Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If you missed it in the OOC thread, I need a character portrait or a usable map pog from everyone.

The sound of a chair scraping against hardwood interrupts hips chat as Richard rises, clearing his throat. "I take it you all know what to do. Remember, this is to confront the man in courts, legally at a later point. A bunch of criminal acts will just burn your own asses later and make my job harder and if you really botch it, we're not dropping one blood-soaked copper on you." He gives a brief point to Barnabus with index and middle fingers in a little gun-finger salute and makes his way out of the tavern. Barnabus returns the goodbye and lets out a yawn, starting to rise. All of his bouncers seem to have stepped into the fireplace lounge and are crowding it up a bit, but with a wave Barnabus has them fall back to at ease and half of them leave the bar entirely. "Feel free to enjoy my grand hospitality as long as you like, but do get the job done before the night is out."

Hecate: Barnabus heads for the back door, the rest of the bouncers falling in behind him. The path takes him past Hecate, who he beckons to join the entourage briefly. The back corridor leads past a kitchen with a great deal of heat coming from the swinging doors and a small, tidy office. He starts in with an almost fatherly tenderness. "Miss Hecate, you've done very well, and I know what we've tasked you with here will be simple for your talents." The tips of his mouth curl up and his teeth gleam with a bit of sunrod light, a bit of menace reserved for business. "Carbon is too big a player in this town, and I need something more. Whatever you dig up in his charming manor, I want an exclusive piece of it. You bring me that and I think it would be about time for you to start getting ahead in Geareg, wouldn't you?" One of the goons has retrieved a fine overcoat and helps the boss slide it on before Barnabus gives you an affectionate two-finger pat on the cheek. "On the sly, of course." And with that, he departs out the back.

The sun has finished setting and the stars compete with the new-fangled electric lighting.

When you're ready to enter the manor, post how you're doing it. i.e. Joining the Group meeting Carbon, Sneaking in through the Sewers, Hopping the Fence and Scouting the layout, Doing Something Else, etc.

Somber Hill House earned it's name-changes the hard way, the original Dwarven construction providing a solid, blocky little trading outpost and fort for any Dwarven curiosities about the land above. As the centuries passed settlers began to add a Human touch with a sprawling frontier town that was battered ferociously by Ithor's grand siege. The Hill House found itself host to the medical needs of those enduring the siege even as the Mindless Legion threatened to overrun the rails and begin flooding into the Dwarven capital below. Now like so much of the city, Somber Hill House has endured and it's scarred past has been built over, solid Dwarven stone-work bearing a tribute to Human elegance. The manor is built along the main stone-work road and an acre around it have been reserved and cleared for a pretty park landscape that withers with the coming of winter. The new manor is three stories tall and the stonework beneath it is still visible, with a small exposed spot where the new waterworks join the old and drop down beneath the streets.

Built in the center of Geareg and providing the starting point for the rest of the inner-city districts that define the wealthy's desire to build upon prestigious stone, you're free to walk along the streets bathed in the lights of metallic street-lamps. A pair of armored guards tend to the open front gate and occasionally interview a passerby, either denying them access or letting them in. You can reliably find manhole covers on every adjacent block and along the street the manor itself is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl Whose Laughter Stinks of Killing

Thorgeisl ignores the lady talk. He always knew the dwarves were savage people, but to be so blind. Well it was none of his business if the Dwarf could not tell male from female.

He finally speaks up, "Well I am hardly the stealthy type." He indicates Oreom, wistfully remembering when he himself once had the strength of ten men, "perhaps the two of us can accompany anyone meeting with this Corporal Carbon, under the guise of bodyguards."

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Oreom Bonne

Oreom flashes his grin at Thorgeisl easily. "Right as a compass stuck'n East," he agreed. And just like that, when Richard and Barnabus decided the business was done, so too did he. He didn't care who came along with him and who ended up stinking up the sewers, since it might as well have been a roll of a die to determine who was going to actually prove competent and who wasn't, and he was just clever enough to know that if he kept snooping around them about what they were doing with their share of their inevitable reward they might just catch on that he was casing them to see if he could horn a higher percentage out of the crew. As it was, he left his second mug half finished on the table, pushing his chair back and twisting his hand into the air in something that wasn't quite a salute or a farewell, but thankfully just stopped shy of being an outright rude gesture as he left.

It wasn't, to his credit, to just go find a place that had better booze than BeBe's. Instead, Oreom meandered his way to the manor itself, looking it over from a distance before he takes up residence loitering around the park, leaning up against a street lamp and enjoying his pipe and the peoplewatching alike. Particularly, watching the people who were approaching the manor, and taking note of whether he could actually notice any obvious signs of who was being admitted and who was being turned away that they might have been able to use.

Perception check 1d20+8 18

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Figuero Yhong

Through the din of the chattering pub, a slight knock is heard. The light redwood quarterstaff of Figuero Yhong tap's the ground faintly enough for only patrons seated at the nearest table picked up their heads. With voice enough to be heard he spoke. "Greetings fellow travellers"

With that he gingerly rest his staff on his shoulder, and took a seat. "If he means to restore the once-hospital he must also seek healers and medcinemen."

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 31, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Vanessa Carmine Staere of Draunt

Nessa stood early, as Richard and Barnabus were leaving.
"Well, I'm sure you'll figure something out. I'll be upstairs, having a nice chat with this Carbon fellow. See you all then, maybe. Well, hopefully not."

~~

Still in the early evening, a horse came clopping down the road, nice and leisurely, ridden by a heavily armored knight. Her helmet was slung over her back, softly clunking against her shield, showing her easy smile in the dim light of the streetlamps.
She stopped at the gate, addressing the guards.

"Evenin' gents. I heard the Colonel's looking for old soldiers who're out of work, eh?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hecate

Hecate gives a teasing smile to Barnabus as they talk on the way outside the bar. "Please, my success rate is far too great on those affairs. The matter of the companions i am stuck with though... Anyway, I did know you wanted something from Carbon, just assumed it was his head. Don't worry, my dear Barney, I will do my best to assure that whatever he has... Will be ours as well." She crosses her arms as Barnabus and his men leave the place, muttering something to herself after he's out of view. "He's right on that. Geareg is a good place for new beginnings. Even for the accursed."

~*~

The Sorceress looked at the Hill House being bathed by moonlight. It is a quite somber-looking place, and solid as well. What place is better for a former soldier? - Thought Hecate as she walked to the large metal doorway, Thorgeisl and Oreom at her side as her bodyguards. She and Barnabus spent some time making a cover for her as an Arms Dealer, looking to peddle cannons and other weapons of note to Carbon. "Good evening. I believe i have been invited here by Master Carbon." She says to the guards, lowering her cloak and revealing her strangely attractive pale face, a cold smile on her lips as she stares at them.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar stands and brushes himself off before muttering, "I am capable of a certain amount of stealth. As any deep delver is, I will go with the stealth group."

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Welp, guess we'll look around for the grates and such that would lead to a sewer line.

That's 13 + 7 = 20 on Perception.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

When the time comes it is a simple matter for Thorgeisl to take on the appearance of a simple bodyguard, a tough only useful for his muscle. Yes Thorgeisl is far weaker than he once was, going from beyond the mortal pale to actually below average. Yet his weakened state is not visible, the massive half-giant still has the stature and apparent mass of his kind.

Of course he leaves the talking to Hecate, though he has gained some skill with words since his horrific transformation it would not do to break character.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Confidently striding to the front gates with poise and grace, Fig' enters through the front, courting the noble colonel as an employer.

Diplomacy roll check: 1d20+7 27

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui falls in with lefty, knowing the sewers of the city well enough given her leanings. She assists him in the search:

[4] 13-01-31 13:15:09 CET - belmarduk@gmail.com

perception assist

1d20 +5
16 + 5 = 21

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Face Team (Oreom, Hecate, Vanessa, Figuero, Thorgeisl)

Oreom, Perception: You gain a +1 Circumstantial Bonus to all Charisma Related Skills in infiltrating the Manor. You can share this with the others in the Face Team.

Figuero, Diplomacy: A smashing success. You can join with the others in a single meeting party or meet the Colonel as a separate appointment.

The guards are allowing in people who can prove their credentials or impress them. Obvious hucksters get the (in one case literal) boot and thrown out on their rear end by the pair of Human men in some impressive, fresh-forged Half-Plate with the curious logo of a Castle above a Key with noble colors of fierce, crimson red and glorious gold. A dark-skinned man with a short cropped haircut and a fearsome cleft chin-butte does all the talking while his fellow looks bored with some blonde locks poking out of the helmet he's wearing with a poor fit. Both men have swords at their sides and fine rifles on their backs but no other supplies save for what they'd fit in their pockets and the doorman has his helmet slung over his back.

Vanessa is the first to approach and receives a casual wave. He gives you a quick look-over and seems satisfied if stoic. "You've heard right. If you could tell me your name and of your service or your Lord's House, we'll have a boy tend to your horse and you can come on in."

So far, so good. Hecate's next up and her alibi is covering for Oreom and Thorgeisl, as well as Oreom bringing the +1 Circumstantial Skill(Cha) bonus to them if he wishes. The Knight gestures to his fellow and eventually gets a bit of parchment, which he unrolls and checks. "Right, you're expected Madam. Head right on..."

Figuero comes up in a whirlwind of fancy words, dropped names and upper-class hinting. The Knight stammers for a moment, then sharpens up and salutes you all crisply before leading you all in. Vanessa, you can fall in with the others or enter on your credentials he asked for earlier.

The manor interior opens with a touch of class thrust upon the humble, the ground beneath you on the first floor still made of crafted stone. Ornamental lanterns in chandelier provide a warm glow to the and the hall leads to descending stair-wells on either end, Left or Right. Next to the stone stairs are wooden doors leading into a red-carpeted foyeur, a pair of sprawling stair-ways with dainty little wooden railings leading up to the second floor. A set of cushioned sofas are set out and the entire room has been cluttered with fantastic little trinkets, with small wood-carved foot-stools of Ostorn-make or decorated silk pillows from Draunt's finest. If you shove some aside you may actually be able to find a decent place to sit and a small table between the sofas has a platter of fresh fruit and a pitcher of water with stacked glasses. For all the garish splendor, the walls are barren.

Once you've all come in the Knight speaks. "If you'll pardon the wait, I will summon the Colonel for you." He departs.

Sneak Team (P'ui, Olimar, Lefty)

Lefty and P'ui, Perception With Assist: Hopping the fence far away from the entrance, you stalk along the sloping bit where the road is raised a bit above the manor's landscape, sneaking through carefully trimmed bushes and tall grass. You discover a grate that leads into the sewers around the base of the manor, close enough to see where half of the top floor of the original Dwarven fort pokes out over the soil. It comes undone with enough elbow grease and you're able to drop in one-way.

There are no light-sources, but P'ui and Olimar have Darkvision going out to 60 feet. You stand in the middle of an identical tunnel that stretches both ways without feature, foul-smelling water rushing by. To the East, you can see faint white light outlining the spaces in the cobble-stone, pulsing dimly with a heart-beat frequency. Across the water-way you can see a similar set that appears to be broken up and barely connected.

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar rustles around in his pack and pulls out a torch, handing it to Lefty, still unlit "Sorry, I didn't realize you were male, you don't even have a proper beard." He makes a grumbling sound and heads east towards the light, approaching cautiously.

Dungeoneering 1d20+6 12

Perception(Stonework) 1d20+10 19

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Sewer Team (P'ui, Lefty, Olimar)

Olimar, Dungeoneering: Standard Dwarven architecture, lifted straight from Geareg Below to Geareg Above. The larger walkways in the sewers favor walking from destination to destination and suggests you'll find doors along this route. You don't know enough of surface oddities to decipher this odd glowing.

Olimar, Perception: You can make out something ahead. Looks like torchlight.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Nessa smiles.
"Vanessa Carmine Staere of Draunt. I believe I'm still a knight, but Lord Pembrook is quite dead and Ikora not really inhabitable. You know, the business with the ship and those tentacle things, near the end of the war? Trying to get away from all that."
She shuffles in her bag for something, bringing out a small, folding identification book.
"See? I've got the Staere signet somewhere around here too, if it's needed."

After getting through, giving her horse a goodbye pat, and arriving at the reception room, Nessa relaxes, gazing around a the interior, and giving Hecate a little wave, and a wink.
"Thanks for the tip about this, by the way."

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar moves back quickly, stopping Lefty from lighting the torch he handed him, muttering, "Ahead, torchlight... you humans really should develop some underground seeing... I don't want to draw their attention with us having a light." He curses slightly under his breath.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Much obliged." She nods at the two guards while waving at Thorgeisl and Oreom to follow her inside.

After entering the Manor she takes a small look at her surroundings, giving a thorough look at the decoration and anything around it. Something to dig up... Perhaps looking for any traces of magic could work, but it would need her to be on a more seclude space in order to prevent anyone from hearing her incantations. Meanwhile, however... The undercover sorceress gives a quick nod at Vanessa, relieved at the group apparently managing to enter the place. She makes a gesture to the Knight who announced Carbon's presence. "Please tell him that Scarlet is just waiting for his presence."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

P'ui

P'ui creeps ahead towards the edge of the light, trying to get a glimpse of what, if anything lies ahead.

Stealth roll: 1d20+14 22

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 1, 2013

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Figuero
Figuero thanks the Knight profusely, waving his hand and muttering a small blessing of good fortune on the man as he passed him by.
He makes certain to count soldiers and otherwise uniformed personnel on the grounds, trying to estimate their martial capacity, while making his way merrily into the grand stone structurePerception roll 24

Impressed by the large collection of trinkets and baubles, Figuero stalks the room about looking for some semblance of pattern or meaning to them all, taking care to try and ascertain if any should have magical or religious significance.
Knowledge Arcana Dice Roll 16
Knowledge Religion Dice Roll 8

Satisfied with his findings, Figuero steps to the table and sniffs the food tentatively, instead of indulging only in fresh bread and water from his rations. Procuring a small napkin from the his pockets, he wipes his lips and dusts the crumbs from his chest before losing the napkin into the fold of his robes. Finding a remote corner of the room with enough clear space for him to sit he places his staff in his lap as his eyes close into a quit meditation.

((edit: fixed inaccurate roll))

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Lefty whispers, "Sorry chief, must've left my Cannith goggles in my other pants. I'll just stay back here while you two go investigate anything immediately dangerous then, shall I?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Figuero, Perception: Your eyes are sharp, but you can't get a good count of how many men are on the grounds as there just aren't any around. It is the middle of the night, after all. You can hear the murmur of a crowd coming from the stairs leading down into the fort, though.

Figuero, Knowledge: Nothing magical or religious here. Perhaps nobility enjoy the collection of charming little knick-knacks.

After several minutes, a jaunty voice beckons from the floor above. "Salutations, Salutations! I hope you haven't been kept long!" It seems the good Colonel has arrived and the empty second floor is now flanked by 4 men in the colored Half-Plate. The man at the top of the stairs is clearly an older man, with a handsome face and a stern look that he's softened just for you. Though not wearing any heavy armor his officer's armor is a fine leather make with a great emblem of the Draunt Wind Riders. He has a sheathed officer's cavalry broad-sword at his side and he's shed any gloves for this meeting, two rings clear on the right hand and one on the left, all simple designs of copper, one with a small gemstone embedded.

Carbon comes down the stairs at a quick pace and works a salesman's pace across the lobby, managing to shake everybody's hands before they know his name. "Nicolas Carbon, good to see you. Hey, these guys are huge! I like your style, m'lady. House Pembrook, eh? Your survival does them an honor. And I hope I'm not disturbing your meditations, pal." He shakes Figuero's hand last, catching him in the corner for a moment and giving him a generous forearm pump before practically winking. He lets go and whirls about to the center of the room, hands held up with palms to the ceiling. "Now I've been told you're all here with some different aims, but the opportunity I have for you can be spoken to everyone!" He drops one hand and gestures to the stairs with the other. "And if that's satisfactory, we can finish the business talk separately after my little proposal, hmm?" He's at the foot of the stairs before anyone can agree with it, then gives everybody a little tilt of the head and shift of the eyes to encourage them to follow, grinning.

Sewer Team (P'ui, Olimar, Lefty)

P'ui, Stealth: You begin moving quietly through the sewers, passing fearlessly over the odd light. It feels irritable and prickles the skin but has no pronounced or lasting effects. You creep up to the corner and peer around, discovering a source of torch light, seeing further down a hall that leads off the sewer tunnel and seeing the room recess.

You can hear a very dull grinding noise that starts and stops irregularly. You're in a good position to scout, so you're able to safely and automatically check around the next corner and get the lay of the next room, where a large, goofy bear-hound is sitting in the middle of a room full of stone debris and a few dried out skeletons with nothing worn. This dog is the size of a small-bear and a little on the chubby side, but he has a certain regal charm with his golden fur. He is very distracted by his toothy interrogation of a femur, but you can spot a door(green highlight) near him. Approaching the door or passing by this little recess will prompt Stealth Checks from Lefty and Olimar.

The stone-work of the recessed chamber is obviously a recent addition and a small torch burns dimly on the wall, almost exhausted.

Full Map

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 1, 2013

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui pulls a blowdart her pack and dips it in a vial of drow poison, coating the needle thoroughly. Raising it to her lips, she fires the silent weapon at the distracted dog.

Attack roll ; blowdart gun: 1d20+6 25

I'm assuming the above hits (he should be flat footed since i'm undetected), so damage is 1 for the dart, plus sneak attack:
Sneak attack damage: 1d6 3

Additionally, he needs to make a DC13 fortitude save or be poisoned. If he succeeds, he needs to save again in 1 minute or be knocked unconscious for 2d4 hours.

The blowdart gun is a silent weapon so it should not have immediately given away my position. Per stealth rules, sniping allows me to re-attempt stealth at -20. If you feel like giving me a circumstance bonus for this for using a silent weapon doom, that's rad, but there's nothing in the rules about it beyond a blurb that says the blowdart gun is a silent weapon.

restealthing after sniping, he has to oppose this with perception: 1d20-6 9

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

(I think at best you'd get a +2 circumstance bonus to drop it to -18.)

P'ui successfully shoots the dog, which prompts him to sit up with perked ears. He drops his bone and seems to be very intently aware... he does a small circle while furiously sniffing the ground, crosses along the east wall and comes up to P'ui with tail wagging and a little bit of panting. It seems the poison has had no effect.

Although not attacking, the dog does begin to bark very loudly.

Dog
HP: -4 of ??/??
Poisoned(Save in 9 Rounds)
AC: Easily less than 20
Fortitude: Above Average
Perception: Well-trained, Scent

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
: "Shh! Sit! Who the hell puts a guard dog in a sewer anyway?!"

With a Handle Animal roll of 8, Lefty utterly fails to subdue the dog with verbal commands.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"It is a pleasure to make an acquaintance of you, Colonel." Hecate gives a small curtsy at Carbon, smiling as she gives the man a full examination with her eyes. Quite an eccentric behavior he exhibits for a veteran soldier, perhaps it's what the Richard fellow talked about earlier? "My, my, it must be quite the proposal if you are willing to extend it to these... Gentlefolks?" She says while looking at Vanessa and Figuero. They entered with different Alibis, why are they being called as well? Something is afoot, but the Sorceress can't do much except than to follow Carbon upstairs.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Oreom Bonne

Oreom makes a face as though he'd smelled something foul by the time Carbon is done with his prancing appearance, darting his eyes toward Thorgeisl. Maybe he'd be a comrade in arms for the evening in being annoyed by vapid posturing? Really, more likely than not Oreom was just tweaked off that he couldn't be the one posturing instead, especially since the man was wearing copper jewelry. What did he have to brag about, really? "Means any idiot can do wh'evver he wants of 'em," he muttered under his breath to the guarded body beside him, folding his arms lazily over his chest.

Granted, that seemed to fit their own little sojourn given the likelihood of their lot falling in, but first come, last insulted. If people started making a habit of including him in situations where the only requirement was having a pair of working hands, he'd likely start questioning his self worth! .. nah.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl makes as if to intercept Colonel Carbon when he approaches Hecate, but stops as if from a secret signal from the lady. He frowns all the same. Secretly he agrees with Oreom on the sight before them, but he is committed to playing the act of bored, and perhaps a bit simple, bodyguard.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Carbon leads the way to the second floor and further into the manor. You pass by another hallway set-up where the mansion joins the original stone-work, the fine wood-working giving way to a knob of stone holding a stair-way at the buildings perimeter. "It's the plan of a lifetime and you're all here to do business with me, so you'll all get the same crack at it! Rest assured, there's more than enough coin to go around. We'll chat in my office."

Walking through the manor, there are quite a few rooms and most of them behind closed doors, but a few are visible as hired help come and go, one being shadowed by a nervous looking teenage half-orc boy who is visibly startled to see the party come and go, but hastily pulled along by a butler warning him to "Mind Sir Carbon's guests and stay out of there way."

Carbon: "Hiring half-ogre? Not bad for one-offs, but I like a bit more loyalty in my men, if you know what I mean."

Lefty has moved adjacent to the dog. Passing through the white light produces no effects or even odd feelings for you, Lefty. Your Handle Animal check doesn't work very well, though it does get the Dog's attention and he continues barking while trying to rise up on his hind legs and playfully press against your chest.

P'ui's poison will roll for the secondary effect in 7 rounds. At the end of the hallway ahead, a stone stairwell going up becomes visible in dim-light being cast down it.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui pats the dog on the head and then runs back the way she came.

(trying to lead the dog away)

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Lefty doesn't have a biscuit on him, but does have some rope!

: "Here now, boy! Play a little game, eh? Come on, tug with me! Whoosa good boy, then? Whoosa good boy?!" Lefty isn't shouting, of course, but he's acting very excited to get the dog to play along. Lefty waves the rope around in front of the dog's nose, inviting it to grab on. A dog with its mouth busy pulling isn't able to bark, after all, just do that throaty growly thing dogs do when they're enjoying themselves.

This Handle Animal roll is a better 18, perhaps breaking 20 with any circumstance bonuses for using the right tool for the job and inviting a big dumb sluffy dog to do what it clearly wants to do anyway.

Rtwo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 1, 2013

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Figuero

Graciously rising for his host, Figuero welcomes the Colonel's greeting and follows him to the second floor. On hearing Carbon quip upon the loyalty of half-breeds, Figuero calmly reminds the Colonel "My travels have taught me that friends may come from the strangest of places..."
Sense Motive on Carbon 16

malikial
Jan 26, 2013
Olimar moves forward to near where the lights are and turns the corner, he sees them playing with the barking dog and lets out a slight curse before drawing his huge composite longbow and an arrow, waiting and watching the door at the other end of the hall, he mutters, just loud enough to carry. "Calm the dog down, he's gonna draw attention... if he hasn't already... Light in the far stairwell... Prepare yourselves!"

Stealth roll Natural 20 makes 25

Olimar recedes into the shadows like the deep delver he is and nocks an arrow, ready to act.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa smiles at Carbon at the first greeting.
"Colonel Carbon! So nice to meet you. Your estate is fantastic."

~~

She follows Carbon at his proposal, glancing at Hecate. "Of course, I'm interested."
She gazes around at the mansion as they walk through it.
"Though really, I am looking for something more permanent, if possible. You would not believe the number of times some village or another has gotten me to clear out bandits or wolves or goblins or the like, and always for a pittance. Tried to leave that constant fighting for little reward business behind, eh?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hecate tries to glance at something of interest on the many open doors as she follows Carbon and the others, but it appears there are too many distractions that prevent her from doing any precise examinations. She can't help but sigh when the Colonel expresses his disgust against half-humans, and wonders what would happen were he to know about her true origins... "I can't help but to wonder what kind of business is that, Sir."

6 on a Perception check to investigate the Manor.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Lefty keeps his tone excited and light, since the dog can't understand his actual words.

Probably.

: "I'm tryin'! Gotta get the good little boy to stop makin' all that noise, yes we do! Yes we do! Keep alert for trouble while I try to wrestle 'im outta the way, wouldja?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Hecate, Perception: Nothing out of the ordinary.

Figuero, Sense Motive: Nick Carbon may have a few thorns but he seems to be genuine. Perhaps he hasn't adapted to being a businessman quite so well?

Sentiments of friendship? Rude gestures to the giant duo? He's got no time or intent to respond! "Bandits and goblins, eh? I've got a plan for that too... but my business is one of a kind. War iss over, siege is broken, aliens aren't at our doorstep anymore. A lot of men, they see that, they're relieved. And a lot of them are stuck. They've spent years fighting and fighting is all they know!" Carbon leads you down a hall and around a corner, moving into the center of the second floor. You pass a small open-air cluster of 4 small rooms, each home to a military-grade cannon on a pedestal, like a private museum set-up. At the far end of the room are a set of wooden double doors that Carbon throws open, leading the way into his office. Everything has a bit of an over-done and garish quality, like a sensible set of furniture was carved out of fine wood and then trimmed with too much gold. A metal cabinet rests in one corner, a large desk placed near a window in the back-center of the room and the rest of it is dedicated to glass window display racks of fine vintage firearms, a few freshly made, some marked with use and a few others very old or discontinued types barely held together by nails, wraps, rust and spite.

He stops in front of the desk and turns to face your group again. There's an opaque glass case on the desk, a small stack of at last a half-dozen closed envelopes shoved away from it to the desk's edge with a fine letter-opener. "Now what I propose here is also the first of it's kind. The honorable last stand of Lord Pembrook aside, I trust you've all felt the impact of this terrible war?"

Olimar, Stealth: Perfectly done, you pass the light without a stray feeling from it and take up position.

Lefty, Handle Animal: You're able to guide the dog further south and move with P'ui, but you can only bring him so far before he becomes very, very stubborn(Str or significantly better Handle Animal to move) and stops playing with the rope, refusing to enter the sewers themselves. He sniffs at the air furiously and attentively looks from left to right before starting to trot back towards the bone pit.

A guard arrives, a knight in half-plate with the red/yellow of Carbon's number, matching those you saw at the front of the manor. Carrying a torch, lazily holding a rifle by his hip. The dog rushes over to him and lavishes him with affection, batting at his legs with little half-hops.

The stairs are in clear sight now and the Dog will roll secondary for poison in 4 rounds. The guard seems a bit oblivious, but gives the darkness of the sewer tunnel a hard look. "Easy boy, easy. No dead today or ever again." Dog lets out a little whine.

The guard and the dog are considered flatfooted to you three and are completely unaware. The Dog is 70 feet away and the Guard is 75 feet away.

Guard Flatfooted
Holding Torch, Rifle drawn, Sword sheathed
AC: Wearing Half-Plate

Dog Flatfooted
HP: -4 of ??/??
Poisoned(Save in 4 Rounds)
AC: Easily less than 20
Fortitude: Above Average
Perception: Well-trained, Scent

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 2, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa raises an eyebrow.
"Colonel, I have had a positive surfeit of 'the war.' If I wanted more of it I could be up north aiding the reconstruction."
She leans her head to the side, looking at the things on his desk.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Felt the impact of War? Oh if he means being orphaned and forced away from her previous life, yes, she was impacted. But that is not the sort of answer that Hecate must give to him right now, so there shall be some more probing of his intentions for now. "Well, it appears it's not your intention to beat swords into plowshares for the moment, Colonel. Do you have any use for those men who wish to continue fighting?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Thorgeisl more than most has felt the sting of the war, his very being altered in bizarre ways. But this was not the time nor place to deal with such things, for now he can merely play his part and listen carefully while seemingly keeping an eye out for threats for his charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
P'ui turns to the others. "This one will create a distraction. When it is apparent, They will go to the door, though their sight will fail them. Move under hush of step and hope the Ape is too dull or superstitious to think Dark Deeds are afoot"

P'ui moves down the passageway, clinging to the wall. She checks to see if the door is locked.

Stealth: 1d20+14 20

• Locked thread