Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Terper posted:

The two above me are big fat liars, because Casual does change another thing: it allows you to save and keep going in the middle of battles, like in FE10. Other than that, identical.

I've never heard of anything like this. You're in no way penalised for playing casual.
Ye gods I always manage to forget about battle saves. Probably because I considered them cheating in RD and never used them :v:

As for the other, I was told that by someone who'd played the Japanese version; I cannot attest to its veracity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
It's true that you don't get Lunatic+ Classic if you beat Lunatic on Casual. I believe it was the same with Lunatic' in FE12.

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nakar posted:

Goddamn, there are some people out there on the internet who are really, really upset that Casual Mode even exists, despite the fact that they're going to play Classic. I guess this is why people make Lethality Streetpass teams.

Honestly, I think part of it is a fear that Classic will be removed and Casual will become the new standard.

Seeing tons of post about classic being too bullshit is really kind of disappointing, in a series where your fuckups are supposed to have consequences and where random chance can -and will- osccasionally screw you over. It's just part of the game, keep playing.

This is especially true for a first playthrough, when everything is new and exciting, I can't recommend playing on Classic mode enough. You might lose a couple of characters you wanted to use, but it's also a chance to try out some of your benchwarmers, and use the dead characters next time if you enjoyed the game enough.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I will never understand how people can actively want their video game to be less accessible to normal people. "I dont want my favorite game to turn a profit! Only us elite grognards should be able to figure this thing out :goonsay:"

Its a loving option, it doesnt change your experience at all. :psyduck:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

KoB posted:

I will never understand how people can actively want their video game to be less accessible to normal people. "I dont want my favorite game to turn a profit! Only us elite grognards should be able to figure this thing out :goonsay:"

It's funny you mention grognards because that's basically what pen-and-paper nerds think! And by 'basically' I mean 'literally'.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
"You should suffer as we did!"

Is basically the heart of it.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I'm still going to reload when someone dies, but replaying missions entirely from the start every time I do gently caress up massively (and I'm confident that I will) is the kind of thing that I know has put me off playing games before, so I'm going Casual. To compensate, I'm also bumping up to Hard when I would have played Normal.

Eventually.

loving EU delay

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You know, I've gotten too attached to save states for avoiding bullshit. I'm going to start the game on hard and play iron man style and just see how badly it goes. Then when Chrom or the Avatar die I'll restart and play it "properly" or whatever.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Lotish posted:

You know, I've gotten too attached to save states for avoiding bullshit. I'm going to start the game on hard and play iron man style and just see how badly it goes. Then I'll restart and play it "properly" or whatever.

That's what I'm doing, on Hard mode. It probably won't turn pretty.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Hard Mode best mode.

That may just be Radiant Dawn talking though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SMTxFire Emblem is old news.

Next stop, BleachxFire Emblem.

I mean seriously though. :psyduck:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Terper posted:

SMTxFire Emblem is old news.

Next stop, BleachxFire Emblem.

I mean seriously though. :psyduck:
I cannot watch this at work and I suspect I am extremely grateful for it! :argh:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

theshim posted:

I cannot watch this at work and I suspect I am extremely grateful for it! :argh:

It's just a Toonami Bleach hype clip with a "brought to you by Fire Emblem Awakening" thing at the end, not like an actual mishmash.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I have to admit it is kind of funny that this is the Fire Emblem game they advertise by saying 'your choices matter, your choices are permanent' and yet Classic mode sort of goes against that idea.

Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic that it's an option, it just contradicts the marketing a bit.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ok so Sully is totally the coolest character.

Now that I said that, Is there anyway to get master seals besides from the rare shopkeep? Most of my dudes are eligible to promote but I am limited by seals.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slate Action posted:

I have to admit it is kind of funny that this is the Fire Emblem game they advertise by saying 'your choices matter, your choices are permanent' and yet Classic mode sort of goes against that idea.

Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic that it's an option, it just contradicts the marketing a bit.

There are other choices in the game besides who lives/dies.

Evil Canadian posted:

Ok so Sully is totally the coolest character.

Now that I said that, Is there anyway to get master seals besides from the rare shopkeep? Most of my dudes are eligible to promote but I am limited by seals.

Regular stores start selling them fairly soon.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
How long do sidequests remain open?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Heavy neutrino posted:

How long do sidequests remain open?

Until you finish them.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

"The Vaike just got a whole lot Vaiker!" is probably my favourite thing ever.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It's just a Toonami Bleach hype clip with a "brought to you by Fire Emblem Awakening" thing at the end, not like an actual mishmash.

Which is disappointing because I was hoping it'd be more like this:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I have to admit, Bleach x FE still makes more sense to me than SMT x FE. I still havn't gotten my head around just what that game is going to be.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Marth DLC is now available to me. It's 2.50$, but it's free until 3/6.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

The Marth DLC is now available to me. It's 2.50$, but it's free until 3/6/

So is the game all its cracked up to be now that you've had a chance to dig into it? From the outside looking in, it seems like the perfect Fire Emblem experience.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Levantine posted:

So is the game all its cracked up to be now that you've had a chance to dig into it? From the outside looking in, it seems like the perfect Fire Emblem experience.

9 chapters in and it's fantastic. Pairing Up feels incredibly natural, and the game has more flavor then any FE game since PoR.

I was kinda skeptical about the writing going in, but the localization is great and I'm enjoying pretty much every character. I like anime normally though, so take my opinions with a grain of salt. Also Sully is probably one of my favorite characters in the series, everything she says is amazing.

e: So far, the only real flaw is that reclassing kinda just throws you in the water and expects you to swim. Without checking SF (and I'm going blind my first playthrough), it's hard to know when or what to change into.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 31, 2013

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

9 chapters in and it's fantastic. Pairing Up feels incredibly natural, and the game has more flavor then any FE game since PoR.

I was kinda skeptical about the writing going in, but the localization is great and I'm enjoying pretty much every character. I like anime normally though, so take my opinions with a grain of salt. Also Sully is probably one of my favorite characters in the series, everything she says is amazing.

e: So far, the only real flaw is that reclassing kinda just throws you in the water and expects you to swim. Without checking SF (and I'm going blind my first playthrough), it's hard to know when or what to change into.

You lucky duckies and your early release copies are getting me all excited! I also have a high anime-tolerance so that sounds pretty good. Despite the flaws everything I've seen points to near perfection so I kind of have ants in my pants waiting for next week. :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I already got an email from EBGames offering $25 trade credit for Fire Emblem.

The game's not even out yet and you can only get 60% for it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The first DLC map is funny, because the past characters use cropped versions of official art for their portraits, instead of their portrait from their own game. This makes some of the characters from early games look kinda stupid. (Let's just say Julia's looks are fitting of her heritage now.)

I'm actually surprised they're letting me download this, what with the game not being out and all.

e: Also there's no Marty in any of the DLC, this is bullshit Intsys. You give us loving Cyas and Dagda but no Marty?

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 31, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Cake Attack posted:

(Let's just say Julia's looks are fitting of her heritage now.)

Ha!

I don't have Canadian Privilege, so I'm still playing the demo:

Robin either seems to roll perfect or near perfect levels or... this.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Randomly decides to reclass Cordelia into a Mercenary, because Mercenaries are cool. In case anybody was unclear on the point, reclassing doesn't give you a stat penalties despite resetting your level. Your class bases will change and your stats will change accordingly, but you keep your stats otherwise.

Also the new class change music still isn't as good as in PoR, but they bring class changes being the apparent result of being struck by multiple bolts of lightning, so it's all good.

e: Probably should have waited until after the desert map to reclass one of my pegasus knights. Whoops.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Cake Attack posted:

The first DLC map is funny, because the past characters use cropped versions of official art for their portraits, instead of their portrait from their own game. This makes some of the characters from early games look kinda stupid. (Let's just say Julia's looks are fitting of her heritage now.)

I'm actually surprised they're letting me download this, what with the game not being out and all.

e: Also there's no Marty in any of the DLC, this is bullshit Intsys. You give us loving Cyas and Dagda but no Marty?
I'm curious, is there any description or something for the DLC that mentions what games the characters are from? I kind of want to see how NoA deals with telling the player about all those games that were never released here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Randomly decides to reclass Cordelia into a Mercenary, because Mercenaries are cool. In case anybody was unclear on the point, reclassing doesn't give you a stat penalties despite resetting your level. Your class bases will change and your stats will change accordingly, but you keep your stats otherwise.

Also the new class change music still isn't as good as in PoR, but they bring class changes being the apparent result of being struck by multiple bolts of lightning, so it's all good.

e: Probably should have waited until after the desert map to reclass one of my pegasus knights. Whoops.

Mercenaries are loving fantastic if just for Armsthrift but you lost a few levels that could have gone towards the attack again skill for it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One feature that I really wish was in the game was the ability to start characters off in different classes than their base class. Cherche's cleric sprite looks pretty awesome but I'm not going to reset her level back down to one just for that.

Though maybe to keep what'll be my 6th or so playthrough fresh I'll just rampantly reclass everyone off their base class in my first run of the english version.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Is there a list of anyone besides You, Chrom, and Marth that can't die, or of plot-critical characters that 'retreat' even on Classic mode?

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

He was too OP. He had to go or else he'd carry the entire team. I mean literally carry the team on his back.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm curious, is there any description or something for the DLC that mentions what games the characters are from? I kind of want to see how NoA deals with telling the player about all those games that were never released here.

Nope, nothing. All the characters get a generic "A mysterious traveller from the Outrealms" description.

Also, in case anyone cares, Marth's class is now Lodestar.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Francis posted:

Is there a list of anyone besides You, Chrom, and Marth that can't die, or of plot-critical characters that 'retreat' even on Classic mode?

I believe Frederick, Lissa, and paired mothers (i.e. ones that have actually reached S rank with someone) all retreat.

e: lodestar? I... guess that's a way to translate スターロード.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Is there a way to get random skirmishes to pop up more often asides from finishing a chapter?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Mercenaries are loving fantastic if just for Armsthrift but you lost a few levels that could have gone towards the attack again skill for it.

You mean Galeforce (Lightning Speed's new name), right? I think I'll level Cordelia to 10 in Merc, then move her into Dark Flier. It's the same amount of levels as if I leveled her to 20 then promoted (she reclassed at 10).

e: Also, I suppose I can confirm some localizations people may or may not know. Julia/Yuria is Julia, Nanna and Lilina are unchanged, Deirdre is also unchanged I think (is that what the patch uses?), and Alm is unsurprisingly Alm.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 31, 2013

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Does the AI ever use pair up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

You mean Galeforce (Lightning Speed's new name), right? I think I'll level Cordelia to 10 in Merc, then move her into Dark Flier. It's the same amount of levels as if I leveled her to 20 then promoted (she reclassed at 10).

You can only promote from Mercenary to the advanced Mercenary classes. You can cross-class from one of them to Dark Flier once you hit a high enough level in the promoted class though.

yellowcar posted:

Is there a way to get random skirmishes to pop up more often asides from finishing a chapter?

Purchase a Reeking Box item. This is pretty expensive on Hard or above though.

• Locked thread