Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

absolutely anything posted:

ARE YOU READYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FOR SUPER SMASH BROS AT EVO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Uaap4TOkk

Hahahahah, holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Brosnan posted:

Hahahahah, holy gently caress.

Yeah that was certainly something.... :stare:

It makes me wonder how these people function in society and if they do other things besides Smash brothers. I mean drat, all you had to do with that TV was unplug the hotel box(call up the main desk and they send someone up to do it).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think its pretty funny that they called out ST under review and then see this and didn't say much about it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah that was certainly something.... :stare:

It makes me wonder how these people function in society and if they do other things besides Smash brothers. I mean drat, all you had to do with that TV was unplug the hotel box(call up the main desk and they send someone up to do it).

they dont function in society. they just sit on reddit all day

if for some reason you want to see them in real life goto the console gaming room of any anime convention. It will smell like balls and rancid oil and be full of white kids in their mid to late 20s calling each other friend of the family and human being with no irony.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 1, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fauxtool posted:

Well I guess that explains why the ones I've met get mad over consoles companies like it's 1994 and elevate Zelda, Samus, and Peach to false idols of worship.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 1, 2013

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I hope all of you going to evo this year will abide by the official rules please

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So uh... what exactly ARE you allowed to do?

And what is this Brawl Club, anyways?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The Dark Wind posted:

So uh... what exactly ARE you allowed to do?

And what is this Brawl Club, anyways?

Some sort of after school club for autistics?

Shoobis
Nov 10, 2009
I'm pretty sure the big donations all coming at once were because of people doing individual donation drives and then transferring it all to a few people and then they would donate the money. Also I've never seen competitive smash bros other than that wombo combo video

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

ARE YOU READYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FOR SUPER SMASH BROS AT EVO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Uaap4TOkk

I can understand him pointing a camera at the shower and being confused.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

It's hard to pick which rule is the best one. Maybe rock scissor paper for the smash ball.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm a big fan of the "permanently locked into one character unless you petition the group and a supermajority vote passes in favor of your switching" myself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair the rule about showing up dressed decently and washed would be a massive improvement for just about every fighting game community.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Grab them once and move on.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Personally the only bad experiences i've had with people at fighting game events, including times we've had smash on, has been when a marvel player from another town brought McDonalds food into the pub where we hold events (that serves food and does not allow bringing in external food) and when the two TOs were calling his name and telling him not to do it he ignored them (from 3 feet away), walked off then when another local player unaware of the situation said "Hey the TO keeps calling your name" he simply replied with "Deal with it.". So yeah there's scumbags everywhere :(

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

PonchAxis posted:

I think its pretty funny that they called out ST under review and then see this and didn't say much about it.

Presumably they have access to more information than us. Maybe there was good reason to believe that something was up with the ST donations. If there wasn't, though, things were pretty unfair for ST.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Ok back to not caring about fighting games bye

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
RIP pol.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fauxtool posted:

if for some reason you want to see them in real life goto the console gaming room of any anime convention. It will smell like balls and rancid oil and be full of white kids in their mid to late 20s calling each other friend of the family and human being with no irony.

Having been to several anime conventions, this is not accurate. The gaming rooms at the conventions I've been at have been some of the most mature and respectful gamin environments I've ever been in. Yeah, there was some good natured smacktalk, but nothing unreasonable and everyone was having a good time.

The stereotype of "gamers at anime cons are all horrible gross people" is just blatantly untrue.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

jivjov posted:

The stereotype of "gamers at anime cons are all horrible gross people" is just blatantly untrue.

Backing this with my experience, there's the occassional lack of manners and etiquitte, i.e. sitting on a set up for hours on end, but in general the stereotype doesn't fit.

The game room at my campus however fits it to a tee though.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

I hope all of you going to evo this year will abide by the official rules please

I remember the rules at CEO (or some other major) being a whole lot longer. Smash is already boring as gently caress so let's make it take even longer.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Brosnan posted:

Some of them said they would call their credit card companies and demand a chargeback on the donation if Smash didn't win.

I thought that was confirmed as a fake post?

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I'm a big fan of the "permanently locked into one character unless you petition the group and a supermajority vote passes in favor of your switching" myself.

You can only switch if you can build consensus. Occupy Melee.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Boxman posted:

I thought that was confirmed as a fake post?

The Facebook post about credit card fraud was, but the "we want our money back if Smash loses" deal seems to be thing in general.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
As inane as that ruleset is, it looks like it's for casual, 4-player, items-on, and brawl rather than melee. What do the rules for melee tournaments typically look like, anything outside of no items, final destination?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Fenn the Fool! posted:

As inane as that ruleset is, it looks like it's for casual, 4-player, items-on, and brawl rather than melee. What do the rules for melee tournaments typically look like, anything outside of no items, final destination?

They allow for more than just final destination. I think you can even play on poke floats and stuff.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Fenn the Fool! posted:

One that really irks me is a hard limit on number of ledge grabs. And the whole rigamarole about stage picks and counter picks.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Liar Lyre posted:

One that really irks me is a hard limit on number of ledge grabs. And the whole rigamarole about stage picks and counter picks.

Yeah I'd love to hear someone walk into a room of people playing smash and complain about too many ledge grabs. It's been many years since I played smash but anyone saying that would be laughed out of the room.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
melee's ruleset is much more concise compared to Brawl.

I don't care if you hate or love smash or whatever, but use the ruleset people for the game people were voting for!

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Are we really using random photos and videos to claim that all Smash players are terrible autists (and bronies, apparently)? From these very threads we can dig up many, many examples of FGC players being not exactly socially well-adjusted. Mew2King is a terrible person, but a lot of top Capcom players are not much better.

I'm certainly willing to believe that the Smash community is worse-behaving, on average. But a big reason for that is that the people have been working hard to clean up the FGC. I'm not sure what Smash people have done to put themselves beyond hope. I certainly don't know of any Smash equivalent to Dark Prince or Aris.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Who is "us"? I can guarantee the majority of people posting in this thread aren't gonna be there.

I'm late (since I haven't been reading the thread since last night), but yeah, you're seriously underetimating how many of the people in this thread are going to evo.

I'd say more than half of the outspoken people (more than that if you filter on US folks) here are going.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
My favorite glimpse at the Smash community was on time I was having dinner at my friends house and one of the other guys there was apparently a semi-serious Smash player. So after dinner and poo poo we end up playing Brawl, after playing for an hour he leaves immediately after upset with these complaints.

1. Standing at far range and using Din's Fire with Zelda in free-for-all is cheap
2. Using the button combo to start as Zero-Suit Samus or Shiek is somehow a cheat my friend hacked in the game
3. My friend was a character whore for playing 5 or 6 characters (I only decided to play as Zelda anyways)
4. My friend somehow hacked a stage into the game that doesn't actually exist in any version just to piss him off

He moved away a few months later and has never been seen since :allears:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah I'd love to hear someone walk into a room of people playing smash and complain about too many ledge grabs. It's been many years since I played smash but anyone saying that would be laughed out of the room.
Ledge grab limit is a part of the Brawl rule set as far as I know, which honestly is just watching Apex the last two years after Capcom games finished. There's also something about controller port choice because throw priority is determined by port or something like that.

With Melee, which I played a little bit of, there was just no items and something like six stages available for first game random select, then a few more available for counter picks.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I want the Evo tourney to be 2v2 or 4-player FFA with random stages and items set to default.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
I'm not gonna watch it no matter they do so they might as well have the rules they like in my opinion.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Oh cool, I guess this means I have about 3-4 hours during EVO weekend to do something other than watch Smash Bros! Echoing the awesome idea that is the breast cancer donation drive and the secondary fact that everyone gets time to go out for a jog, meet up with friends, put a roast in the oven.

Also

I know this is more club meeting rules and not the Smash 'official tournament' rules, but taunting is banned because... it makes people feel bad? :allears: Also the first two rules make it sound like some kind of probation meeting/ cult.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Tamagod Sushi posted:

I know this is more club meeting rules and not the Smash 'official tournament' rules, but taunting is banned because... it makes people feel bad? :allears:

Don't forget, last hit after KO was taken out of SF4 because the Japanese community complained it was disrespectful.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I like how they say the banned characters ruin the game's fun, yet ban like half the game's stages, most of the weapons, and situational reactionary moves, also the pausing to RSP the smash ball. Seriously pausing to see who gets the smash ball ruins the crazed mad dash to get it in the first place(where most of the action happens) that's the entire point of the Smash Ball.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

I like how they say the banned characters ruin the game's fun, yet ban like half the game's stages, most of the weapons, and situational reactionary moves, also the pausing to RSP the smash ball. Seriously pausing to see who gets the smash ball ruins the crazed mad dash to get it in the first place(where most of the action happens) that's the entire point of the Smash Ball.

Sounds like somebody isn't getting into The Brawl Club, then.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

You have to play rock-paper-scissors to use a smash ball wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lavareef
Feb 5, 2009

I'm in a TINY bit of trouble
I imagine the RPS starts to get more hype than the actual match.

• Locked thread