Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

However, once you hit Soul Rank 2, all bets are off :unsmigghh:

It's much easier to get in a group with a couple of people who you trust and cover your proverbial bases when out in dungeons. There were a bunch of people in channel 8 of the Caligrase Sewers earlier, and at least a few of them had apparently stolen something. If you're in pretty much any dungeon after Caligrase, it pays to have someone backing you up to make sure you don't get looted if you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

Can anyone back this up? Looks like there's been argument about it on the forums.

I'm only level 6 but I've had 3 negative stats happen when I've had 150 condition, and all positives when I've had under 100. Definitely not a good sample size, but it's all I have to go off of at this point.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Do they have anywhere that shows their server status? I'd like to be sure the server is down and not just taking forever to connect.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I haven't found any server status page, so I'd wager there isn't one. There have been people reporting getting stuck on the connecting screen, and apparently they're looking into it.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
No, there isn't a server status. It stays at 'connect' until it...connects.

I'd like it if you didn't have to click four times to reroll, as well. Beyond that, I need to make it windowed so I can see the text better. Or change the resolution, which sucks.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
In as Forg Forg. The server is up, took about 10m to get in.

Now how do I find some peeps?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

In Ilfalo, switch over to channel 8. From there, you can join up with some goons and work out which channel you want to use in dungeons.

As soon as I hit SR3, I'm going to set up a union, which should make things easier to organize.

I think I'll set up a spreadsheet on google for goons to put their character names on so we can know who's who.

e: Put your information on here so we all know who to group with

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 31, 2013

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
If anyone is interested I made a channel for Wizardry on the CTS mumble all are welcome.

Contact info here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521554

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Oh god the text scroll speed in cutscenes in this game is the loving worst.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Anyone know what kinda stat distribution should be done for each class in terms of the bonus stat points ? as in for Thief should I just dump into DEX or what ?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
If it's anything like the actual console Wizardry games it doesn't matter, you will actually lose stat points as you level up if you start with to high of stat points with the bonus points.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010

goldjas posted:

If it's anything like the actual console Wizardry games it doesn't matter, you will actually lose stat points as you level up if you start with to high of stat points with the bonus points.

You randomly gain and lose attribute points as you level. I put 4 points in str and vit and those have only gone up and a few more points in other areas. Perhaps even luck plays a vital role at creation too.

So far pretty fun game. I wonder how big of an issue pvp gets to be at later levels. I can already feel the thirst rising...

Anyone else have an issue when you close the game your resolution doesn't revert?

Forgotton fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 31, 2013

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why is the dialogue speed so slow! Ugh.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

All the dialogue that really matters, you can speed up with the mouse button. I'm at the point where I just immediately skip any cutscene because oh god the text speed.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Don't skip the first cutscene about crime. Just don't.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

Miijhal posted:

I skipped it, now what? :ohdear:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Economy Clown Car posted:

I skipped it, now what? :ohdear:

I don't think you missed anything that you couldn't pick up from help or from the wiki - it dealt entirely with how you become a criminal and what that means. It was roughly as terrible as every other cutscene.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Miijhal posted:

Okay I'll admit, that was a pretty good cutscene.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:shepface: Oh no, I am turning red because I am a criminal? :shepface:

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
Hopefully they actually have some people working on fixing the log in issues, no matter how long i leave the game running i cant seem to get past the "connect" screen.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So what happens when you become a pile of ash? Do you just sit there in third person as an ash pile? If your friend picks you up do you just follow him around in third person?

VVV Oh I see, I have never been a fan of perma-death games because I am an impatient rear end in a top hat but I may give this one a whirl if I can convince some friends to all play together.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 31, 2013

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

You get one last chance to revive while ash, and if you fail that, that character is gone for good. If your friend picks you up, I believe it follows them to wherever they take you. If they're taking you somewhere unsafe (like an rear end in a top hat), you've got an oh-poo poo button that lets you jump back into soul form.

If you're ash, your soul can still move around like normal. Turning to ash is just going along with Wizardry tradition (dead -> ash -> lost).

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
These were posted on their twitter page which seems like the place to go for updates:

quote:

The Wizardry Online servers will be coming down at 8:30 AM PST on January 31 for maintenance. The estimated downtime is 5 hours.

quote:

We're making changes during the #Wizardry maintenance today to address the slow login issue players experienced yesterday.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Wow, thats a really crappy time for us euros everywhere, goes right across prime time. :v:

Anyhow, when the servers are up ill be on my dwarf cleric Biff Meatslab if anyone wants to kill me and loot my corpse run some dungeons

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Merryweather appears to be up, the EU server still appears to be down.

Nevermind, poo poo's still busted.

e: Holy poo poo the official forums thread for this maintenance is hilarious. Some people in there are treating the downtime like SOE shot their dog or something.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 31, 2013

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah I had some fun reading that thread earlier. I'm not sure which group is more entertaining...the doom and gloom rage patrol who seem to be worried that this server outage is the end of fun as we know it, or the white knight subscribers who also like to drop their closed-beta-testing experience card like it validates their every post.

The worst mistake...ever.

quote:

This is a joke right? Yesterday was pretty rough. Now I have to wait an hour to wait 5 hours. I hope I never make this mistake again

This guy just wants to play Online Character Generator without all these darn interruptions!

quote:

Aaaach ... realy, this game just wont let me "roll" in piece, with those restarts and stuck in connect issues i spend altogether 4 hours trying to get into game... My 50+ roll is still so far away...

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I managed to run up through some of aria sewers last night. Soul name is Slicker in game, character name Sleight. Hit me up, I'm not a jerk but I'll probably be pretty unresponsive as I'm not used to the chat in this game very much. I'll not actually ever have any money or anything to pass down for forever because you're broke as a joke the second you open forging but I may get a couple hand me down items or whatever. My best advice is to go to the armor shop and kit yourself out as best you can when you get soul rank two. Immediately getting away from 1 defense armor pieces is such a huge change.

About the stats on level up, My experience has been that fountains have crushed royal inn stays, I don't see the point of dropping 3k every level, you'll want that money for forging. Get your soul rank 3 poo poo to +3, it starts getting harder to upgrade. Unless of course you have a good plan to get SR 4 quickly.

Edit: Exp books you got with the beta testing appear to be busted. Either that or they don't stack with the dimento medal that you also get with beta testing.

Subscription gives you a 24 slot bag which is a godsend for the early levels, especially deltis keep which shits out items.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Someone from SOE just mentioned that ideally, the servers would be back up in an hour or two, but it could mean that some problems might persist until they can roll out a more comprehensive fix.

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

This is SomethingAwful.com
How are you guys even getting in the game long enough to make progress in it? About 3/4 of my game time has been waiting on the "Connect" screen to advance and then trying to handle a few things before being disconnected.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Connection problems were fine last night, excluding the wait at "connect" when logging in. Connect is a good thing, by the way, don't quit on it. If it goes to reconnecting, then there is a problem. Someone chime in if I'm giving terrible advice here but I think that's how it works.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Some people just hang at "connect" forever, while some of us lucky folks just hang there for 60s-5min before getting into game and having no further issues.

EDIT: If you're part of the unfortunate former group, you might just want to give up on this until they get a fix pushed out. The devs are aware of it and working on a fix but don't have one yet.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 1, 2013

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Some people just hang at "connect" forever, while some of us lucky folks just hang there for 60s-5min before getting into game and having no further issues.

I alt tabbed, watched about 15 minutes or so of stuff before I actually got in. That was last night however. I hope they fix the zone times. I had a perfect connection last night, and it was pretty awesome.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

A put a lot of time into the game yesterday, and the worst problem I had was long load times heading from town into dungeons and vice-versa. Thankfully, the game alt-tabs pretty gracefully while loading.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

According to the twitters, Merryweather is back.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I just let the game sit over the last 30 minutes. It finally finished connect(ing) and then I got a cutscene after being in the game for 30 seconds, which I pressed Esc to skip. The game then proceeded to crash. :smithicide:

Maybe I'll play some Wizardry on my PS3 while I wait. :v:

PureRok fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 1, 2013

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Shlapintogan posted:

A put a lot of time into the game yesterday, and the worst problem I had was long load times heading from town into dungeons and vice-versa.

Same here, yesterday was perfect if you could excuse the long connect and load times. Today, however, has been pretty terrible. Longish load times, and rubberbanding all over the place. It got to the point where I could run halfway across the main city and find myself back where I started, so I gave up for the night.

Shlapintogan posted:

Thankfully, the game alt-tabs pretty gracefully while loading.

I'm pretty sure the game runs by default in a borderless window, which is why it's so alt-tab friendly. This is a godsend while waiting at the connect screen. It actually feels weird in a way, since Wizardry looks so much like FFXI (a game that viewed alt-tabbing as next door to cheating).

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Alkanos posted:

Same here, yesterday was perfect if you could excuse the long connect and load times. Today, however, has been pretty terrible. Longish load times, and rubberbanding all over the place. It got to the point where I could run halfway across the main city and find myself back where I started, so I gave up for the night.

I'm pretty sure the game runs by default in a borderless window, which is why it's so alt-tab friendly. This is a godsend while waiting at the connect screen. It actually feels weird in a way, since Wizardry looks so much like FFXI (a game that viewed alt-tabbing as next door to cheating).

I managed to get on for a brief moment earlier today, and like you said, the rubberbanding was horrible. Hopefully that won't be an issue once I get back on.

And yeah, borderless window is pretty much the best. It makes it easy to sit through loading screens and that drat "connect" screen.

Back on the game itself. Is anyone else on Deltis Keep? I'm able to stay in there for a good while, but the absurd drop rates in there make it hard to continue for too long without my bags filling up. I really wish that stuff you equipped didn't stay in your bag, since you're not "carrying" the stuff, you're wearing it.

In any case, if anyone is wandering around Deltis Keep on Merryweather and they want help, I'm up for some explorin'.

e: there still appears to be a little bit of rubberbanding, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was.

e2: disconnected :argh:

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 1, 2013

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I downloaded this last night at work after only just finding out about it due to a Twitch TV stream of it. I loved me some Wizardry as a kid, so I grabbed it immediately.

I tried to connect to it when I got home from work, and again before I left for work tonight. In a total of like an hour and 20 minutes worth of attempts, I got to the server selection screen twice, at which point it immediately disconnected me when I tried to connect. All the other attempts sat on the connect screen for like 10 minutes until it returned an error that the authorization server was full. :saddowns:

Is there a fix for this, or are the servers literally that swamped (and/or crappy) that I just have to keep brute forcing the login for hours to try and get in?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Gave this game another try last night. I'm in as Soul name Dawnfire, first name Elizara. I remember trying it way back during the beta last year when I snagged a key from a giveaway. At that time the graphics and horrible combat kind of turned me away before I even gave it a fair shake. Oh, and the god-awful cut scenes.

Now, however, I gave it a good try. I really got into this dungeon gameplay stuff. Feels a whole lot more like D&D then DDO did. There's this ever-present feeling of danger because of how easy it is to get face stomped by even regular mobs, and the fear of permadeath (even if it's always been 100% revival chance at low levels) plus losing your items really makes the game's exploration feel different. Delving around and exploring does have this Dark Souls feel in a distant way. It'd be more so if the enemy revival times weren't kind of awful.

Partying is also all sorts of fun. Really gets you into the feeling of having to rely on each other. It's probably no more so team oriented then other mmos, but it's just that the danger of regular mobs causes you to want the protection of a team.

Playing as a mage and it's hillariously OP so far. Someone mentioned that they felt it weak a bit back, but that's really until you get your second alignment based spell and then go to town on everything. Running out of mana is an issue, but just bring a ton of campfires and you're good. Mage requires a lot of dodging, though, so it's also one of those classes where a few missteps will end you. Thankfully I went Gnome with a 12 stat bonus that I used to max out int and pepper a point on even more vit and agi. I think I have a bit more hp then the average mage as a result of my race choice, and almost as much mp as an elf.

Only problem I've had with mage so far is that I always get aggro immediately when in a group. My 2mp fire shot will typically out damage a thief's backstab and do multiple times as much damage as a fighter's regular attacks will do. My 5mp nuke will do something like 300-500 damage. I'm also sill SL1 and character level 5 and only barely finished the first dungeon.

Edit: Will kill for some other lowbies to play around with. Mage needs bodies to protect it.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Zaodai posted:

I downloaded this last night at work after only just finding out about it due to a Twitch TV stream of it. I loved me some Wizardry as a kid, so I grabbed it immediately.

I tried to connect to it when I got home from work, and again before I left for work tonight. In a total of like an hour and 20 minutes worth of attempts, I got to the server selection screen twice, at which point it immediately disconnected me when I tried to connect. All the other attempts sat on the connect screen for like 10 minutes until it returned an error that the authorization server was full. :saddowns:

Is there a fix for this, or are the servers literally that swamped (and/or crappy) that I just have to keep brute forcing the login for hours to try and get in?

The servers are swamped and there are apparently some internal issues that need ironing out. If we could stay connected and not have some hideous rubberbanding, I'd be totally okay with having to wait a little while at the connection screen, but unfortunately, that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I'd give it a little while. If the servers aren't pulled back down, people should eventually get tired of hammering the poo poo out of the servers and go to bed or something, which should open them up to the rest of us.

• Locked thread