Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

japtor posted:

Edit: new app! THX tune-up, AV calibration thingy, works over AirPlay even. Free for a week before going up to $2.

My AV receiver has an iPod interface, I wonder if this app will use that for calibration, or maybe I can fire up XBMC and let it use Airplay. Should be fun to try at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

japtor posted:

Haven't tested this myself since I just thought of it off the top of my head now, but for iOS I think you can drop pins and save locations as contacts, which would sync over iCloud (if you have contact syncing turned on). From the computer side I think you could enter in addresses (and coordinates?) into the iCloud contacts web interface.

Dang, doesn't seem to quite do what I want it to... if I drop pins or add addresses to the contact book it'll take me to the point on the map, but it won't show me my saved places if I'm just browsing (essentially I want to walk down a street, hit Maps on the phone and see all my pins for stuff around me that I've looked up in advance). The built in Yelp and business listings in Apple Maps seem decent at least, but it's going to cover everything in the area.

At the moment I can see me just using my laptop in the morning when we plan which neighbourhoods we're hitting, and making a list of what's where.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Hrm, I wonder if there's an app that'll just show a group of contacts. It'd be like a friend map without actually tracking anyone I guess.

Edit: searched for "friend map" and "contacts map", downloading these right now to test them out:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ab-contact-map/id388624444?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/map-my-contact/id536473080?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/contact-gps/id445161827?mt=8

Might be a few more too but I don't feel like trying a bunch more I don't need :v:

Quick impressions: second seems like the best, first didn't seem to work, and third seems to work but is clunkier.

japtor fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 30, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

japtor posted:

Hrm, I wonder if there's an app that'll just show a group of contacts. It'd be like a friend map without actually tracking anyone I guess.

Edit: searched for "friend map" and "contacts map", downloading these right now to test them out:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ab-contact-map/id388624444?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/map-my-contact/id536473080?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/contact-gps/id445161827?mt=8

Might be a few more too but I don't feel like trying a bunch more I don't need :v:

Quick impressions: second seems like the best, first didn't seem to work, and third seems to work but is clunkier.

Awesome, I gave the second one a shot out of instinct before your edit and it does seem to do what I want. There's a few improvements it could do with, but I'm not fussy - it looks like it'll be really useful. Now to speed add tons of places into my contact list! Cheers

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Looks like there's a few others for iPhone (I was searching on my iPad earlier) so there's more options still to check out if you want something different.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

For those goons with young children, there is a free (limited time only) app called Endless Alphabet. It is a featured app in the app store. I downloaded it to have my daughter (2.5 year old) play with it and she loves it. They remove the letters from a word and the child moves the letters back into their proper spots. While moving the letter, it does the sound that the letter makes. Once they spell the word, it gives an animation showing what the word means followed by the definition of the word. It is a great educational tool to help young children learn to spell.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

xzzy posted:

What you might be able to get by with is setting up the map on google on your desktop using the "My Places" feature. You can drop as many pins as you want. Then if you visit google maps in Safari, you can view the maps you created. Can't edit them on iOS though. :downs:

My Maps Editor lets you edit your Google "My Places" maps on iOS. It doesn't do landscape mode on the iPad, though, which is kind of crazy-making.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

The pHo posted:

I never really need the maps app, so the whole iOS 6 maps fiasco didn't bother me, so typically the much heralded Google Maps app is doing my head in : is there any damned way to sync stuff I bookmark on my browser with what I can see on the phone? I know 'Saved locations' is similar, but it's not quite what I want.

Over the next few weeks I just want to drop dozens and dozens of pins around NYC of shops/places that look interesting so when I'm out there in April I have a pretty good guide to where I need to get to. If this isn't possible in either iOS maps (I can't think of anything that could sync to) or the Google Maps app, is there an easy way to sort it? It's the most basic feature and it's frustrating as hell it's not there.

If you're signed into both Google Maps on the desktop and Google Maps on your iphone, starring a place on desktop maps should make it show up as starred on iOS Google Maps (and vice versa, btw), although it can take ~five minutes for the changes to propagate through to the phone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

japtor posted:

Edit: new app! THX tune-up, AV calibration thingy, works over AirPlay even. Free for a week before going up to $2.

This is pretty drat awesome.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is pretty drat awesome.

Be aware it doesn't do 5.1 audio calibration over Airplay, you'll need to use an HDMI cable for that.

What's the cheapest 30-pin to HDMI adapter out there?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

echobucket posted:

Be aware it doesn't do 5.1 audio calibration over Airplay, you'll need to use an HDMI cable for that.

What's the cheapest 30-pin to HDMI adapter out there?

Judging from the screens involved it doesn't really calibrate audio at all, just checks to make sure your speakers are hooked up right and not out of phase. So check your black and red wires and you should be all set. Hardly seems worth getting an HDMI cable.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

randyest posted:

Judging from the screens involved it doesn't really calibrate audio at all, just checks to make sure your speakers are hooked up right and not out of phase. So check your black and red wires and you should be all set. Hardly seems worth getting an HDMI cable.

Good point, especially since my AV Receiver does audio calibration.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there anyway to create a photo stream that two/multiple people can post pictures to? I want to set one up with my Dad but he can't add pictures to the one I invited him to.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Is there anyway to create a photo stream that two/multiple people can post pictures to? I want to set one up with my Dad but he can't add pictures to the one I invited him to.

Wouldn't that be splendid? There really needs to be a contributor field or designation so one can enable subscribed people to post pictures to your stream. That'd be awesome.

But unfortunately, not possible at the moment. Another missed opportunity for Apple.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of photo streams, does Apple have any technical specs about it anywhere? The original photo stream is only your last 1000 photos. Do Shared Photostreams count as part of those 1000? Is it separate? How many can you have and do they expire/get deleted?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Well, found my Fantastical problem. It doesn't notify at all when on Do Not Disturb mode. This is nice, but I don't even get a notification on my lock screen. This is a problem when half the time I'll punch something into Fantastical right before going to bed that I want to remember to do tomorrow (drop a class, download something), wake up and completely forget about it until I open up the app again and see I had an event for today.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
So USB Disk & File Transfer is free today. Is it any good?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

So USB Disk & File Transfer is free today. Is it any good?

Judging from the AppShopper page, it has similar features to Documents by Readdle and GoodReader, but the interface looks like rear end. If you're using an iPad and want something for free, get Documents instead.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

hypersleep posted:

Judging from the AppShopper page, it has similar features to Documents by Readdle and GoodReader, but the interface looks like rear end. If you're using an iPad and want something for free, get Documents instead.
Nope I'm using an iPhone. I don't really need this at all, but it's free right now and I thought I'd give it a try.

So I did and you're right; it looks like rear end.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

Nope I'm using an iPhone. I don't really need this at all, but it's free right now and I thought I'd give it a try.

So I did and you're right; it looks like rear end.

There's an iPhone version of Documents that's supposed to be coming soon, according to Readdle's Twitter account. Keep an eye out for it. I've been using the iPad version since it was released and it's been really great for file management and whatnot.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

hypersleep posted:

There's an iPhone version of Documents that's supposed to be coming soon, according to Readdle's Twitter account. Keep an eye out for it. I've been using the iPad version since it was released and it's been really great for file management and whatnot.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it. It certainly looks nice from the screenshots I'm seeing.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Does anyone have any suggestions for an improved audiobook app? I've done some searching and it's hard to differentiate real positive reviews from astroturfing.

My biggest issue is that iOS seems to randomly forget where I am in a book. I listen to audiobooks all the time while driving, having to pause at the start to find where I was in an hour-long audio file is really annoying. Searching for help on this subject basically says, "Yeah, sometimes that happens when you sync, or charge the phone, or listen to something else in itunes," etc, but no real advice (yes, the audio type is audiobook, and remember position is set to true).

I'm hoping a free or nearly-free app exists which specializes in audiobooks and maintains state better. The two I've looked at already but haven't tried are Bookmark (last updated in 2011, multiple reviewers state it has issues with losing your place) and "Audiobook & Podcast Player" (also last updated in 2011) which is free but requires you to unlock the app with an IAP which just seems shady.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

For those goons with young children, there is a free (limited time only) app called Endless Alphabet. It is a featured app in the app store. I downloaded it to have my daughter (2.5 year old) play with it and she loves it. They remove the letters from a word and the child moves the letters back into their proper spots. While moving the letter, it does the sound that the letter makes. Once they spell the word, it gives an animation showing what the word means followed by the definition of the word. It is a great educational tool to help young children learn to spell.

Grabbed this last night on your recommendation, my daughter is almost 3 and she loved it. The words definitely aren't geared towards little kids/toddlers, but I'm seeing lots of value in the sounds the letters make, and she gets a kick out of moving the letters into place. She loves repeating the word and the animations. It's a really polished app and would have gladly paid up to 4.99 for it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Speaking of photo streams, does Apple have any technical specs about it anywhere? The original photo stream is only your last 1000 photos. Do Shared Photostreams count as part of those 1000? Is it separate? How many can you have and do they expire/get deleted?

Shared streams don't count towards your thousand, they never get deleted, and as far as I'm aware there's no official cap.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Shared streams don't count towards your thousand, they never get deleted, and as far as I'm aware there's no official cap.

That's interesting. So if you wanted to, you could move old photos from your regular photostream to a shared photo stream to get around the 1000 picture limit. Not that you should just keep every picture you've ever taken in photostreams though.

Genderman
Jan 17, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there any recommended music player app? The one that came default with my ipod touch sort of blows. You cant even create playlists on the fly. It feels like I can do less with it than my ipod classic

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Genderman posted:

Is there any recommended music player app? The one that came default with my ipod touch sort of blows. You cant even create playlists on the fly. It feels like I can do less with it than my ipod classic

Uh, you totally can make playlists on the go. Is your iOS up to date?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
What the hell, iPad app went into the wrong thread. Ignore.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Protocol7 posted:

What the hell, iPad app went into the wrong thread. Ignore.

Good advice.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
Looked through the OP and last few pages, and I still feel retarded asking this.

I have been fighting with my iPad 1 for over a year now just to try to get it to play music in a way that I want. God dammit, I just want folder-based music browsing, I want to drag and drop music off my computer onto the iPad, and I want a simple interface that doesn't gently caress with playlists, albums, etc.

So, I've jailbroken, installed things like iFile, pwntunes, and none of that really fixes the problem. So, I've downloaded the Bongiovi thing, and it still has the playlist/album/artist aesthetic, which I'm starting to realize is just a box I'm stuck in.

So, before I finally pitch this thing and get an android device where I can just run some sort of winamp/foobar program with a file structure that makes sense so I never have to look at iTunes again, is there ANYTHING that can alter the user experience in iOS?

This is making me feel like Crusty McOldperson harder than anything else right now, because I'm not one of the cool kids that thinks iTunes style. :(

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Quidam Viator posted:

Looked through the OP and last few pages, and I still feel retarded asking this.

I have been fighting with my iPad 1 for over a year now just to try to get it to play music in a way that I want. God dammit, I just want folder-based music browsing, I want to drag and drop music off my computer onto the iPad, and I want a simple interface that doesn't gently caress with playlists, albums, etc.

So, I've jailbroken, installed things like iFile, pwntunes, and none of that really fixes the problem. So, I've downloaded the Bongiovi thing, and it still has the playlist/album/artist aesthetic, which I'm starting to realize is just a box I'm stuck in.

So, before I finally pitch this thing and get an android device where I can just run some sort of winamp/foobar program with a file structure that makes sense so I never have to look at iTunes again, is there ANYTHING that can alter the user experience in iOS?

This is making me feel like Crusty McOldperson harder than anything else right now, because I'm not one of the cool kids that thinks iTunes style. :(
iTools but as an (ex-) massive hater iTunes really is pretty awesome if you stop resisting and get assimilated to the post-hierarchical-folder paradigm.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

And I'm totally biased towards iTunes myself, so I have to ask why you don't use iTunes and make playlists with folders of playlists? You can even do subfolders, and then browse the folders in the stock Music app.

I'm just wondering what your folders are, and since I've been using iTunes since like version 1.0 I could probably think of ways to use playlists and smart playlists to recreate what you are doing. Or, like randyest said, if you're trying to keep track of your mp3s on your computer, it can also be done in iTunes without having it sort your files, but who really, really needs to know where a mp3 file is when they're playing it?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Readdle Documents might work but I haven't messed with it for a whole bunch of songs...I just downloaded a song once and noticed it had music playback controls :effort:

If you wanted to stream stuff StreamToMe would work but otherwise I don't know/never really looked into local playback like that. Just give into the iTunes.

(Re read your post, you've been at this for over a year? :psyduck:)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
For those that use Splashtop, is it normal for the SRfeature process to eat up 30-50% of my CPU? If not, where would I start troubleshooting?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Quidam Viator posted:

You want to brute force something that even the original iPod has never supported since day one, that the whole philosophy of iTunes and Apple is not having to gently caress with folders and manually manage your music.

Just sell it and get something you can work with instead.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If he properly sorted and tagged his music, dropping everything into iTunes his experience on an idevice would be no different than folder based. I used to be like that until I sucked it up and stopped being lazy about properly tagging my music.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

What's a good Twitter client that will let me filter things? At the least, I want to be able to type in my own keywords, but if it can filter #tags, that'd be a nice bonus.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kheldarn posted:

What's a good Twitter client that will let me filter things? At the least, I want to be able to type in my own keywords, but if it can filter #tags, that'd be a nice bonus.

Tweetbot is both the best Twitter client and allows for all sorts of filtering.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Is there any distinct advantage to Instacast or Downcast or is it still a toss up? I'm finally tired of podcast.app acting crazy on me and I'm willing to try one of those two pay-for apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Aranan posted:

Is there any distinct advantage to Instacast or Downcast or is it still a toss up? I'm finally tired of podcast.app acting crazy on me and I'm willing to try one of those two pay-for apps.

You can't really go wrong. I fluctuate myself, but Downcast is probably my number one.

Instacast is working on a Mac version with syncing (non iCloud) between the two, if that's something that appeals to you.

• Locked thread