Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
What memorable mid-card characters were there during that time? I wouldn't consider the Radicalz to be mid-carders as they were regularly featured in main events when they debuted. You could make a case for Malenko and Saturn I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

budreck posted:

What memorable mid-card characters were there during that time? I wouldn't consider the Radicalz to be mid-carders as they were regularly featured in main events when they debuted. You could make a case for Malenko and Saturn I guess.

Edge + Christian, Dudleyz, and Hardyz. Also Kurt Angle going from midcard to main eventer.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Timby posted:

Man, Cole in that November 1998 - WrestleMania XV period was so bad. He got a little better when JR was able to return to work (I think in January) and started feeding him lines from backstage, but the commentary at Rock Bottom is so astonishingly terrible.

I guess you can at least say that JR coming back to call Austin's match (and you could tell his voice was starting to go at the end) made it that much more special.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Other than Tony on WCW the worst thing about Foleys title win is that JR was not the one announcing it. It was a great moment but would have been better with him.

I actually thought Cole did a good job with that. He's no JR, but he did a good job selling the emotion.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Gonzo McFee posted:

The strange this is that Russo was consistently dreadful for his whole career. He started doing a dirtsheet/ Radio show that was sub lords of pain, he ended up working for WWE magazine which under his reign was terrible, He ended up becoming the booker for Raw and while we look back fondly on those years everything that didn't involve a main event star was fairly terrible but fit into their new theme of a show and then he went to WCW and was dreadful there to a new level because for the first time he was given a free reign and wasn't being filtered. Then he decided that he was a Christian now and he was forgiven, writing two terrible autobiographies in which he blamed everyone else for everything he did and pretended to be holier than though while still writing horrible, racist, sexist poo poo for TNA and his two show promotion Ring of Glory.

In a way it's sort of admirable. He's made an entire career out of being an obnoxious, over confident, delusional fuckwit of no discernible talent.

That actually reminds me of something. I've heard more than once that Russo got started in the business because he ran a local radio show about wrestling in New York in the early 90's and he had a co-host whose name I can't remember. This was during the steroid trials, and supposedly this co-host railed on Vince and the McMahons so hard and so viciously every week that Vince supposedly hired Russo to shut the co-host up and make it a WWE-focused show, and when the show ended Russo got a job with WWE Magazine and it went from there. I've always wondered what would be SO bad that Vince would supposedly bribe someone into shutting up: Wikipedia just says Russo ran a wrestling show and got his job at WWE Magazine by writing Linda McMahon a letter, which could be anything from an undertold truth to a complete lie.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
That was John Arezzi and it was steroid/sex scandal stuff.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

jeffersonlives posted:

That was John Arezzi and it was steroid/sex scandal stuff.

A slight follow up: was he just presenting the facts/rumors or was he viciously editorializing in the vein of 'These people are SCUM. They deserve to be in JAIL'?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Cornwind Evil posted:

A slight follow up: was he just presenting the facts/rumors or was he viciously editorializing in the vein of 'These people are SCUM. They deserve to be in JAIL'?

Those facts and rumors did not need to be viciously editorialized quite so much.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Yeah the sex scandal happened and is a million times worse than WWE's drug culture and labor practices.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

what is this sex scandal? I vaguely remember hearing stuff about a scandal in the past but I don't think I ever read exactly what went on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TL posted:

I actually thought Cole did a good job with that. He's no JR, but he did a good job selling the emotion.

He may of done a good job but it would have just been better with JR.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

sportsgenius86 posted:

what is this sex scandal? I vaguely remember hearing stuff about a scandal in the past but I don't think I ever read exactly what went on.

At first I thought this might be about Mike McGuirk, but Wikipedia says she left pretty quietly just because she didn't want to move.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Red posted:

At first I thought this might be about Mike McGuirk, but Wikipedia says she left pretty quietly just because she didn't want to move.

Is that that female referee that said Vince was sexually harassing her?

Are those two separate stories? I could swear I remember hearing something about a female referee or something bringing a sexual harassment case against Vince.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LightsGameraAction posted:

Is that that female referee that said Vince was sexually harassing her?

Are those two separate stories? I could swear I remember hearing something about a female referee or something bringing a sexual harassment case against Vince.

McGuirk was a ring announcer, I think, but I'm not old enough to remember if she ever reffed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

VogeGandire posted:

To be fair, unless you have seen a GOOD spear (Goldberg or Rhino), Edge's is impressive.
If you've never seen a rugby game, a football game, a wrestling match, or a MMA fight, Edge's spear is impressive.

Memento1979 posted:

Is the modified arm-drag slam that Bo Dallas uses his finisher? It's cool as hell; I love a good arm-drag.
Can you link to a YouTube of this?

Diabolik900 posted:

It doesn't seem like there are many real tragedies in here. Most of the guys seemed to have pretty average WWF/WCW careers, and a handful died young. I'm betting you could get similar results from analyzing other numbers.
I went through this list picking out all the guys who haven't suffered tragedy and was thinking the list was invalid, before I realized that I was upholding "Alive, sober, and employed or comfortably retired" as am amazing standard for former wrestlers.

Anyway, Backlund should give motivational speeches at DDP's house.

Thauros posted:

Don't forget that odd short stint that JR had as Dr. Death's heel manager during that same period as well.
I loved that. From my perspective it was "The WWE is being invaded by an actual wrestler, which has everyone making GBS threads their pants."

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gatts posted:

That would be kind of funny. The Rock in his prime wins his title and has to go on QVC to sell things as part of a promotion.

"I guess I'll need some cocaine for this!"

And we get the Rock hustling to move product cutting promos on grills, computers, the models and people full on.
Actually this pretty much happened. I recall The Rock on Home Shopping Network or QVC directly after Survivor Series 1998, cutting promos as the new champion and hawking some T-shirt designs. Wish I could find video of this. During this time period, they did several post-PPV specials on the shopping channel. I recall Debra hosting one of them and botching some lines pretty badly.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Terry Garvin and Mel Phillips were allegedly grooming and molesting ring boys with troubled backgrounds. Garvin, Phillips, and Pat Patterson were also allegedly pimping out wrestlers for pushes.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Edge's spear was 90 percent Long Hair Whipping Action.

It's the same reason that any running back in the NFL that has dreads 'is a violent runner'. It's the drat hair, he hits like a feather.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Terry Garvin and Mel Phillips were allegedly grooming and molesting ring boys with troubled backgrounds. Garvin, Phillips, and Pat Patterson were also allegedly pimping out wrestlers for pushes.

Jesus Christ

and I assume this happened there's just no proof of it to actually do anything about it

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Jesus Christ

and I assume this happened there's just no proof of it to actually do anything about it

The evidence against Garvin and Phillips was a lot stronger than that against Patterson, which is why you've never heard of the former two again. But yeah, it was well covered up.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And I'm guessing this was where Gorilla Monsoon's "This guy studied at the Terry Garvin school of self defense" joke came from.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

And I'm guessing this was where Gorilla Monsoon's "This guy studied at the Terry Garvin school of self defense" joke came from.

Not only that but those references were usually made about Garvin (and Patterson's) alleged paramours.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
They continued to make thinly veiled jokes about Pat Patterson during his run as a stooge. I remember JR mentioning Patterson helping out with the rear end work at the Brisco Bros. Body Shop.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So the legendarily nicest guy in wrestling was making on-air jokes about gay rape. Hilarious.

Maybe he meant the Ron Garvin school of self-defense? Only good for stomping a guy when he's already down.

Jayou
Mar 14, 2007

Sparkly Vampires are Wrestlicious!

The Rock doesn't get a T-shirt?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gAwQYPw5UVU

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

TL posted:

They continued to make thinly veiled jokes about Pat Patterson during his run as a stooge. I remember JR mentioning Patterson helping out with the rear end work at the Brisco Bros. Body Shop.

Well they were always making thinly veiled jokes about his homosexuality. Especially during his run as Vince's rear end-kisser.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Hahaha awesome. And I found that post-Survivor Series one in the related videos! Rock shows up after the (drunk) New Age Outlaws interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1IivfJxpoY

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Question about TNA / Claire Lynch:

How did Daniels get AJ into the position where he was passed out in bed with Claire, for those photos to be taken? Drugged his drink or something? Or did they say the photos were photoshopped?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

triplexpac posted:

Question about TNA / Claire Lynch:

How did Daniels get AJ into the position where he was passed out in bed with Claire, for those photos to be taken? Drugged his drink or something? Or did they say the photos were photoshopped?

I don't think they ever said for certain how it really went down, Claire just said that they had some drinks and then sexy photos happened.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Either they said it was a roofie or implied it heavily enough that I accepted 'drugging' as an 'explanation' (insofar as you'd want to think about the logistics of that). As a rule, the less you think about the Claire Lynch storyline the better.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Does anyone know who comes up with the finishes in WWE these days? I know pre-Attitude it was mostly Pat Patterson, and Vince and his small team (Fink, Cornette, etc). I've always heard Russo in shoot interviews claim that he had absolutely nothing to do with the finishes or in-ring things, so I assume at the time it was still Patterson and Vince doing finishes, but does anyone know who does it now? Does the team of writers come up with the match, and also the finish? Or do they just come up with the match, and the agents handle the finish? Is it still 100% up to Vince? Of all the interviews I've seen with ex-writers, I don't think I've ever seen that touched on. Basically I just wanna know whose idea it is to have champions lose all the goddamn time in the modern era.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 30, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Well ok, "coming up with finishes" and "booking guys to lose" is two different things.

Like, Russo would create storylines that depended on guys he chose winning & losing, but he wouldn't say "this wrestler goes over with this sequence of moves", that kind of stuff was left to Patterson.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
For a while it was Johnny Ace.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cromulent posted:

Does anyone know who comes up with the finishes in WWE these days? I know pre-Attitude it was mostly Pat Patterson, and Vince and his small team (Fink, Cornette, etc). I've always heard Russo in shoot interviews claim that he had absolutely nothing to do with the finishes or in-ring things, so I assume at the time it was still Patterson and Vince doing finishes, but does anyone know who does it now? Does the team of writers come up with the match, and also the finish? Or do they just come up with the match, and the agents handle the finish? Is it still 100% up to Vince? Of all the interviews I've seen with ex-writers, I don't think I've ever seen that touched on. Basically I just wanna know whose idea it is to have champions lose all the goddamn time in the modern era.

Russo not being involved is kinda true, but not quite the way he explained it: According to Road Dogg, Russo would go over what he wanted as a finish, a lot of the time, not realizing that what he asked was either stupid, counter-productive, or unrealistic by wrestling standards. So they'd ignore his finish, Russo would cry foul, and Vince McMahon would ask the wrestlers what was up, if they were going into business for themselves, and the wrestlers would explain why the finish changed. It came up frequently enough that eventually, McMahon asked Vince to focus on the storylines and dialogue, and that the road agents that you mentioned would handle the rest.

Also interesting thing about Ace: Before the Sid debacle, which he received all the blame for, he was considered a very creative finish guy who was great at getting over what people wanted to accomplish while avoiding ego clashes.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Minidust posted:

Hahaha awesome. And I found that post-Survivor Series one in the related videos! Rock shows up after the (drunk) New Age Outlaws interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1IivfJxpoY

Somebody tweet this to Road Dogg, I want this on Are You Serious.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

RBX posted:

Somebody tweet this to Road Dogg, I want this on Are You Serious.

Too soon, man, too soon :smith:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Halloween Jack posted:

If you've never seen a rugby game, a football game, a wrestling match, or a MMA fight, Edge's spear is impressive.

Is a Spear Tackle in football the same as a wrestling Spear move? In Rugby, a Spear is lifting someone off their feet, and driving them head-first into the ground. It's kind of like a Flapjack, except you drive them downwards instead of falling backwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3X-o3Mo7Tw

In Rugby, Edge's spear is a fairly standard mid-rift tackle, but with Edge's opponents actually selling it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, a rugby spear tackle is closer to a spinebuster.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Halloween Jack posted:

Can you link to a YouTube of this?

He uses it the very start of this video to win the match; it could probably be crisper, and his opponents need to know it's a proper finisher and not a bridging move, but I don't mind it at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG12iZPH8oc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Tyma posted:

Is a Spear Tackle in football the same as a wrestling Spear move? In Rugby, a Spear is lifting someone off their feet, and driving them head-first into the ground. It's kind of like a Flapjack, except you drive them downwards instead of falling backwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3X-o3Mo7Tw

In Rugby, Edge's spear is a fairly standard mid-rift tackle, but with Edge's opponents actually selling it.

I'm on my phone so I can't link it, but JadeveonClowney.avi is about as close as you'll get in football.

e - now with video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENuZHnQlqX0

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 31, 2013