted last week, pretty much ALL that poo poo has to go, so if anyone sees something they'd like please let me know.

What would you price these at (individually)? One of my friends thought the V/V2 Gundam looked awesome, so I've been looking around for that.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I hope to pull the whole mess out in the next few days and photograph/catalog it. After which I may have to drink heavily.

Chances are good I will sell it all to a local place that buys collections, but they probably won't give me much for it so I figured I'd try here first.

BlitzBlast posted:

What would you price these at (individually)? One of my friends thought the V/V2 Gundam looked awesome, so I've been looking around for that.

I'm thinking $12 for the V or V2, $15 for the V2 Buster (originally ¥1500 and ¥1800 respectively). Plus shipping of course.

Fauxtool posted:

where are you shipping from bimmi? Were you the one with the FMP kits too?

I'm in lovely Orange County, CA. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but if any of you live nearby you are more than welcome to come buy some of my poo poo. I loving hate the whole posting/packing/mailing process, but I really want to get all this stuff moved out by the end of the year (and no, not the one with the FMP kits)

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 30, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where are you shipping from bimmi? Were you the one with the FMP kits too?
ok, well im not too far from you.

:siren:I would like to stop by and buy TONS:siren:
Sorry everyone else, Im going to take everything good :3:

gimme an email so I can get more details and I could be there as soon as tomorrow

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 30, 2013

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
MG Epyon? What would you want for that, Bimmi? :)

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I might be interested in the GP-02 and assorted other MGs and HGs depending on what you've got.

Edit: Fauxtool you suck :smith:

Faltion fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 30, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Not selling the MGs just yet. I will certainly let everyone know if and when that changes, though.

edit: hup

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 30, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I emailed you, feel free to remove your address

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So...am I allowed to buy the Wing Zero?

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009

This looks pretty cool but it's a pretty disappointing kit. There is absolutely no way of making it stand in walker mode without a base and there is no articulation in the joints at all. However the transformation is really smooth for a transformable kit unlike the Zeta.

Oh Snapalope fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 31, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

Sorry everyone else, Im going to take everything good :3:

That works out then, because it turns out my friend doesn't like the V Gundams enough to build a model kit of them. Ah well.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Oh Snapalope posted:

This looks pretty cool but it's a pretty disappointing kit. There is absolutely no way of making it stand in walker mode without a base and there is no articulation in the joints at all. However the transformation is really smooth for a transformable kit unlike the Zeta.
The Macross kits seem to do one mode really well and leave the posing up to the dedicated toy lines really. I can't imagine any of the plastic kits I have standing up to the half-assed hamfisting my Revoltechs get when I try convert from one mode to another.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Accidentally broke the ball joints on my Epyon's heat rod when moving it :negative:

Forgot they were locked on account of being in Rod mode rather than Whip, so now epyon's rocking a six-link head rod. Anyone know a reliable place to pick up replacement links, or am I stuck for now?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
For a no-grade, Astray Gold Frame Amatsu is a goddamn amazing model. Better than quite a few MG kits.

e: Someone said they wanted a HG Full Armour Unicorn. Your wish is granted: http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/hguc-1144-full-armor-unicorn-gundam.html

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 4, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well that works out very nicely for me, because I already have the HG Destroy Mode. Now if only they would make a HG Full Armor ZZ.

Finished building the HG Gundam X, and by far its biggest flaw is the torso. Unless it was known for getting chopped in half, I don't see why the ball joint connection between the upper and lower bodies has to be so loose. Other then that it's great; my only regret is that there's no good place in my house to put it so that the moon actually shines on it. Just seeing the silhouette at night is pretty cool looking though.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 5, 2013

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Ignimbrite posted:

For a no-grade, Astray Gold Frame Amatsu is a goddamn amazing model. Better than quite a few MG kits.

e: Someone said they wanted a HG Full Armour Unicorn. Your wish is granted: http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/hguc-1144-full-armor-unicorn-gundam.html

I hope they make a Destroy Mode version of this suit. I vastly prefer the green psychoframe to the red.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Snapped together the Bandai 1/20 Scopedog Red Shoulder Custom, and man do I love this mold. Master Grade quality in a VOTOMS kit. Admittedly, I stressed the chest plate by not assembling it correctly the first time, so I've got a bit of an unseemly stress mark and the cockpit door doesn't sit quite flush, but ehh, what can you do. Still looks fine. Of course, this is my second time with this particular mold, with my first being the Metal Spec version with the nice metal plates, barrels, and bolts. As nice as those bits were, the additional weapons and equipment are even nicer on this kit.

I figure if I ever want to actually get to it and paint one of these guys, I'll just mix and match the best parts. Until then they'll look fine unpainted on my shelf.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

A kind of disappointing trend I've been noticing is the decreasing amount of under-armor mechanical detail on MGs. That used to be their main selling point!

AGE-1 for example is a big, roomy suit but has essentially zero detail underneath; compare to the older, tiny F91. Even the very first MGs have more inner detail than AGE-1!

UC stuff seems like the only consistent exception, everything else is a crapshoot nowadays. I wonder why that is; do they assign UC stuff to an A team and everything else gets the B team? Does UC stuff sell better so they can justify the expense/work of adding more detail? Is there just one dude who does mechanical detail who works himself to death on one model and goes on vacation afterwards?

Mostly mad cause the Tallgeese's inner frame is so hilariously phoned in :saddowns: The gulf between 'good' MGs and 'bad' MGs seems to be widening.

Xy Hapu fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 7, 2013

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is this legitimate? This kit seems to be sold out pretty much everywhere else, and the odd pic isn't exactly helping my perception that this might be a bootleg.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

WickedIcon posted:

Is this legitimate? This kit seems to be sold out pretty much everywhere else, and the odd pic isn't exactly helping my perception that this might be a bootleg.

It doesn't look legit. At first I thought it might have been an American release of the original 1/144 Alex kit, but even the American releases used the original box art in addition to the extra "Skill Level" and other localized tacked-on graphics.

Are you looking for the original Alex kit, by the way? That kit is old enough to buy you liquor. There is an HGUC kit out there, and if you're looking on Amazon, this is probably what you're looking for. Pretty much all of the original 1/144 HG 0080 kits have been redone in HGUC format. And if you don't mind importing directly from Japan, HLJ has them in stock as well. They even have The original kit as well.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 11, 2013

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

It doesn't look legit. At first I thought it might have been an American release of the original 1/144 Alex kit, but even the American releases used the original box art in addition to the extra "Skill Level" and other localized tacked-on graphics.

Okay, thanks! I kinda got suspicious but I'm new to the hobby (this'll be my first Gunpla kit, actually) so I wasn't sure.

quote:

Are you looking for the original Alex kit, by the way? That kit is old enough to buy you liquor. There is an HGUC kit out there, and if you're looking on Amazon, this is probably what you're looking for. Pretty much all of the original 1/144 HG 0080 kits have been redone in HGUC format. And if you don't mind importing directly from Japan, HLJ has them in stock as well. They even have The original kit as well.

I was looking for whatever the best version of it was. I was gonna get the Alex as my first Gunpla because 0080 is probably my single favorite Gundam series of any stripe and it looked reasonably cheap, and I was going to get the HGUC for the latter reason and because the OP said that line was good to start with.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I would probably go for the MG Alex then. Early Master Grades are not complex to build, but if you lack the shelf space for something 18cm tall, go for the high grade.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just so happen to have an unbuilt MG nt-1 given to me by a goon from these very forums. If I can find it, you can have it. Its very low on my list of models to build next.
MG is a fine start for any adult with a functioning brain.

Anyone interested in doing some trading? I have a huge backlog of models I might as well start moving around seeing how they wont be built any time soon.
150-200 items for trade. I have a lot of doubles so almost everything is available
http://myfigurecollection.net/collection/Fauxtool/&status=2&root=0

How are the GP01 and Zeta PGs? I think I found a good deal on them
Seeing how the last PG was 2 years ago, anyone have theories on what is next? I can only guess it will be a PG unicorn. What a bitch to build that will be.
I hope they dont troll us with a PG destiny or Musha.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 11, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I wanted that NT-1! You beat me to it by mere minutes! :argh:

Oh well, shipping things to Canada is a bitch for you guys anyway.

Edit: In other news, I just bought a MG Full Armor Unicorn for 95 bucks shipped. Will be my first Unicorn build.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 11, 2013

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

Edit: In other news, I just bought a MG Full Armor Unicorn for 95 bucks shipped. Will be my first Unicorn build.

I almost bought this for that silly base jabber it comes with. I was also looking at the HD Unicorn for the MS cage. God only knows why Bandai won't sell display/accessory stuff like that singly, I feel like that'd be pretty lucrative.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

Unicorn's a good kit, I'm painting it now and it's a good build. Painting the pyschoframe green, because I really think it looks better that way.

You are buying a statue though, there is no way that you can put that thing in any dynamic pose whatsoever.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

Unicorn's a good kit, I'm painting it now and it's a good build. Painting the pyschoframe green, because I really think it looks better that way.

You are buying a statue though, there is no way that you can put that thing in any dynamic pose whatsoever.

Oh I know. I'm half-minded to superglue a lot of the kit just so I don't have to worry about things randomly falling off. I've got to imagine the arm joints must have a lot of weight trying to pull them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

I just so happen to have an unbuilt MG nt-1 given to me by a goon from these very forums. If I can find it, you can have it. Its very low on my list of models to build next.
MG is a fine start for any adult with a functioning brain.

That would be awesome if you could hook me up with that!

• Locked thread