Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I always suspected the goggles were just in case something needed to be welded right away.

When there are Welding Emergencies, it is good to know that the Emergency Welders are on the case. For the Queen!

(And yes, the monkey is pretty accurate. We're all really brain-dead this week.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I had always assumed steampunk's love of goggles stemmed from incorporating the popular image of early aviation.

Dr. Demon
Jan 2, 2007

Everybody out of the god damn way. You got a hat full of bomb, a fist full of penis, and a head full of empty.
Maybe the goggles are so you don't get blinded by smoke and coal dust. I have to imagine that your average steampunk city is an incredibly polluted hellhole.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Dr. Demon posted:

Maybe the goggles are so you don't get blinded by smoke and coal dust. I have to imagine that your average steampunk city is an incredibly polluted hellhole.

Oh yeah this is one more thing that bothers me. People love to prance around in the aviator costumes and not think about the massive underclass that you would need mining all the coal for your loving steam goggles or steam watch.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
It bothers you that people prefer to think about things that are cool instead of things that are depressing? Particularly in terms of entirely fictional societies?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Iunnrais posted:

It bothers you that people prefer to think about things that are cool instead of things that are depressing? Particularly in terms of entirely fictional societies?
But... aren't depressing class issues really interesting? That's my favorite part. I love that it sounds like the horrible class issues of the era are going to be comically represented in this game.

A steampunk setting that doesn't deal with class issues is a pretty drat shallow one. I mean, it's the least you can do to pretend the "punk" in steampunk means anything.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Further down the same rabbit hole, hopefully the game will be going more in-depth into a steam-driven world than simply "it's just a __________ with some gears glued on it."

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Iunnrais posted:

Eiba posted:

But... aren't depressing class issues really interesting? That's my favorite part. I love that it sounds like the horrible class issues of the era are going to be comically represented in this game.

A steampunk setting that doesn't deal with class issues is a pretty drat shallow one. I mean, it's the least you can do to pretend the "punk" in steampunk means anything.

Pretty much this. If there is value to the genre, and I believe there is potential, it will have to come in the form of people using a fantasy setting to examine real world problems and the human condition.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Eiba posted:

MoreLikeTen posted:

Pretty much this. If there is value to the genre, and I believe there is potential, it will have to come in the form of people using a fantasy setting to examine real world problems and the human condition.

Alehkhs posted:

Further down the same rabbit hole, hopefully the game will be going more in-depth into a steam-driven world than simply "it's just a __________ with some gears glued on it."

Yes to pretty much all of this. We're very aware of the evils of colonialism, and that it is... well, let us just say that 90% of steampunk hideously glamourizes it. Everybody's nobly running about with their zeppelins and their aetheric guns and their goggles, and this just sort of glosses over the fact that the real British Empire was busy colonizing and subjugating everything that it could get its hands on, with unfortunate outcomes for the local populations ranging from oppression to slavery.

So yes, definitely something we are aware of; also, we are keeping in mind the consequences of industrialization. It should be... an interesting take on things. I will note that David is heavily into China Miéville, that sort of thing. I like my steampunk a bit more wibbly, so there's something there for everybody.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

nvining posted:

Yes to pretty much all of this. We're very aware of the evils of colonialism, and that it is... well, let us just say that 90% of steampunk hideously glamourizes it. Everybody's nobly running about with their zeppelins and their aetheric guns and their goggles, and this just sort of glosses over the fact that the real British Empire was busy colonizing and subjugating everything that it could get its hands on, with unfortunate outcomes for the local populations ranging from oppression to slavery.

So yes, definitely something we are aware of; also, we are keeping in mind the consequences of industrialization. It should be... an interesting take on things. I will note that David is heavily into China Miéville, that sort of thing. I like my steampunk a bit more wibbly, so there's something there for everybody.

This is starting to sound really promising. I'd love to build New Crobuzon and it seems like the developers have something along the same lines in mind.

A grimy steampunk world filled with class issues, pollution, and the dark consequences of imperialism is always more interesting than the sanitized cheery steam"punk" that is way too common. I mean, it sounds like you guys are going for a more dark comedy angle than serious social critique, which honestly is probably a better choice for a videogame (and especially one without a set plotline), but just the same, it makes it that much more of an interesting and believable world.

So yeah, when can I preorder?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Limerick posted:

So yeah, when can I preorder?

Not for a while yet. The official date of release is still EOY 2013 "if all goes well."

We also ran a beta test for Dredmor through these forums which was hugely successful; we'll probably do much the same for CE as soon as we get things to the point where we start wanting/needing player feedback.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

President Ark posted:

I imagine a picture of you with a little cartoon thought bubble with this in it.
My mind immediately went to this. It's generally what I think staff meetings at Gaslamp are like.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

My mind immediately went to this. It's generally what I think staff meetings at Gaslamp are like.

We played that at a staff meeting and were immediately greeted by "we have a spy in our midst!" The entire office is now undergoing interviews to determine who is the spy.

Well done.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

nvining posted:

We played that at a staff meeting and were immediately greeted by "we have a spy in our midst!" The entire office is now undergoing interviews to determine who is the spy.

Well done.

Time to break out the flamethrowers. If you yell "SPYCHECK!" first it's okay.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
Just wondering, have any of you guys read Gregory Keyes' The Age Of Unreason books? The whole 'alchemy/steampunk gone horribly wrong' aestheic of the books sounds a bit like what you were getting at - people abusing the power of the new 'science', without much thought about the suffering it causes!

nvining
May 30, 2011

Pseudohog posted:

Just wondering, have any of you guys read Gregory Keyes' The Age Of Unreason books? The whole 'alchemy/steampunk gone horribly wrong' aestheic of the books sounds a bit like what you were getting at - people abusing the power of the new 'science', without much thought about the suffering it causes!

Nope, we haven't, but it sounds like the sort of thing we *should* read.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Pseudohog posted:

This description reminds me a bit of the series "Fringe", apart from the steampunk. Mainly the "people abusing science" part. I can highly recommend it in any case.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Scripting system talk and more work on biomes:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/01/30/hooray-for-scripting-and-other-things-we-did-in-the-past-two-weeks/

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
#the mod community will not be allowed to experience joy only suffering#

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

"Unlike in Dredmor, where scripting using our XML system causes hideous silent failures, both our XML and our Lua code will scream at you, furiously, if anything is broken or incorrect."

Excellent. Those were a nightmare.

Edit: new screenshot is nice.

Daynab fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 30, 2013

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
You could make an entire blog post out of nothing but disjointed tags and I'd still read it.

The mod community will not be allowed to experience joy? It will be a modding community. Whatever makes a large amount of a modding community joyful is probably something that man was not meant to see. However, it would probably fit right in with the Lovecraftian steampunk.

The new terrain looks pretty. The scripting is good news for modders if it ever gets to their hands.

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck
I have to say that I love how this is turning out. Everything i see makes me more impatient to try Clockwork Empires out. After Dredmor, and with this sort of development log, pretty much anything you guys release is insta-buy for me (I even got a diggle plushie!) Keep up the good work!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

Fundamentally, Gaslamp’s programming team operates based on spite.

With nothing but inlaws, a language barrier, two laptops (one of which was destroyed by a cat), a turkey stuffed with poutine, and spite, he put together the first build of what is our new scripting system.

In all fairness, I think a lot of teams operate on spite.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

Cauldron Moose posted:

I have to say that I love how this is turning out. Everything i see makes me more impatient to try Clockwork Empires out. After Dredmor, and with this sort of development log, pretty much anything you guys release is insta-buy for me (I even got a diggle plushie!) Keep up the good work!

I'm going to take a moment to echo this. I loved Dredmor, I love how open and involved you are with us, and really I just love your whole shtick. I plan on buying CE as soon as I possibly can and the same is likely to go for whatever your next project is.

As an irrelevant aside. What did you name your diggle plushie? Sir Digsworth? Lord Diggleton?

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Volmarias posted:

In all fairness, I think a lot of teams operate on spite.

But not many teams produce games where "spite" might as well be some type of fuel resource in-game.

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

Admiral Funk posted:

I'm going to take a moment to echo this. I loved Dredmor, I love how open and involved you are with us, and really I just love your whole shtick. I plan on buying CE as soon as I possibly can and the same is likely to go for whatever your next project is.

As an irrelevant aside. What did you name your diggle plushie? Sir Digsworth? Lord Diggleton?

I... Name? They have names? I always just took them for a hive mind of hate and malice, one that when the connection was severed they entered into an almost vegetative state! This changes everything! I'll have to work out a name for him (her? it? Do diggles have gender?) right away.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Cauldron Moose posted:

Thanks for the love, folks! I've passed these noble sentiments on to the rest of the development team.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Admiral Funk posted:

Digsby. He lives in my bathrobe pocket.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Wipfmetz posted:

But not many teams produce games where "spite" might as well be some type of fuel resource in-game.

Touché.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

Thanks for the love, folks! I've passed these noble sentiments on to the rest of the development team.

Wait! No! Don't be spreading love all around the team! It will decrease their work morale and we will never see CE released!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

7c Nickel posted:

#the mod community will not be allowed to experience joy only suffering#

Honestly, I hope that modding is easier than that, because that's one of the things that makes Dwarf Fortress so drat compelling. Give me a creature and 20 minutes and I'll have it ready to fight in the arena. Editing tokens in DF is so easy, even a non-programmer like me can produce interesting results from it. Hell, about a half-month into the DF2012 update I was one of the first people to figure out how to code shrinking illnesses, and I've gotten Cs in all my computer science courses.

Of course, since Clockwork Empires will have stuff like textures and graphics modding is going to require a little more effort than opening Notepad and editing the creatures.txt file no matter what. Still, try to keep things readable to people that haven't taken programming courses. Notation will set you free!

Oh, and personal request: Once the game is fairly stable and you're conducting internal testing, please for the love of Cog write down any particularly hilarious bugs and preserve them for the final release in some form. Stuff like "fish being too hardcore" is what defines DF, and is miles funnier than any conscious effort at comedy would have been.

And gotta reccomend the recently completed Matul Remrit to the "Inspiration" folder.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Admiral Funk posted:

Sir Professor von Digglesworth III, Esq, MD, LLP, of course.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Triskelli posted:

Oh, and personal request: Once the game is fairly stable and you're conducting internal testing, please for the love of Cog write down any particularly hilarious bugs and preserve them for the final release in some form. Stuff like "fish being too hardcore" is what defines DF, and is miles funnier than any conscious effort at comedy would have been.

And gotta reccomend the recently completed Matul Remrit to the "Inspiration" folder.

Reminds me of that bit about the Skyrim chickens reporting your crimes. Thats just gold. :allears:

Another request on the nature of modding, if its possible to fit it into the timetable post release (or pre!) could you throw in something modular with existing ingame objects?
You know, if i wanted to mod in a new monster, a simple but elegant place holder might be a mis-mash of current objects. Or a current monster with a new hat. Or a new table with different objects ontop. Or a new monster with a table for a hat.

Stuff like that is handy. Its kind of frustrating when you're limited to using existing assets or crack open texture files yourself. And while i cant speak for the dev end, it seems like an easy win for the modders.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I'm loving the newer game images. The original renders back when the game was announced were ugly-ish, but the new ones are looking better and better. Can't wait to make a herd of aurochs go extinct again :allears:. I like that most of the computing power the game will consume will go to the simulation layer, I think we've reached a point in gaming when it is just not worth it to keep pushing graphic capabilities (because it's expensive both in development time and money and for the end user, it's difficult to program, and I just think we've reached a good enough graphical satus quo, we don't need more triangles for the GPU god); and it's just better to use all that processing power for simulations/physics/AI/giant interactive worlds/things that further gameplay.

Seconding the blog telling us about amusing bugs, they are always my favourite bit of development. I could see "Cogs McGruff cancels eating: too insane" as a feature and not a bug in this game.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Markovnikov posted:

I'm loving the newer game images. The original renders back when the game was announced were ugly-ish, but the new ones are looking better and better. Can't wait to make a herd of aurochs go extinct again :allears:. I like that most of the computing power the game will consume will go to the simulation layer, I think we've reached a point in gaming when it is just not worth it to keep pushing graphic capabilities (because it's expensive both in development time and money and for the end user, it's difficult to program, and I just think we've reached a good enough graphical satus quo, we don't need more triangles for the GPU god); and it's just better to use all that processing power for simulations/physics/AI/giant interactive worlds/things that further gameplay.

Seconding the blog telling us about amusing bugs, they are always my favourite bit of development. I could see "Cogs McGruff cancels eating: too insane" as a feature and not a bug in this game.

We'll post interesting bugs as we come across them. The best one to date has still been the Random Plant People.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
I haven't seen this mentioned so I thought I'd bring it up: will there be checks in place to give a sense of progression without frontloading difficulty or making later gameplay stale?

For instance, DF can dump a huge influx of migrants on the player before they have stable food production in place, gobbling everything in sight. Rampaging herds of dangerous animals or undead can wipe out an expedition within seconds of the game starting. Situations like these are largely outside the control of the player. The reverse is true of later gameplay once basic production is stable and defenses are up, as little is overly threatening.

That being said, having an option to somewhat scale events like that to player progression is nice, but being able to turn it off could be hilarious as well for those looking for a challenge. Or those looking to see just how fast a new outpost of the empire can crumple under the assault of crab-people or whatnot.

edit: I'm not just talking about a difficulty slider, although that in itself is not a bad idea. I'm more interested in, say, the map generator spawning some hideous beast which beelines for your expedition from the second the game starts. I suppose this could also be mitigated by allowing the player to trade some production capability to start with some means of defense.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 2, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

nvining posted:

This sounds great. I liked the idea of the game a lot but I'm always put off by Steampunk because most of the time it glorifies empire and cultivates a very shallow nostalgia for it. I too will be keening looking for when I can pre-order.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I found my new favorite:

Cauldron Moose posted:

I always just took them for a hive mind of hate and malice, one that when the connection was severed they entered into an almost vegetative state!
I thought those were called Gunter. In fact, I'm pretty sure all Gunters are Diggles and vice versa.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
Totally random question - part of the game is about exploration around the colony as you develop, yes? So can you find things other than monsters and evil... things?

More specifically, will you be able to find existing buildings like odd temples, native settlements or failed colonies, and incorporate them into your settlement? Likely with some terrible, mind-wrenching drawback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ScottyBomb posted:

Totally random question - part of the game is about exploration around the colony as you develop, yes? So can you find things other than monsters and evil... things?

More specifically, will you be able to find existing buildings like odd temples, native settlements or failed colonies, and incorporate them into your settlement? Likely with some terrible, mind-wrenching drawback?

Looking at all of the updates, I would say this is one of the prime aspects of the game.

• Locked thread