Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jpg
Feb 21, 2004

zenintrude posted:

My SD2SNES arrived today, but I think it's DOA.

It doesn't output video with a SD card (and firmware) inserted. It doesn't output video without a SC card inserted.

With a SD card inserted, all the LEDs light up initially, but then the red and yellow lights quickly go out leaving the green light on. Without a SD card inserted, all the LEDs light up and stay on.

Tried it with multiple SD cards and multiple AV/S-video cords, to no avail... nothing displays on the TV regardless of the setup. Tested other carts and they work fine.

I emailed the address associated with my Paypal receipt (biokrik@gmail.com) does anyone know if KRIKzz answers that?

Although it's a long shot, I'd try it on a different console and TV if you have any available, also are you using a official AC adapter? It probably is just a duff cart though, but doesn't hurt to check.

As for Krikzz checking the email, I assume he does but if not you can post on Assembler forums or Everdrive forums, both of which he replies to problems on rather frequently, usually with a "send card to me, and I'll check it" response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

jpg posted:

Although it's a long shot, I'd try it on a different console and TV if you have any available, also are you using a official AC adapter? It probably is just a duff cart though, but doesn't hurt to check.

As for Krikzz checking the email, I assume he does but if not you can post on Assembler forums or Everdrive forums, both of which he replies to problems on rather frequently, usually with a "send card to me, and I'll check it" response.

Using a real SNES with the official AC adapter... tested it out on other TVs (unfortunately don't have multiple SNESs) and same result: black screen with nothing happening.

I went ahead and PMed him on those forums, hopefully this can get resolved painlessly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Djarum posted:

Well I already own a TG16 so I figured it would be simpler just to buy the CD. US TurboDuos were insanely expensive last I looked.

TurboDuos go for a lot more since fewer were produced and they also tend to not break. Honestly the whole way the plain TG16 CD system works is so goofy, a portable-ish CD player that slots into a piece of hardware that itself has the TurboGrafx main system slotted into it... it's no wonder they break there's so many potential points of failure in just setting it up.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Got my Everdrive 64. Convenient for the size if nothing else. Krikzz has great handwriting. Does anyone know of a way to copy save files from n64 games to computers?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

kirbysuperstar posted:

Man I don't even know if my 32X works at all. I've had it for years, but have no games for it. It's actually been modded to have some sort of RF connector coming out of it.

I probably should grab a cheap copy of Doom or Metal Head or something and try it some day.

If your 32X can play genesis games then you know that it works. However if the games don't connect try shoving a genesis game genie in there to reallign things and then see if it reads games.

Also if you have a 32X you owe yourself to play Kolibri, it's one of the nicest looking games ever. The reason why it couldn't be put on the genesis was that the sprites/backgrounds were more elaborate. It was made by the same people who made Ecco.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

take_it_slow posted:

Got my Everdrive 64. Convenient for the size if nothing else. Krikzz has great handwriting. Does anyone know of a way to copy save files from n64 games to computers?

Do you have a Gameshark Pro v3.3 or higher and a computer with a parallel port? If you do, that and http://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_n64.html#using_gs_pc_connect will allow you to dump ROMs from your own physical cartridges as well as extract saves from most games that saved to cartridge.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

take_it_slow posted:

You will need a z64 or v64 to dump SRAM/flash from a n64 cart unless you're willing to build something with a burner + edge connector

Edit: wow, didn't know they implemented that it game shark... That's impressive.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flyboi posted:

You will need a z64 or v64 to dump SRAM/flash from a n64 cart unless you're willing to build something with a burner + edge connector

Edit: wow, didn't know they implemented that it game shark... That's impressive.

The official Gameshark software didn't do it, but the user made software does. It makes sense though, the device is able to read everything that passes between the cartridge and the N64 and it has that lovely parallel port on the back that lets you dump the data out to a computer. Also the user software lets you capture from the N64 video RAM for screenshots at any time:

To this day my N64 ROM collection is entirely games that I dumped off actual cartridges with my Gameshark back in like 2001 or so. :getin:

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

If your 32X can play genesis games then you know that it works. However if the games don't connect try shoving a genesis game genie in there to reallign things and then see if it reads games.

Also if you have a 32X you owe yourself to play Kolibri, it's one of the nicest looking games ever. The reason why it couldn't be put on the genesis was that the sprites/backgrounds were more elaborate. It was made by the same people who made Ecco.

Thing is, my 32X (asked about it many a page ago) will play Genesis games fine but fail to boot 32X games. I tested with Knuckles Chaotix and Virtua Fighter and neither get past the initial Sega Enterprises screen. This was with a model 2 genny, I'm waiting on the cable to use it with the model 1 from retro_console_accessories on eBay to see if it's a problem with the Genesis. (and because I can't pass up on the chance to have a model 1 Gen, model 1 CD and 32X all in one ridiculous rig)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Wotalt posted:

Thing is, my 32X (asked about it many a page ago) will play Genesis games fine but fail to boot 32X games. I tested with Knuckles Chaotix and Virtua Fighter and neither get past the initial Sega Enterprises screen. This was with a model 2 genny, I'm waiting on the cable to use it with the model 1 from retro_console_accessories on eBay to see if it's a problem with the Genesis. (and because I can't pass up on the chance to have a model 1 Gen, model 1 CD and 32X all in one ridiculous rig)

I had a similar issue when I was cleaning up my 32X, honestly what fixed my issue was putting a game genie into the 32X which realligned the pins. I also gave everything a good cleaning with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol for the games and the console slot.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

It's a chip near the video outputs on the board

That chip with the MB is the decoder, it's not always in that exact location but very close.

I still don't know which is the one to get? Halp

Silhouette posted:

I'm quoting this for posterity, so that I can tell my future grandchildren of the Day We Broke Hamburglar.

:lol: no I just don't care about the Genesis as much :shepface:
especially when there's a superior model that also aesthetically looks superior as well
Come on, a drat volume slider on the console itself? How do you say no to that?

Djarum posted:

How hard is it to find a working a TurboCD these days? I need to get some Composite out on my TG16 and I don't want to just buy a power base.

The guy who did my NES RGB mods (Drakon) had told me a while ago he knows the perfect, permanent fix for the PCE-CD. No idea if it works for the US one, though.

zenintrude posted:

My SD2SNES arrived today, but I think it's DOA.

It doesn't output video with a SD card (and firmware) inserted. It doesn't output video without a SC card inserted.

With a SD card inserted, all the LEDs light up initially, but then the red and yellow lights quickly go out leaving the green light on. Without a SD card inserted, all the LEDs light up and stay on.

Tried it with multiple SD cards and multiple AV/S-video cords, to no avail... nothing displays on the TV regardless of the setup. Tested other carts and they work fine.

I emailed the address associated with my Paypal receipt (biokrik@gmail.com) does anyone know if KRIKzz answers that?

I noticed my SD2SNES is very finicky. Did you seat it in a cart yet? Believe it or not, that did it for me. Trust me; Krizz personally tests these things out and probably gets all 96 stages in Super Mario World before sending these things out.

Install Gentoo posted:

For what it's worth it should sell in about a day if you put it up on eBay for that price... I should know, I just sold almost the exact same set on eBay for almost the same price and it took like a day from listing to bought.

So if you need the cash fast it'll do well.

I didn't even know it was kosher to sell that stuff on eBay. The RetroAccess girl was on here saying she couldn't even sell RGB modded systems or something. Thanks man!

Midnight Raider posted:

Wait, so you have to plug the sound into the headphone jack to get stereo sound from a model one Genesis? Why is this the first I've heard of this. :psyduck:

Yeah it's so ugly looking when you need to get audio for your 32X. This is another reason to RCA mod it, though! :science:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

In other news I am selling my PowerPak with 2GB CF card (the one RetroUSB sells with it for an extra $17...I think this is the rare instance where make/model of card matters) for $100 shipped if anyone here is interested. It goes for $152+ shipping on RetroUSB so it's a :siren: DEAL OF THE CENTURY :siren: .

Seriously though I'm broke please buy it from me

I don't post here much at all, but would you be willing to ship to Canada? I'm willing to pay added cost.

Don't have PMs so if you would like to work something out, email away. jordandalyfrey at googlemail

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I didn't even know it was kosher to sell that stuff on eBay. The RetroAccess girl was on here saying she couldn't even sell RGB modded systems or something. Thanks man!

They're only not kosher if you're selling them with the ROMs on them pretty much. Or explicitly talking up their ability to play commercial games.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

ohnoitschris posted:

it just seems like nobody in my city must have bought a TG16. Even the retro shops have a pretty slim collection for sale.

It's the same here. The only TG16 I've ever even seen was the display model at RadioShack, and they must not have sold too many. As far as I know none of our retro shops have got any TG stuff at all.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

:lol: no I just don't care about the Genesis as much :shepface:
especially when there's a superior model that also aesthetically looks superior as well
Come on, a drat volume slider on the console itself? How do you say no to that?

:smugdog:

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

In other news I am selling my PowerPak with 2GB CF card (the one RetroUSB sells with it for an extra $17...I think this is the rare instance where make/model of card matters) for $100 shipped if anyone here is interested. It goes for $152+ shipping on RetroUSB so it's a :siren: DEAL OF THE CENTURY :siren: .

I'll take it if Jordan7hm changes his mind.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I just discovered Michael Jordan:Chaos in the Windy City. Think Shaq Fu but if it was an actual functional platformer instead. The gameplay isn't terrible but the entire story is Shaq-Fu just with Jordan and he uses Metroid Style powerups. This game predates Space Jam by two years, yet somehow is even more screwy than that. :catstare:

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007
So uh, next time I make a limited edition I'm keeping a bunch for myself. Road Warriors 2600.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I just discovered Michael Jordan:Chaos in the Windy City. Think Shaq Fu but if it was an actual functional platformer instead. The gameplay isn't terrible but the entire story is Shaq-Fu just with Jordan and he uses Metroid Style powerups. This game predates Space Jam by two years, yet somehow is even more screwy than that. :catstare:

I played Shaq-Fu when it came out, and have never been the same ever since.
Part of me wants to own a mint condition copy. I think someone in the last thread had every version known to man. I laughed for a good five minutes. This is what collecting is about!

(Might check Micheal Jordan's game out).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

the_lion posted:

(Might check Micheal Jordan's game out).

You should, infact everyone should:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JOb9t5Dj5c

Where else in a game do you do a rimbreaking dunk everytime you reach a checkpoint in a level that looks like it was designed by Spumco who hired Robert Crumb to do it? None.

The game is usualy way under 10 bucks, you can probably find it 3-6 bucks.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 30, 2013

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I envy all of you with model 1 Sega CDs.

I wanted to make an office building from the future, so I have the High Definition Graphics Genesis 1, The power base converter, but for the life of me I can't find a model 1 Sega CD that's not too expensive for what it is. I've been told it's more common than the model 2, but I've seen, like, ten of those already,

I just want my genesis to be so tall it blocks the TV screen.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't post here much at all, but would you be willing to ship to Canada? I'm willing to pay added cost.

Don't have PMs so if you would like to work something out, email away. jordandalyfrey at googlemail

Ah sorry man; someone here PMed me before this about it. Thanks anyway though.

JJJJJS posted:

So uh, next time I make a limited edition I'm keeping a bunch for myself. Road Warriors 2600.

Out of genuine curiosity, does something like this enrage you?

And yeah for the hardcore OCD collectors, you probably could make a killing making unique games and selling them as ONE OF A KIND.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I envy all of you with model 1 Sega CDs.

I wanted to make an office building from the future, so I have the High Definition Graphics Genesis 1, The power base converter, but for the life of me I can't find a model 1 Sega CD that's not too expensive for what it is. I've been told it's more common than the model 2, but I've seen, like, ten of those already,

I just want my genesis to be so tall it blocks the TV screen.

I was under the impression the model 1 is way more rare. I see the model 2 out in the wild all the time. The few of my friends who had Sega CD all had the model 2. Maybe it's just me though?

And you aren't kidding. My tower of Sega required me to pull my furniture forward so the system wouldn't hit the shelf above it.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Out of genuine curiosity, does something like this enrage you?

And yeah for the hardcore OCD collectors, you probably could make a killing making unique games and selling them as ONE OF A KIND.
I did make one with a different colored background and extra songs on the bonus cd and put it up for auction. I've been toying with the idea of making a different version and selling it as the apocalypse edition or something like that as well. It's kind of a pain to put together atari carts though, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

The only part that annoys me is that the buyer asked for the signatures with the apparent intention of selling it. The other ones that have sold on ebay weren't signed and didn't bug me. A few of the genesis Snow Bros. repros we did for the cowlitz show exclusive ended up on ebay as well. I figure once they've bought it they can do what they want with it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

JJJJJS posted:

The only part that annoys me is that the buyer asked for the signatures

Since you are a celebrity now you gotta use the oldest trick in the book to curtail this: ask the person who to sign it to. If they are going to sell it, they will say "no one". If they are going to keep it, they'll gladly tell you the name to make it out to.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Work is coming along on my wireless SNES controller. :D All I need to finish it is a couple of parts that haven't come in the mail yet.

I know there were a few people who were interested in these, but I'm afraid they wouldn't be cheap. The parts all together are about $50, and with how much of a pain in the rear end and time consuming some of the work is, I'd probably have to charge about $100 for a set (controller, receiver, and USB charger). It's just too much difficult work to do it for the cost of parts and shipping. The big one is the charging unit, the chip you need to solder to is loving tiny.

Also Miyamoto, do you still want me to try and write up some instructions for you?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I know there were a few people who were interested in these, but I'm afraid they wouldn't be cheap.

It wouldn't be the :retrogames: thread if it were cheap.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Work is coming along on my wireless SNES controller. :D All I need to finish it is a couple of parts that haven't come in the mail yet.

I know there were a few people who were interested in these, but I'm afraid they wouldn't be cheap. The parts all together are about $50, and with how much of a pain in the rear end and time consuming some of the work is, I'd probably have to charge about $100 for a set (controller, receiver, and USB charger). It's just too much difficult work to do it for the cost of parts and shipping. The big one is the charging unit, the chip you need to solder to is loving tiny.

Also Miyamoto, do you still want me to try and write up some instructions for you?

Very kind of you but don't go nuts until you see how well it does or does not work :)

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Can't believe I hadn't stumbled upon this thread until now. Epic OP, and it's going to take me weeks to start from the beginning and catch up. Several years back I amassed a collection of about 600 NES/SNES/N64/Genesis/GB games over time, built custom shelves to display them, and haven't done any collecting then. This makes me want to go out and blow a bunch of money again, if I could.

The only thing I'll ask up front at the risk of it having been answered before is - is there a holy bible out there for the inner workings of NES/SNES carts and consoles? My undergrad was in engineering and I have a knack for technical stuff, but I've always felt overwhelmed by how much technical knowledge even those who refurbish consoles have, let alone those who mod them. It'd be a fun hobby to at least try and learn how to rebuild a console from the ground up, or to learn how exactly the ROMs themselves work.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Fryhtaning posted:

The only thing I'll ask up front at the risk of it having been answered before is - is there a holy bible out there for the inner workings of NES/SNES carts and consoles? My undergrad was in engineering and I have a knack for technical stuff, but I've always felt overwhelmed by how much technical knowledge even those who refurbish consoles have, let alone those who mod them. It'd be a fun hobby to at least try and learn how to rebuild a console from the ground up, or to learn how exactly the ROMs themselves work.

I haven't seen anyone post a link to a "bible" so to speak (there was a wiki that was supposed to work toward this, but as with all goon projects... :effort:) but there is a lot of technical knowledge in this thread, both on the system and ROM side of things. People tend to have specific interests, i.e. perfecting video and/or audio from SNESs, but lots of new and exciting work is being done and posted about in here all the time.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Fryhtaning posted:

Can't believe I hadn't stumbled upon this thread until now. Epic OP, and it's going to take me weeks to start from the beginning and catch up. Several years back I amassed a collection of about 600 NES/SNES/N64/Genesis/GB games over time, built custom shelves to display them, and haven't done any collecting then. This makes me want to go out and blow a bunch of money again, if I could.

You'll definitely get some advice from the all-star SNES/NES tinkerers in this thread.

Stoomie
Sep 16, 2008
Maybe you guys can help me make out what games are in this low resolution pic!

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Thought I'd post my setup. Thanks, retro thread for introducing me to :retrogames:

UGC shelf

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Stoomie posted:

Triple Play 2000-(No Clue)-Madden (2000?)
Mario Kart 64-Donkey Kong 64-Star Fox 64?
NFL Quarterback Club(98?)-Banjo Kazooie- Banjo Tooie
Super Mario 64-1080 Snowboarding-Pokemon Stadium
NBA Live (99?)-NHL 99-Pokemon Stadium (2?)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Stoomie posted:

From top left to bottom right:

Triple Play 2000, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, Madden 2000
Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong 64, Star Fox 64
NFL Quarterback Club 99, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie
Super Mario 64, 1080 Snowboarding, Pokemon Stadium 2
NBA Live 99, NHL 99, and Pokemon Stadium 1

Sorta beaten by one minute, but I cross checked all the sports titles, and my list is 100% correct. :smug:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Stoomie posted:

Left column (top-down): ???, Mario Kart 64, NFL Quarterback Club 2000, ???, NBA Live
Center column: Star Wars Racer, Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Kazooie, 1080 Snowboarding, NHL '9X
Right column: Madden '9X, Star Fox 64, Banjo Tooie, Pokemon Stadium 2, Pokemon Stadium

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Bottom Right: opened copy of Glover.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Star Wars Ep1 Racer owns because you can enter a code that lets you control each engine of your podracer with the analog stick of 2 N64 controllers for an authentic podracing experience.

Stoomie
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks guys... I guess that confirms the lot looks worth $60, now lets see if I can work out the money for it!

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Star Wars Ep1 Racer owns because you can enter a code that lets you control each engine of your podracer with the analog stick of 2 N64 controllers for an authentic podracing experience.

This sounds awesome, I loved the arcade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I got a small haul from Phoenix Games with the help of my state tax return.

Castlevania is one of my all time favorite franchises, and it made me really happy to find III in box, with manuals, albeit beat to hell.

They also had Castlevania II in box, but I already have it, no box but with manuals, and I couldn't justify buying it again just for the box (at least not until my federal return arrives :retrogames:)

I picked up an NES controller because the 2 that I possess currently have lovely D-pads that cause me to die a lot. This one I tested in store and it's perfect.

Ico and Katamari should go without saying.

They also had Zelda II in box, which I have my eye on, because I have LoZ and LttP in box, and I would like them to have friends. Again, I have ZII not in box, and the wouldn't just sell me the box :argh:

• Locked thread