Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Good god. I never really stopped to think about just how dickish the Ghost Village was. It certainly was where I stopped when I borrowed this game from a friend as a child. Even if I had made it, the next chapter would have stopped me cold because I didn't have... well, you know. The thing.

Also I'm pretty sure the Shyguy face is supposed to be a skull, with the bottom tiles as "teeth".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

FreezingInferno posted:

Also I'm pretty sure the Shyguy face is supposed to be a skull, with the bottom tiles as "teeth".

Spoooooooooky :ghost:

thevoiceofdog fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 2, 2013

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012
I just realized that I forgot to upscale the video so it doesn't go through Youtube's legacy pipeline. I'll fix that and re-upload it later today.

MooCowlian posted:

Is this exactly the same as DDP: Blissful Death, on iOS? I haven't noticed any differences, but I've never managed to get through it on the higher difficulties without burning through continues and bombs and relying on luck.
I believe so, except they added difficulty levels, and I heard that the intentional slowdown was removed. This would obviously make some sections of the game really hard. Other than that, it seems to be the same game.

HGH posted:

I've always wanted to see a commentated run of this kind of game. I find it fascinating how players can get through them and always wondered what's going on through their heads while they do so. This is looking pretty good so far. I also really like the music in these Cave games, I think it's as under-appreciated as the graphics someone mentioned earlier. Though I think there's supposed to be a high resolution remake coming out soon?
The series got REALLY weird later though. Especially the newest game with its "difficulty" selection and extra boss. Speaking of which, what the heck are those stills during the intermission/stage score supposed to be? As far as I know, this game doesn't seem to have much of a plot.
Also, does Black Label add the HIVAC/Zatsuza, or am I thinking of something else? The Dodonpachi series seems to have to really confusing names for their different games.

One last thing. Does the game have a large emphasis on bullet cancelling or is that strictly in sequels/Ketsui?
I don't know if there's going to be an HD remake, but the original 360 port was terrible as it was actually the source code of the PS2 version with a few modifications, so it didn't go over well. If they are remaking it though, I haven't heard about it.

The game does indeed have a plot. In fact Cave games are known for having a rather dark/depressing end, and since Daioujou is part of their flagship series... Yeah. I don't think it's true for all of their games, but I can't read Japanese so I can't be sure. The cut ins are just snapshots of the dolls that help to pilot the ships. I did misspeak in the commentary when I said that you're picking your pilot. You're actually picking the combat doll that will help you out with acquiring targets and the like. They each do have their own distinct endings too, but again, they're in Japanese.
And for the spoiler, you're thinking of the sequel, DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu. That's the one that has crossover content from Cave's other famous shmup, Ketsui.

And on bullet cancelling, the Cave game that I'm aware of that has a heavy emphasis on that is Espgaluda. There is bullet cancelling in all of the other Cave games, but they're only in a few select places, and in Daioujou in particular, I don't think they add to your points, except during Hypers. Stage 3 of Daioujou does have a bunch of enemies that cancel bullets when you kill them though. Usually, bullet cancelling in Daioujou only takes place when a miniboss or several other big enemy types die.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Vagithug posted:

That ending was definitely something alright. What happens if you don't destroy the segments on the final boss, instant game over?

I'm pretty sure it'll let you start over actually. Of course you'd have to be really drat incompetent to die to the last boss in normal mode (expert is a different story as... we will see. Or maybe won't, if he gives up. :v:)

Level 6 plays way differently in the Japanese version.

You see that weird Israel flag pattern at the bottom of the screen? (There's an identical one at the top too, but they flash too drat fast to catch both at once) Those are barriers that if you graze them with a single pixel, you are dead. Have fun running across that long plank in 6-2!

Charkie
Jan 28, 2004

I AM THE WORLD'S
GREATEST DETECTIVE
The levels in Silver Surfer are finally starting to get interesting...

...and that's the last level! Thanks for watching!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Everybody's posting their last level videos today. Guess I'd better get in on the trend! The final boss of Eryi's Action is one that I still believe Dectilon will enjoy, especially now that I've finally gotten around to watching one of the Gradius V videos. I think Farta presents much of the same challenge he describes in that game and is a very fun fight. Before that, though, Eryi has to climb a tower that's full of intimidating rooms, but there's a checkpoint in each one, so death costs even less than it usually does. The challenges may require a bit more than the usual amount of reflexes and skill, but you just have to complete one short room to make definite progress. The traps are particularly insidious, though, so proceed at your own risk.

Level 10 and Final Blip Youtube

EX mode is next, but it may take a while - I really want to get a complete run, but when I tried it yesterday, I got to the first checkpoint in level 8 with 27 lives in reserve and lost them all without making any further progress. I have to figure out that stupid teddy bear, but I have to beat seven and a half levels again to have another try.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Awesome. That death montage song is the best.

And to consistently get past the teddy bear, just *do not* look back, ever. A light tap forward after hopping straight up onto him pretty much gives you all the momentum you need to ride him and jump off at the last moment.

Tomapella
Aug 18, 2007

It's only fair to tell you,
I'm absolutely cuckoo.

Reverend Cheddar posted:

I'm pretty sure it'll let you start over actually. Of course you'd have to be really drat incompetent to die to the last boss in normal mode (expert is a different story as... we will see. Or maybe won't, if he gives up. :v:)

Level 6 plays way differently in the Japanese version.

You see that weird Israel flag pattern at the bottom of the screen? (There's an identical one at the top too, but they flash too drat fast to catch both at once) Those are barriers that if you graze them with a single pixel, you are dead. Have fun running across that long plank in 6-2!

Wow, that's quite a switch up for what's normally a pretty easy stage once you get used to the gimmick. I guess if anything the NA version was toned down for us incompetent gaijin. Also, I think it's even uglier in the Japanese version.

Tomapella fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 3, 2013

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nidoking you are a horrible tease :(

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
Well, it still looks like an inferior version of the games it's emulating/spoofing. I never played Eryi's Action past the first level though.

Okay, I think that last level settles it. The developers gave zero shits on what the actual themes were and just threw in whatever they felt like. Why is Mr.Sinister a purple streaker in space? We will never know.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Nidoking posted:

Eryi's Action

I... I'm really disturbed by something about this game. Why do the chomping plants and spikes have to shred the cute chibi girl's clothes? :gonk: It just seems wrong, considering the rest of the aesthetic of the game. Everything else is so cartoony, and :3:, but that particular aspect is just creepy.

Maybe I'm just making too much out of it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

azren posted:

I... I'm really disturbed by something about this game. Why do the chomping plants and spikes have to shred the cute chibi girl's clothes? :gonk: It just seems wrong, considering the rest of the aesthetic of the game. Everything else is so cartoony, and :3:, but that particular aspect is just creepy.

I'm pretty sure it was an attempt to add more variety to the deaths by not reusing the same animation for too many situations. Possibly a misguided attempt, or an attempt that added a completely different problem, but I just try to ignore that aspect of it and focus on the rest of the game, particularly not letting the same thing happen again.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

azren posted:

People losing their clothes when becoming victims of shredding devices or animals used to be a fairly common visual gag in the cartoons I watched as a kid; I think you people are looking too much into it by attributing it a sexual element.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ghosts and Goblins was totally erotica.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Nephilm posted:

People losing their clothes when becoming victims of shredding devices or animals used to be a fairly common visual gag in the cartoons I watched as a kid; I think you people are looking too much into it by attributing it a sexual element.
Seriously. Would he prefer she be torn to bloody bits instead?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Seriously. Would he prefer she be torn to bloody bits instead?

Fair enough. As I said, I'm probably just taking it too seriously.

Tomapella
Aug 18, 2007

I'm absolutely cuckoo.
Alright, short Metal Storm update today. I actually recorded all the footage for stage 2 earlier and let me tell you, there is a lot of it, so editing it will probably take some time. But in the meantime, stage 1 of expert mode isn't too hard. It has a lot more enemies than its first loop counterpart, but once you get used to their placements, it's pretty simple to kill most of them before they pose much of a threat.

Part 4 - That Wasn't So Bad! :haw: - YouTube

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Did the blue walkers and the wallcrawlers shoot on normal?

Tomapella
Aug 18, 2007

I'm absolutely cuckoo.

Dectilon posted:

Did the blue walkers and the wallcrawlers shoot on normal?

No, I forgot to mention that. Most enemies will fire at you on expert, which tripped me up at first.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Tomapella posted:

Part 4 - That Wasn't So Bad! :haw: - YouTube

Why do you call the little purple shooters "Dragon Guys"? I just see a purply gun thing.

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012
:siren: DoDonPachi Daioujou Black Label Stage 3! :siren:

Have an update! I actually expected the video to be a bit longer because I thought there was more slowdown during the stage, but I guess not. I had to rush things a bit because of that, so I'll supplement the videos with some explanation of some other stuff.

Oh also a quick note that's far more relevant to the video. I noticed in the final review of the video that the enemies seem to turn blue every 2 seconds or so when I hit them. In the actual game, they flicker blue when you hit them. I'm just recording and posting the videos at 30 FPS, so the flicker doesn't show that well.

I'll also start including links to the BGM we've heard. This game has an absolutely fantastic score, and it would be a shame if you only got to hear me blabbing over it. I do very much love stage 3's music too. So a quick music section:

DoDonPachi Daioujou Music

Stage 1 BGM

Boss Track

Stage 2 BGM

Stage 3 BGM

------

I'm not sure if I really talked about slowdown, but the game does have intentional slowdown at parts. There seems to be a maximum number of bullets that can be on screen at once before the game forces intentional slowdown. I'm not sure if this was included as a limitation of what could be drawn safely on screen at any given time or if it was included as a helping hand to the player. Probably a bit of both.

The game also has a ranking system. I explained a bit of it in the video, but the exact details are as follows. There are two kinds of rank in the game. One is tied to your current amount of resources, and the other is tied to hypers. The resources rank is calculated based on your current number of lives and whether you are at maximum bombs or not (i.e. when your bomb counter at the bottom reads "maximum" instead of giving you a number. This makes it so Exy, who can only have 2 bombs total, has a harder time throughout the game as she will be at maximum bombs more often. Shotia and Leinyan have a tougher time reaching maximum, so they have a slightly easier time.) I believe resources rank raises the overall difficulty (shot speed, number of bullets fired, how often bullets are fired, etc.) Hyper rank though is basically only raised whenever you hyper. That only increases shot speed. Hypering also has the side effect of killing enemies faster, which means they won't be able to fire as much, which then means that you won't get the intentional slowdown either. So hypering is a bit of a double edged sword. However, you can actually cancel out of a hyper by bombing.

Since I just talked about resources, I should also talk about the lives system a bit. You always start with 2 extra lives, and you can get up to 3 extra lives. You get one life at each of 20 million and 50 million points, and another 1-up is rewarded during stage 4, but I'll talk about that in that video. The point values may seem intimidating, but the scoring in this game is actually exponential, so even if you don't get the bees or score, you will definitely get all the extra extends possible by the fifth stage.

And last thing to note is the hyper system. At the end of the video, I mentioned the bars at the top left of the screen. That bar is your hyper counter, and it fills up from chaining, getting bees, dying, and some other stuff. When it fills up, that's when a hyper floats down from the top of the screen. You can hold up to 5 hypers at any given time, and the number of hyper items you have when you use it determines the duration and power of the hyper, as well as the chaining bonus it provides. And try not to use a hyper when there's another one of those on the screen. The uncollected one will change into a large star item, which definitely isn't that useful. You could see it happen in the latter half of stage 2 in my video. Kind of sucked, but oh well.

I could also talk about how perfectly the stage 3 enemies are placed, but given how I don't score in this game, I might not be doing it justice. I think it'd be best to just note that it is possible, even though it's hard, to keep a chain up through the entirety of a stage up to the boss. Given how quickly the chain meter falls (you can see in my videos that I can't hold a chain for beans), each enemy has to be placed so that full stage chaining is possible for the hardcore gamers, but they can't be placed in such a way so that beginner players aren't completely turned off by the game. I think they succeed masterfully at this, but that might just be me.

I'm not sure if I got the major points of the game's system across, but do tell me if anything confuses you and I'll explain it to the best of my ability.

Tomapella
Aug 18, 2007

I'm absolutely cuckoo.

Domus posted:

Why do you call the little purple shooters "Dragon Guys"? I just see a purply gun thing.

I dunno, I think it does look more like a dragon head than a turret, and it shoots fire at you where most other enemies shoot bullets. I've never really thought about it, it's just what I thought of them as when I was a kid and it's hard to break that impression.

Also, DDPDOJ stage 3. This is the point where my game usually comes to an end.

Tomapella
Aug 18, 2007

I'm absolutely cuckoo.
Sorry for the double post, but I present the second stage of expert mode, which didn't take much video editing at all, as it turns out. This video is sponsored by Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA, or at least it might be if they knew about it. I definitely have had more than enough of it over the course of this video's creation.

Part 5 - Abrupt Change In Tone - YouTube

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

LEVEL 5 - METEOR

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

So the way to make an interesting asteroid level is to add a thousand more rocks? Interesting. I really like the way you HAVE to leave rocks in the way of the boss to keep your maneuverability, that's really clever. The "abandoned colony" feel of the level makes it work too.

None of our Gradius staple in the asteroid field though :(

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Well, there's more of everything in Gradius 5 since your options are so strong. The difference in G5 from most games that have splitting, bouncing obstacles (like the bubbles in g3) is that they're not really there to kill you on their own. You do cut through the meteors fairly quickly. What they end up doing instead is blocking your shots from hitting priority targets like cannons, and they continuously push you to the back of the screen which means you'll have to eventually do something clever if you don't want to get crushed.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Seeing the crazy stuff that Gradius V throws at you still makes me regret never getting this game.

The boss seems really cool on how it does throw unending amounts of death towards you, you also got the asteroids, which would normally get in your way, also get in the way of the boss's attacks. I really like that idea.

Man, watching your run of this game makes me want to dig up Gradius Gaiden and replay that. Since i never played Gradius V, Gaiden was by far my favorite because of all the unique designs it throws at you. I'm almost tempted to take a shot at LPing it.
Almost.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Go for it! If 5 didn't exist, Gaiden would be the best in the series by far, and I still think it takes it by a bit. Can I request that if you do, you show off one of the ships that ISN'T the Vic Viper? As interesting as a Double that's actually useful for once is, there's three entire ships that you just never see on Youtube and such, people always feel like they have to pick the classic option to show off the game.

Tomapella
Aug 18, 2007

I'm absolutely cuckoo.
Even years later this game still looks so great. Like you said, asteroid levels are tough to get looking nice, but they did such a good job with it.

I'd like to see Gaiden done if XavierGenesi is up for it, too, it's another really solid entry in the series.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

I would love to play this level in the graphical style of Asteroids.

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012
Oh wow that level looks amazing. The concept for it is just fantastic. I do quite like how the game takes advantage of the unique way that your options move in Gradius and use it to work some very interesting obstacles in there. The only problem with the stage is that it looks relatively bland in comparison to everything else we've seen so far in the game. Compared with everything else I've seen so far, the background is terribly bland, and the level doesn't really make a huge visual impact. That being said though, the gimmick of the level more than makes up for it.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Tomapella posted:

Sorry for the double post, but I present the second stage of expert mode, which didn't take much video editing at all, as it turns out. This video is sponsored by Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA, or at least it might be if they knew about it. I definitely have had more than enough of it over the course of this video's creation.

Part 5 - Abrupt Change In Tone - YouTube

Yesss it begins :getin: I couldn't get past level 2 as a kid precisely because of that bullshit jump in the first half.

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW

We're back to main levels now, and after a chat with some of the crew, we'll enter one of the less intense, but more fun, areas of the game. Enjoy!

This time you heard:
Pressure Cooker

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

My personal favorite song in the game. Entire soundtrack is great, of course, but there's something about this one I just adore.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
Oh! It seems the end of the video cuts off prematurely?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Yeah, the Warp Zone's my favourite area too - much more relaxed and puzzly than the Laboratory or Space Station 2.

Edge Games is a horrible trinket for me, though - one of the three I don't have, along with Doing Things The Hard Way and Prize For The Reckless. I just can't cope with switching my focus across the screen that quickly.

Re the previous video, yaaay Vitellary. I ended up rescuing Victoria second in my own playthrough, so it's nice to see him talking all about bringing checkpoints back for study and so on rather than having Victoria constantly go :ohdear:.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The characters in this game are really good at turning those frowns upside-down.

VietTam
Jul 17, 2008

Eat it, nerd!
The name of Edge Games, when I first played this game, for some reason gave me the idea that the way to get the trinket was to warp at the same time as the enemies so that you passed them in the edge.

I actually managed this a few times before giving up and leaving.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Phiggle posted:

We're back to main levels now, and after a chat with some of the crew, we'll enter one of the less intense, but more fun, areas of the game. Enjoy!

This is easily my favourite level in the game. I've always been a fan of screen wrapping as a game mechanic. It opens up a lot of possibilities for gameplay, and this does not disappoint. It's one area in the game where you really miss out when you see someone else play through it first. For instance, going through The Brown Gate (11:40), what I, and a few people I've seen, did was fall up, but it doesn't work.

quote:

This time you heard:
Pressure Cooker
Did you know that the random distorted voice clips are processed clips of Terry Cavanagh saying "V" in as many different ways as possible? I can't find where I learned that, but I'm pretty sure it was in an interview with Souleye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

unpronounceable posted:

Did you know that the random distorted voice clips are processed clips of Terry Cavanagh saying "V" in as many different ways as possible? I can't find where I learned that, but I'm pretty sure it was in an interview with Souleye.

It's in the RRRRRReadme you get when you download PPPPPP

quote:

Hi there!

Thanks for getting PPPPPP, the soundtrack for VVVVVV.

I hope you enjoy the music as much as I've done creating it.
Here are a few things about this release that you might be fun to know:

* The songs are mp3s in 320 kbps to ensure good quality. Most of the mp3s are meant to loop which doesn't always "work" when listening to them in sequence. Therefore they don't have proper "endings". This is also why I included a short silent file that's played between each song if you use the playlist and want to hear everything.

* The song "Presenting VVVVVV" has me saying "v" lots of times. If you don't know it you might not even notice.

* For the song "Pressure cooker", I had Terry say "v" on MSN in different ways, took one of the soundfiles and processed it a little. So that's him you hear there.

* My cover art is not using any special dimensions, just two same-sized pictures. You'll keep the music in your mp3 player or on harddrive anyway, won't you?

* The song "Popular potpourri" has a small chunk of every other tune in game during the break parts in addition to it being it's own song. Hence its long length.

* My own four favorite songs among all these are...

1) Potential for Anything
2) Positive force
3) Pipe Dream
4) Pressure cooker

* The bonus song "Waiting for VVVVVV" (loosely based on Stephen Lynch's "super hero") is a joke between me, Deceased Crab, and Terry Cavanagh. It's not featured in the game in any way (doesn't even start with P, to indicate this), but I thought it'd be fun to include anyway. It's me singing with my guitalele into a cheap noisy microphone, and is totally unprocessed except for normalization. I don't claim to be a great singer or a good gitaleleist, but if the song puts a smile on your face then my goal was accomplished! :)

* PPPPPP stands for some things that can be good to have in life: Persistance, Power, Positivity, Passion, Potential and Purpose. And it went well with VVVVVV.

Again, thanks for your support. Spread the word if you like my stuff, and maybe I'll make music for another game!
Also I'd like to thank Terry for allowing me onboard the journey of creating the fantastic piece of software that VVVVVV is. Be sure to check out http://www.distractionware.com for his future stuff if you aren't already.

- Magnus Pålsson, 100110

[ http://souleye.madtracker.net ]

Don't ask how Deceased Crab got in there.

• Locked thread