Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Oh Impossible, you're so coy:

This was on turn 2 of a mission, and they all appeared at once, its not like I was stumbling into extra packs. Good thing I have MAYHEM ROCKETS!

That's two turns later. No squad damage taken, and a captive zerker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

ChronoReverse posted:

Makes it more like original X-COM. It doesn't make that much difference to my playstyle though.
It'd seem to not matter much for 99% of encounters, but any time you were trying to level up a rookie or capture a live alien... yikes.

Still, I'm almost positive original X-Com showed health. Not PRECISE health, but there was some kind of healthbar. Or at least I'm pretty sure there was. There was also a bar for smoke inhalation, and watching that top the health out was how you took a live alien.

EDIT: ^^ I really need to try a Mayhem heavy. In fact, maybe I'll make my new psychic heavy squaddie into a Mayhem heavy. That looks too fun.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Still, I'm almost positive original X-Com showed health. Not PRECISE health, but there was some kind of healthbar. Or at least I'm pretty sure there was. There was also a bar for smoke inhalation, and watching that top the health out was how you took a live alien.

In the original XCOM your own troops had a health bar, but there was zero indication of enemy health. Unless you mind-controlled them of course, then you could see their health.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nephilm posted:

Has he participated in anything that's not social skinner boxes in the past 5 years?
He was the CEO of Big Huge Games until they got acquired by 38 Studios in 2009. And I can totally see why he went to Zynga. Facebook games like those are essentially strategy games, and at the time it looked like the new place to be as a strategy designer. Second, Zynga at the time was heavily pushing the "we're going to make games that aren't pure evil" story. I remember a lot of press buying into them turning a new leaf, hiring Reynolds and Soren Johnson, etc. It turned out to be bullshit, but I don't think either of them are now tainted or anything.

e: VVVVV
The world of Xcom is actually a Michael Bay alien invasion movie. But don't worry, the aliens have all been watching mythbusters during their trip here too, they don't think that cars should explode either.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 31, 2013

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Holy poo poo if this is good.
Although, who the gently caress thought that CARS SHOULD EXPLODE?
I got two men killed by an exploding car (And being a moron, i set my first playthrough on Ironman.)
I'm about to go to Sid's office with a video of the appropriate Mythbusters episode, and call him on his bullshit :colbert:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It's an alternate universe. All vehicles use Pinto(TM) engineering. Even tanks.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Aureon posted:

I got two men killed by an exploding car (And being a moron, i set my first playthrough on Ironman.)
I'm about to go to Sid's office with a video of the appropriate Mythbusters episode, and call him on his bullshit :colbert:

To be fair, the mythbusters don't exactly have access to alien plasma weaponry.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
TBF it's a video game.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

ChronoReverse posted:

It's an alternate universe. All vehicles use Pinto(TM) engineering. Even tanks.

What's even funnier than complaining about vehicles exploding? Realizing that it still takes them a full turn to explode if you shoot them with a rocket launcher.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Aureon posted:

No, you don't understand, exploding cars is a GOOD thing. Try firing a rocket at a bunch of mutons using cars as cover. Primary explosion damages mutons, exploding cars kills them, no more mutons.

Explosions not bad. Explosions good.

(whoever lit the cars off also gets kill credit - I had a dude level up because he took a shot at an alien with a pistol, miss, wing a car, ignite it, then the car exploded next turn killing the dude he missed)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'd like if experience for kills were divided between every soldier that did damage to the alien, rather than just the one who gets the killing blow since I always end up trying to take my shots in some arcane order to distribute the kills where they are needed. Optimizing your soldiers' experience gain shouldn't be something that competes with making the most tactically sound moves.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Slashrat posted:

I'd like if experience for kills were divided between every soldier that did damage to the alien, rather than just the one who gets the killing blow since I always end up trying to take my shots in some arcane order to distribute the kills where they are needed. Optimizing your soldiers' experience gain shouldn't be something that competes with making the most tactically sound moves.

Eh, you don't waste experience unless a soldier is getting more than 2 ranks worth (experience cap is [cost to reach rank after the next - 1]), and having one or two veterans is almost always better than a more even distribution, so the only real "optimal distribution" you should be doing is letting rookies get some kills with grenades once you're training substitutes for the a-team.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
In an attempt to mod the Arc Thrower to the pistol slot I seem to have completely broken it leaving me unable to stun any aliens at all. I get the "No targets in range" message even if I'm stood next to them. Anyone have the right changes I need to make this work?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I just tried the demo for this game and it's amazing. Reminds me of a futuristic Fire Emblem.

Just a random question - the survivor of the first demo mission shared my nationality (Argentina). Is that intended or did I get incredibly lucky? :v:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Azran posted:

I just tried the demo for this game and it's amazing. Reminds me of a futuristic Fire Emblem.

Just a random question - the survivor of the first demo mission shared my nationality (Argentina). Is that intended or did I get incredibly lucky? :v:

It's random. The demo pretty much considered poo poo compared to the full game, given that it's just the tutorial.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Game beaten on classic ironman. I...I lost 2 soldiers. I hadn't had a non-squaddie die since month 2.

My heavy got blown the gently caress up by 2 sectopods when damage roulette gave me 2 consecutive hits of < 4 damage with HEAT ammo.

My assault got mind controlled by the final boss. Not sure if killing the boss killed him or if I accidentally caught him in my rift. Either way, I'm not sure I beat that mission without rift.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brainamp posted:

It's random. The demo pretty much considered poo poo compared to the full game, given that it's just the tutorial.

Not that bit.

Tutorial mission always gives you a male Argentinian heavy as the sole survivor.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

chiasaur11 posted:

Tutorial mission always gives you a male Argentinian heavy as the sole survivor.

Really? I could've sworn, however it has been several months since I last played the tutorial, that it was random since I got a Mexican as the survivor. The Heavy bit I agree with though.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Oh awesome, just because I ignored an abduction mission on a panic 1 country I was gonna satellite later that month anyway, another country in the same continent that already had a satellite went into the red and bailed out of the XCOM project. Fuckers, gimme that satellite back!

(It was Egypt, I really could have continued using the All In bonus they gave on this Impossible non-Ironman run...)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Aureon posted:

I HAVE ONE, AND ONLY ONE QUESTION TO ASK YOU:

EXPLOSIONS!?!??!

HINT: THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS 'YES'.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Cobbsprite posted:

What's even funnier than complaining about vehicles exploding? Realizing that it still takes them a full turn to explode if you shoot them with a rocket launcher.

Actually, its grenades that cause a car to take a full turn to explode (unless you use two grenades! which is actually worth doing sometimes)
Rockets always blow up any cars in its radius.

This makes shredder rockets extremely powerful in certain situations, since they can set off the cars and tanks and end up doing massive damage while saving the main rocket. Obviously, normal rockets work even more well.

This includes tanks, so if you get a terror mission at the military base, if you bait the chrysallids into the area with the double rows of tanks, you can take out every enemy in more than half the screen with a single rocket :)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
That military base map with the double row of tanks is bugged anyway. 9/10 times I never have to go further up than halfway to the warehouse before all the aliens have streamed out to me and been cut down. Once I've had to go into the warehouse to kill a couple of confused chrysalids, and once I've had to go behind the warehouse to kill a lone drone.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Yeah, that map reminds me way too much of the small construction yard map where you come in on the two tile wide open gate and just sit by the crane, forklift, and either of two dumpsters while aliens rain down death from across the map at you. It's a shame you can't even experience at least 40% of the map content itself in singleplayer because enemies run at you like it's the running of the bulls.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Coolguye posted:

EXPLOSIONS!?!??!

HINT: THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS 'YES'.
Dr. Vahlens would like to have a word with you. :colbert:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sashimi posted:

Dr. Vahlens would like to have a word with you. :colbert:
I could never hear Dr. No Fun over all the explosions I was making.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Is there a way to turn off the various tutorial-style events? I really don't need to hear speculation about how much energy that power source might contain, and whether or not that's a being of pure energy, every time I start a new game.

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?

Muscle Tracer posted:

Is there a way to turn off the various tutorial-style events? I really don't need to hear speculation about how much energy that power source might contain, and whether or not that's a being of pure energy, every time I start a new game.

You can skip the cinematic sequences with Esc. Not sure about the rest though.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

Muscle Tracer posted:

In the base, you can go into the spinning globe room and spin the globe to skip any voiceovers. "Being a pure energy" on the other hand..

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

nohopeindope posted:

You can skip the cinematic sequences with Esc. Not sure about the rest though.

Yeah, I know I can skip the stuff in the ant farm, but there are various points on the battlefield that the game locks you onto an alien power source or whatever while Professor Science and Dr. Engineering lecture you. It's not too bad, but it does seem like the kind of thing they might have disabled if "tutorial" wasn't checked.

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?
Hey guys, you should check this out. Great read: http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/1/31/3928710/making-of-xcoms-jake-solomon-firaxis-sid-meier

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Holy crap that combat pre-visualization video looks awesome. Seriously that should be how Xcom 2 looks.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Is it even possible to beat the Slingshot missions on classic or impossible?

I always get destroyed by them. Muton or chrysalid on the first month after fighting off swarms of thinmen... o...kay. Barely doable on impossible, only by cheesing and knowing where/when everything will spawn.

TONS of mutons and thinmen dropping in around you on a train with a time limit on month 2? gently caress this.

Also is it my imagination or do the slingshot missions not lower panic levels like the council ones do?

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

What the gently caress's up with this light blue font on a white background? This is almost unreadable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dush posted:

What the gently caress's up with this light blue font on a white background? This is almost unreadable.
Looks fine here.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

The Kins posted:

Looks fine here.

:confused: What the hell man. Augh. My eyes. Why is it doing this to me.

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?
Hah! I read it in my RSS reader, didn't realize how unreadable the font was. Too bad because it is a pretty good article.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

amanasleep posted:

Holy crap that combat pre-visualization video looks awesome. Seriously that should be how Xcom 2 looks.

Agreed. I know Jake said that when they had the ever-going firefights it was too chaotic, but I think it was pretty awesome looking. It's not that chaotic as long as you have a cursor or indicator to let you know exactly what's happening, whose turn it is, etc. The only problem I see is with something like plasma weapons that destroy terrain on a missed shot - why would it not destroy terrain during the cinematic fake-shooting, but destroy it when the soldier uses an action to take an actual shot?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It occurs to me that machinima would be a crazy awesome thing to happen for XCOM.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

amanasleep posted:

One of XCOM's strengths, though, is its relatively quick pace for a TBS. That's a couple minutes for what, two moves and six shots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

One of XCOM's strengths, though, is its relatively quick pace for a TBS. That's a couple minutes for what, two moves and six shots?

I agree that's probably why it was toned down. Still, the reactions of the soldiers to the situation is amazing. One thing that I would like is a greater range of animations for actions. The same canned moves get boring after a while. Also, firefights never feel intense. They can be nerve wracking, but in the same way it would be for a stealth game, not a combat sim.

• Locked thread