Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Someone was nice enough to post this in the Nintendo Power thread in GBS, and I knew for sure you guys would like it (and probably miss his post):

http://imgur.com/a/PxHCr
Binders the Nintendo Power game counselors used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Someone was nice enough to post this in the Nintendo Power thread in GBS, and I knew for sure you guys would like it (and probably miss his post):

http://imgur.com/a/PxHCr
Binders the Nintendo Power game counselors used.

I knew the binders existed because of the Wizard.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
You watched The Wizard for the video game side story? I watched it for the heart-warming story of the kid from The Wonder Years and the girl from Rilo Kiley determined to help an autistic kid find himself in California, when he was where he belonged all along...in our hearts.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
For anyone in the Chicagoland area, Galloping Ghost is having a swap meet tomorrow starting at 11AM.

Galloping Ghost posted:

Join us on SATURDAY 02/02/2013 - Starting at 11AM

Galloping Ghost Arcade will holding its first of what will be an annual VIDEO GAME SWAP MEET!

We will open our private gaming rooms to all that want to come in and buy, sell, or trade video game or arcade related items.
From old or newer games, vintage systems, arcade boards, fight sticks, controllers, figurines...anything gaming related
will be allowed.

Admission will only be the regular $15 to the arcade floor and that day will include full access to the swap meet.

There will be 8 tables set up in our private gaming rooms that can be reserved on a first come, first served basis.
We are aiming to have 3 separate, 3 hour blocks that are available: 11am-2pm, 3pm-6pm, and 7pm-10pm. We have purposely
left an hour in between time slots to allow the previous person to pack up their items without being rushed. They may be
an additional fee for reserving a table...we will post more info on this as soon as possible.

If you are looking for specific things, the events' Facebook page would be a great place to post what you need so people can bring them if they have them.

Galloping Ghost Arcade is not responsible for any private video game transaction that happen during the swap meet.

You will never know what you'll find, and you'll never know who will show up.

We don't have a best guess as to how big this will be and therefore ask for everyone's patience.

I know I'll sure as hell be there.

There is also currently a Groupon available for passes in lots of 2 for $14 or 4 for $24. I sure as hell bought THAT, too.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 2, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

This was a cool find:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I tried swapping gba shells. One of the screws on the motherboard decided it was going to stay put no matter how hard I tried to unscrew. I respected it's resilience and put the whole back together before I made things worse.

Nes shell or not, the ags 101 screen is super-sweet.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Very happy with my first SFC cart haul from Amazon via Tenso. Most of these were listed as "acceptable" condition and they're practically pristine.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

zari-gani posted:

Very happy with my first SFC cart haul from Amazon via Tenso. Most of these were listed as "acceptable" condition and they're practically pristine.

In japan complete boxed games are far more common so anything missing usually slashes the price fairly decently.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

That's a nice selection for avoiding the high US prices there. I wouldn't be shocked if the entire haul plus shipping was less than 1/10th what you'd pay for a loose Earthbound cart these days.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah a lot of marketplaces will require you to list a game as only Acceptable at best if the game is being sold as cartridge or disc only.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Out of curiosity why is the audio better when not tapped from the headphone jack? I gotta admit I do kind of like that I can control the volume to my TV with the volume slider. :3:

To expand a bit on what flyboi said, the audio going through the headphone jack passes through an amplifier circuit that's likely not of especially good quality. And 3.5mm headphone jacks aren't the best quality since there's just a tiny little tab of metal to bridge the connection (2x connections actually, since it's stereo) -- more surface area = better conductivity (e.g. compare to red/white RCA audio plugs, where each channel has its own connector, and the plugs are designed to let a lot of metal come in contact). And the volume slider is another "moving part" for the circuit to traverse where fidelity can be lost.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah a lot of marketplaces will require you to list a game as only Acceptable at best if the game is being sold as cartridge or disc only.

Amazon's guidelines has something like this. Of course, Amazon sellers don't follow this at all :v:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Also the amplifier circuit is notorious for causing the audio to distort when you crank the audio on a model 1

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

h_double posted:

To expand a bit on what flyboi said, the audio going through the headphone jack passes through an amplifier circuit that's likely not of especially good quality. And 3.5mm headphone jacks aren't the best quality since there's just a tiny little tab of metal to bridge the connection (2x connections actually, since it's stereo) -- more surface area = better conductivity (e.g. compare to red/white RCA audio plugs, where each channel has its own connector, and the plugs are designed to let a lot of metal come in contact). And the volume slider is another "moving part" for the circuit to traverse where fidelity can be lost.

And just when I settled on trying to find a model 1 and a headphones-to-component adapter to have the best Sega sound possible. :argh:

flyboi posted:

After a lot of fighting my stupid new model 1 it's finally modded properly with s-video and rca audio coming directly off the audio chip instead of through the headphone jack. It sounds way better and looks just as sexy. Now if only there was a way to get a Mega Everdrive with a shell :negative:

So how do you do the audio part, and are there instructions somewhere?

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Uncle Jenkins posted:

If that's true would you be willing to part with the spinning module?

Right now a local friend has dibs for it to help decorate a fancy World of Nintendo retail case he's got. If he falls through on it though, I'll let you know.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Caitlin posted:

For anyone in the Chicagoland area, Galloping Ghost is having a swap meet tomorrow starting at 11AM.

I know I'll sure as hell be there.

There is also currently a Groupon available for passes in lots of 2 for $14 or 4 for $24. I sure as hell bought THAT, too.

Dammit to hell. This was new glasses/taxes/rent paycheck or I would be there, oh well I'll keep it in mind for next year.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Giant Bomb mentioned the Halcyon game console on their live stream today: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halcyon_(console)
Anyone ever see one? Anyone have one? Seems like it's probably the rarest console brought to market. I could see it being a good holy grail target for collecting.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Midnight Raider posted:

And just when I settled on trying to find a model 1 and a headphones-to-component adapter to have the best Sega sound possible. :argh:

So how do you do the audio part, and are there instructions somewhere?

If you search YouTube there's a really good video that explains it. Basically on the Sony dac (it's right next to the headphone slider) pin 1 is left and pin 8 is right audio. Then you just need a common ground and you have line out. Just be aware the audio is completely unamplified so it will be quiet compared to any other system. The idea is you run it through your receiver or amplifier for a cleaner signal compared to the clipping that occurs with the headphone jack.

Edit: sorry for the mobile link but here's the video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OBalxMi20Yc

Edit x2: if you just want svideo/RCA out ignore everything but pins 1 & 8 on the dac and 15 & 16 on the video decoder as well as the 5v line. That's all you need aside from common ground

flyboi fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 2, 2013

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

Chainclaw posted:

Giant Bomb mentioned the Halcyon game console on their live stream today: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halcyon_(console)
Anyone ever see one? Anyone have one? Seems like it's probably the rarest console brought to market. I could see it being a good holy grail target for collecting.

According to Google Images it looks like an '80s stereo with a keyboard:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Wotalt posted:

It was an 80s stereo with a laser disc player.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I found a good thread on Digitpress on it
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?89038-RDI-Halcyon-Exposed-with-Pics-(lots-of-pics-56k-beware)
Looking up the price in inflation calculators, it released at $2500 in 1985, which is about $5500 in today's money. That is just insane.

Here's a trailer for the console
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4HyBLgmRlw

Here are trailers for games never released for it
Shadow of the Stars http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1QVh22keuc
Orpheus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJmdbk9kOrw
Voyage to the New World http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozNrWg7hwGU
The Spirit of the Whittier Mansion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJMoTC_yqZk

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Can someone help me locate a powered scart splitter that isn't 100$ shipped to USA?

I want to use one input going to my trinitron and also to the XRGB-mini at the same time. I found one but it was in Australia and would cost me a bill.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 2, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

40 OZ posted:

Can someone help me locate a powered scart splitter that isn't 100$ shipped to USA?

I want to use one source on my trinitron and have the other going to the XRGB-mini at the same time. I found one but it was in Australia and would cost me a bill.

That's the unfortunate downside in using SCART in the US. At least for a decent SCART switch that won't have crosstalk and signal degradation.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 2, 2013

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

SneakyCracker posted:

OK, so... old consoles. I have them. NES, SNES, N64, etc and modest game collections for them (20 - 40 games each). My problem, like most people with old consoles these days, is how do I go about playing them, what with no CRT TVs left in the house? Due to the layout of my living room and the distances involved between my TV and couch, I'd prefer to figure out the best way to simply hook consoles up to a spare 15" LCD monitor in my office via VGA, or though my PC somehow.

To be honest, if you've got the space I'd go find a CRT TV, preferably one with S-video. It'll look better than an LCD, and you won't have any input delay. They're pretty cheap about thrift shops or Goodwill-like places.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

40 OZ posted:

I want to use one input going to my trinitron and also to the XRGB-mini at the same time. I found one but it was in Australia and would cost me a bill.

Does it need to be powered? There's a very good one for around $70 USD that has no signal degradation .

Wotalt posted:

Has Krikzz started working on a flashcart for it yet?

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Chainclaw posted:

Someone in the Reddit gamecollecting group spent a few months researching the RDI Halcyon and ended up deciding to not count it as a "released" console for his collection. I didn't see a whole lot of information floating around about it when I was looking out of curiosity, but it looks like the only existing consoles are in the hands of certain former shareholders and maybe Rick Dyer. None of the people this guy contacted are even remotely interested in selling.

EDIT: He did end up contacting one person (I don't believe it was Rick Dyer, but I could be wrong) who apparently has all of the major software assets for the few existing RDI games. He's definitely not sharing or selling it. It's unlikely that any of this will ever show up on the collecting market.

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 2, 2013

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I know there's a ridiculous trailer for it (dude talking to the console in his weird futuristic living room) on the Dragon's Lair 20th Anniversary box set but that's about it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

shymog posted:

EDIT: He did end up contacting one person (I don't believe it was Rick Dyer, but I could be wrong) who apparently has all of the major software assets for the few existing RDI games. He's definitely not sharing or selling it. It's unlikely that any of this will ever show up on the collecting market.

I dunno, the unreleased atari games eventually found a way to get reproductions made. However nobody has any clue what happened to the Sword Quest rewards.

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)

Chainclaw posted:

I have one of these! My uncle was friends with Rick Dyer back in those days, I'm not entirely sure as to how. I used the Halcyon LD box as my LD player in my bedroom from the time I was a kid in the 80's up until DVDs came out in the late 90's. I still have the game console box, the Halcyon system itself, and a beta version of the Halcyon speech box itself, all in working condition. I have Thayer's Quest and that weird rear end Raiders/Chargers game. This is coming from the uncle that my parents told I wanted a Super Nintendo for Christmas (we were poor at the time) and he went to CompUSA in Dallas and couldn't remember the name of the system so he bought me a Neo Geo AES with Magician Lord and Fatal Fury (the only games I still own for the system). I had a really weird console upbringing. All my old electronics are in storage at my parent's place currently.They are moving in the next 2-3 weeks and so am I. I'll now have room for all my old poo poo so I'll post some pics of this crazy loving system (and all my old cib consoles) soon. I never even knew how expensive the Halcyon was, I'd be interested in knowing what one CIB might be worth now, but I'd never part with it.

in_absentia fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 2, 2013

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)

shymog posted:

Someone in the Reddit gamecollecting group spent a few months researching the RDI Halcyon and ended up deciding to not count it as a "released" console for his collection. I didn't see a whole lot of information floating around about it when I was looking out of curiosity, but it looks like the only existing consoles are in the hands of certain former shareholders and maybe Rick Dyer. None of the people this guy contacted are even remotely interested in selling.

Holy poo poo, didn't figure it was that drat rare. I figured some people out in California or something would have a few floating around. I'm just a normal nerd in Jackson, MS.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
You were poor but got a Neo Geo? Do you happen to have an uncle who worked at Nintendo as well? :hmm:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Got my FlashBoy+ in the mail today. The current guy in the UK who is manufacturing them started 3D printing his carts instead of killing donor carts which is really nice.

Also got a MSSIAH for my C64, it's so good.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

in_absentia posted:

Holy poo poo, didn't figure it was that drat rare. I figured some people out in California or something would have a few floating around. I'm just a normal nerd in Jackson, MS.

I've never seen one, come to think of it I don't even know anyone who has seen one. I do know that I'd sell a car or two to afford one if I ever found one for sale though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The Orange Mage posted:

You were poor but got a Neo Geo? Do you happen to have an uncle who worked at Nintendo as well? :hmm:

The Neo Geo is what made his family poor.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I wish I had a second Saturn and extra TV around because I need to see how Roommate actually pans out

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

The Orange Mage posted:

He said his family asked his uncle for a Super Nintendo for Christmas because HIS family was poor. That doesn't necessarily make his uncle poor?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
If I were a dad back when the Neo Geo was big, and I had to choose between it and feeding my kids, I would educate my children on the nutritional benefits of cardboard and polystyrene packing foam. The Neo Geo had a big box, right? :v:

Come on, Pulstar! Viewpoint! Last Resort! Pffft, people can go a long time without eating. I'll get another paycheck. :colbert:

e. Also, my parents were llllllooooooowwwwwwwer middle class, yet bought me an SNES near-launch. My parents were unimaginably awesome, and that was probably a big sacrifice for them. They got me a Super Scope 6 also, because they were The Best Parents Ever.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

My single mother got me an snes with Donkey Kong Country and Link to the Past; and she spent her precious free time talking with clerks at local game shops about good games for the snes, before she decided to buy Lttp. My mom is the bestest mom.

And my father got me a used original gameboy with no games for christmas; also he left the $15 price tag on. He wasn't quite as an impressive parent.

vkeios fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

vkeios posted:

My single mother got me an snes with Donkey Kong Country and Link to the Past; and she spent her precious free time talking with clerks at local game shops about good games for the snes, before she decided to buy Lttp. My mom is the bestest mom.

And my father got me a used original gameboy with no games for christmas; also he left the $15 price tag on. He wasn't quite as an impressive parent.

My first console that was all my own was a Play it Loud Transparent Gameboy from my Dad. It came with that snazzy clear plastic case and the Game & Watch Collection. A few years later he got me an N64 with Star Wars: Pod Racer too. I've still got both, and they work as well as they did the day I opened the boxes :allears:. Every console and game since those I saved up and bought myself with my meager pocket money in my teens. It's part of why I like to get the occasional Collector's Edition nowadays too - As a kid/teen I either didn't have the right machine, missed the preorder date, or it was just way too much for little kid me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

vkeios posted:

My niece's father did similar. Between the three of them (they were 9, 11 and 13), their Christmas present was.. a hand-me-down Game Boy Colour that belonged to his step-children. No battery cover, big gashes in the screen, no games. Meanwhile his step-kids got cool stuff. This was in 2011.

He's a real piece of poo poo.

• Locked thread