Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Yeah, the only shame here is SG not getting its fair shot. But c'mon, it's Super Turbo. If there's a game that deserves to stay at Evo and never leave it's that granddaddy of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Yeah, I'm curious what platform ST would be run on. HDR on PS3 is really glitchy, but I guess it's the most likely. There's no way you could run an Evo size ST tournament on cabinet and Evo is console only anyway.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Transient People posted:

Yeah, the only shame here is SG not getting its fair shot. But c'mon, it's Super Turbo. If there's a game that deserves to stay at Evo and never leave it's that granddaddy of a game.

Yeah no other game really deserves a spot as much as ST, it is The Fighting Game.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

ZerodotJander posted:

Yeah, I'm curious what platform ST would be run on. HDR on PS3 is really glitchy, but I guess it's the most likely. There's no way you could run an Evo size ST tournament on cabinet and Evo is console only anyway.

Yeah, this is almost definitely 100% what will happen. If it is a main game I'll try to get my supergun out there if the community can organize a way to utilize it / them (I'm fairly certain I know of others who would do the same).

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Tom Cannon just tweeted this:

quote:

Recent ST donations are under review. If you want to donate to ST because you think it has a chance to win, pls hold off for now.

We'll see what happens there. Would be a shame if some of the donations were bogus for any game, really.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Don't get too excited yet..

https://twitter.com/ProtomCannon/status/297103451144482816

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
:ohdear:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Didn't the initial donation come in as a huge ~20K sum? Regardless of if it's legit or not that'd pretty easily call for an inspection.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Ugh, I half jokingly said last night I was afraid the ST donations were going to end up being some kind of scummy plot. I hope I'm wrong and it's just a precaution.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Why would you tell people to hold off on donating with six hours left?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

CVagts posted:

Because it's harder to catch fraudulence when you're getting flooded with inputs. It puts the actual necessary amount in flux as well, which means donors might put in too little money for what they want to achieve.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

CVagts posted:

Clearly the Smash Illuminati got him. :tinfoil:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Maybe I don't understand the fighting game community, but I don't agree with dissuading anyone from donating for breast cancer prevention/awareness.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

CVagts posted:

Maybe I don't understand the fighting game community, but I don't agree with dissuading anyone from donating for breast cancer prevention/awareness.

http://www.givewell.org/

If you really want to help human beings, there are much more efficient charities for your money. The Against Malaria Foundation can save a life with an anti-malarial bed net for African children for $5, doesn't that make more sense? If I donate to this, it is because of the Evo game. The fact that it goes to a nonprofit instead of some dude is a nice side benefit, but if I really wanted the money to do good for the world, I'd donate somewhere else.

It is kind of weak to discourage donating to a winning contender six hours before this thing ends. I hope it is resolved soon or the contest is extended.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Why doesn't evo use 360 again?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

RBX posted:

Deal with Sony, I think.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Yeah I think they get free PS3s, and also, the first next gen game they had was Tekken 5: DR, which was only on PS3. After you have a ton of PS3s, it's kind of expensive to switch, and the standard of having a PS2 -> PS3 converter was already established in the early PS3 days anyway.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Spooky, Art, Min, and Fooblat are doing a house stream to raise Super Turbo donations. Playing Marvel 3 now, there's some talk of maybe playing GGPO or showing footage of last year's Tournament of Legends later tonight.

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

Edit: I guess Fooblat's leaving.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 1, 2013

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

RBX posted:

e$$$ports

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Isn't Microsoft a hell of a lot more into the E-Sports scene than Sony?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

RBX posted:

This is just hearsay but I think it's because the EVO coordinators bought a ton of PS3's since Tekken 5 was PS3 exclusive, and after buying that many systems they just stuck with it.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

There's also that face that 99% of the community was PS2 and thus PS3 was the preferred platform for converting PS2 pads & sticks during that era.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Jesus Christ, melee just broke 45k in donations. Welp.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
And Super Turbo is sitting just below 39k. Ugh, here's hoping the Smash playerbase can behave themselves this time, even though we know that's not gonna happen.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 1, 2013

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Dr. Fetus posted:

And Super Turbo is sitting just below 39k. Ugh, here's hoping the Smash playerbase can behave themselves this time, even though we know that's not gonna happen

or that half the smash total is charged back/is fraudulent

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Are people really that bent up about the idea of Melee being at Evo? Why does it matter?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Though I'm one of the few people who really enjoy Smash games I'd actually prefer ST winning, since as a dumb stream monster it's the only game that I actually play against people who understand fighting games. Outside of Claw, the worst character ever made up to and including Brawl characters :argh:, everyone is interesting and fun to watch. And James Chen, somehow, wins games with Bad Character Cammy.

I do hope though that people won't grumble too much if Melee wins. I know that Smash has a terrible community, but honestly, it's not like the FGC is a shining star in that regard. For one, I still can't believe that the Cross Assault fiasco actually happened, in a sanctioned streamed event no less.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Tom Cannon killed ST.

e: I'm not annoyed at Melee winning, I'm annoyed at ST losing. ST is an incredible game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Are people really that bent up about the idea of Melee being at Evo? Why does it matter?

It's not the game itself I have a problem with, it's the community. Even though the fighting game community itself isn't that much better.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Because people remember how badly things went the LAST time Melee was at EVO?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shiki Dan posted:

Because people remember how badly things went the LAST time Melee was at EVO?

Badly for who? How many of you are even going to be there?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
A fair number of us, so you can safely drop the "lol who cares!" condescending shitheel approach.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Brosnan posted:

A fair number of us, so you can safely drop the "lol who cares!" condescending shitheel approach.

Who is "us"? I can guarantee the majority of people posting in this thread aren't gonna be there.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
It's been a while since I've been to a major tournament, but in my experience the Smash players tend to be the rudest and the smelliest.

If I was going to EVO, it would already going to be rude and smelly. Now, combine that with the turnout for Smash and you have a big ol' Rude and Smelly Hoedown Jambouri the likes of which your olfactory glands have never smelled before.

I'm just saying I wouldn't want to compound a problem that already exists, especially since quite a few goons actually go to EVO every year, and it's not fair to their sensitive noses. Just sayin'

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm going to Evo this year and have gone to smash tournaments in the past and I can tell you that the community really is that bad for Smash.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The most recent example of why people are unhappy about Smash people being at Evo would be Apex, which just happened like a month ago and involved enough theft of various tournament equipment and paraphernalia that the organizer isn't sure he'll even be able to host/run it next year.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
If anyone cares, I've been writing guides in the persona 4 arena thread trying to guide players from complete newbie level into mid/high level.
The game will be at EVO, so there's still time to pick it up and train. I don't think the level at EVO will be very high for the game save for the few japanese players who'll most likely attend.

I've tried to put emphasis in the learning phase, helping new, low and mid level players to level up rather than to build up a complete combo database for the characters I've made guides for.
They vary in style but I hope each one of them is helpful to someone.

You can check the thread here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3445921&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
and my guides here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3445921&userid=181713

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
If those ST donations turn out to be non-fraudulent they better extend the donation window by another day or something because this is stupidly unfair right now.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

If those ST donations turn out to be non-fraudulent they better extend the donation window by another day or something because this is stupidly unfair right now.

Yeahhh. It had some momentum going up until that tweet, then it just kinda stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Who is "us"? I can guarantee the majority of people posting in this thread aren't gonna be there.

I am, and I saw like 5 goons a last Evo.

• Locked thread